BANGKOK 19 May 2019 16:34
Despondent Foreigner

What’s the best way to go about getting the yellow tabien bahn book?

Hello all.

just a quick question regarding yellow tabien bahn books. What is the best way to go about obtaining one? When we moved into out house the woman at the juristic office said she cannot put me in the blue book as im not thai, she never mentioned anything about the yellow book - I had to find out about it myself online.

i have heard that it can be difficult to get and GO’s can refuse for any reason.

what is the best thing to say to them if they ask me what do I need it for?

any advice greatly appreciated 

• Like 1

You must go to the Amphoe in your area and talk to whoever is in charge.It could be as easy as providing a few photocopies of passports, visas,chanote, and a single witness, or actually impossible, based on your circumstances.

• Like 1

As with many things in Thailand there is rarely any consistency, you will need to speak to your specific office and ask them what they require. Other people (unless in your area) may well have totally different experience and requirements.

You may have better luck asking in your local area forum for this information. State what area you are in and this can be moved there for you.

• Like 1

So how do Amphurs benefit by not issuing the Yellow Tabien Baan to aliens?

10 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

So how do Amphurs benefit by not issuing the Yellow Tabien Baan to aliens?

They don’t expect for less work. They probably don’t see them as necessary.

4 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

It saves them work.

The yellow tabian baan is really one part of Thailand where it comes down to office by office. 

Some are no problem. Some say impossible. Some make it easy. Some make it difficult. 

You will need to go to your local Amphur and ask them. Or better to go down with the documents you think you will need and apply for it. See what they say. Then you will know. 

Finally, after 1 month, my area office of Phaya Thai has received back from Immigration my record of entries and stays. I have an appointment on 30th April to make the yellow book (and pink ID card). It seems that every office has different rules - or interpretation of any rules. I'm NOT holding my breath... Will update TV on outcome. I have owned my condo since 2010 and have land register in my name. I also have Non-O based on retirement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If your amphur won't give you one, tell them you need one for naturalization purposes and you'll report them to the special branch police.

I'd your that bothered about getting one , they really are not much use for most people, you can go to another amphur. They are useless if you have a work permit. I live in Isarn and I have a yellow book in Bkk.

• Like 1

The Baalat (Deputy Sheriff) was initially reluctant to issue me the Yellow Book 📙 so I got the Pooyai Ban to vouch for my good character. 

You might not *need * the Yellow Book for day to day activities but it's useful to have like the Pink Card. 

• Like 1

What are the benefits of having a yellow book?

I live in Pattaya, has anyone had any experience of obtaining one here?

Thanks

John

Posted (edited)

As others have said it varies from office to office. When I got mine a couple of years ago the process was a new one for our local Amphur. the biggest difficulty I had with them was getting our UK marriage formalised here, we eventualy went to get that done in Bangkok. From then on it was all pretty easy, we had to take the Pooyai and a teacher as witnesses and Mrs BM's blue book and id card, my passport and that was it IIRC. 

Once we got the yellow book they issued me with a pink ID card without further ado.

Edited by Blue Muton
Typo

2 hours ago, jcowle said:

What are the benefits of having a yellow book?

I live in Pattaya, has anyone had any experience of obtaining one here?

Thanks

John

Took me 30 minutes to get Yellow Book in Pattaya.

I stand as House Master in my Yellow Book, so I can report myself to Immigration.

Took me 15 minutes to get Pink ID card.
I was one of the first 10 Faranger to get ID card in Pattaya.
For example, you pay the same price as Thai when you visit the National Park.

All hotels (Hilton, Mariot, Dusit, Sheraton, Shangri-La) accept Pink ID cards, though they should not accept these instead of passports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1