Songkran crackdown nets police 240 PVC water guns and 22 loud MCs

Rimmer

Songkran crackdown nets police 240 PVC water guns and 22 loud MCs

image.png

PATTAYA:--An April 14 police crackdown netted police 240 PVC high-powered water guns and 22 motorcycles modified with loud exhausts.

Pol. Lt. Col. Saranpong Maithongkulthorn, Pattaya Police Station Inspector and his intrepid team of highly trained bobbies, confiscated the PVC guns with a directive from higher ups that the high-powered water ejectors could cause harm to revelers. It could also lead to accidents if shot at motorcyclists.

They also impounded the motorcycles and announced the “situation was normal.”

There was no mention of fines or arrests, or any penance the perpetrators might have suffered due to their inappropriate behavior.

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-04-19--

19 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

They also impounded the motorcycles and announced the “situation was normal.”

Although I am all for removing these now numerous scooters that have no effective exhaust and are extremely loud and annoying - how are they testing them for noise compliance, I know of people who have been wrongly fined, when asked how did they measure the sound level ?, answer - they didn't 

I thin I'd be embarrassed to pose for a photoshoot for something like this. But don't think a Thai cop ever turns down the chance to be in the press. Always amuses me when cops involved in undercover operations also join in the photoshoot.

Saw a young tourist get punched in the mouth in 2016 for deliberately squirting a high powered water pistol in the eyes of a 70 year old Thai lady and her fairly burly son as they were riding past on a motorbike with all their groceries on board. I had literally only told him a couple of minutes earlier that shooting in people's faces as they were driving was a terrible idea. 

It was like watching karma in action, right in front of me. 

That said, I would say equally as dangerous is the practice of Thais throwing buckets of water at people on motos on the roads that have a 90ish kmh speed limit. Not gonna make them go blind, but it sure as hell could make them fall off.

16 hours ago, smedly said:

Although I am all for removing these now numerous scooters that have no effective exhaust and are extremely loud and annoying - how are they testing them for noise compliance, I know of people who have been wrongly fined, when asked how did they measure the sound level ?, answer - they didn't 

There are numerous free apps available that are very good

33 minutes ago, Curmudgeon1 said:

There are numerous free apps available that are very good

they are a vague guide and are not calibrated for each device, as for police - they need a calibrated measuring device in order to properly enforce the law

6 hours ago, SammyT said:

Saw a young tourist get punched in the mouth in 2016 for deliberately squirting a high powered water pistol in the eyes of a 70 year old Thai lady and her fairly burly son as they were riding past on a motorbike with all their groceries on board. I had literally only told him a couple of minutes earlier that shooting in people's faces as they were driving was a terrible idea. 

It was like watching karma in action, right in front of me. 

That said, I would say equally as dangerous is the practice of Thais throwing buckets of water at people on motos on the roads that have a 90ish kmh speed limit. Not gonna make them go blind, but it sure as hell could make them fall off.

Don't you ever wonder why when statistics are given out for road casualties at Songcran they never report any casualties caused by throwing water or shooting water from high powered water guns at passing traffic?

19 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Don't you ever wonder why when statistics are given out for road casualties at Songcran they never report any casualties caused by throwing water or shooting water from high powered water guns at passing traffic?

They do.

The casualties are either drunk or speeders, therefore come under those stats. 

You can hardly have a stat for having water squirted at your vehicle. 

1 hour ago, Pattaya28 said:

They do.

The casualties are either drunk or speeders, therefore come under those stats. 

You can hardly have a stat for having water squirted at your vehicle. 

"The casualties are either drunk or speeders," Really! So if someone is not drunk, and is not speeding and some moron knocks him/her of their bike and injures or kills them, that does not count?? :crazy:

On 4/19/2019 at 10:34 AM, madmitch said:

I thin I'd be embarrassed to pose for a photoshoot for something like this. But don't think a Thai cop ever turns down the chance to be in the press. Always amuses me when cops involved in undercover operations also join in the photoshoot.

its so that when they go undercover people will recognise them!!!!!!!

On 4/19/2019 at 5:33 PM, possum1931 said:

possibly because IT IS ONLY WATER !!! .....I see where your coming from.....all water guns should be banned......

On 4/19/2019 at 10:33 AM, smedly said:

Not rocket science. Punk flies past no helmet no licence, no tail lights and a SCREAMING exhaust.

Why are you hangin with those punks anyway?

and what about ALL the very very very LOUD MUSIC??

On beach road Jomtien it started at about 8 in the morning and finally finished at 10,15 night time.

All day everyone had to suffer the crap coming out of speakers, there are signs stating "NO BLARING FINE 2000 baht" dont think anyone was FINED !!

Archived