VFS Bangkok not returned passport

Hi all.

I am helping a friend with an application for a visitor visa for the UK 

for his Thai wife.

We have applied, had the interview and were told by SMS on the

4th of April that the passport was ready for pick up in Bangkok.

Then 1 hour later another SMS, as we had paid for a courier service

it would be sent to my address and would take 2-3 days.

Today is Friday 19th and still no passport has arrived.

I have e-mailed the VFS in Bangkok 3 times but have received no answer.

What can I do?

Thank you cmsally.

I did not know they were closed for Easter. But if the letter was sent on the 4th that should not make much difference. I was told 2-3 days.

And I was informed by VFS there is no tracking service available for their courier service

6 minutes ago, cnmltd said:

Thank you cmsally.

I did not know they were closed for Easter. But if the letter was sent on the 4th that should not make much difference. I was told 2-3 days.

And I was informed by VFS there is no tracking service available for their courier service

That is quite a while ago ! To send a domestic package with tracking is very cheap, can't believe they send it with no tracking.

Just now, cnmltd said:

Thank you cmsally.

Of course there is an EMS tracking service for couriered passports. You either tell them that you will collect in Bangkok - or you choose courier - and pay for that service.

Which did you have ?

2 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Of course there is an EMS tracking service for couriered passports. You either tell them that you will collect in Bangkok - or you choose courier - and pay for that service.

Which did you have ?

We paid 265 baht for their courier service.

I am well aware that EMS from Bkk to Pattaya costs 60 baht and is 

guaranteed next day delivery. I have used this many times.

But VFS use their own courier service and I was told 2-3 days and no tracking available.

VFS do send passports with EMS tracking. If you pay for courier delivery, you will be given a small plastic pouch after you finalise your application, with instructions to take it into the biometrics room when you are called.

The plastic pouch contains your passport and also a padded envelope with your address on it. This is the padded envelope in which your passport is returned to you.

If you open the plastic pouch you will be able to see the EMS tracking label on the padded envelope. You can make a note of the number or take a photo for later use.

13 minutes ago, cnmltd said:

They most certainly do.

They use their own courier company, not EMS

This from a friend who submitted yesterday...

The EV number can be followed on Thai Post Track & Trace.

20190419_162056.png.07842f13142b72f263c2c2d41d1a70c8.png

4 hours ago, cnmltd said:

They most certainly do.

They use their own courier company, not EMS

WRONG !

They don't have their own courier company  - listen to those that know!

British passport renewals are couriered back to Thailand... this is about visas where passports never leave Bangkok.

7 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

This from a friend who submitted yesterday...

The EV number can be followed on Thai Post Track & Trace.

Thanks for that. I will have a look again through the papers

1 minute ago, cnmltd said:

Thanks for that. I will have a look again through the papers

I do appologise for that. You are absolutely correct.

Thank you and all for your replies and help

2 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Looks like it was out for delivery but never delivered. maybe no one at home to sign or they couldn't find anyone. Best to contact 

Banglamung post office in person, to see if you can track it down.

Yes, it looks that way. Strange it wasn't carded.

Anyway, off to the Post Office in the morning.

Thank you for your replies.

16 hours ago, cnmltd said:

Yes, it looks that way. Strange it wasn't carded.

Anyway, off to the Post Office in the morning.

Thank you for your replies.

Check with a neighbour or family member as well.................... it is not unknown for an elderly relative to be given the package and they simply forget about it.

The 'Out for delivery' suggests that it is still with the postie.... in out neck of the woods it is not unusual for them to sit on post for a couple of days.

My money is on it being at the post office...

4 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Check with a neighbour or family member as well.................... it is not unknown for an elderly relative to be given the package and they simply forget about it.

The 'Out for delivery' suggests that it is still with the postie.... in out neck of the woods it is not unusual for them to sit on post for a couple of days.

My money is on it being at the post office...

And you would win.

It was indeed at the post office.

Their excuse "we were closed 5 days for Songkran"

It had been there 15 days!

No attempt at delivery, no card.

But at least I have it now and with a positive result regarding the visa.

1 hour ago, cnmltd said:

And you would win.

It was indeed at the post office.

Their excuse "we were closed 5 days for Songkran"

It had been there 15 days!

No attempt at delivery, no card.

But at least I have it now and with a positive result regarding the visa.

That is not unusual, I have lived on the outskirts of Chonburi for around 10 years and had the same quite a few times, If they fail to deliver they tend to sit on it in the hope that you will show up.

As far as VFS are concerned, I have made 11 applications through 4 different VFS offices and they are probably one of the worst companies I have come across regarding communication. Although in this case having given you a tracking number the ball was in your court but they could have pointed you in the right direction, unless of course you left it too close to Songkran before raising the issue.

One of the disadvantages of not being present at the application is that you are dependent on the applicant taking it all in, particularly first time round. Of the 4 VFS offices I have been to the UK is the only one that did not allow partners to be present.

We applied just before Songkran the first time, the VFS Office was very busy, we had too wait an hour after the appointment time,it took over 3 weeks for the Passport to be returned, last time nearly 2 weeks, it depends how many applications they are dealing with as well.

8 hours ago, Jip99 said:

We haven't received mail for about 18 months, except for a couple of times they deliver a small bundle that they have obviously kept for weeks and keep adding to. We have had many bills not arrive and they just say they can't do anything as there is no tracking. I do receive tea that I order from Ireland, but have to keep badgering the PO to make sure it doesn't 'go missing', and even then we have to collect it from the postman's house as he is too lazy to deliver. Just the way things are in Third World countries.

19 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

We haven't received mail for about 18 months, except for a couple of times they deliver a small bundle that they have obviously kept for weeks and keep adding to. We have had many bills not arrive and they just say they can't do anything as there is no tracking. I do receive tea that I order from Ireland, but have to keep badgering the PO to make sure it doesn't 'go missing', and even then we have to collect it from the postman's house as he is too lazy to deliver. Just the way things are in Third World countries.

Ha Ha...... our last postman delivered to a cousins internet shop 3km away because he couldn't be bothered to come out as far as us.

Archived