Which bank book should I use? Retirement Extension

For Retirement Extension.  I have fixed deposit 1 mill and I have regular savings 1 mill showing transfer in of my pension and expenses both in and legal for 3 years.  Which one should I use.  I don't want to take both as they get confused easily. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

It might help if you tell us which office you will be using, some times there is a difference. Jomtiem, for example, are happy to accept either. Might also depend on whether each account has maintained the 2 (or is it 3?) month pre-seasoning. I once took both books to the bank when I was getting the letter and the bank seemed to prefer the savings account and issued the letter based on that. 

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It might help if you tell us which office you will be using, some times there is a difference. Jomtiem, for example, are happy to accept either. Might also depend on whether each account has maintained the 2 (or is it 3?) month pre-seasoning. I once took both books to the bank when I was getting the letter and the bank seemed to prefer the savings account and issued the letter based on that. 

Rayong and all accounts have been maintained up to balance for 20 years.

The bank of Bangkok lady said she would write for any of my accounts.

Edited by marcusarelus

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Rayong and all accounts have been maintained up to balance for 20 years.

I would just use the savings account unless you perceive maintaining that one at 800,000 for 3 months then 400,000 minimum etc as possible problem. 

21 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

just take the fixed account one,job done,less confusing

for the IO.don't forget to update on day you are doing extension.

regards Worgeordie

Can you update a fixed account in the 'hole in the wall'?

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I would just use the savings account unless you perceive maintaining that one at 800,000 for 3 months then 400,000 minimum etc as possible problem. 

Why, as the fixed deposit they only have to look at 2 numbers.  Seems simpler as there are no deposits or withdrawals.

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

just take the fixed account one,job done,less confusing

for the IO.don't forget to update on day you are doing extension.

regards Worgeordie

Take both, but only offer the fixed account at first, just in case.

In English 'Belt & Braces'

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

Take both, but only offer the fixed account at first, just in case.

Was thinking about that but don't want to get letters for both.  Seems with all the brain power and experience here we should be able to figure out something so simple. 

Edited by marcusarelus

7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Why, as the fixed deposit they only have to look at 2 numbers.  Seems simpler as there are no deposits or withdrawals.

Perhaps you have the past experience that Rayong will accept the FD account, I can't be certain. I only suggested the savings account as it is more likely OK.  Some IOs like to see the money is being 'used' to live off Just make your mind up as the bank letter and account must be the same one of course. 

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

don't think too much.  first answer was right one.(fixed acct)   easiest .    get letter from bank,  update when get letter, go to immig.     Usually you have a few days but some here say their IO wants same day that you go to immig.             

49 minutes ago, rumak said:

don't think too much.  first answer was right one.(fixed acct)   easiest .    get letter from bank,  update when get letter, go to immig.     Usually you have a few days but some here say their IO wants same day that you go to immig.             

same day as you get the letter? man, that would be a major thing in Chiangmai.... banks open at 8 something... it would be midday before we even get a queue number, which means a full day spent in the ‘weahng’ of Chiangmai at the least.  Yuk!

that can’t be.

example, your bank is in Sanpatong or even further out. and why wouldn’t it be? anything closer to the city of Chiangmai would really suck as a place to live.

Edited by WeekendRaider

1 hour ago, WeekendRaider said:

same day as you get the letter? man, that would be a major thing in Chiangmai.... banks open at 8 something... it would be midday before we even get a queue number, which means a full day spent in the ‘weahng’ of Chiangmai at the least.  Yuk!

that can’t be.

example, your bank is in Sanpatong or even further out. and why wouldn’t it be? anything closer to the city of Chiangmai would really suck as a place to live.

from my experience it DID NOT have to be same day .  but i think we always have to acknowledge that there are times when the "unexpected" happens at immig.   I never had a problem and think I usually got the letter and update day before I went.  Also, things move faster lately at CM .  This too could change , but reports from others here seem to say all goes much quicker if all is in order.

3 hours ago, sumrit said:

Both Thai bank accounts maintained for twenty years. You've obviously been here a long time ........... so this is not your first extension then. I'd use the bank account you used last time.

