Chiang Kahn? Any one know the area?

Kenny202

Recently saw some pics on a Thai friends facebook page, Chiang Kahn looks amazing? Looks like a different version of Nong Kai.

I am in Khon Kaen so it would be a nice trip up through Loei too. Anyone have any info or suggestions for things to do there and on the way?

Chiang Khan has the river, a "walking street" in the evening, and basically that's about it, been there twice, didn't find anything else.

Arrive before sunset, take a few pictures at the river with the sunset, go to walking street for some snacks and maybe a thai massage and the next day continue the tour ????

You didn't tell us which kind of transport you plan to use to go there, Loei has some nice mountains to ride with a motorbike.

Just like jackdd says

Walking street, street food, vendors, t-shirt shops, cute little wooden hotels and restaurants right on the river... not much else except for the weekly vendor's market at the football field (sorry but I can't remember which day it was).

They also have one of those large floating ship/restaurant/bars tied up on the Thai side right at the main river viewing area.  I have not yet eaten there but I plan to give it a try soon.

If you are driving to Chiang Khan from Loei city, there's not much to see or do between the two but it is a nice scenic drive with some mountains nearby.  I usually like to ride the motorbike there but lately it's been too dusty (since they are widening the highway to four lanes most of the way).

I only go there to visit the Immigration Office on occasion but Chiang Khan does have a nice vibe!

Id love to go on the bike but Mrs and kids coming so will be driving the pick up. West of Khon Kaen past Chumpae then turn North to Loei.

Can you visit Phu Kradeung without walking for miles?

I guess we'll do an overnighter at Loei and then on to Chiang Kahn. Any nice natural swimming areas on the way? Whats the road and scenery like following the Mekong on to Nong Kai?

Just checked the weather up there looks like its hotter than here now so alas no escape from the heat [emoji37][emoji37]

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

25 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

I've seen pictures of people swimming in the Huai Krathing (Huai Nam Man) reservoir, but I don't know how it would be when water is low.  It's about 15km west of Loei town.

http://www.bansansuk.com/travel/Huai Nam Man/

https://blog.myvideomedia.com/huai-krathing-reservoir-isaan/?cn-reloaded=1

Yes, this is a very popular place and even if the water level is low you can still swim, rent a bamboo boat and make a day out of it.  Usually it's only 300 baht for a small houseboat (2-6 people) for a whole day but according to my wife, now is the busy season (kids are out from school) and they charge 100 baht per hour for the boats now.

For this price they will tow you out into the lake and anchor your boat.  For an additional fee they will give you a "tour" of the lake by slowly pushing your bamboo boat around from one end to the other (the reservoir is quite large).  Very nice.

It is a very beautiful and peaceful place and I have been there many times.  You can order food and drink before heading out and they will deliver it to your boat when it is ready.  They also have a few passing vendors selling fruits and other food from boats.  

BTW, you park very close to the lake and restrooms so you do not need to walk far at all.  If the Mrs. needs to go to the restroom (when you are out on the lake) you simply phone the number on the boat and someone will come out to pick you up and then bring you back to your boat when you are done.  

I have yet to go to Phu Kradeung but Phu Rhua is nice for a cool breeze and a beautiful view.  There are some waterfalls you can hike to at Phu Rhua also but they are mostly dry right now.

7 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

not much else except for the weekly vendor's market at the football field (sorry but I can't remember which day it was).

Just asked the wife, she says there is a large daily market on walking street .... but the BIG vendor's market that we went to last time is not weekly but "seasonal" - sorry.

On the way to the reservoir, there's a place Loei Log Home Coffee.  It's owned by the German guy who owns Saloon Loei near the traffic circle in the main town (Amphur Muang), Chris Roemer.  I think it's his home. He also rents motorcycles and they conduct group rides in Loei and beyond.  Loei has a pretty active motorcycle club, Loei Gentlemen's Motorcycle Club.

https://www.facebook.com/Loei-Gentlemens-Motorcycle-Club-438022066276684/?epa=SEARCH_BOX

https://www.facebook.com/Loei-Loghome-Coffee-213410355659201/

https://www.facebook.com/SaloonLoei/?epa=SEARCH_BOX

image.png.f0c14de5872b26b9ca4ff15905f93953.png

On 4/19/2019 at 6:52 PM, Kenny202 said:

Id love to go on the bike but Mrs and kids coming so will be driving the pick up. West of Khon Kaen past Chumpae then turn North to Loei.

Can you visit Phu Kradeung without walking for miles?

I guess we'll do an overnighter at Loei and then on to Chiang Kahn. Any nice natural swimming areas on the way? Whats the road and scenery like following the Mekong on to Nong Kai?

Just checked the weather up there looks like its hotter than here now so alas no escape from the heat emoji37.pngemoji37.png

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Amazing scenery all the way, there's a temple high up that looks out over Laos, great views.

I've done this a few times on my bike, great run.

Avoid weekends if you can.

Phu Ruea is where i'd stay for a night, nice up there too. 

Archived