7-11 Thai only ?

ginjag

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How many foreigners do you think would apply for such a card in Thailand? And how many Thais?

I guess the foreigners are best case 1% of the people who apply, probably a lot less.

Now if you would be the responsible manager would you spend lots of resources for the 1%?

Translation to English, English forms with "English" names, maybe passport numbers which don't fit the Thai ID number system, and and and.

It would be a lot of work for them to do this. Why should they do it?

Anybody can buy in 7/11 without a member card. And I will continue to go there because it's convenient - that the whole idea.

Don't forget that before they should do it in English they should do it in Chinese,  for the 2%, and Burmese, for the 3%....

The last time I counted Bangkok Banks ATM had 8 languages, Thai, Chinese, English, Burmese, Lao, Cambodian, Japanese, and I think it was Arabic, not sure about the last one. BBL seems to think it's worth the effort. 

CP thinks it's not worth the effort. So what. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Yep, let's go tit for tat and every American / Brit tourist would need a stack of documents two inches thick to apply for a tourist visa.  Bank statements, letters from employers, letters from sponsors, pictures of where they will stay, invitation letters, a very invasive application form that wants to know how much you spend each month, how much you send to your family, who your parents are and what they do, details of everything you own.  Maybe they need to have an interview too.  And then they get rejected because the Thai immigration bureau don't consider them as having a strong enough reason to return after their two week holiday.  And they don't get their hefty application fee back either.

They would never do that because loss of money. Ridiculous. Besides I have taken 2 people to the USA before and would have no problem qualifying with the IO here or embassy abroad if indeed they did do that.

13 minutes ago, MikeN said:

What about when you realize you have run out of shampoo, laundry detergent, toothpaste or whatever ... do you refuse to buy them at the 7/11 just on principle?

Yes!

You either have principles or you haven't.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

They would never do that because loss of money. Ridiculous. Besides I have taken 2 people to the USA before and would have no problem qualifying with the IO here or embassy abroad if indeed they did do that.

You missed my point.  I didn't suggest that they would do that, not in a million years.  Just pointing out that if you want tit for tat it would have to apply across the board and not just for the bits that you like. / feel hard done to by.

20 hours ago, ginjag said:

Because of the reaction it was hardly worth mentioning,  would have thought it may have created some interest and even surprising some posters.     But look at the replies on the topic.

Maybe most people just pay up on the two tier discrimination and it not bother them.....Me thinking 7-11 is international and have every customer at heart.  Oh well,  I have just found out that all Thais have little money, and foreigners are all millionaires.

When I go to 7-11 all I want to do is get in and get out, trying to save a few bhat on a 30b purchase isn't my idea way to spend my time. I just cannot be bothered by it. In Thailand 7-11 is owned by the CP company guess they can have what ever rules they like.

4 hours ago, Happystance said:

???????????? Your first mistake!

Guess you've not looked close:

Organic yogurt, sunflower seeds, cashews, almonds, fresh bananas, seaweed chips, dehydrated fruits no sugar added, organic soy milk, flouride-free water.

I stocked up for a flight and was surprised at how much decent stuff I could find. You ever noticed how there often is a fresh fruit stand near a 7/11? Goes great with the bio yogurt.

It's the same thing as shopping at a grocery store: all processed foods are less healthy. 

You choose your fate.

They do sell bio yogurt- in plain, coconut, and strawberry. Lactose-free.

Yes, yes, yes....

But you overlooked the biggest shelves: Lay, Lay, Lay...

Second biggest: sugary liquids

Instant noodles, canned meat, energy drinks, plastic-wrapped bakeries..

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned that they do sell wholesome beer.

13 minutes ago, uhuh said:

Don't forget that before they should do it in English they should do it in Chinese,  for the 2%, and Burmese, for the 3%....

The last time I counted Bangkok Banks ATM had 8 languages, Thai, Chinese, English, Burmese, Lao, Cambodian, Japanese, and I think it was Arabic, not sure about the last one. BBL seems to think it's worth the effort. 

CP thinks it's not worth the effort. So what. 

In case someone asks you: The ATM has text in a couple of languages on a screen. It was never printed and the functionality of the ATM is exactly the same for all languages. That is a couple of hour extra work for a programmer and that's about it.

