Obese US tourist who ‘forced flight attendants to wipe his bum while he moaned with pleasure’ dies in popular Thai resort

webfact

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Can't say I ever connected Ko Samui with prostitution.

maybe the 'connection' was all by phone - aka room service... as he sure as heck wouldn't have been capable of TakeOut

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JAG said:

I have. London to Mumbai (Jet) in the middle of three seat. The man in the aisle seat was very overweight, must have been 25 stone plus. Stank of stale sweat and snored like an old diesel train. Whenever a trolley came past he covered me like a stinking jelly. The staff were very solicitous, but the flight was full and there was little they could do. At one stage he waddled off to the toilet, where he stayed for a good twenty minutes. The staff immediately apologized, and brought me a couple of industrial strength gin and tonics!

I had a similar experience on an 8 hour flight from Honolulu to Guam on a 747.  I was seated in the middle row between two morbidly obese women (no offense meant) who had apparently bathed in Obsession perfume just prior to the flight.

No armrest time for me, no open seats to move to, my arms crossed and we hit heavy turbulence most of the way.  Needless to say, I was unable to get up and stretch my legs or breath some fresh air and had both women snoring and pressing up against me on both sides. 

Meal was served (a fowl soupy chicken lasagna as I recall).  I downed it and soon became nauseated and then puked and gagged for the remaining 4 or 5 hours flight.  I hate strong perfume anyways but that was the most miserable flight of my life and I'll never forget it.  

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai resort famed for prostitution.

what dos this mean,, where is this? i live there for 3.5 years and we never see any kind of protitution in there?  I must have bin on the wrong place...  

4 hours ago, Aforek said:

Can an airline refuse a passenger if he has paid already his seat ? 

In the US it is up to the final boarding crew.  Almost all carriers here in the USA would have demanded he get off and pay for the two additional seats.  They no longer supply overweight passengers with extra seats for free.  EVA is not a US carrier but I would assume security at the airport would have removed the passenger if they had complained about his seat use.

9 minutes ago, dontoearth said:

In the US it is up to the final boarding crew.  Almost all carriers here in the USA would have demanded he get off and pay for the two additional seats.  They no longer supply overweight passengers with extra seats for free.  EVA is not a US carrier but I would assume security at the airport would have removed the passenger if they had complained about his seat use.

Animatic's response (Post 45) gives a less sensationalist and more accurate account...  something I could never accuse the Sun news paper of doing. 

It would appear that the Deceased did purchase additional seats on his travels. 

I think every poster should read post 45 before commenting.

4 hours ago, justin case said:

imagine you have to sit next to this guy for hours

are they not forced to buy business class seat or something when so fat ?

Would not want to sit next to such a huge guy in business class either! Yes, there is more space, but THAT much more space???

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

In over 20 years of regular flying I've never had to sit next to someone obese.  Someone who's drunk and loud, yes, a few times... but never someone so large they take over my space.

IMO the loud inconsiderate drunks are more of an issue. 

Specifically on this subject - An airline surely has options as flights are rarely 100% full. 

It shouldn't be an issue give the guy two seats so someone doesn't have to be squeezed up next to him. OR, if economy is full there's no reason not to upgrade him to business. 

IF the flight is full, offer an alternative flight with more space. 

With the exception of the most extreme and rare circumstances there are always options to handle a situation like this in a more dignified manner. 

That said, the wiping bum incident was a shocker - I can't imagine any FA agreeing to such a thing and wonder how much exaggeration there was in that story. 

This whole episode along with quite a few comments on this forum stinks of people fat-shaming.

Hold it! Why should someone obese be giving a free upgrade to business class? And a say Gold Card member would not? As some airlines already do, very obese passengers are required to buy two tickets and thats only fair. Yes, I understand that there may be medical reasons for the condition. But I have seen many cases where I doubt that thats the case...

I took this flight last year(TPE to LAX and back).

