Songkran comes to a close for another year

Rimmer

Songkran comes to a close for another year

image.png

PATTAYA:--After 9 days of water throwing fun for many, madness for others, the annual festivities come to a close today and tomorrow.

Today, April 19, is the final day of Pattaya’s Songkran celebrations. It begins with official ceremonies at Chaimongkol Temple. Alms offerings is set for 7:30 a.m. with the elderly blessing ceremony at 8:30 a.m. and a cultural show kicking off at 9 a.m. featuring dancing and traditional games.

Pattaya’s Songkran parade sets off at noon along Second Road, Central Road and back along Beach Road to Bali Hai Pier before returning to the temple.

Of course, the entire route will be inundated with water as Songkran draws to a close. Pattaya officials reminded revelers that powder and chalk is not permitted, nor are high-power water guns. Water-throwing should stop at 6 p.m.

Tomorrow, April 20, the Rice Festival in Naklua, with no water throwing, officially brings the mid-April events to a close.

Read more: https://www.pattayamail.com/news/songkran-comes-to-a-close-for-another-year-252631

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-04-19--

After working / living in Thailand for 15 years I am tired of reading about their water shortages when they still have water festivals in the cities 3+ days more...Does this water shortage go away during the So Songkron holidays? Limiting the splashing & wasting of water to one day. Maybe this would also eliminate some traffic deaths & accidents in the cities. (I know, this is thinking too logical.)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Just now, maccastime said:

Comes to a close today and tomorrow?? Which one? So that makes it what 10 days? Absolutely ridiculous should be 2 days no more

19th is the final and peak day in Pattaya.

But sure there may be some clueless tourist morons still attacking people over the weekend.

I've never seen that happen before after the peak day in Pattaya though. 

It should be limited to a few days but not an entire week, ice should be banned together with high powered waterguns and all waterthrowing to stop at 6pm. 
That is how it was during the first years I travelled to Pattaya. 

1 hour ago, connda said:

Good riddance Songkran, don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.

You're in the north right? Is it as crazy up there? Other posters tell us that up there it only lasts briefly.

Thank God. Good riddance

There's a common stream of retorts to anyone who is slightly critical of Songkran. Usually along the lines of "Don't like it leave". "Not your country mate". "Don't be miserable"

It's not my country, and I am a grateful guest here. I get that loud and clear. That doesn't mean I'm not allowed to criticize certain things as an outsider looking in. My opinions are shared by many of my Thai friends.

In moderation, and certain areas, Songkran is great fun. I like that Thailand preserves cultural aspects. I've also joined in the water fights multiple years.

I'd even go as far to say I absolutely love the old-fashioned style Songkran. It's really good-spirited in certain areas, particularly in smaller villages.

But I object to:

• An incredibly excessive amount of days for throwing dirty ice cold water. Ten days? How can people not agree that's a tad excessive? Could it be five? three? maybe even one or two?
  • Not being allowed to peacefully opt out. I've never thrown water at people who just want to peacefully go about their business, and aren't encroaching on your fun. It annoys me that so many can't allow others to just quietly not participate.
  • The lack of time limit. Even when I've joined in the water fight during the day, by 9pm I just want to go and eat at a restaurant. The number of times i've had to stop a farang throwing water at me at this kinda time is irritating
  • The frequency of jerk-like spraying. High powered water guns to the face is becoming very common. Not very good-spirited is it?
  • The passive aggression. A lot people use this holiday as an excuse to assault people and face no consequences. It's irritating to have some 65kg man get you inappropriately with water, and hide behind the pathetic "It's Songkran!!"

Some nice aspects to this festival. But overall, tomorrow is the best day of the year for me

It should be limited to a few days but not an entire week, ice should be banned together with high powered waterguns and all waterthrowing to stop at 6pm. 
That is how it was during the first years I travelled to Pattaya. 
My fantasy is that it would be legal to open carry during Songkran and if someone water attacked you without your consent then use your imagination. Wink wink nod nod.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thank God. Good riddance

There's a common stream of retorts to anyone who is slightly critical of Songkran. Usually along the lines of "Don't like it leave". "Not your country mate". "Don't be miserable"

It's not my country, and I am a grateful guest here. I get that loud and clear. That doesn't mean I'm not allowed to criticize certain things as an outsider looking in. My opinions are shared by many of my Thai friends.

In moderation, and certain areas, Songkran is great fun. I like that Thailand preserves cultural aspects. I've also joined in the water fights multiple years.

I'd even go as far to say I absolutely love the old-fashioned style Songkran. It's really good-spirited in certain areas, particularly in smaller villages.

But I object to:

• An incredibly excessive amount of days for throwing dirty ice cold water. Ten days? How can people not agree that's a tad excessive? Could it be five? three? maybe even one or two?
  • Not being allowed to peacefully opt out. I've never thrown water at people who just want to peacefully go about their business, and aren't encroaching on your fun. It annoys me that so many can't allow others to just quietly not participate.
  • The lack of time limit. Even when I've joined in the water fight during the day, by 9pm I just want to go and eat at a restaurant. The number of times i've had to stop a farang throwing water at me at this kinda time is irritating
  • The frequency of jerk-like spraying. High powered water guns to the face is becoming very common. Not very good-spirited is it?
  • The passive aggression. A lot people use this holiday as an excuse to assault people and face no consequences. It's irritating to have some 65kg man get you inappropriately with water, and hide behind the pathetic "It's Songkran!!"
Some nice aspects to this festival. But overall, tomorrow is the best day of the year for me
It's like Mardi Gras for psychopathic sadists. And chavs.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Jingthing is my kind of guy. Always talks sense in his posts

When is it actually 100% over in Pattaya? I get that today's meant to be the last day, but are some idiots going to push it through to Saturday? When was the last time that the 20th was a weekend day? It's not been like that for a while right?

Just wanna go to Jomtien and chill. Friend messaged me earlier saying he tried to peacefully go for food and got caked in white powder, water and had ice thrown at him lol

Someone should tell the music makers in the Nalkua/Wongamat area. 19:00/7 pm and the base thumping music is still going. I suppose they will quiet down later on after they have passed out. Amazing Thailand.

8 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

It is where I live... No-one bothers till about lunch time and then they have had enough by 5-6pm.. Done and dusted in 6hrs ????????

Same here in Prachuap starts midday  5pm its all over red rover  as i think it is in most places south of Bangkok

What everyone has to understand is that it is the beer bars that start the madness as early in April as they can. Its their way of making some big money over the Songkran period. So they put out the barrels of water and invite the farangs in for a beer to get wet and pissed with a scantily clad girl in shorts and T shirt. It will never change, if you dont like it get out of Pattaya for 10 days like I normally do, The Philippines.

got attacked 6.30 am & 7.30 pm, (means dark hours for those not living here)

is there any time i can stock up food without getting attacked ?

This is it right here

This guy just wants to peacefully get food and return home

But some idiot has to stop him doing that, despite him not infringing on their fun

I retreated to my GF's village near Chiang Rai. Much more civilized than Chiang Mai. I could go out on the scooter at 8 am for shopping unmolested. From the safety of a car later, I saw quite a few scooter riders  signal the water throwers they did not want water thrown at them, and their request was observed. Possibly because they all know each other, and what goes around comes around.

Archived