What about Yoghurt?

Enki

Disclaimer: I don't want to make it, but buy it, so this might be the wrong subsection, please move as appropriated.

I have trouble to find Yoghurt. Yes, supermarkets are full with it.

I need:

• some fat, preferred maximum
  • no sugar
  • no artificial sweetener
  • no flavour - for some absurd reason all yoghurt here is vanilla flavoured

Can anyone recommend a brand and "name" of the product? My GF does not grasp my request, as soon as there is "natural" or "original" on the lable she thinks it is ok. (And to her honour, the writing as in ingredients is so small, no one can read it anyway).

As a side note: I could not find any curd cheese at all!!

The shops around here are Tesco Lotus, Makro and Big C ... no luck.

I consider to use "light sugared" zero fat Yoghurt as source to make my own one. Any experience with that? Same for curd cheese, I wonder if milk rots faster in this climate than I can make curd cheese from it, any experience in that?

Thanx!!

P.S. in case you wonder: I simply want to make Tzaziki ...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not make your own ?

Don't even have to boil the milk.

You have to use milk so fat level will depend on the milk.   There are zero fat unflavoured yogurts on the market, unfortunately all have sugar.

If you have a sunny spot somewhere it will set in glass jars.

Have had some jars in my fridge for a year just to see what happened, some mould some no mould and still edible.

It's even possible to make soy milk yogurt but it often doesn't set properly, commercial brands are often quite liquidy.

If you don't have time buy a yogurt maker.

9 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

Why not make your own ?

Don't even have to boil the milk.

You have to use milk so fat level will depend on the milk.   There are zero fat unflavoured yogurts on the market, unfortunately all have sugar.

If you have a sunny spot somewhere it will set in glass jars.

Have had some jars in my fridge for a year just to see what happened, some mould some no mould and still edible.

It's even possible with the to make soy milk yogurt but it often doesn't set properly, commercial brands are often quite liquidy.

If you don't have time buy a yogurt maker.

With the diet Thai dairy cows on feed, the fat or butterfat content of the milk is low(as is the protein of the milk) a lot of farm gate milk does not meet the standard, so they will get docked a few stangs a kg of milk.

So for making yogurt no need to worry about the fat content of the milk.

The same reason it has been posted on other forums, that Thai milk is like colored water  

1 hour ago, Enki said:

Yeah, I was thinking about that. Just wondering if the current temperatures are to high for it.

Overnight usually works perfectly with Yolida as a starter.

The milk doesn't seem to matter, even powdered milk works.

(Don't use RAW milk, it has to be bacteria free, pasteurised)

What about the greek yoghurt a couple stores sell - yes some are flavored, but keep looking. There are at least two different companies that sell it. "Farmers Union" is the brand I buy, (because you can never have enough garlic & dill yoghurt in the house.)

58 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Overnight usually works perfectly with Yolida as a starter.

The milk doesn't seem to matter, even powdered milk works.

(Don't use RAW milk, it has to be bacteria free, pasteurised)

You can use raw milk it has been done TV members have done it, to make yogurt you need a bacteria, Lacto Bacillus.

What you do not want is antibiotics in the milk,antibiotics in milk will kill any bacteria so yogurt cannot be made, but now those days are gone, when farmers sent milk with antibiotics in it,  all milk centers now test milk, any one found with antibiotics in the milk will be fined 30 days production, enough to put some farmers under. 

Just now, kickstart said:

You can use raw milk it has been done TV members have done it, to make yogurt you need a bacteria, Lacto Bacillus.

What you do not want is antibiotics in the milk,antibiotics in milk will kill any bacteria so yogurt cannot be made, but now those days are gone, when farmers sent milk with antibiotics in it,  all milk centers now test milk, any one found with antibiotics in the milk will be fined 30 days production, enough to put some farmers under. 

No, you have to pasteurise RAW milk first, if you try to make yogurt straight from it you end up with cream cheese.

I've done it many times.

Pint of Meji pasteurised milk stirred with half a tub of Yoplait in a glass jug and left on the top of the fridge undisturbed but covered overnight.

Will try and report result. Actually I have no complaint about milk to make, so far I looked for the cheapest, at the moment I have a 2.0l bottle of "Dutch Mill", but can not figure how much fat it has ???? the thai script on the back side is so tiny, that I can not make a sharp photo to scale it up to read it. I try again when I have sunshine.