1.  It is a long flight(14 hours)

2. All the FA’s were female and most were a little taller than most Thai women.

3.  A newspaper in Taiwan reported this passenger had booked a return flight on EVA Air for May(I guess they can just ship his body home?), Also, he had been placed on an EVA Air Blacklist but was still able to book the flight.

4.  I guess EVA Air will consider hiring Male FA’s now?

5.  Are Caskets for 400 pound bodies available in Thailand?

6.  EVA Air from Thailand to USA was really cheap($808 RT).  

8 hours ago, webfact said:

A THIRTY-one stone tourist who forced flight crew to wipe his bum as he moaned with pleasure has died in a seedy Thai resort famed for prostitution.

Not a moment too soon... dirty disgusting individual !

While I'm here all Thai people take a good look at this apology for a person & every time you step into an American food franchise & think it's HI-SO think again... Americas death nell to the world fast food & Pepsi !!!!

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Animatic's response (Post 45) gives a less sensationalist and more accurate account...  something I could never accuse the Sun news paper of doing. 

It would appear that the Deceased did purchase additional seats on his travels. 

I think every poster should read post 45 before commenting.

What?  And let facts get in the way of a good rant?

5 hours ago, gprl58 said:

Genetic obesity is a fantasy,  if you eat more than you burn, then you put on weight! Have a look at what over weight people consume, it's generally more a mental problem! 

It's true that the simple formula is to burn more calories than you consume.  But that's like saying the solution to homelessness is to just buy a house.

Where it gets complicated is the conditions, some of them genetic, that cause some people to have hunger pangs (for lack of a more technical term), regardless of how much they eat.  There are also medication regimes that cause a similar effect.

Try walking around hungry all day for years on end and see if you don't pick up some weight.  A lot of it.  Fortunately for most of us, we aren't afflicted.  There but for the Grace of God... (or Luck of the Draw for you atheists).

It's true that the simple formula is to burn more calories than you consume.  But that's like saying the solution to homelessness is to just buy a house.

Where it gets complicated is the conditions, some of them genetic, that cause some people to have hunger pangs (for lack of a more technical term), regardless of how much they eat.  There are also medication regimes that cause a similar effect.

Try walking around hungry all day for years on end and see if you don't pick up some weight.  A lot of it.  Fortunately for most of us, we aren't afflicted.  There but for the Grace of God... (or Luck of the Draw for you atheists).

We have all seen the horrendous photos of mistreated POWs horrible but what was the diet secret? Surprised people are not paying money to be locked in a starvation camp these days!

5 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

We have all seen the horrendous photos of mistreated POWs horrible but what was the diet secret? Surprised people are not paying money to be locked in a starvation camp these days!

'cause they come out of the POW camp in excellent health, right?

I lost 23 pounds in hospital (7 days) when I had my bypass surgery.  But I don't recommend that as a weight loss program, either.

Sure, parts of Koh Samui are seedy, but not all. Let's also not forget it's over crowded, with a failing infrastructure, is smelly, has appalling drivers even by Thailand standards, and the quality of Farang holidaying there (especially in Chaweng), is low even compared to Pattaya standards.... and that's saying something. 

38 minutes ago, GoodieAfterDark said:

Gross. Now just imagine your beloved bar girl sleeping with this <removed>. Or your cute Thai girlfriend. 

Kiss me baby ????

Think about it. Do you want to vomit in your throat now?

8 hours ago, Hank Gunn said:

Samui being a major tourist destination, there’s a real possibility that out of the hundreds of hotels/resorts there, there’s at least a couple/few that cater to or are friendly for pay to play. Reading about this guy, it seems highly likely that that’s the option he’d select.

Only a 'couple/few that cater to or are friendly for pay to play.' You serious?

It's Thailand we're talking about here. Pattaya may well be <removed> but Samui, Hua Hin, Krabi and all the other places where foreigners lurk have their grease traps.

If I was a flight attendant I think I would have just left him in the loo for the remainder of the flight and asked the RTP to assist him. He may have been moaning but it would not likely to have been from pleasure. 

Archived