BANGKOK 22 May 2019 23:55
Rimmer

Songkran comes to a close for another year

On 4/19/2019 at 10:11 AM, Jingthing said:

It should be only ONE day.

and that would be too long.....

On 4/20/2019 at 1:39 AM, balo said:

This must be fake news, it's well past midnight and the music outside my condo is loud and crazy. 

thats the problem no respect for people who do NOT like this time of yr.....and I am one of them.

Had to suffer loud noise all day long on Friday....and I was 600 yards away from the noise.

Posted (edited)
On 4/19/2019 at 6:03 PM, RotBenz8888 said:

Every third year.

Every seventh year would be ample.

Songkran is totally out of control in the towns and provinces.

Went outside once to go to 7/11.

Potential danger everywhere I looked. Went straight back to my pad ,and this is west Bangkok with enforced restrictions.

Crazy and dangerous.

Edited by Lucius verus

1 minute ago, Lucius verus said:

Every seventh year would be ample.

Songkran is totally out of control in the towns and provinces.

Went outside once to go to 7/11.

Potential danger everywhere I looked. Went straight back home and this is west Bangkok with enforced restrictions.

Crazy and dangerous.

Cold water on a hot day is fine.

The go go and promo girls are fine

Problems are the lao/thai., myanmar and cambodian - males/mud people  

On 4/19/2019 at 3:54 PM, Traubert said:

You're in the north right? Is it as crazy up there? Other posters tell us that up there it only lasts briefly.

when I was in Chiang Mai some yrs ago it lasted 3 days..... but it was 42 degrees temp wise....

On 4/19/2019 at 6:03 PM, RotBenz8888 said:

Every third year.

why every third year.??? why not say should never ever take place??

On 4/19/2019 at 4:46 PM, ThailandPermanent said:

Thank God. Good riddance

There's a common stream of retorts to anyone who is slightly critical of Songkran. Usually along the lines of "Don't like it leave". "Not your country mate". "Don't be miserable"

It's not my country, and I am a grateful guest here. I get that loud and clear. That doesn't mean I'm not allowed to criticize certain things as an outsider looking in. My opinions are shared by many of my Thai friends.

In moderation, and certain areas, Songkran is great fun. I like that Thailand preserves cultural aspects. I've also joined in the water fights multiple years.

I'd even go as far to say I absolutely love the old-fashioned style Songkran. It's really good-spirited in certain areas, particularly in smaller villages.

But I object to:

• An incredibly excessive amount of days for throwing dirty ice cold water. Ten days? How can people not agree that's a tad excessive? Could it be five? three? maybe even one or two?
  • Not being allowed to peacefully opt out. I've never thrown water at people who just want to peacefully go about their business, and aren't encroaching on your fun. It annoys me that so many can't allow others to just quietly not participate.
  • The lack of time limit. Even when I've joined in the water fight during the day, by 9pm I just want to go and eat at a restaurant. The number of times i've had to stop a farang throwing water at me at this kinda time is irritating
  • The frequency of jerk-like spraying. High powered water guns to the face is becoming very common. Not very good-spirited is it?
  • The passive aggression. A lot people use this holiday as an excuse to assault people and face no consequences. It's irritating to have some 65kg man get you inappropriately with water, and hide behind the pathetic "It's Songkran!!"

Some nice aspects to this festival. But overall, tomorrow is the best day of the year for me

you forgot the fact that the Police DO NOT ENFORCE the Laws during the "water week"