What about Yoghurt?

Enki

45 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

????

So yours will be a yoghurt restaurant? What about the other ingredients?

...and how will you make your own 10% fat strained yoghurt? With inferior milk products? See where I am going?

So let's stick to yoghurt making recipes and forget about the restaurant idea.

The restaurant, as a side thing to my martial arts school, will not be yoghurt based. But based around traditional european salads and other things. Tsaziki was just an idea ... there are many cucumber salad variations with either cream or Yoghurt, and my only concern is: FAT ... and the second concern is additional flavours ... does not matter which, I don't want them, regardless what I eat.

But thanks, I know the internet. You ask a simple question and get 100 advices describing why the question is dumb ... <deleted>.

You can use Yoghurt in many indian dishes, or as a variation of European dishes ... e.g. ice cream from Yoghurt instead of milk ... or instead of pure fruit based icd cream. Milk shakes. Decoration to a fruit salad, main ingredients of a fruit salad ... etc. As a "souce" to meat, e.g. lamb or even fish. 

> With inferior milk products?

The milk products I get here are on the exact same levels as in Germany, 3.5% FAT milk, no idea what you consider "inferiour". Sure, I did not find the 3.8% yet ... but that is hard to get in Germany, too.

But thanks for your advice to my cooking skills ... last time I cooked it was for about 30 people. Unfortunately only 10 came. When I wanted to eat finally, around 1:00 at night, my wife said: oh, we did not know you are hungry, they took all the food home!!!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Enki said:

The restaurant, as a side thing to my martial arts school, will not be yoghurt based. But based around traditional european salads and other things. Tsaziki was just an idea ... there are many cucumber salad variations with either cream or Yoghurt, and my only concern is: FAT ... and the second concern is additional flavours ... does not matter which, I don't want them, regardless what I eat.

But thanks, I know the internet. You ask a simple question and get 100 advices describing why the question is dumb ... <deleted>.

You can use Yoghurt in many indian dishes, or as a variation of European dishes ... e.g. ice cream from Yoghurt instead of milk ... or instead of pure fruit based icd cream. Milk shakes. Decoration to a fruit salad, main ingredients of a fruit salad ... etc. As a "souce" to meat, e.g. lamb or even fish. 

The milk products I get here are on the exact same levels as in Germany, 3.5% FAT milk, no idea what you consider "inferiour". Sure, I did not find the 3.8% yet ... but that is hard to get in Germany, too.

But thanks for your advice to my cooking skills ... last time I cooked it was for about 30 people. Unfortunately only 10 came. When I wanted to eat finally, around 1:00 at night, my wife said: oh, we did not know you are hungry, they took all the food home!!!

I read this post twice...

Germany....as I suspected.

I've not seen 3.5% Fat milk. 4% is the norm in the UK. 5%  for Jersey/Gold Top milk.

European salads?? What is a European salad? Do you mean Greek or Turkish or.....

Can you buy organic milk here?

As I stated earlier, there are already many mediocre restaurants here.

So let's stick to the topic of yoghurt, which is interesting enough on it's own.

I'm not criticising you. You can make up your own recipes and they can be delicious. But don't call it real Tzatziki.

As a European, you will know that we have legal definitions for foodstuffs in order to protect producers and us from imposters.

So please, don't take my comments as against you, but only as someone who appreciates good food.

12 minutes ago, Enki said:

...and I know the many uses of yoghurt, which is why it is an interesting subject on it's own. No need to digress into discussing opening a salad restaurant or the relative benefits of Wing Chun...

8 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

I read this post twice...

Germany....as I suspected.

I've not seen 3.5% Fat milk. 4% is the norm in the UK. 5%  for Jersey/Gold Top milk.

European salads?? What is a European salad? Do you mean Greek or Turkish or.....

Can you buy organic milk here?

As I stated earlier, there are already many mediocre restaurants here.

So let's stick to the topic of yoghurt, which is interesting enough on it's own.

I'm not criticising you. You can make up your own recipes and they can be delicious. But don't call it real Tzatziki.

As a European, you will know that we have legal definitions for foodstuffs in order to protect producers and us from imposters.

So please, don't take my comments as against you, but only as someone who appreciates good food.

European salads:

Tomato, Mozarella, Basilic.

Dozens of variations of Tomato salad.

Dozens of variations of Cucumber salad.

Dozens of variations of Carrot salad.

Italian antipasti, which we germans would consider "salad".

Octupus salad. Beef salad. If you really insist: potato salad.

"4% is the norm in the UK. 5%  for Jersey/Gold Top milk." Yes, never heard about that. Does not exist in Germany or France.

"Can you buy organic milk here?"

Yes, you can.

"But don't call it real Tzatziki." There are dozens of variations of Tzaziki. The first recipe I learned was with Quark. And the first comment about it recommending quark in this thread was from a greek who's family is running a greek restaurant. So: get down from your high horse. In my town all greek restaurants either have a secret or use Quark, just like I do ????

"As a European, you will know that we have legal definitions for foodstuffs in order to protect producers and us from imposters."

For stuff sold in a super market, aka, not calling "cow Feta" Feta, but in my Restaurant I can call stuff like I want, as long as I don't call "Feta made from cow milk" Feta ????

18 minutes ago, Enki said:

European salads:

Tomato, Mozarella, Basilic.

Dozens of variations of Tomato salad.

Dozens of variations of Cucumber salad.

Dozens of variations of Carrot salad.

Italian antipasti, which we germans would consider "salad".

Octupus salad. Beef salad. If you really insist: potato salad.

"4% is the norm in the UK. 5%  for Jersey/Gold Top milk." Yes, never heard about that. Does not exist in Germany or France.

"Can you buy organic milk here?"

Yes, you can.

