Children invited to learn water rescue skills

Rimmer

Children invited to learn water rescue skills

image.png

PATTAYA:--Children 8-15 years old are being invited to learn basic swimming and water-rescue skills Friday, April 26, 2019 from 8.30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at a free day-long class organized by Bangkok Hospital Pattaya at the Redemptorist Vocational School’s swimming pool.

The safe swimming class will teach children learn how to correctly save the life of a drowning person. Class size is limited to 50 kids, and applications are open from April 17-24. The day includes free refreshments, lunch, and souvenirs.

Drowning is the number one cause of death of Thai children under the age of 15. Downing deaths are two times higher than deaths from traffic accidents and 24 times higher than death from dengue fever (according to information from Bureau of Non Communicable Diseases, Disease Control Department, Ministry of Public Health).

The 90 dangerous days during summer break from March to May is a particularly high risk period as children like to play in the water due to the heat, and they always play in the groups. When a child is struggling in the water, other children will try to help, but since they don’t know how, often they drown too.

Read more: https://www.pattayamail.com/featured/children-invited-to-learn-water-rescue-skills-252715

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-04-19--

3 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Drowning is the number one cause of death of Thai children under the age of 15.

I heard 2 per DAY!  Credit Bangkok/Pattaya hospital's ONE day course.  The cost for this free advertising is negligible - equivalent to half a day's overcharging on medicines.

All children should learn to swim from the earliest possible age, waterproofing the children is essential.

Basic rescue and resus skills from earliest age is great lifelong skill.

Good community effort

4 hours ago, Rimmer said:

The safe swimming class will teach children learn how to correctly save the life of a drowning person.

Helps to know how to swim.  And I took life-saving classes as a kid.  It took wayyyy longer than 1 day.  

18 hours ago, connda said:

Helps to know how to swim.  And I took life-saving classes as a kid.  It took wayyyy longer than 1 day.  

Totally agree .  1 days tuition is only an insight to learn to swim and the ages quoted 8 - 15 years old are a bit on the older side of the scale and the " fear instinct " is more prominent . Ideal age is as young as possible , when the " scared of water " is much less , say 4 years old . I was told this by a UK swimming instructor .  Swimming instruction should be part of the national curriculum / every day schooling . However in my town there are no public pools only one hotel pool that charges . Seems that the authorities have higher priorities .

Praise to the Bangkok Hospital for being proactive and showing the government what they should be doing .

Archived