People warned to avoid out-door activities due to high temperatures

webfact

7 hours ago, wreckingcountry said:

I was outside for too long one day, slightly dehydrated and by the evening had headache and diarrhoea ! It is extreme now

You have heat stroke, take it easy, get some fluids back into you, takes a good few days to recover...

I swim. For some reason, don't have a problem. I do cover up though. Most of the Thai guys out there are swimming in their speedos. They have better skin than me though, I see the sun and an alien grows out of my back. The women are covered, you've seen the lottery ticket sellers, now imagine one of these in a swimming pool, I kid you not. 

On 4/19/2019 at 5:20 AM, djayz said:
On 4/19/2019 at 4:26 AM, ubon farang said:

Well, you won't have to encourage the lazy Thais not to overdo it outside Most don't work anyway. So it should not be a problem

You beat me too it.... 

Yeah?  Have a look at the nanny state safety tables for working in the heat and you'll find that Euro Supermen aren't allowed to work more than a few minutes an hour when the temperature goes this high.

Nice Thai bash, anyway.

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

Yeah?  Have a look at the nanny state safety tables for working in the heat and you'll find that Euro Supermen aren't allowed to work more than a few minutes an hour when the temperature goes this high.

Nice Thai bash, anyway.

Wasn't a Thai bash. I was merely stating the obvious. They avoid working like it's a national sport, irrespective of the weather conditions. It's either "too hot to working" or it's "too "nau" to working". 

I know it's difficult doing manual labour outdoors in this heat (I do it every chance I get, which is about 2 days a week. Would do more if I didn't have a full-time job in the city), but where there's a will, there's a way

It might help to see a little better if you took off the rose tinted glasses for a while. 

7 minutes ago, djayz said:

It might help to see a little better if you took off the rose tinted glasses for a while.

For 6+ years, I worked with a dedicated group of Thai guys who did an amazing job for us offshore out of Songkhla, along with a very competent office staff of around 40 folks who also did great work.  We had electricians and welders whose work product I'd put up against any crew I've ever worked with. 

And I worked with some AFSCME union crews in the USA where getting 2 hours of genuine work out of an 8 hour day was pushing them.

16 minutes ago, djayz said:

Wasn't a Thai bash. I was merely stating the obvious. They avoid working like it's a national sport, irrespective of the weather conditions. It's either "too hot to working" or it's "too "nau" to working". 

I know it's difficult doing manual labour outdoors in this heat (I do it every chance I get, which is about 2 days a week. Would do more if I didn't have a full-time job in the city), but where there's a will, there's a way

BS ! In this heat for many Thai  who  have no option  but to work in rural Thailand  it is a  killer !

Your  "2  days a week" involves  what  and for how long in  any of those  days?

You are  not stating  "the obvious" at all. You are stating  your own perspective of your personal activity which  is  more than likely  well outside of the reality of  labouring Thai.

If  you object  to my  comment then  go ahead and  describe  your declared "work "and the conditions involved every chance you get....then I  might  concede some credence to the  condescending aspect  of your claim/s.

3 hours ago, SheungWan said:

London today: 23C. Sunny with a gentle breeze.

2 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

And  tomorrow...drizzle  that  brings down  the  soot  again. lol

Tomorrow's London weather predicted: 24C Sunny and a moderate breeze. And then that's our lot as the temp goes back into the teens.

3 hours ago, djayz said:

yeah its actually mainly the cambodians and burmese working in the heat here...

On 4/19/2019 at 6:49 PM, balo said:

I am moving a lot of stuff in a pickup tomorrow , and not looking forward to it.
It means a lot of walking , carrying bags etc , in this heat . It will be a living nightmare.  ☹️

how did the moving go  ?

22 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

BS ! In this heat for many Thai  who  have no option  but to work in rural Thailand  it is a  killer !

Your  "2  days a week" involves  what  and for how long in  any of those  days?

You are  not stating  "the obvious" at all. You are stating  your own perspective of your personal activity which  is  more than likely  well outside of the reality of  labouring Thai.

If  you object  to my  comment then  go ahead and  describe  your declared "work "and the conditions involved every chance you get....then I  might  concede some credence to the  condescending aspect  of your claim/s.

My 2 days of outdoor work involves a lot of gardening including digging, forming and shoring up 30m long grow beds with a shovel or garden hoe and garden rake; digging holes to plant trees or vegetables; mowing weeds and unwanted bushes with a bush strimmer, hand saw or garden knife (don't know the correct name of the tool); preparing the site for a medium sized garden shed, which I'll build myself; laying the driveway myself, etc. I work from 9/9:30 in the morning until 4/4:30 in the afternoon. No lunch break. No coffee breaks. If I could do it everyday, I would! 

As for the "many Thai who have no option", guess what? Life ain't easy and somebody's got to do the work. The harsh reality of the matter is not everybody has the luxury of working in an air-conditioned office/school/restaurant. If they don't like working outdoors, then they should learn a new trade and change jobs, shouldn't they? But guess what, they won't do that either because studying is "jak maak" (too hard) and it gives them headaches! 