Now ask anybody who prepared multi language printed documents how much work that involves - including keeping them current all the same.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

You missed my point.  I didn't suggest that they would do that, not in a million years.  Just pointing out that if you want tit for tat it would have to apply across the board and not just for the bits that you like. / feel hard done to by.

Tit for Tat I was referring to is that it didn't go any further than that. But a real tit for tat would have to be the economies are the same and the US doesn't depend on tourism from abroad. I got what you meant, and really on the other end most Thai with  money are ok to go to the US and then they also get a 10 year visa. Where is the trade off? In reality I would love a tit for Tat if that's the way they would want to play.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How many foreigners do you think would apply for such a card in Thailand? And how many Thais?

I guess the foreigners are best case 1% of the people who apply, probably a lot less.

Now if you would be the responsible manager would you spend lots of resources for the 1%?

Translation to English, English forms with "English" names, maybe passport numbers which don't fit the Thai ID number system, and and and.

It would be a lot of work for them to do this. Why should they do it?

Anybody can buy in 7/11 without a member card. And I will continue to go there because it's convenient - that the whole idea.

On the other hand, the Central Group think it is worthwhile with their “1 Card”. Their system accepts the western alphabet, and if you show your card at TOPS before the cashier starts ringing things up your receipt will be printed in English ! ( not sure about the other stores, think it is the same with Robinson’s at least). So it cannot be that hard to do.

14 minutes ago, MikeN said:

How about the water melon, or oranges I can buy just across the road at the “seven” 

Which 7 sells water melons? 

I know they sell different things in different places (like different sizes of condoms), but water melons?

On 4/19/2019 at 11:12 AM, 55Jay said:

Are you suggesting Thais could be small brained and possibly racist? 

They are universally wonderful people and if you say anything to the contrary, you are the small brained racist. 

How could you say anything bad about these people?  Look how lovely they are, always doing that thing with their hands, sweet gibberish language, always laughing and smiling, even when they rip you off or are being rude to you, they're sooooo nice about it!  ????

image.png.801267f210330d5a861d2bb6953a9771.png  image.png.2fbdb6ca6e9a47d7bec59678101edca6.png

And  don't forget to let them stab you 12  times.

5 minutes ago, MikeN said:

On the other hand, the Central Group think it is worthwhile with their “1 Card”. Their system accepts the western alphabet, and if you show your card at TOPS before the cashier starts ringing things up your receipt will be printed in English ! ( not sure about the other stores, think it is the same with Robinson’s at least). So it cannot be that hard to do.

There is no question if it can be done.

But looking at the customers in Central and how many foreigners spend a lot of money in that place and then looking at 7/11 it's obvious why they do it in Central.

Maybe they will even introduce it in 7/11 - after they set it up for their Thai customers and that is successful.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Get your gf to apply, then use her card, makes everyone happy.

Why have we got to be underhanded and cheat in LOS? Sod 'em. Big C is the way. Better quality staff too.

50 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Why have we got to be underhanded and cheat in LOS? Sod 'em. Big C is the way. Better quality staff too.

One way to live in a Banana land is to cheat and be underhanded

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There is no question if it can be done.

But looking at the customers in Central and how many foreigners spend a lot of money in that place and then looking at 7/11 it's obvious why they do it in Central.

Maybe they will even introduce it in 7/11 - after they set it up for their Thai customers and that is successful.

Central has a customer card for foreigners.

They will not easily give you the Thai version.

Alas, the card for foreigners has more profits.

Maybe time for CP to introduce 7card for Expatirates

gives you the right buy alcohol during hours Thai can't buy.

Perfect?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Date Masamune said:

Wish I could tip up seven card, used only for convenience. No tottering heaps of small
coins on bills. Now the staff get to count the bags of small coins I bring in to buy snacks and they don’t seem irritated by it.

You can top up, that what I do.

But I believe not with the new free ALLmembers card is just for the points, unless anyone confirms it can.

The card for credits, you have to buy, which is not a big issue as you will get gifts and coupons worth more then what you pay for.  The same with the plastic cony/brown cups it comes with coupons that 'gives back your money' if you normally buy coffee or slurry every day.

2 hours ago, uhuh said:

Which 7 sells water melons? 

I know they sell different things in different places (like different sizes of condoms), but water melons?

The one across the road from my condo in On Nut, and one in Phra Khanong, at least. It is a recent thing though, for about 2 months  or so, and not every day. Half watermelons to be precise, wrapped in meters of plastic naturally. They have a stand for bananas, watermelons and oranges .....and whatever junk food is on promotion on the other shelves below them.

