Ever been stuck in a lift in Thailand?

Just had a phone call from my friend i hadnt heard of for 2 days , he got stuck in a lift in a Pattaya building, apparently a small office building that he was seeing a dentist.

He had his phone and managed to call a bar owner , 

there was apparently no emergency button or telephone in the lift.

He had to finally pay a bill to the emergency services for coming out

i will get more info soon from him but reminds me on how i once got stuck in a lift in a pattaya shopping centre where there was a emergency button, unfortunately the guy answering the call didnt speak english

Not in Thailand, but I was stuck in a lift in KL (KL Plaza, Bukit Bintang) about 20 years back. The lift was in a bank of 3/4 lifts that had a range of 8 floors (3 above/5 below ground) in a mall/residence complex where I was staying for a couple of years..

The most disconcerting part of the experience was having the staff working on the lift, at the basement level, with a crowbar to try and open the doors, when it would suddenly take off again. This with no lights and the lift starting to shake after 4/5 floors. Reason being that they either didn't or couldn't isolate my lift such that anyone pressing the lift button brought my lift into play. This happened 2/3 times. Not pleasant at all.

When they finally opened the doors I mentioned to the guys that I was getting rather concerned towards the end. One of them said 'so were we'!! Gulp!!

Also not Thailand, Bangalore in India.

Hotel lift decided to do an emergency descent after a power failure. When the juice returned (luckily after a minute or so) the door opened, on to a blank brick wall. Pressing the call button elicited zero response, I then called the hotel front desk (luckily there was phone signal) took 30 minutes to wind the lift up by hand to get me out.

I have had the lift stop at the condo I stay here in Thailand, then go down a half floor and open allowing me to exit. It has happened several times. I have not been stuck in an elevator. I always bring my cell phone, just in case it does stop and I can't exit.

I got stuck in the lift at a 5 star hotel in Bangkok a couple of years ago. Again no one answered the emergency button. I called the desk but could not figure out what my problem was. I finally managed to find the door release and got the door open to exit. told them at the front desk but no one really cares! Too bad I cant name the major hotel.

Seems to be a fairly common occurence then.I got stuck in a lift in Roi Et City Hotel.[now closed] Icalled the front desk on my mobile phone.The amountEnglish spoken wasn't a lot and my Thai rudimentary,so after a minute or two of being told the lift was out of order and me saying I knew and was stuck in it.The penny finally dropped and they got me out ????

Never happened to me in Thailand but did at a condo in Fall River ,MA USA. Pressed button and worker answered said he would work on doors. After almost 40 min in hot elavator i called the police and Fire Dept and told them me and 2 girls had been stuck on the elevator, cell was running out and please help us. heard sirens 5 min later and they arrived.  They pried doors above us open a little and handed me a pike. Toldme to look for a latch on left side of above doors. After I unlocked the latch I helped boost the girls up to fire fighters and then they pulled me out. Wasn't a pleasant experience 

i entered my condo's lift and used it normally.  When I exited, I found out the building had no power and the lift was using emergency generator power.  It would have been nice to have had a notice posted.  I also noticed that the lift's emergency phone is on the wall OUTSIDE of the lift

47 minutes ago, onekoolguy said:

I got stuck in the lift at a 5 star hotel in Bangkok a couple of years ago. Again no one answered the emergency button. I called the desk but could not figure out what my problem was. I finally managed to find the door release and got the door open to exit. told them at the front desk but no one really cares! Too bad I cant name the major hotel.

Why? Do you mean defamation? Saying that no one cared when you got stuck in a lift? Can't 

see why. Oh! wait, this is Thailand.

Yes, in apartment building. 

They were working on the lift,  not very obvious (at least not to me and my friend), no signs not to use the lift. They got us out immediately and complained that we were so stupid. 

Are we allowed to say names? I got stuck in an elevator, not a lift, in the Prince Hotel in CM. No alarm, no phone. I had no phone. Just started banging on the door. Was stuck between floors and, when help finally came, I had to crawl out. On top of that, i am claustrophobic.

Ever since, I am very wary of both lifts and elevators. ????

Never stuck per se but have had the doors trying to close as I'm struggling with 2 suitcases.

Apparently sticking anything in the lift door way while it is open does not necessarily mean there is a sensor to re-open the doors.

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2019 at 7:44 AM, elgenon said:

Are we allowed to say names? I got stuck in an elevator, not a lift, in the Prince Hotel in CM. No alarm, no phone. I had no phone. Just started banging on the door. Was stuck between floors and, when help finally came, I had to crawl out. On top of that, i am claustrophobic.

Ever since, I am very wary of both lifts and elevators. ????

Actually, lifts are things short people put in their shoes to fake being taller while elevators are what the Ottis company build to transport you from floor to floor. (don't flame me, read the plaque: Ottis Elevator Co.) ????

On 4/19/2019 at 4:36 PM, Tony125 said:

Never happened to me in Thailand but did at a condo in Fall River ,MA USA. Pressed button and worker answered said he would work on doors. After almost 40 min in hot elavator i called the police and Fire Dept and told them me and 2 girls had been stuck on the elevator, cell was running out and please help us. heard sirens 5 min later and they arrived.  They pried doors above us open a little and handed me a pike. Toldme to look for a latch on left side of above doors. After I unlocked the latch I helped boost the girls up to fire fighters and then they pulled me out. Wasn't a pleasant experience 

Must have been ugly girls. ????

Archived