I have always used the regular savings account but with the new changes if Rayong is asking for a 90 bank book check it would be easier for them to look at a FD assuming they don't require another letter. 

No contest.

Use the account showing income as long as you have a transfer every month of at least 65K.

That way all your money is always available to do whatever you want with without potentially affecting your permission to stay.

34 minutes ago, elviajero said:

No contest.

Use the account showing income as long as you have a transfer every month of at least 65K.

That way all your money is always available to do whatever you want with without potentially affecting your permission to stay.

What happens if the exchange rate goes down further and I fall below the 65 and then I lose my extension?  What Immigration offices honor the income method as some of our posters don't think it is important to list them? 

25 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

What happens if the exchange rate goes down further and I fall below the 65 and then I lose my extension?  What Immigration offices honor the income method as some of our posters don't think it is important to list them? 

For the income option the exchange rate only matters on the date it was transferred in. If it came up short you could transfer more in during that month. It would be different though if you were transferring it into a foreign currency account (not sure immigration would accept it though).

All of them should accept the income option. I don't recall any confirmed report of it not being accepted.

25 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You won’t lose the current extension. And you always have the cash in the bank or income/cash combination options for future applications.

All offices will accept the income method. The only difference is what proof of income they will require/accept.

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You won’t lose the current extension. And you always have the cash in the bank or income/cash combination options for future applications.

All offices will accept the income method. The only difference is what proof of income they will require/accept.

Sorry I meant to say the income/cash option.  I seem to recall some posts about that not being accepted.  Am I wrong?

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

For the income option the exchange rate only matters on the date it was transferred in. If it came up short you could transfer more in during that month. It would be different though if you were transferring it into a foreign currency account (not sure immigration would accept it though).

All of them should accept the income option. I don't recall any confirmed report of it not being accepted.

Weren't there some posts about only the letter being accepted and not the income/cash method or did I remember wrong?

Edited by marcusarelus

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Sorry I meant to say the income/cash option.  I seem to recall some posts about that not being accepted.  Am I wrong?

No you’re right. But things should settle down over the next year. The offices still don’t seem to fully understand the new rules.

9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Weren't there some posts about only the letter being accepted and not the income cash method or did I remember wrong?

Only where the applicants embassy still issue income letters. In that case it was reported that the office wouldn’t accept proof of income other than an embassy letter.

Edited by elviajero

Why would you do things any different than you've done in the past 20 years or whatever it is? I haven't heard of one case where a 800,000 baht fixed deposit has presented any problems, so why muddy the waters?

Given the inconsistency around the country with Immigration, if it were me, I would use the fixed account with the solid 1m in it and the cleaner looking bank book.  Here's the bank letter, here's the matching bank book, lump of money seasoned properly.  You're done.  KISS. 

The other account/book would work but if you have a choice, which you do, then use the cleaner one and avoid giving bait to an I/O.

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Why would you do things any different than you've done in the past 20 years or whatever it is? I haven't heard of one case where a 800,000 baht fixed deposit has presented any problems, so why muddy the waters?

Because I've always had a FD but never used it at Imm I always used a regular saving account and was considering switching to the FD because it has less entries and easier to understand.   Or switching to a method that does not require a check back.

3 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Given the inconsistency around the country with Immigration, if it were me, I would use the fixed account with the solid 1m in it and the cleaner looking bank book.  Here's the bank letter, here's the matching bank book, lump of money seasoned properly.  You're done.  KISS. 

The other account/book would work but if you have a choice, which you do, then use the cleaner one and avoid giving bait to an I/O.

Surely you do it the other way around. Show the income first, and only if that’s not accepted pull out the account with 1M.

IMO opinion there is no advantage in needlessly tying up 800/400K.

1 minute ago, elviajero said:

Surely you do it the other way around. Show the income first, and only if that’s not accepted pull out the account with 1M.

IMO opinion there is no advantage in needlessly tying up 800/400K.

What kind of check back is done with the income method and the cash income method?