On 4/19/2019 at 9:39 AM, Enki said:

P.S. in case you wonder: I simply want to make Tzaziki ...

well then you don't want to have Yogurt.

You need to buy "Quark" in Pattaya Friendship Supermarket got it and if sold out probably Best Supermarket and Foodland has it.

Real Tzaziki  is made:

250 grs Quark

a small amount Sodawater or Sparkling Mineralwater     Just to make the Quark more soft not Liquid. 

1 spoon Olive Oil

1-2 garlic cloves (depends on your taste)                       I use 4

1 Fresh Salad Cucumber (the Japanese ones are best)    Rasp it fine

Salt and Pepper to individual taste

The Greeks do a shot vinegar to it but I prefer without.. 

On 4/19/2019 at 9:39 AM, Enki said:

As a side note: I could not find any curd cheese at all!!

You won't find it under that Name.

Look for "Quark" as above mentioned I bought it in every shop listed above

Quark has usually 40% fat and for Tzaziki its just right.. 

and don't try to spoil it with Onions, Cream or other herbs, it will take the taste of the Quark/Garlic/Cucumber combination.. 

Seems you stole my recipe ???? I did not see any Quark ... I'm German, that word had sprung into my eye ????

I usually used a mixture of Quark and Yoghurt  ... at the moment I use pure Yoghurt, but even with lots of salt and pepper on top of the Garlic I taste the sweetness. Luckily my Thai family likes it anyway as they don't know that it is not supposed to taste sweet, hence my attempt to make my own Yoghurt. I could make my own Quark, but when my mother made it the taste was always very sour and not pleasant.

Going off topic... Cream cheese is really easy to make and excellent for sauces. I take a 2 litre flask of full fat milk from Makro, bring it to a boil and add vinegar (or lemon juice) , 2-3 Tbsp, strain off the curds. Garlic, salt etc can be added.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

13 hours ago, Enki said:

Seems you stole my recipe ???? I did not see any Quark ... I'm German, that word had sprung into my eye ????

I usually used a mixture of Quark and Yoghurt  ... at the moment I use pure Yoghurt, but even with lots of salt and pepper on top of the Garlic I taste the sweetness. Luckily my Thai family likes it anyway as they don't know that it is not supposed to taste sweet, hence my attempt to make my own Yoghurt. I could make my own Quark, but when my mother made it the taste was always very sour and not pleasant.

Then you must be the one who stole the recipe from our Greek Restaurant 55555. 

The last 250 grs of Quark I bought in Friendship Supermarket. Its standing in the Fridge on the other side of the Vegetables.

As far I remember the head of the cool shelf or inside where the Ketchup/Mustard shelf is.

But also the Fresh Mart in Jomtien near the Bus station use to have it in the shelf beside the Russian Kefir.

My self made Quark was the same, it just pulled my Flip Flops of my feet and I decided to pour it under permanent steering into the Kitchen sink.

My Job is here in 5 days over and hope the client has not more for a few weeks. When home I keep an extra eye open and post it here when I pop into it..  

But its not in the classic white Quark packs, but more like the Sauerkraut square packs.

11 hours ago, cooked said:

Going off topic... Cream cheese is really easy to make and excellent for sauces. I take a 2 litre flask of full fat milk from Makro, bring it to a boil and add vinegar (or lemon juice) , 2-3 Tbsp, strain off the curds. Garlic, salt etc can be added.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Gonna try that

On 4/19/2019 at 3:39 PM, Enki said:

Can anyone recommend a brand and "name" of the product?

Yolida is the name , the best you can get in Thailand.  1 litre is 59 baht. Big C, Tesco, Friendship, Foodland, Villa.

0100599-1_4.jpg

19 hours ago, Enki said:

Will try and report result. Actually I have no complaint about milk to make, so far I looked for the cheapest, at the moment I have a 2.0l bottle of "Dutch Mill", but can not figure how much fat it has ???? the thai script on the back side is so tiny, that I can not make a sharp photo to scale it up to read it. I try again when I have sunshine.

As I said with the poor diet of the Thai dairy cows, the BF butterfat will be no higher than 3.5%, I always use the no fat milk.

