Transferring Entry stamps to new passport...

From the USA Embassy Bangkok's website on passport renewal (transfer Thai visa and entry/Exit stamps dropdown)

...Thai immigration law requires entry/exit stamps and Thai visas be transferred into new passports. After receiving your new passport, please visit any Thai immigration office to have the visa transferred. The letter to facilitate visa transfers comes standard with all passport renewals and is provided without fee.

Please bring with you:

• Canceled passport, new passport and your visa-transfer letter

The Thai Immigration offices nearest Embassy Bangkok and Consulate General Chiang Mai are:

So my questions are:

- Can any local Thai immigration office do this?

- Is there any fees associated with this?

- How long does it take?

- What else do I need to bring with me (besides old/new passport, visa transfer letter)?

Any immigration office can do the stamp transfer. 

You only have to do  it at a immigration office if you are on an extension of stay. There is no official fee for the stamp transfer but some offices have been reported as wanting as much as 500 baht to do it.

If you are on a visa entry it can be done on departure from the country by showing both passports.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

Thai immigration law requires entry/exit stamps and Thai visas be transferred into new passports.

It doesn’t.

Immigration usually only want long term extension permits transferred. And at the same time they will note the original entry visa info in the new passport as it’s required for future extensions.

• Like 1

don't forget a official Letter from your embassy that says you changed your passport.. 

Last December I got told that this letter was mandatory.

Lucky the IO did it for me because he knows me since many years, but he warned me next time I need to show the letter. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, See Will said:

don't forget a official Letter from your embassy that says you changed your passport.. 

Last December I got told that this letter was mandatory.

Lucky the IO did it for me because he knows me since many years, but he warned me next time I need to show the letter. 

9 minutes ago, Took said:

I got my new passport about a few years ago, and

I did need a certificate from the embassy to transfer

my Non-B stamp.

The Embassy said they will include the letter to transfer stamps/visa in both English and Thai.

49 minutes ago, elviajero said:

It doesn’t.

Immigration usually only want long term extension permits transferred. And at the same time they will note the original entry visa info in the new passport as it’s required for future extensions.

You may contact the US Embassy and ask them to update the page.   But as far as I know, it is accurate. 

It is a question of whether you are transferring an entry stamp or an extension of stay that determines whether you can do it at the border when exiting or must go to a local immigration office.

Edited by 4evermaat

16 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

You may contact the US Embassy and ask them to update the page.   But as far as I know, it is accurate. 

It is a question of whether you are transferring an entry stamp or an extension of stay that determines whether you can do it at the border when exiting or must go to a local immigration office.

You are right that at some point the entry stamp is transferred.

My issues with the US embassy quote are that it is not law, and you do not — depending on the permit to stay — have to visit an immigration office, and extension permits cannot be transferred at “any” office. Other than that their advice is spot on!

• Confused 1

On 4/19/2019 at 2:00 PM, elviajero said:

You are right that at some point the entry stamp is transferred.

My issues with the US embassy quote are that it is not law, and you do not — depending on the permit to stay — have to visit an immigration office, and extension permits cannot be transferred at “any” office. Other than that their advice is spot on!

If you are from the UK as your avatar suggests why would you care what the USA embassy says ??

6 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

If you are from the UK as your avatar suggests why would you care what the USA embassy says ??

I don’t — until someone posts wrong information given by the US embassy on the forum!

• 2 years later...