What’s the best way to go about getting the yellow tabien bahn book?

Hello all.

just a quick question regarding yellow tabien bahn books. What is the best way to go about obtaining one? When we moved into out house the woman at the juristic office said she cannot put me in the blue book as im not thai, she never mentioned anything about the yellow book - I had to find out about it myself online.

i have heard that it can be difficult to get and GO’s can refuse for any reason.

what is the best thing to say to them if they ask me what do I need it for?

any advice greatly appreciated 

• Like 1

As with many things in Thailand there is rarely any consistency, you will need to speak to your specific office and ask them what they require. Other people (unless in your area) may well have totally different experience and requirements.

You may have better luck asking in your local area forum for this information. State what area you are in and this can be moved there for you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

It saves them work.

The yellow tabian baan is really one part of Thailand where it comes down to office by office. 

Some are no problem. Some say impossible. Some make it easy. Some make it difficult. 

You will need to go to your local Amphur and ask them. Or better to go down with the documents you think you will need and apply for it. See what they say. Then you will know. 

Finally, after 1 month, my area office of Phaya Thai has received back from Immigration my record of entries and stays. I have an appointment on 30th April to make the yellow book (and pink ID card). It seems that every office has different rules - or interpretation of any rules. I'm NOT holding my breath... Will update TV on outcome. I have owned my condo since 2010 and have land register in my name. I also have Non-O based on retirement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If your amphur won't give you one, tell them you need one for naturalization purposes and you'll report them to the special branch police.

I'd your that bothered about getting one , they really are not much use for most people, you can go to another amphur. They are useless if you have a work permit. I live in Isarn and I have a yellow book in Bkk.

• Like 1

The Baalat (Deputy Sheriff) was initially reluctant to issue me the Yellow Book ???? so I got the Pooyai Ban to vouch for my good character. 

You might not *need * the Yellow Book for day to day activities but it's useful to have like the Pink Card. 

• Like 1

As others have said it varies from office to office. When I got mine a couple of years ago the process was a new one for our local Amphur. the biggest difficulty I had with them was getting our UK marriage formalised here, we eventualy went to get that done in Bangkok. From then on it was all pretty easy, we had to take the Pooyai and a teacher as witnesses and Mrs BM's blue book and id card, my passport and that was it IIRC. 

Once we got the yellow book they issued me with a pink ID card without further ado.

Edited by Blue Muton
Typo

2 hours ago, jcowle said:

What are the benefits of having a yellow book?

I live in Pattaya, has anyone had any experience of obtaining one here?

Thanks

John

Took me 30 minutes to get Yellow Book in Pattaya.

I stand as House Master in my Yellow Book, so I can report myself to Immigration.

Took me 15 minutes to get Pink ID card.
I was one of the first 10 Faranger to get ID card in Pattaya.
For example, you pay the same price as Thai when you visit the National Park.

All hotels (Hilton, Mariot, Dusit, Sheraton, Shangri-La) accept Pink ID cards, though they should not accept these instead of passports.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hans Rayong said:

Was this the office on Pattaya Nua and if so how long ago?

I inquired about 8 years ago but they were not very enthusiastic.........

22 minutes ago, Hans Rayong said:

I stand as House Master in my Yellow Book, so I can report myself to Immigration.

All hotels (Hilton, Mariot, Dusit, Sheraton, Shangri-La) accept Pink ID cards, though they should not accept these instead of passports.

How long ago was that ? I got yellow book a year ago and it was not a 30 min exercise. Some MFA translated documents, a witness, 2 visits. 

• Like 1

If your amphur won't give you one, tell them you need one for naturalization purposes and you'll report them to the special branch police.
I'd your that bothered about getting one , they really are not much use for most people, you can go to another amphur. They are useless if you have a work permit. I live in Isarn and I have a yellow book in Bkk.

If you have a work permit and are covered under social security, you jeed a pink ID card in order to be registered at your nominated hospital as SS no longer uses cards but rather a paperless system with everything linked to ID number.

And to get the ID card you must have a yellow tabian ban.