On 4/21/2019 at 5:44 PM, balo said:

Yolida is the name , the best you can get in Thailand.  1 litre is 59 baht. Big C, Tesco, Friendship, Foodland, Villa.

0100599-1_4.jpg

Ah, I was about to sent pictures, yesterday I stumbled over this one, and another Thai yoghurt with no added sugar or flavour.

My first attempt with the milk mentioned above was successful!! Superb tasting mild sour yoghurt, either the little amount of sugar of the yoghurt I used as starter was metabolized or is so few it did not taste out. For some reason I was super proud, haha. After all it was super easy, no real reason to be proud ... lol.

Next experiment will be with "Bulgaria" from Meiji (found it and the pictures below in a Big C)

BTW: I don't live in BKK, but in Isaan ... all attempts to find "Quark" failed so far.

Yoghurt1.jpg

Yoghurt2.jpg

On 4/23/2019 at 2:52 PM, Enki said:

Next experiment will be with "Bulgaria" from Meiji (found it and the pictures below in a Big C)

I can assure you the Dairy Home won't work as a starter. It needs to say 'live bacteria' NOT ''Organic Milk'

The 'set yogurt' will have been microwaved to kill all the bacteria and give it a longer shelf life, no good as a starter.

As the previous poster stated, use a 1/2 cup from your last ferment to start the next ferment.

I actually did that. But wanted to try the other as a start, too. It seems to have living "bacteria". The two pictures above are simply about "natural Thai" yoghurt. I doubt they killed the bacteria. Why would anyone go to that effort?

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I can assure you the Dairy Home won't work as a starter. It needs to say 'live bacteria' NOT ''Organic Milk'

The 'set yogurt' will have been microwaved to kill all the bacteria and give it a longer shelf life, no good as a starter.

As the previous poster stated, use a 1/2 cup from your last ferment to start the next ferment.

And why can you not use organic milk for yoghurt ,In my last post I said you can use unpasteurized milk, you said milk has to be pasteurized, organic milk   is pasteurized  the same way as any normal pasteurized milk, organic milk comes from cows that are fed a diet where  the raw ingredients are chemical free, not easy in Thailand, a Thai friend of mine has done it, feed is expensive, and he had an infertility problem with his cows, diet short of energy .

In our country's many people use organic milk to make yoghurt, it has the same protein, fat and bacteria count as normal pasteurized milk.

One poster said he used the cheapest Dutch Mill from 7-11, and it worked, so would organic milk.

1 hour ago, Enki said:

I actually did that. But wanted to try the other as a start, too. It seems to have living "bacteria". The two pictures above are simply about "natural Thai" yoghurt. I doubt they killed the bacteria. Why would anyone go to that effort?

Killing the bacteria makes the yogurt last 3-6 months longer on the shelf.

If it doesn't say 'live bacteria' you can be sure they killed it all.

Similar to milk, RAW milk last 3 days, Pasteurised milk lasts 3 weeks, Milk reconstituted from powder lasts months without going off. (Most milk sold in Thailand is made from powder which is why it never goes off)

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Similar to milk, RAW milk last 3 days, Pasteurised milk lasts 3 weeks, Milk reconstituted from powder lasts months without going off. (Most milk sold in Thailand is made from powder which is why it never goes off)

Wrong, most milk sold in Thailand is whole milk, the bottles you buy from 7-11 Big C etc are fresh whole milk, the flavoured milk in small bottles that is powdered milk, a lot comes from Australia and New Zeland.

In my area central Lopburi 100 ton of milk a day is produced it goes to factors in Pack Chon and down to Bangkok .and is processed in this area, one factory even makes cottage cheese. 

The Thai Denmark milk company only use fresh milk, they factory at Mortlec , Saraburi now even has an organic milk plant.

They is no raw milk sold to the public in Thailand, the reason pasteurized milk lasts a long time is the pasteurizing proses keep milk a long time if you ask about it is the same in our country's milk will keep a long time.

All you have to do is look at a bottle of milk it will say fresh milk, my Dutch Mill bottle  says in Thai, Perlit -Jak- Nam-Nom-Kor -Sot-Tuck -Sun, Produced from quality  fresh cows milk, some say 100%fresh milk 

So next time you are in the shops get Thai wife, G/F, to translate a label for you.

Archived