BANGKOK 21 May 2019 04:14
Enki

What about Yoghurt?

Yeah, I was thinking about that. Just wondering if the current temperatures are to high for it.

They were too high a week or so ago. I put mine in a cool spot in the house.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I make my own yogurt with a £20 yoghurt maker from Amazon UK. It comes with 7 jars and it works very well. It takes 14 hours overnight.

I use Thai-Denmark UHT full milk as it is cheap, tastes nice and can be kept unopened without refrigeration until needed.

For my first batch I used one capsule of dried yoghurt starter that also came from Amazon. That starter contains a mixture of two different types of bacillus which I think improves the flavour. Ever since I just use the last jar from the previous batch to start the next batch. That one jar plus 1 litre of milk makes 7 new jars. That pack of starter has 10 capsules in it and so it will probably do me for years.

The only important thing that I am aware of is to clean the jars in hot water before starting. Apart from that it is a doddle, and much cheaper than buying factory yoghurt.

I like to eat mine with a spoonful of dark brown sugar and some frozen blueberries from Makro.

Edited by KittenKong
  • Like 2

I have no air con, so using a yoghurt maker is not really an improvement. But I guess your info is helpful for the others here.

On 5/12/2019 at 2:50 PM, KittenKong said:

The only important thing that I am aware of is to clean the jars in hot water before starting. Apart from that it is a doddle, and much cheaper than buying factory yoghurt.

I've stopped doing that, been refilling the 'dregs' from the same jar for nearly a month now, hasn't made any difference to the yogurt at all.

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've stopped doing that, been refilling the 'dregs' from the same jar for nearly a month now, hasn't made any difference to the yogurt at all.

Does your yoghurt set well? Mine is still a little runny. Left it for 24 hours on top of the fridge. The weather wasn't too hot and it's now been in the fridge for 12 hours. Tastes good and being runny will mix well with muesli. Just wondered if I'd let it rot for long enough?

I mixed 1 small tub of natural yoghurt with 830ml bottle of Mejii milk. I also added 2 teaspoons of sugar.

14 minutes ago, grollies said:

Does your yoghurt set well? Mine is still a little runny. Left it for 24 hours on top of the fridge. The weather wasn't too hot and it's now been in the fridge for 12 hours. Tastes good and being runny will mix well with muesli. Just wondered if I'd let it rot for long enough?

I mixed 1 small tub of natural yoghurt with 830ml bottle of Mejii milk. I also added 2 teaspoons of sugar.

Dig a couple of spoons out the middle, the liquid will drain into the hole overnight and you can spoon it out next morning. Day two it's thicker than anything from the shops.

I'm not averse to the first runny portion, stir in a bit of Longan honey and it tastes fine.

I've stopped bothering with the sugar, doesn't seem to make much difference. 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Dig a couple of spoons out the middle, the liquid will drain into the hole overnight and you can spoon it out next morning. Day two it's thicker than anything from the shops.

I'm not averse to the first runny portion, stir in a bit of Longan honey and it tastes fine.

I've stopped bothering with the sugar, doesn't seem to make much difference. 

Ok, thanks, I'll try that next time.