Like I said in a previous post, a lot of them, not all of them, make up any excuse they can to avoid doing a bit of work. There are a lot of lazy sods here. 

I call a spade a spade. If that offends spades, or snowflakes, then so be it.

Some whiners'd give an aspiring a headache!

19 hours ago, tlandtday said:

yeah its actually mainly the cambodians and burmese working in the heat here...

Oddly enough, I've notice lately that there are very few of them up where I live. FIL used to always employ 4 - 6 of them but nowadays he can't seem to get hold of any. They're reliable and do a good day's work. He (FIL) won't take anybody from Isan or Laos anymore, bar one neighbour who has worked for him for decades and is as sound as a bell. One of the few in rural T.land. 

3 minutes ago, djayz said:

My 2 days of outdoor work involves a lot of gardening including digging, forming and shoring up 30m long grow beds with a shovel or garden hoe and garden rake; digging holes to plant trees or vegetables; mowing weeds and unwanted bushes with a bush strimmer, hand saw or garden knife (don't know the correct name of the tool); preparing the site for a medium sized garden shed, which I'll build myself; laying the driveway myself, etc. I work from 9/9:30 in the morning until 4/4:30 in the afternoon. No lunch break. No coffee breaks. If I could do it everyday, I would! 

As for the "many Thai who have no option", guess what? Life ain't easy and somebody's got to do the work. The harsh reality of the matter is not everybody has the luxury of working in an air-conditioned office/school/restaurant. If they don't like working outdoors, then they should learn a new trade and change jobs, shouldn't they? But guess what, they won't do that either because studying is "jak maak" (too hard) and it gives them headaches! 

Like I said in a previous post, a lot of them, not all of them, make up any excuse they can to avoid doing a bit of work. There are a lot of lazy sods here. 

I call a spade a spade. If that offends spades, or snowflakes, then so be it.

Some whiners'd give an aspiring a headache!

Come work  for  me !  Average temp 39C ..feels  like  44C. I wanna see  it . Every day 6  days straight!

Just now, Dumbastheycome said:

Come work  for  me !  Average temp 39C ..feels  like  44C. I wanna see  it . Every day 6  days straight!

You can't afford me ????

All joking aside, I know it's tough work. Some like it, others don't. Some have an option (like me), others don't. But fact is, we all have to eat and some people simply don't have a choice. That's their job, they should get on with it or get something different (I know that's easier said than done, but where there's a will, there's a way). 

1 minute ago, djayz said:

You can't afford me ????

All joking aside, I know it's tough work. Some like it, others don't. Some have an option (like me), others don't. But fact is, we all have to eat and some people simply don't have a choice. That's their job, they should get on with it or get something different (I know that's easier said than done, but where there's a will, there's a way). 

In Australia schools  and  some  employment  situations are shut  down  to avoid physical damage when temps exceed  40C.

Thais (more specifically/especially  rural)  can eat by foraging quite  efficiently.

In that sense they   make a mockery  of 'easier said than done".

They "work" when it is  timely-convenient-required as perceived  by themselves.

It is a social/cultural attitude  that confuddles  the expectation of western work ethic.

It is  both  frustrating and  admirable to me.

But there is a  divide  in Thai society now. Urban Thai versus remnant  rural where for the  urban  occupants money is a  crucial  component  of  existence.

But  for  neither is there any  real adulation for "money". Only opportunism for the  majority. Defaults  on easy  credit  purchases a prime example.

I have  long  given up general expectations  of genuine  work  ethic  or  pride  in occupation ( as western perspective) from the majority here.

It no longer  makes  me angry. In fact I  am undecided if it  saddens me or  if I should  congratulate  them on  not  wholly  subscribing  to  the subjugation of  western principles as a whole.

Therefore  I  have no arguement  in  real terms  with  your  opinion. At the same time I could  expand  in  volumes my own philosophical opinion.

44 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

In Australia schools  and  some  employment  situations are shut  down  to avoid physical damage when temps exceed  40C.

Many "retirees" from colder climes still seem to look upon the "heat" as a bonus, few have ever had to work in it, can be very unpleasant and dangerous, China protects its people by bringing in "summer" rules after three days of 36c temps.

It is  both  frustrating and  admirable to me.

Yep, the older I get, the more admiration I have for their attitude, frustrating though it is at times! Is life for living or working? If I was an employer I know what my opinion would be, as an employee - different!

I have  long  given up general expectations  of genuine  work  ethic  or  pride  in occupation ( as western perspective) from the majority here.

"Work ethic" from what I can figure out this is the perspective that very rich people try to force onto very poor people, many - through necessity had too buy into it, me for one, great PR - for them :wink:

On 4/22/2019 at 7:07 AM, steven100 said:

how did the moving go  ?

I changed my shirt 4 times that day, sweating like a pig .

But it went fine, I did not do all the hard work alone, the Thais can handle any temperature so I leave it to them. "Only" 36 degrees in Bangkok today. 

Archived