Biometric scanners at Swampy

Looks like the biometric scanners have been installed at Swampy. The procedure will involve:

1. Scan four fingers right hand

2. Scan four fingers left hand

3. Scan both thumbs

The scanners also seem quite small to accommodate the four fingers of large hands.

The procedure is far more complicated than Singapore or malarial.  Expect long delays.

Just now, bluesofa said:

I hope they don't do intimate cavity searches in the same queue.

Retinal eye scans are next.  And you will get to stick your eyes into a laser scanner built by a company that was the low bidder on a government contract!  Had to use those at one installation I used to go to when I was in the US Air Force.  I conveniently and accidentally kept forgetting to get my "account" set up every time I was TDY there so I was able to enter by the normal manual security process.

27 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

Are you sure about the four fingers?

Cambodia and Malaysia require only the two index fingers to be scanned. 

Cambodia PoiPet land border wanted all 10 fingers in January.

Cambodia Binh Heip land border didn't bother at all this month.

Cambodia Phnom Penh airport didn't bother either.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

Are you sure about the four fingers?

Cambodia and Malaysia require only the two index fingers to be scanned. 

Absolutely. Read the procedure while waiting for IO to stamp me out.

Edited by mngmn

presumed guilty on arrival... great tone setting....do foreigners have a higher percentage of criminiality than Thais...? I doubt it.

They want more tourists yet they have to get the joy of the last person's fingers scan sludge all on their fingers to be sure to pick up some awful airport bug...sure they will have no sanitiser to keep it hygienic...so it is just going to accumulate all day long with bugs with the sheer volume of human traffic...GREAT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Traubert said:

I wouldn't leave the house if I was you. It's dangerous out there. ????

I believed before the road Thailand is dangerous, but now also microbes finger scan airport also ???? milliards microbes take and not said thank you????forbidden to suck your fingers

• Like 1

5 hours ago, freedomnow said:

presumed guilty on arrival... great tone setting....do foreigners have a higher percentage of criminiality than Thais...? I doubt it.

They want more tourists yet they have to get the joy of the last person's fingers scan sludge all on their fingers to be sure to pick up some awful airport bug...sure they will have no sanitiser to keep it hygienic...so it is just going to accumulate all day long with bugs with the sheer volume of human traffic...GREAT.

It will not be all day long, it is impossible; they will have to wipe it clean every so often.
That is why you have hand sanitiser / wetwipes handy when you travel. The same applies to any door handles, public toilets and so on.

Do you really think governments do things like this based on reasoning like that. It is a global trend, the technology has become more pervasive.
EU visa requires biometrics, so you have to go to an embassy to apply for a visa...or at least i do - because VFS [outsource visa services] used by most countries don't do it. ...Or, I suppose, the countries don't want it outsourced.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

Never met a good english speaking thai on their airports.

I'm sure their English is better than your Thai ????

Edited by CH1961
misspelled
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, cerox said:

Thank you for the valuable information.

You said when they stamped you out? So at departure, not arrival?

How long did everything take?

Departing next week too at that airport.????

The scanners were not in use but based on my experience at Malaysia and Singapore is going to cause huge queues.

16 hours ago, Cat ji said:

EU visa requires biometrics, so you have to go to an embassy to apply for a visa...or at least i do - because VFS [outsource visa services] used by most countries don't do it. ...Or, I suppose, the countries don't want it outsourced.

That is not true, VFS have been doing biometrics for the the UK for a long time. My wife has had 3 Schengen visas and only the German was done at the embassy, Spanish was at the VFS Spanish desk, and Malta at the VFS Austrian desk.

Outsourcing has become a way of life for visa applications, even the Chinese have turned to it in the last couple of years, but have yet to introduce biometrics.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Can you imagine a couple of A380's landing together and you get 800 passengers at the same time having to go thru immigration. It was bad before, but this is going to be very interesting, especially when a fault develops.

At Don Muang Wednesday morning 9:30am, immigration was completely empty, apart from the VOA room which was jam packed. I was really surprised.

Edited by BritManToo

On 4/19/2019 at 6:39 AM, gk10002000 said:

Be prepared to take off shoes for foot print like baby scanning next.

No problem, I would have thought. They already make you take your shoes off for the security checks, so just don't put 'em back on until you've passed through Immigration!????

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

At Phnom Penh I was said that if they already have your fingerprints then they don't ask again at next travels.

So every country starts to take fingerprints of travellers (Singapore, Malaysia, Cambodia...) and it's ok, but when Thailand also starts to do it, you criticize Thailand...?? :ermm:

No, I criticise them all...just more biometric data they can wield against people to track them and no-one usually objects. USA doing 90%+ face biometrics at exit airports soon, and its all open to future abuse.

So much of this police state tracking stuff is being brought in on 'it's to get the bad guys' and the lemmings sit back and take it step-by-step.

Edited by freedomnow
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I believe there are restrooms at Swampy where one can wash their hands if they are concerned about cleanliness. Aren't you overreacting a little?

Buuuuuuugs man, they are everywheeeeeere !

man-cleaning-wall-350.jpg

Edited by freedomnow