Biometric scanners at Swampy

These are in at Koh Samui too

System seems clunky, had to do mine numerous times to register.  Wait time was a lot longer.

4 fingers each hand and your thumbs and yes the pad is on the small side, probably why it has problems registering (and I'm not fat )

They've had them operating at Hat Yai Airport since mid-February.

4 fingers right, 4 fingers left, then thumbs together and smile for the camera.

I was beginning to wonder if it was just an extra security check for the south, given our troubles, glad to hear the other airports have caught up.

On 4/20/2019 at 4:40 AM, Pattaya46 said:

At Phnom Penh I was said that if they already have your fingerprints then they don't ask again at next travels.

That would make the main benefit of having fingerprints useless, main purpose is check individual travelling is indeed who passport was originally issued to and fingerprinting every time makes it real hard use modified black market passports .

Don't check it everytime and it nothing but expensive gimmick .

Can't see it it being enforced well in thailand once equipment and servers neglected .

Just look at the piles of forms dumped 5ft high at bangkok immigration, they really cutting edge on data management .

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is a crude name for Suvarnabhumi international airport (BKK) in Bangkok.

It comes from the airport being built on a swamp.

I see, I may have a emergency to go to Singapore for banking services. Will I be possible to make a re entry from Phuket airport? However my residence is at Pattaya however they does not have the timing I want to fly to Singapore from Pattaya. 

1 minute ago, damen said:

Will I be possible to make a re entry from Phuket airport?

It is iffy there from what I have read. They have no set hours they work. I have heard they are only open when the immigration office is closed.

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is a crude name for Suvarnabhumi international airport (BKK) in Bangkok.

It comes from the airport being built on a swamp.

Can never remember how to spell which is the main reason for 'Swampy'. Also it is not phonetic so always mispronounced by visitors. Soowanaboom world be the closest phonetic spelling on my opinion.

Thanks. What i said was based on Germany.  And one other, i can't remember.

I'll adjust my understanding of EU and Schengen zone visa slightly. I thought it was about standardisation and so on, to make thing easier for people. hhh..hhh..hhh

PS: Ah, ok, this is the emoji set that doesn't include the machine guns firing emojis...or the whipping emoji.  FTA.

On 4/19/2019 at 11:06 AM, Cat ji said:

[...]

EU visa requires biometrics, so you have to go to an embassy to apply for a visa...or at least i do - because VFS [outsource visa services] used by most countries don't do it. ...Or, I suppose, the countries don't want it outsourced.

On 4/20/2019 at 3:30 AM, sandyf said:

That is not true, VFS have been doing biometrics for the the UK for a long time. My wife has had 3 Schengen visas and only the German was done at the embassy, Spanish was at the VFS Spanish desk, and Malta at the VFS Austrian desk.

Outsourcing has become a way of life for visa applications, even the Chinese have turned to it in the last couple of years, but have yet to introduce biometrics.

On 4/26/2019 at 8:21 AM, mngmn said:

Can never remember how to spell which is the main reason for 'Swampy'. Also it is not phonetic so always mispronounced by visitors. Soowanaboom world be the closest phonetic spelling on my opinion.

You are probably right, the reference to being on a swamp is probably a rumour. Relatively speaking it is on high ground, during the heavy rains of 2011, unlike DM and large parts of Bangkok the airport was free from flooding. There is a fair amount of farming in the area that uses water which may give the appearance of wet ground.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

You are probably right, the reference to being on a swamp is probably a rumour.

It was really wetlands but was called a swamp.

They moved in a lot of landfill to build the airport and installed a good drainage system.

You have to remember how many decades Don Mueang has been there.

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It was really wetlands but was called a swamp.

They moved in a lot of landfill to build the airport and installed a good drainage system.

You have to remember how many decades Don Mueang has been there.

Wasn't around 1922 Don Muang opened commercially?

6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Wasn't around 1922 Don Muang opened commercially?

Opened in 1924 for commercial flights according to Wiki.

The airport is considered to be one of the world's oldest international airports and Asia's oldest operating airport.[2] It was officially opened as a Royal Thai Air Force base on 27 March 1914, although it had been in use earlier. Commercial flights began in 1924, making it one of the world's oldest commercial airports. The first commercial flight was an arrival by KLM Royal Dutch Airlines.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Mueang_International_Airport

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2019 at 8:30 AM, sandyf said:

Outsourcing has become a way of life for visa applications, even the Chinese have turned to it in the last couple of years, but have yet to introduce biometrics.

I was just in China a couple of days ago and they are scanning fingerprints of all ten fingers.

7 hours ago, Dave98 said:

I was just in China a couple of days ago and they are scanning fingerprints of all ten fingers.

I was referring to a comment that had been made regarding biometrics during visa application rather than airports. I have recently picked up visa for China and there was no biometrics taken, but may not be far away from what you say.

Looks like we can expect bit of a queue at immigration when we go to Guangzhou in June.

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

I was referring to a comment that had been made regarding biometrics during visa application rather than airports. I have recently picked up visa for China and there was no biometrics taken, but may not be far away from what you say.

Looks like we can expect bit of a queue at immigration when we go to Guangzhou in June.

I went in on a 24 hour transit visa due to missing my connecting flight, due to 4 hour delay in SFO.  They were scanning every foreigner's fingerprints as they went thru immigration.

22 hours ago, Dave98 said:

I went in on a 24 hour transit visa due to missing my connecting flight, due to 4 hour delay in SFO.  They were scanning every foreigner's fingerprints as they went thru immigration.

Way of the world these days. Every year my wife has had to give biometrics to get a UK visa and then again on entry. About 6 yeas age we went to KL and she had to give fingerprints and I didn't, that was a bit of a surprise, but they do everyone now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2019 at 9:42 AM, sandyf said:

You are probably right, the reference to being on a swamp is probably a rumour. Relatively speaking it is on high ground, during the heavy rains of 2011, unlike DM and large parts of Bangkok the airport was free from flooding. There is a fair amount of farming in the area that uses water which may give the appearance of wet ground.

The land the airport was was constructed on was previously a large swamp known as Nong Ngu Hao, or "cobra swamp", reportedly a habitat for snakes before it was built. 

14 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

The land the airport was was constructed on was previously a large swamp known as Nong Ngu Hao, or "cobra swamp", reportedly a habitat for snakes before it was built. 

Yes I did see that on Google and stand corrected. I was dubious as the land does not sit in a position to be a genuine swamp, they are normally created in low lying land adjacent to a water course.