Buying a Car inn Phuket - any good dealers?

Patong2

Normally we hire a car, but we are spending so much time in Phuket it makes sense to buy a used car even at the exhorbitant prices charged here.

Don't do much mileage but just need the car for shopping etc.

Just want an older Jazz or Vios in a light colour

Anyone have suggestions as to where to start looking?

There's a range of second hand dealerships called 'Sure' at various locations across the island (not to be confused with Toyota 'Sure' which is the used car business found in their main dealers).

'Sure' has a good reputation for both selling, and for buying in cars at good prices.

Personally, have only bought new cars here, but did sell one of mine to 'Sure' at a much better price offered than Toyota 'Sure' (and was buying a new Toyota).   Just Google'd and got this which might help:

http://www.suremotor.net/vehicles.html

To carry on in the used car vein, is there a repair shop that specializes in inspecting vehicles?  In Bangkok I took a few cars to "testcar" and they not only did a thorough visual inspection, but they also hook up the engine and run a dyno test, use some sort of laser to see if things are straight, and a number of other things.

I highly doubt any shop here has such a device, but if anyone knows of a shop that would take a day to give a used car a thorough inspection that would be helpful.

4 hours ago, pagallim said:

There's a range of second hand dealerships called 'Sure' at various locations across the island (not to be confused with Toyota 'Sure' which is the used car business found in their main dealers).

'Sure' has a good reputation for both selling, and for buying in cars at good prices.

Personally, have only bought new cars here, but did sell one of mine to 'Sure' at a much better price offered than Toyota 'Sure' (and was buying a new Toyota).   Just Google'd and got this which might help:

http://www.suremotor.net/vehicles.html

Thanks Pagallim

I'll have a look at them

It is a bit harder looking without a Thai with you to translate the prices etc.

3 minutes ago, Patong2 said:

Thanks Pagallim

I'll have a look at them

From recollection, they do have staff that speak English.    Apart from getting the car you want at the right price, equally important is the warranty, though the older the car you can expect (I'm guessing) anywhere between 1 to 3 months.   I do know a few people who've bought from Sure, and heard nothing but good about their service.

19 hours ago, steelepulse said:

To carry on in the used car vein, is there a repair shop that specializes in inspecting vehicles?  In Bangkok I took a few cars to "testcar" and they not only did a thorough visual inspection, but they also hook up the engine and run a dyno test, use some sort of laser to see if things are straight, and a number of other things.

I highly doubt any shop here has such a device, but if anyone knows of a shop that would take a day to give a used car a thorough inspection that would be helpful.

If your talking about the laser for sway bar / suspension alignment then they have it at this Cockpit branch, also got a dyno and wheel alignment equip.

https://goo.gl/maps/HVLXf8NdE8ZMT9sP6

cp1.jpg

9 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Thanks.  What was the cost on the laser and dyno tests?

Manit charge 400 baht. Free if buy 4 tyres.  Had our car done at their big place opposite main bus station.  2 pits. incredible technology. Awesome to watch. 

Edit - also have a number of free checks. Battery condition. Spare tyre pressure. Radiator water level. Oil and fluids level and the like. General all round look. I was impressed at their service. Going back soon. 

5 hours ago, steelepulse said:

Thanks.  What was the cost on the laser and dyno tests?

Don't remember sorry, but I would if it had been expensive. I was happy with the job they did. I got there at opening time 8am and was done in about 1 hour.

6 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Manit charge 400 baht. Free if buy 4 tyres.  Had our car done at their big place opposite main bus station.  2 pits. incredible technology. Awesome to watch. 

Edit - also have a number of free checks. Battery condition. Spare tyre pressure. Radiator water level. Oil and fluids level and the like. General all round look. I was impressed at their service. Going back soon. 

you dont do all this urself?  i do it all every month>
i brought a car from Sure back in 2016, very happy with the price i paid and the car

58 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

you dont do all this urself?  i do it all every month>
i brought a car from Sure back in 2016, very happy with the price i paid and the car

Yes, Sure I do check my car. Nice to get wives car checked ????

Just saying. It's a nice after service. Also nice waiting lounge. WiFi etc.

Bought my first car 1996 from Sure, 2nd 1999.

Bought my car at Sure as well, good place. BTW they have an English site as well i think. Otherwise check the page buycar24.co.th/en Sure advertises their cars on that site as well.

I got my insurance thru them as well and every year they call me when its time for renewal.

On 4/19/2019 at 2:31 PM, Patong2 said:

Thanks Pagallim

I'll have a look at them

I found that the prices at the Toyota Sure places were very high indeed, at least when I was looking.

Classifieds in the Phuket News have a few for sale and what about on ThaiVisa??

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

I found that the prices at the Toyota Sure places were very high indeed, at least when I was looking.

Quite a few vehicles on facebook marketplace if you have facebook.  They will show both private and dealer cars that have been posted for sale both by Thai people and foreigners selling their vehicles.  You can use the facebook translate on the Thai listing to get a reasonable idea of the vehicle.  one2car.com/en  also has a lot of listing, and you can sort by location, price, model, private sale or dealer, etc.

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

Need to clarify, there are the 'Sure' group of dealers, and Toyota Sure.   They are not the same.   Toyota Sure are indeed expensive and offer derisory prices when buying in vehicles.   I'll link again:

http://www.suremotor.net/

I would only recommend buying from a private seller if you actually know them, and hence history of the car.   Buying from someone who is on the next plane out of here doesn't give them a whole lot of incentive to honour any commitment to 'bring it back if there's a problem".

Archived