Songkran comes to a close for another year

Rimmer

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It should be only ONE day.

6 hours ago, Bastos60 said:

It should be limited to a few days but not an entire week, ice should be banned together with high powered waterguns and all waterthrowing to stop at 6pm. 
That is how it was during the first years I travelled to Pattaya. 

The 500,000 Thais in Pattaya celebrating THEIR new year will disagree with you.

It was, as usual a great day, didn’t see any violence, just hundreds of thousands of people having a lot of fun only as Thais can do.

i have been to festivals over the world and this one would have to be the best.

5 hours ago, Ulic said:

I have been holed up in my condo for the last 8 days waiting for it to finally come to an end. I will venture out tonight after 9 pm. :thumbsup:

Not a hope mate. It is still going strong. The party will go to midnight tonight.

3 hours ago, ThailandPermanent said:

Thank God. Good riddance

There's a common stream of retorts to anyone who is slightly critical of Songkran. Usually along the lines of "Don't like it leave". "Not your country mate". "Don't be miserable"

Yes.

It's not my country, and I am a grateful guest here. I get that loud and clear. That doesn't mean I'm not allowed to criticize certain things as an outsider looking in. My opinions are shared by many of my Thai friends.

In moderation, and certain areas, Songkran is great fun. I like that Thailand preserves cultural aspects. I've also joined in the water fights multiple years.

I'd even go as far to say I absolutely love the old-fashioned style Songkran. It's really good-spirited in certain areas, particularly in smaller villages.

But I object to:

• An incredibly excessive amount of days for throwing dirty ice cold water. Ten days? How can people not agree that's a tad excessive? Could it be five? three? maybe even one or two?

Up to the Thais.

• Not being allowed to peacefully opt out. I've never thrown water at people who just want to peacefully go about their business, and aren't encroaching on your fun. It annoys me that so many can't allow others to just quietly not participate.

Like going to a rock concert and asking for the music to be turned down. 

You are right, if you look like you dont want to participate this will make you a bigger target.

Non Participation really isn’t an option. It is very inclusive.

• The lack of time limit. Even when I've joined in the water fight during the day, by 9pm I just want to go and eat at a restaurant. The number of times i've had to stop a farang throwing water at me at this kinda time is irritating

Not just farangs. Thais are doing it right now.

• The frequency of jerk-like spraying. High powered water guns to the face is becoming very common. Not very good-spirited is it?

True, but i dont let it bother me. 

• The passive aggression. A lot people use this holiday as an excuse to assault people and face no consequences. It's irritating to have some 65kg man get you inappropriately with water, and hide behind the pathetic "It's Songkran!!"

I was assaulted probably over 50 times today. Girls and one ladyboy putting me in the squirrel grip. I would have preferred the ladyboy didn’t but I just took it in my stride.

Some nice aspects to this festival. But overall, tomorrow is the best day of the year for me

I wouldn’t be so confident. Tomorrow is the weekend and many Thais will kick on. I would think there will be water play tomorrow in Pattaya. 

Songkran hasn’t finished, countrywide, there are still a few places that haven’t had their wan lai day yet. 

1 hour ago, RobMuir said:

Like going to a rock concert and asking for the music to be turned down. 

You are right, if you look like you dont want to participate this will make you a bigger target.

Non Participation really isn’t an option. It is very inclusive.

This isn't a very accurate analogy though, is it?

If anything, it's like walking past a rock concert and being dragged into it and forced to listen

I have no problem with people enjoying the rock concert. I may even join in. But I'd like to opt out when I'm ready to

I'd like to hear your arguments for why a person going food shopping at 06:30am has to be soaked with water? 

Let's not be overly apologist, and let's call out jerk-like behaviour. How does not soaking someone in that instance infringe on the Thais enjoying their new year?

Your post sounds overly apologist to be honest. "it's their country" holds true for a lot of cases, but people seem to use this defense for jerky things like: dual pricing, taxi scams, people throwing dirty water at you at the crack of dawn when you just want breakfast etc.

Also, there are millions of Thais who get sick of the water throwing, and would like to just go about their day, without preventing the other guys from enjoying it. Why is this not a reasonable compromise?

If it was just on beach road for the ten days (and nowhere else) I think the number of Songkran complaints would at least halve. All the ones who enjoy it, can enjoy it. All the ones who'd like to opt out, can opt out

1 minute ago, ThailandPermanent said:

This isn't a very accurate analogy though, is it?

If anything, it's like walking past a rock concert and being dragged into it and forced to listen

I have no problem with people enjoying the rock concert. I may even join in. But I'd like to opt out when I'm ready to

I'd like to hear your arguments for why a person going food shopping at 06:30am has to be soaked with water? 

Let's not be overly apologist. That just comes across as jerk-like behaviour, doesn't it?

How does not soaking someone in that instance infringe on the Thais enjoying their new year?

Your post sounds overly finger-waggy and apologist to be honest. It's the soft bigotry of low expectations. "it's their country" holds true for a lot of cases, but the boundaries really do get pushed in Songkran

Also, there are millions of Thais who get sick of the water throwing, and would like to just go about their day, without preventing the other guys from enjoying it. Why is this not a reasonable compromise?

Mate, what do want me to do about it? It ain’t my country. Gotta go with the flow.

I reckon there were 500,000 + people, 95% Thais having a ball today in Pattaya. Good luck trying to talk them out of having fun so you can go shopping. 

The Thais is are so fun and nice and easygoing. If you tried something like this in Oz or England it would end up in a bloodbath because farangs get upset over little things too easily. Thenthais are very tolerant.

Apart from Pattaya it doesn’t go longer than three days (that I know of) and Pattaya is a party city so it really is the best place to have the extended songkran. City Hall gets behind it.

