What about Yoghurt?

Enki

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

"They is no raw milk sold to the public in Thailand"

I must be imagining the 5Kg bags of RAW milk (nom dip) I buy from the Thai-Danish milk company in Chiang Mai for 130bht then. (opposite the Zoo in Huey Keow Road)

Prostitution, selling lottery tickets on the underground lottery, and a host of other things in LOS are all illegal, but it still goes on, like your milk centre selling you raw milk.

In my area we have 5 milk centres all buy milk direct from the farms, and all of them would sell me some milk if I asked them.

All the milk centres do is empty the milk churns,  weigh the farmers milk,  issue a ticket   check the milk for quality and antibiotics, and cool the milk, no dairy farms have milk cooling equipment, store it then send it to the factory's  for processing, and  paying the farmers for the milk, and  of cause selling bags of milk out of the back door.  

These yoghurt on the bottom shelf, any has good review on these and which one?

Same requirement as the OP, no sugar, no sweetners and no other additives then needed.

38904.thumb.jpg.1c76e36d8314df8779a4a35fff87def9.jpg

I did make my own yoghurt. With milk from either Meij or DutchMill,  darkblue top.

Heated it first, poured in a plastic food box and after cooling down for a bit a

spoonfull of Yoghurt from the airplane (left over stock sold on market) is added.

Wrap around an towel and keep overnight. Two for a thicker substance.

25% goes into jar and cooled, and 75% goes trough a cheeseclotch, hang drip dry.

Water then is yellow, called whey, and that is for the afternoon snack -pancakes- !

That what is in the cheeseclotch, is quark or soft cheese depending on how long it

was left to dry.

bon appétit / guten appetit / eet smakelijk / buon appetito

Rgds,

On 4/25/2019 at 9:10 PM, Gulfsailor said:

At BigC. Not cheap at around 200 Baht, but full fat and by far the best tasting yoghurt I found in Thailand. 

81CDFD87-795D-4BF7-838F-5712E5C8240C.png

I will try to find it next time I'm at Big C, thanks!

UPDATE,

I used a bit of my first self made yoghurt to start the next one. But I stared around noon, around 18:00 it looked as if I spoiled it. The milk was separated into water on the bottom and "white" on top. I assumed it was to hot and it would be sour milk (the milk was opened about a week before, but still half full).

It was "dutch milk 'selected' ". Anyway, I did not lose faith and kept it over night on the shelf and another day in the fridge. Then I dared to open it, and it just smelled like yoghurt. I put it into a net on kitchen paper, and let the water drain. In the end I had a thick yoghurt, which I used for a banana milk shake. Or call it a smoothie ????

My current experiment is with the Bulgaria brand ...

Regarding the pasteurized milk: it is a better starter than raw milk, as in raw milk all the different bacteria compete about making either cheese or rot or lassie or yoghurt. But I guess if you know the right temperature (having a yogurt maker e.g.) raw milk would be better.

So: where to get that cheesecloth? I find it incredible difficult to find the simplest things ???? my GF uses old shirts to remove split water etc. and the dishes are simply drying by itself.

3 minutes ago, Jamesanderson said:

I love yogurt. And I can make some tasty and yummy dishes using yogurt.

Yes, but you are male, so I'm not interested ????

On 4/21/2019 at 6:13 AM, cooked said:

Going off topic... Cream cheese is really easy to make and excellent for sauces. I take a 2 litre flask of full fat milk from Makro, bring it to a boil and add vinegar (or lemon juice) , 2-3 Tbsp, strain off the curds. Garlic, salt etc can be added.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

indian cottage cheese is easy to make at home see recipe for paneer...pretty much just milk and vinegar as you described

https://food.ndtv.com/lists/10-best-paneer-recipes-700316

haven't been able to find western type cottage cheese anywhere...I would kill for a quart tub of Knudsen's full fat small curd with some corn tortillas and salsa...

there is a 'Carolina' brand thai natural yogurt that ain't half bad...they also make a nice feta, good in salads...

36 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

indian cottage cheese is easy to make at home see recipe for paneer...pretty much just milk and vinegar as you described

https://food.ndtv.com/lists/10-best-paneer-recipes-700316

haven't been able to find western type cottage cheese anywhere...I would kill for a quart tub of Knudsen's full fat small curd with some corn tortillas and salsa...

there is a 'Carolina' brand thai natural yogurt that ain't half bad...they also make a nice feta, good in salads...

I see they have goats milk in Makro.....

On 4/20/2019 at 8:14 PM, user343434 said:

well then you don't want to have Yogurt.

You need to buy "Quark" in Pattaya Friendship Supermarket got it and if sold out probably Best Supermarket and Foodland has it.

Real Tzaziki  is made:

250 grs Quark

a small amount Sodawater or Sparkling Mineralwater     Just to make the Quark more soft not Liquid. 

1 spoon Olive Oil

1-2 garlic cloves (depends on your taste)                       I use 4

1 Fresh Salad Cucumber (the Japanese ones are best)    Rasp it fine

Salt and Pepper to individual taste

The Greeks do a shot vinegar to it but I prefer without.. 

What on earth are you talking about??!! Why would you write such a thing?

Quark is a cheese formed from curdled milk. Yoghurt is not formed from curds, so completely different from Quark.

Tzatziki/cacık is made from strained yoghurt. That is yoghurt with most of the whey removed.