They also have small bags of grapes in the chiller section, again not in stock every day.

This started after new manager/franchisee took over the place near me a while ago.

Edited by MikeN

1 hour ago, donim said:

Central has a customer card for foreigners.

They will not easily give you the Thai version.

Alas, the card for foreigners has more profits.

Maybe time for CP to introduce 7card for Expatirates

gives you the right buy alcohol during hours Thai can't buy.

Perfect?

The Central group has a tourist VIP card, where you have to show your passport for discounts. They also have the normal “1 Card” that is the same for Thais and resident expats, my application form was in Thai and English.

Absolutely no problem getting it. Most of the places where you can use the 1 Card do not especially cater for foreigners ....how many foreigners do you see in Officemate, B2S, Thaiwatsadu etc ? Even when I use it in TOPS most customers are Thai.

“the card for foreigners has more  profits” 

huh ? You spend xxx baht, you get x points ....same for everybody. 

Redeem xxx points, you get x baht discount, ......again same for everybody. That’s on big signs, in Thai and English.

Edited by MikeN

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

The Central group has a tourist VIP card, where you have to show your passport for discounts. They also have the normal “1 Card” that is the same for Thais and resident expats, my application form was in Thai and English.

Absolutely no problem getting it. Most of the places where you can use the 1 Card do not especially cater for foreigners ....how many foreigners do you see in Officemate, B2S, Thaiwatsadu etc ?

Statiscally counted, the same.

Foreigners in Thailand 1 on 27

Foreigners (except the Lao, Birma, Cambodians) 1 on 88

If two foreigners visit the Tops or Officemate and 100 Thais, then statiscally seen more foreigners then Thais.

????

These numbers are calculated from roughly estimate numbers. 69 million people Thailand (2017) , 2.58mil foreigners of which 1.8mil from neighbouring countries.

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

Even when I use it in TOPS most customers are Thai.

In Thailand, most customers are.. Thai  ????

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

“the card for foreigners has more  profits” 

huh ? You spend xxx baht, you get x points ....same for everybody. 

Redeem xxx points, you get x baht discount, ......again same for everybody. That’s on big signs, in Thai and English.

If memory serves me right it gives 5-50% discount on picked items and some stores gives 7% discount (in form of tax reduction) on where normally an passport need to be shown, this card does it automatic.

And the card for expatirates/foreigners discount came with a book with coupons I do remember.

For the points, you are right, both cards the same.

I, like do you as you said, do have the Thai version of the 1card,

for me they only gave me when I told I have a 13digits ID number.

Rgds,

When I go to 7-11 all I want to do is get in and get out, trying to save a few bhat on a 30b purchase isn't my idea way to spend my time. I just cannot be bothered by it. In Thailand 7-11 is owned by the CP company guess they can have what ever rules they like.

Correct.
And if you don’t like it, don’t shop there. Better still, go home so we’re all spared of your whining over a couple of Baht discount to which you’re not entitled to as a foreigner.

3 hours ago, Nemises said:

Correct.
And if you don’t like it, don’t shop there. Better still, go home so we’re all spared of your whining over a couple of Baht discount to which you’re not entitled to as a foreigner.

21 hours ago, moe666 said:

Not quite correct, 7/11 is a franchise, the master brand owner is a giant Japanese corporation.

The master brand owner fixes the global rules and regulations and operating procedures and the overall management processes, training etc., for all 7/11 shops, and there are many strict / not flexible rules. 

CP is the franchise holder for Thailand and must observe the master brand owners rules, a couple of years back someone on TV suggested that nobody would dare sanction CP.

Not true, the master brand owner has monitoring activities in operation on the ground all over the world and they would have no hesitation to tell CP they are out of line, impose a hefty fine and/or cancel the franchise. And I would have little doubt the franchise agreement mentions that if revoked the brand owner doesn't incur any expenses.

As well as the 7/11 shops operated by CP under the franchise there's a few 7/11 shops in Thailand that hold a franchise direct with the master brand owner in Japan. 

7/11 (under the CP franchise) is very successful in Thailand, no doubt there would be a list of other local giants who would love to very quickly grab the franchise if it was available.  

For the master brand owner a change of franchise holder would  just be a small bump and not much more,

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1