The local Thais rich and poor cash in. eg i saw a lovely old lady selling soft drinks for twenty baht in plastic cups. Simple as buying a big bottle from 7/11 and a pack of plastic cups. High profit margin.

You can complain all you want, but it won’t change a thing. It reminds me of Muslims complaining about Xmas in Christian dominated countries.

5 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Mate, what do want me to do about it? It ain’t my country. Gotta go with the flow.

I reckon there were 500,000 + people, 95% Thais having a ball today in Pattaya. Good luck trying to talk them out of having fun so you can go shopping. 

The Thais is are so fun and nice and easygoing. If you tried something like this in Oz or England it would end up in a bloodbath because farangs get upset over little things too easily. Thenthais are very tolerant.

Apart from Pattaya it doesn’t go longer than three days (that I know of) and Pattaya is a party city so it really is the best place to have the extended songkran. City Hall gets behind it.

The local Thais rich and poor cash in. eg i saw a lovely old lady selling soft drinks for twenty baht in plastic cups. Simple as buying a big bottle from 7/11 and a pack of plastic cups. High profit margin.

You can complain all you want, but it won’t change a thing. It reminds me of Muslims complaining about Xmas in Christian dominated countries.

To be fair, that's an absolutely solid reply

wishing all those  Farang  Songkran  Hooligans  now 7 days tooth pain..... just for my annual fun ….:biggrin: glad it is over for 365 days …. :thumbsup:  

Not blaming the Thais ...just those ones 

You're kidding! Here in the Ban Amphur area where I live it's their big day today, all the way along to Sattahip I believe. Pattaya and surrounding areas Songkran begins on about the 11th and continues to, and including, the 20th. Ten days of fun ???? Normally I don't venture outside my garden gate, but yesterday the aircon unit in the car packed up and my missus dragged me out to get it fixed. Three hours, 7,500 baht and a drenching later, it was repaired. Even if they offer me a million baht, apart from watering my garden, I am not setting foot outside my house today.

Today is my favourite day of the year to enjoy a beer on Pattaya Beach road. As the populace nurse their hangovers and hopefully music thumping headaches, I can sit with a lovely cold beer in peaceful subdued surroundings looking out at the water and reflect on why I enjoy living in Pattaya for 51 weeks of the year. You can't beat it.

7 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Today is my favourite day of the year to enjoy a beer on Pattaya Beach road. As the populace nurse their hangovers and hopefully music thumping headaches, I can sit with a lovely cold beer in peaceful subdued surroundings looking out at the water and reflect on why I enjoy living in Pattaya for 51 weeks of the year. You can't beat it.

As I need, after 6 days of staying at home, to get some groceries etc, I hope you are right...But it is the weekend.... 

On 4/19/2019 at 4:11 AM, Jingthing said:

It should be only ONE day.

I am sure the NWPA (National Water Pistol Association) who are funded by the Water Pistol and Super Soaker manufacturers would disagree and have been bribing politicians to get next years extended to a whole month.   ????  

On 4/20/2019 at 1:39 AM, balo said:

This must be fake news, it's well past midnight and the music outside my condo is loud and crazy. 

thats the problem no respect for people who do NOT like this time of yr.....and I am one of them.

Had to suffer loud noise all day long on Friday....and I was 600 yards away from the noise.

On 4/19/2019 at 6:03 PM, RotBenz8888 said:

Every third year.

Every seventh year would be ample.

Songkran is totally out of control in the towns and provinces.

Went outside once to go to 7/11.

Potential danger everywhere I looked. Went straight back to my pad ,and this is west Bangkok with enforced restrictions.

Crazy and dangerous.

1 minute ago, Lucius verus said:

Every seventh year would be ample.

Songkran is totally out of control in the towns and provinces.

Went outside once to go to 7/11.

Potential danger everywhere I looked. Went straight back home and this is west Bangkok with enforced restrictions.

Crazy and dangerous.

Cold water on a hot day is fine.

The go go and promo girls are fine

Problems are the lao/thai., myanmar and cambodian - males/mud people  

On 4/19/2019 at 4:46 PM, ThailandPermanent said:

Thank God. Good riddance

There's a common stream of retorts to anyone who is slightly critical of Songkran. Usually along the lines of "Don't like it leave". "Not your country mate". "Don't be miserable"

It's not my country, and I am a grateful guest here. I get that loud and clear. That doesn't mean I'm not allowed to criticize certain things as an outsider looking in. My opinions are shared by many of my Thai friends.

In moderation, and certain areas, Songkran is great fun. I like that Thailand preserves cultural aspects. I've also joined in the water fights multiple years.

I'd even go as far to say I absolutely love the old-fashioned style Songkran. It's really good-spirited in certain areas, particularly in smaller villages.

But I object to:

• An incredibly excessive amount of days for throwing dirty ice cold water. Ten days? How can people not agree that's a tad excessive? Could it be five? three? maybe even one or two?
  • Not being allowed to peacefully opt out. I've never thrown water at people who just want to peacefully go about their business, and aren't encroaching on your fun. It annoys me that so many can't allow others to just quietly not participate.
  • The lack of time limit. Even when I've joined in the water fight during the day, by 9pm I just want to go and eat at a restaurant. The number of times i've had to stop a farang throwing water at me at this kinda time is irritating
  • The frequency of jerk-like spraying. High powered water guns to the face is becoming very common. Not very good-spirited is it?
  • The passive aggression. A lot people use this holiday as an excuse to assault people and face no consequences. It's irritating to have some 65kg man get you inappropriately with water, and hide behind the pathetic "It's Songkran!!"

Some nice aspects to this festival. But overall, tomorrow is the best day of the year for me

you forgot the fact that the Police DO NOT ENFORCE the Laws during the "water week"

Archived