BANGKOK 26 May 2019 06:09
marcusarelus

Which bank book should I use? Retirement Extension

Posted (edited)

For Retirement Extension.  I have fixed deposit 1 mill and I have regular savings 1 mill showing transfer in of my pension and expenses both in and legal for 3 years.  Which one should I use.  I don't want to take both as they get confused easily. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

It might help if you tell us which office you will be using, some times there is a difference. Jomtiem, for example, are happy to accept either. Might also depend on whether each account has maintained the 2 (or is it 3?) month pre-seasoning. I once took both books to the bank when I was getting the letter and the bank seemed to prefer the savings account and issued the letter based on that. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It might help if you tell us which office you will be using, some times there is a difference. Jomtiem, for example, are happy to accept either. Might also depend on whether each account has maintained the 2 (or is it 3?) month pre-seasoning. I once took both books to the bank when I was getting the letter and the bank seemed to prefer the savings account and issued the letter based on that. 

Rayong and all accounts have been maintained up to balance for 20 years.

The bank of Bangkok lady said she would write for any of my accounts.

Edited by marcusarelus

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Rayong and all accounts have been maintained up to balance for 20 years.

I would just use the savings account unless you perceive maintaining that one at 800,000 for 3 months then 400,000 minimum etc as possible problem. 

21 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

just take the fixed account one,job done,less confusing

for the IO.don't forget to update on day you are doing extension.

regards Worgeordie

Can you update a fixed account in the 'hole in the wall'?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I would just use the savings account unless you perceive maintaining that one at 800,000 for 3 months then 400,000 minimum etc as possible problem. 

Why, as the fixed deposit they only have to look at 2 numbers.  Seems simpler as there are no deposits or withdrawals.

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

just take the fixed account one,job done,less confusing

for the IO.don't forget to update on day you are doing extension.

regards Worgeordie

Take both, but only offer the fixed account at first, just in case.

In English 'Belt & Braces'

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

Can you update a fixed account in the 'hole in the wall'?

Yes the fixed updates in the machine. 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

Take both, but only offer the fixed account at first, just in case.

Was thinking about that but don't want to get letters for both.  Seems with all the brain power and experience here we should be able to figure out something so simple. 

Edited by marcusarelus

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Why, as the fixed deposit they only have to look at 2 numbers.  Seems simpler as there are no deposits or withdrawals.

Perhaps you have the past experience that Rayong will accept the FD account, I can't be certain. I only suggested the savings account as it is more likely OK.  Some IOs like to see the money is being 'used' to live off Just make your mind up as the bank letter and account must be the same one of course. 

Edited by jacko45k

Both Thai bank accounts maintained for twenty years. You've obviously been here a long time ........... so this is not your first extension then. I'd use the bank account you used last time.

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

don't think too much.  first answer was right one.(fixed acct)   easiest .    get letter from bank,  update when get letter, go to immig.     Usually you have a few days but some here say their IO wants same day that you go to immig.             

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, rumak said:

don't think too much.  first answer was right one.(fixed acct)   easiest .    get letter from bank,  update when get letter, go to immig.     Usually you have a few days but some here say their IO wants same day that you go to immig.             

same day as you get the letter? man, that would be a major thing in Chiangmai.... banks open at 8 something... it would be midday before we even get a queue number, which means a full day spent in the ‘weahng’ of Chiangmai at the least.  Yuk!

that can’t be.

example, your bank is in Sanpatong or even further out. and why wouldn’t it be? anything closer to the city of Chiangmai would really suck as a place to live.

Edited by WeekendRaider

1 hour ago, WeekendRaider said:

same day as you get the letter? man, that would be a major thing in Chiangmai.... banks open at 8 something... it would be midday before we even get a queue number, which means a full day spent in the ‘weahng’ of Chiangmai at the least.  Yuk!

that can’t be.

example, your bank is in Sanpatong or even further out. and why wouldn’t it be? anything closer to the city of Chiangmai would really suck as a place to live.

from my experience it DID NOT have to be same day .  but i think we always have to acknowledge that there are times when the "unexpected" happens at immig.   I never had a problem and think I usually got the letter and update day before I went.  Also, things move faster lately at CM .  This too could change , but reports from others here seem to say all goes much quicker if all is in order.