Greek yoghurt or similar is what is needed. Not Greek yoghurt from the USA, as the food there is often adulterated. It will likely have thickeners as opposed to being created properly.

Something to do with not having legal definitions in the USA, so producers just adulterate the process by adding thickeners to make it appear thick like Greek yoghurt and call it Greek yoghurt....which it isn't.

Quark for real Tzatziki? Absolutely not. I don't know how you managed to get away with that for so long.

Strained yoghurt is what is needed.

17 hours ago, Enki said:

I will try to find it next time I'm at Big C, thanks!

It contains 9 to 10% fat, which is normal for Greek yoghurt. Though of course this is from Australia and therefore Greek style.

I wouldn't even think that it's such a big deal for being in Thai and wanting Yoghurt and not able to buy it on lot of places. Like many other people suggest if you are so picky for a lot of things you could search google for home made version and then report here;)  

As myself and others have posted - make your own, sugar free but you will have to put up with low fat.

Didn't even cook the milk, added starter, just put it in glass jars, put the jars outside, but not in direct sun, brought them in in the evening - before dark - put the jars in the fridge or on a table top and voila next morning yogurt.      It can be used for eating and in alternative medicine.

On 5/2/2019 at 12:14 PM, KneeDeep said:

Quark for real Tzatziki? Absolutely not.

Absolutely yes. The best Tzaziki is roughly 50% quark versus roughly 50% Yohgurt ... well and 10% cucumber and another 50% gallic. YMMV.

On 5/2/2019 at 3:28 PM, ppVirtuoso said:

I wouldn't even think that it's such a big deal for being in Thai and wanting Yoghurt and not able to buy it on lot of places. Like many other people suggest if you are so picky for a lot of things you could search google for home made version and then report here;)  

I like to cook / make European food for my Thai family. Cucumber + Gallic is easy (they don't even know what Cucumber Salad, Carrot Salad or Tomato Salad is) ... spicing it up with Yoghurt, to get Tsaziki or Cucumber salads that use cream/yoghurt is a nice bonus.

Perhaps I even make a small restaurant with stuff like this.

20 minutes ago, Enki said:

Absolutely yes. The best Tzaziki is roughly 50% quark versus roughly 50% Yohgurt ... well and 10% cucumber and another 50% gallic. YMMV.

I wrote real, not some bastardised version. Real needs Greek yoghurt or similar. That is 10% fat yoghurt. If it's made from sheep's milk, even better.

The problem is that you are using inferior products in the first instance, so Quark will add some flavour to an insipid recipe.

Quark is some European addition. Probably German. Enough said about that.

50% garlic?? So that would be 100 grams of garlic for 200 grams of Greek yoghurt.

This thread has gone mad. I'm out.

29 minutes ago, Enki said:

I like to cook / make European food for my Thai family. Cucumber + Gallic is easy (they don't even know what Cucumber Salad, Carrot Salad or Tomato Salad is) ... spicing it up with Yoghurt, to get Tsaziki or Cucumber salads that use cream/yoghurt is a nice bonus.

Perhaps I even make a small restaurant with stuff like this.

Erm....no. There are enough crap restaurants around as it is. They are crap because they use cheap or local ingredients which are unsuitable and usually lacking in flavour.

I know, because I import my own ingredients, so I don't need to suffer eating the cheap, often overpriced rubbish that is often sold here.

5 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Erm....no. There are enough crap restaurants around as it is. They are crap because they use cheap or local ingredients which are unsuitable and usually lacking in flavour.

I know, because I import my own ingredients, so I don't need to suffer eating the cheap, often overpriced rubbish that is often sold here.

That is why I want to make my own, (facepalm).

On 4/20/2019 at 6:08 PM, Enki said:

Yeah, I was thinking about that. Just wondering if the current temperatures are to high for it.

Works fine, I do it 2-3 times a week.

When this bowl of yogurt gets down to the dregs, I just top it up with milk, give it a sir, then leave it out (covered) overnight. A never-ending supply of yogurt.

yogurt2.jpg

This one started last night, about 24hrs ago, I already used it for breakfast.

16 minutes ago, Enki said:

That is why I want to make my own, (facepalm).

????

So yours will be a yoghurt restaurant? What about the other ingredients?

...and how will you make your own 10% fat strained yoghurt? With inferior milk products? See where I am going?

So let's stick to yoghurt making recipes and forget about the restaurant idea.

4 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

So yours will be a yoghurt restaurant? What about the other ingredients?

...and how will you make your own 10% fat strained yoghurt? With inferior milk products? See where I am going?

Makro do a decent selection of frozen fruit and berries, add to that seasonal fruit.

I like mine with a couple of spoons of honey. Sometimes with fruit or muesli. 

Not sure about inferior milk, I use Meiji full fat, the yogurt usually comes out better than the shop bought yogurt.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Makro do a decent selection of frozen fruit and berries, add to that seasonal fruit.

I like mine with a couple of spoons of honey. Sometimes with fruit or muesli. 

Not sure about inferior milk, I use Meiji full fat, the yogurt usually comes out better than the shop bought yogurt.

Sounds good.

Full fat milk is around 4% fat. Tzatziki is usually made with 10% fat yoghurt. I guess one can add some double cream to the yoghurt, but....

This is the issue, to create an authentic taste here, is going to cost you.

Have you tried it with their 5% fat Gold Maxx product? https://www.tops.co.th/th/meiji-gold-maxx-pasteurized-milk-946cc-8850329183715

Archived