"But don't call it real Tzatziki." There are dozens of variations of Tzaziki. The first recipe I learned was with Quark. And the first comment about it recommending quark in this thread was from a greek who's family is running a greek restaurant. So: get down from your high horse. In my town all greek restaurants either have a secret or use Quark, just like I do ????

"As a European, you will know that we have legal definitions for foodstuffs in order to protect producers and us from imposters."

For stuff sold in a super market, aka, not calling "cow Feta" Feta, but in my Restaurant I can call stuff like I want, as long as I don't call "Feta made from cow milk" Feta ????

Yes, your German town.

Yes, all authentic variations of Tzatziki contain strained yoghurt, unless they are cutting corners.

I'm not going to argue with you. I will just repeat that there are already enough mediocre restaurants around and yours will just be another.

I ate at a Greek restaurant here and never returned. It was just sad.

I made a Greek salad just yesterday. Do you have Kalamata extra virgin olive olive? Kalamata olives? Sheep's milk Feta?

986663387_Greeksalad.thumb.jpg.8ca64c7494ce25cbcd6ed7237c0f85b5.jpg

You really should stop and get back to the topic of yoghurt. 

To have authentic ingredients, your restaurant will be so expensive that no one would attend. So you'll end up cutting corners and it will be crap.

On 4/20/2019 at 9:02 PM, BritManToo said:

No, you have to pasteurise RAW milk first, if you try to make yogurt straight from it you end up with cream cheese.

I've done it many times.

Pint of Meji pasteurised milk stirred with half a tub of Yoplait in a glass jug and left on the top of the fridge undisturbed but covered overnight.

I think Meji and Chock Chai Farm milk is the only good and real milk you can get here. 

Yes I agree on "gourmet Youghurt" is one of the better ones.

It was my favorite until I discovered Yolida.  Same price but bigger size so more value for money. 

36 minutes ago, balo said:

It was my favorite until I discovered Yolida.  Same price but bigger size so more value for money. 

Buy one big Yolida and it reproduces itself for the next month.

When you get to the last 1/2 inch, top up with milk, stir, then leave out overnight.

In the morning you have a new full tub of Yolida for just the price of the milk.

43 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

In the morning you have a new full tub of Yolida for just the price of the milk.

I have tried to reproduce it several times , but it never tastes exactly the same as Yolida. I also use Meiji milk. Yes the end result is youghurt but the taste is a bit different. Maybe I do it wrong, but I studied some Youtube videos how to do it.   

Anyway for 59 baht it's not a big deal for me as long as my local Tesco or Tops have it in stock 

Just now, balo said:

I have tried to reproduce it several times , but it never tastes exactly the same as Yolida. I also use Meiji milk. Yes the end result is youghurt but the taste is a bit different. Maybe I do it wrong, but I studied some Youtube videos how to do it.   

Anyway for 59 baht it's not a big deal for me as long as my local Tesco or Tops stocks it. 

Yolida has added sugar, if you like that add a teaspoon when you add the milk.

I make my own yogurt with a £20 yoghurt maker from Amazon UK. It comes with 7 jars and it works very well. It takes 14 hours overnight.

I use Thai-Denmark UHT full milk as it is cheap, tastes nice and can be kept unopened without refrigeration until needed.

For my first batch I used one capsule of dried yoghurt starter that also came from Amazon. That starter contains a mixture of two different types of bacillus which I think improves the flavour. Ever since I just use the last jar from the previous batch to start the next batch. That one jar plus 1 litre of milk makes 7 new jars. That pack of starter has 10 capsules in it and so it will probably do me for years.

The only important thing that I am aware of is to clean the jars in hot water before starting. Apart from that it is a doddle, and much cheaper than buying factory yoghurt.

I like to eat mine with a spoonful of dark brown sugar and some frozen blueberries from Makro.

On 5/12/2019 at 2:50 PM, KittenKong said:

The only important thing that I am aware of is to clean the jars in hot water before starting. Apart from that it is a doddle, and much cheaper than buying factory yoghurt.

I've stopped doing that, been refilling the 'dregs' from the same jar for nearly a month now, hasn't made any difference to the yogurt at all.

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've stopped doing that, been refilling the 'dregs' from the same jar for nearly a month now, hasn't made any difference to the yogurt at all.

Does your yoghurt set well? Mine is still a little runny. Left it for 24 hours on top of the fridge. The weather wasn't too hot and it's now been in the fridge for 12 hours. Tastes good and being runny will mix well with muesli. Just wondered if I'd let it rot for long enough?

I mixed 1 small tub of natural yoghurt with 830ml bottle of Mejii milk. I also added 2 teaspoons of sugar.

14 minutes ago, grollies said:

Does your yoghurt set well? Mine is still a little runny. Left it for 24 hours on top of the fridge. The weather wasn't too hot and it's now been in the fridge for 12 hours. Tastes good and being runny will mix well with muesli. Just wondered if I'd let it rot for long enough?

I mixed 1 small tub of natural yoghurt with 830ml bottle of Mejii milk. I also added 2 teaspoons of sugar.

Dig a couple of spoons out the middle, the liquid will drain into the hole overnight and you can spoon it out next morning. Day two it's thicker than anything from the shops.

I'm not averse to the first runny portion, stir in a bit of Longan honey and it tastes fine.

I've stopped bothering with the sugar, doesn't seem to make much difference. 

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Dig a couple of spoons out the middle, the liquid will drain into the hole overnight and you can spoon it out next morning. Day two it's thicker than anything from the shops.

I'm not averse to the first runny portion, stir in a bit of Longan honey and it tastes fine.

I've stopped bothering with the sugar, doesn't seem to make much difference. 

Ok, thanks, I'll try that next time.

Archived