Supposedly thete is some way to work around this but no one except SS head office seems to know that and I wouldn't advice risking it as when you go to the hospital they are going to look for you in their computer to verify your coverage and without an ID number may not be able to find you.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hans Rayong said:

I tried the same procedure at the Pattaya City Hall a few months ago, back in December 2018, they clearly gave me the middle finger.

I produced the following documents:

- A French passport with a valid 2 months Tourist visa,

- The copy of my Chanut as I own a house in Pattaya (not the original Chanut, it was lost),

- The DBD certificate that shows I run a small Co. Ltd in Thailand and the company is in good standings,

- The blue Tabian Baan for my house where my ex-wife shows as "House Master", my Thai-French daughter is on the Tabiaan Baan as well and I, as her father is appearing in the list of house residents as well.

- The original of my ex-wife passport,

- An original (non translated) French birth certificate,

- An updated SCB book bank with 100k baht in it (at the time).

Regardless she gave me the middle finger and insisted that they would NOT issue either Yellow Tabiaan Baan or the Thai pink ID card unless:

- The ex-wife came in person to support my application (not doable, we broke up),

- I had the ex-wife ID card, her passport was rejected (not doable either, as I said above, we're done),

- My birth certificate translated to Thai and also certified/approved by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok (implying I gotta pay for a translation first, then take an appointment to the MFA in BKK and drive there and come back to Pattaya with said certified/stamped document).

- A VISA that is valid for at least ONE year, the only good part is that they don't care what kind of visa it is, can be Non-O, can be ED as well, it just has to be a ONE year visa, no can do with a Tourist visa.

She then handed us a list of required documents on a piece of paper, in Thai only, not even english translated then she turned her back on us without even a smile or a wai and walked away from us.

That is what I call the "middle finger attitude".

Edit: What really confuses me tho is that people are talking about getting it done at the Amphur, while the incident I am recalling here took place at the City Hall, not the Amphur. Even more confusing.

Edited by Guest

11 minutes ago, tcp7 said:

Edit: What really confuses me tho is that people are talking about getting it done at the Amphur, while the incident I am recalling here took place at the City Hall, not the Amphur. Even more confusing.

Elsewhere in Thailand it is done at the ampher, Pattaya has a different local government structure (its a city like Bangkok) and city hall does most things instead of amphers.

See my post above for the list of requirements, that may explain why you were not successful, as they do require MFA translations (marriage docs will do) and witness etc.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Elsewhere in Thailand it is done at the ampher, Pattaya has a different local government structure (its a city like Bangkok) and city hall does most things instead of amphers.

See my post above for the list of requirements, that may explain why you were not successful, as they do require MFA translations (marriage docs will do) and witness etc.

Gotcha, that makes sense why it all took place at the City Hall instead of the Amphur.

As for the requirements, the MFA translations wouldn't be that bad to cope with, in my case what bothers/triggers me is that the ex-wife MUST be present as she's declared as "House Master" in my Tabiaan Baan and she's the Thai (duh) mother (duh) of our daughter even though we broke up years ago as she will be of no assistance whatsoever.

Anyways, what really bothered me the most was the middle finger attitude they gave us at the City Hall, totally unhelpful even though I've been living here on and off since 2010 and "invested" (a fancy word for the word "sunk" or "lost") 16M baht in 8 years or so in this f-word-ing country.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Maybe some Amphurs require all that paperwork but not all do.

Wife and i went to our local Amphur, requirements my passport, wifes id card, name of my father/mother, job done in 20 minutes., no witnesses, no translations nothing.

• Like 1

Just now, colinneil said:

Wife and i went to our local Amphur, requirements my passport, wifes id card, name of my father/mother, job done in 20 minutes., no witnesses, no translations nothing.

I envy you. May I kindly ask where was this?

6 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Thats right, like immigration offices, they are all different. Most will want some sort of official translation of your name because the yellow book/ID name is your name in Thai, needs to match land office or marriage documents etc. Your local ampher probably took your name from marriage docs as thats an MFA translation, including parents names etc..

Edited by Peterw42

If anyone knows an Amphur that is "brown enveloppe" friendly, feel free to send me a private message here with details and such.