BANGKOK 21 May 2019 03:40
Enki

What about Yoghurt?

Disclaimer: I don't want to make it, but buy it, so this might be the wrong subsection, please move as appropriated.

I have trouble to find Yoghurt. Yes, supermarkets are full with it.

I need:

• some fat, preferred maximum
  • no sugar
  • no artificial sweetener
  • no flavour - for some absurd reason all yoghurt here is vanilla flavoured

Can anyone recommend a brand and "name" of the product? My GF does not grasp my request, as soon as there is "natural" or "original" on the lable she thinks it is ok. (And to her honour, the writing as in ingredients is so small, no one can read it anyway).

As a side note: I could not find any curd cheese at all!!

The shops around here are Tesco Lotus, Makro and Big C ... no luck.

I consider to use "light sugared" zero fat Yoghurt as source to make my own one. Any experience with that? Same for curd cheese, I wonder if milk rots faster in this climate than I can make curd cheese from it, any experience in that?

Thanx!!

P.S. in case you wonder: I simply want to make Tzaziki ...

• Haha 1

Yesterday at a new coffee shop on the 214 south of Prasat called Vision. Strawberry's and yoghurts..Scrumpdillicious😋

image.png.9dfa98cac63caa99be8ff0ff9f595b47.png

Why not make your own ?

Don't even have to boil the milk.

You have to use milk so fat level will depend on the milk.   There are zero fat unflavoured yogurts on the market, unfortunately all have sugar.

If you have a sunny spot somewhere it will set in glass jars.

Have had some jars in my fridge for a year just to see what happened, some mould some no mould and still edible.

It's even possible to make soy milk yogurt but it often doesn't set properly, commercial brands are often quite liquidy.

If you don't have time buy a yogurt maker.

• Like 1

I make keffir yogurt every day, (ie thick enough to be called a yogurt, as opposed to a milk). In this heat, the fresh milk rapidly thickens in 24 hours.

• Like 2

Yeah, I was thinking about that. Just wondering if the current temperatures are to high for it.

9 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

Why not make your own ?

Don't even have to boil the milk.

You have to use milk so fat level will depend on the milk.   There are zero fat unflavoured yogurts on the market, unfortunately all have sugar.

If you have a sunny spot somewhere it will set in glass jars.

Have had some jars in my fridge for a year just to see what happened, some mould some no mould and still edible.

It's even possible with the to make soy milk yogurt but it often doesn't set properly, commercial brands are often quite liquidy.

If you don't have time buy a yogurt maker.

With the diet Thai dairy cows on feed, the fat or butterfat content of the milk is low(as is the protein of the milk) a lot of farm gate milk does not meet the standard, so they will get docked a few stangs a kg of milk.

So for making yogurt no need to worry about the fat content of the milk.

The same reason it has been posted on other forums, that Thai milk is like colored water  

• Like 1

What about the greek yoghurt a couple stores sell - yes some are flavored, but keep looking. There are at least two different companies that sell it. "Farmers Union" is the brand I buy, (because you can never have enough garlic & dill yoghurt in the house.)

58 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Overnight usually works perfectly with Yolida as a starter.

The milk doesn't seem to matter, even powdered milk works.

(Don't use RAW milk, it has to be bacteria free, pasteurised)

You can use raw milk it has been done TV members have done it, to make yogurt you need a bacteria, Lacto Bacillus.

What you do not want is antibiotics in the milk,antibiotics in milk will kill any bacteria so yogurt cannot be made, but now those days are gone, when farmers sent milk with antibiotics in it,  all milk centers now test milk, any one found with antibiotics in the milk will be fined 30 days production, enough to put some farmers under. 

Just now, kickstart said:

You can use raw milk it has been done TV members have done it, to make yogurt you need a bacteria, Lacto Bacillus.

What you do not want is antibiotics in the milk,antibiotics in milk will kill any bacteria so yogurt cannot be made, but now those days are gone, when farmers sent milk with antibiotics in it,  all milk centers now test milk, any one found with antibiotics in the milk will be fined 30 days production, enough to put some farmers under. 

No, you have to pasteurise RAW milk first, if you try to make yogurt straight from it you end up with cream cheese.

I've done it many times.

Pint of Meji pasteurised milk stirred with half a tub of Yoplait in a glass jug and left on the top of the fridge undisturbed but covered overnight.

Will try and report result. Actually I have no complaint about milk to make, so far I looked for the cheapest, at the moment I have a 2.0l bottle of "Dutch Mill", but can not figure how much fat it has 😄 the thai script on the back side is so tiny, that I can not make a sharp photo to scale it up to read it. I try again when I have sunshine.

Posted (edited)
On 4/19/2019 at 9:39 AM, Enki said:

P.S. in case you wonder: I simply want to make Tzaziki ...

well then you don't want to have Yogurt.

You need to buy "Quark" in Pattaya Friendship Supermarket got it and if sold out probably Best Supermarket and Foodland has it.

Real Tzaziki  is made:

250 grs Quark

a small amount Sodawater or Sparkling Mineralwater     Just to make the Quark more soft not Liquid. 

1 spoon Olive Oil

1-2 garlic cloves (depends on your taste)                       I use 4

1 Fresh Salad Cucumber (the Japanese ones are best)    Rasp it fine

Salt and Pepper to individual taste

The Greeks do a shot vinegar to it but I prefer without.. 

Edited by See Will

Posted (edited)
On 4/19/2019 at 9:39 AM, Enki said:

As a side note: I could not find any curd cheese at all!!

You won't find it under that Name.

Look for "Quark" as above mentioned I bought it in every shop listed above

Quark has usually 40% fat and for Tzaziki its just right.. 

and don't try to spoil it with Onions, Cream or other herbs, it will take the taste of the Quark/Garlic/Cucumber combination.. 

Edited by See Will

Seems you stole my recipe 😛 I did not see any Quark ... I'm German, that word had sprung into my eye 😄

I usually used a mixture of Quark and Yoghurt  ... at the moment I use pure Yoghurt, but even with lots of salt and pepper on top of the Garlic I taste the sweetness. Luckily my Thai family likes it anyway as they don't know that it is not supposed to taste sweet, hence my attempt to make my own Yoghurt. I could make my own Quark, but when my mother made it the taste was always very sour and not pleasant.