After 50 years Returning to Leong nok Tha!!!

Nignoy

Hi Folks, I am looking for ex members of operation crown who like myself  married ladies from the bankoksamrahn, khut kho kahn area in the mid 60,s,who have relocated backto Isaan,my wife died in the late 70,s but I have always kept in touch with my thai family in isaan, and I return every 2 years with my english wife, who feels just as much at home as me,we hope to move the end of the year to Amnat or Muk,would be grateful for any contacts, nidnoi

While I wont be much of help with info, have a look here:

They meet every second monday of the month here in Ubon near the airport. Have a chat with Larry (Thaivisa handle: retiredaamt ). He may even reply here :). Hope this gets you in the right direction.

I live in Loeng Nok Tha and am familiar with Op Crown. I've met several of the Op Crown Association members that have dropped in for festivities held annually at the Airfield. Dave Wilson and his Thai wife are the only ones that I know that have family in Khok Samran. Dave and Pi Din visit here from England every two years or so. A friend that volunteers for Op Crown Association is presently in Ubon. I don't think that you will find many others living in Khok Samran since Mukdahan and Ubon have better amenities and health care facilities available.

Thanks for that Mate,I realised everything has changed,Iwas witness to the only shots fired in anger which resulted in the death of Spr Jim Box in thenext village north Khud Ko Khan, I have family in Khud ko khan once again thanks a lot

Please forgive this intrusion into what was a Sapper affair as I was never stationed there but I did fly into Loeng Nak Tha in 1966 on my way to the American Air Base outside of Udon Thani.   After a flight from Singapore by a C130 (I think it was) I was flown by a Royal New Zealand Army Sergeant to Udon in a Bristol Freighter.  He announced that the plane was known as the the Bristol Shaker and that we would understand why it was called that once we began to move.  He was not wrong!    He also said not to worry about the number of attempts he might have to make to actually take off.  I remember at least 6 attempts.  For whatever reason I am not sure but the flight to Udon was made flying just above the tree tops.  He dramatized the reason saying it was to avoid becoming a target from ground fire!  I actually thought it was because the plane couldn't fly higher.

Anyway I hope you make some connections and can talk about the 'good' times you had.  If you are Khon Kaen way let me know and we could reminisce about Thailand in the 60's.

Archived