What’s the best way to go about getting the yellow tabien bahn book?

REAL story

Take your Thai female neighbor and register in her fathers house. Daddy signs....2 weeks later you got your yellow book, which happened to a guy who owed me then changed all the paperwork on his Thai girlfriend, true story 12 years ago.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, onera1961 said:

But a Driver's license also does the same thing, right? So it is better to get a Driver's license than persuing yellow book and pink id? Transferring motor vehicle is easy for 700 baht. No need for residency certificate.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I think you will find most DLTs want a Resident certificate or a yellow book for getting a license or transferring a vehicle etc. Most wont accept just your license to transfer a vehicle (even though they issued it based upon a res cert).

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 3:16 AM, soi3eddie said:

Finally, after 1 month, my area office of Phaya Thai has received back from Immigration my record of entries and stays. I have an appointment on 30th April to make the yellow book (and pink ID card). It seems that every office has different rules - or interpretation of any rules. I'm NOT holding my breath... Will update TV on outcome. I have owned my condo since 2010 and have land register in my name. I also have Non-O based on retirement.

You mention that you have land registered in your name...how is that possible without Thai citizenship?

• Like 1

Got my yellow book and pink id card early this year at pattaya city hall, not too difficult if you all the appropriate docs. 

1. Get certified copy of pport from yr embassy, go MFA 2nd flr, have certified copy pport translated, about 20 minutes, go 3rd flr hand in yr docs, I asked them to send me MFA certified docs, received 2 days later. 

2. Then go pattaya city hall with MFA certified docs, pport, blue house book, copy chanote and 2 Thai witnesses, lady does interview with you, you and yr witness sign heap of paperwork, 2 weeks later go collect book and ID card

6 minutes ago, Oztruckie said:

Got my yellow book and pink id card early this year at pattaya city hall, not too difficult if you all the appropriate docs. 

1. Get certified copy of pport from yr embassy, go MFA 2nd flr, have certified copy pport translated, about 20 minutes, go 3rd flr hand in yr docs, I asked them to send me MFA certified docs, received 2 days later. 

2. Then go pattaya city hall with MFA certified docs, pport, blue house book, copy chanote and 2 Thai witnesses, lady does interview with you, you and yr witness sign heap of paperwork, 2 weeks later go collect book and ID card

I didn't answer any questions, only took my passport, a witness and my wife (she had some documents but I'm not sure what), whole thing took 20 minutes and had my yellow book a week later. All at Nongprue tessabahn.

Pink card obtained at Naklua ampur. Even less hassle.

Edited by Spidey
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Oztruckie said:

Yes, thats pretty much how it went for me a couple of years ago, so it hasn't changed.

I was able to skip the passport translation and MFA steps because I am married and they accepted the marriage docs in lieu, as marriage docs have MFA translation of relevant details.

Edited by Peterw42

9 hours ago, onera1961 said:

But a Driver's license also does the same thing, right? So it is better to get a Driver's license than persuing yellow book and pink id? Transferring motor vehicle is easy for 700 baht. No need for residency certificate.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Both Pak Chong and Nakhon Ratchasima Land Transport Offices require a confirmation of address to transfer vehicle ownership. Kasikorn Bank also required one when I opened my account a ferw years ago.  Another thing to note about confirmation of address letters is that they are only for the specific purpose you asked for and have a time limit - usually 3 months but sometimes 1.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, macahoom said:

"and you get an Thai ID-number, which is also TIN"

Can you elaborate on that, please?

Same number, just go to the local Branch Excise Office with you Thai ID-number and beg to pay some tax...????

Edited by khunPer
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, tcp7 said:

Not really.

Let's assume, you came to Thailand in your early 20's to mid 30's, you got engaged but never got married because afterall, mariage is either against your personal beliefs or simply not your thing all that while having a child with your missus.

At the time you transfered a serious amount of assets here and even acquired a property (either condo or a house), then a few years later down the lane while you're still wanting to live in Thailand, which makes sense since you:

- 1) spent a couple of years here, read: anything between 5 to 10 years.

- 2) had a child with a Thai citizen and you're wanting to take care of your kid.

- 3) have a property at your name/company name in Thailand.

- 4) have invested a lot financially and emtionally in everything you have built here.

I was told quite clearly that I needed an O visa, retirement visa or a b visa with work permit.  At the time I held an O visa but still couldn't get the yellow book as the 'housemaster' wasn't available.  I have since divorced and have been told that I will not be issued with a yellow book whilst I'm on a tourist visa.

Also, in the scenario you write above, if you have a Thai child I believe you can obtain an O visa on that basis.

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

I didn't answer any questions, only took my passport, a witness and my wife (she had some documents but I'm not sure what), whole thing took 20 minutes and had my yellow book a week later. All at Nongprue tessabahn.

Pink card obtained at Naklua ampur. Even less hassle.

I got my yellow book in lopburi immediately for no fee. Again in khon Kaen immediately, and also on Bangkok.

Both Pak Chong and Nakhon Ratchasima Land Transport Offices require a confirmation of address to transfer vehicle ownership. Kasikorn Bank also required one when I opened my account a ferw years ago.  Another thing to note about confirmation of address letters is that they are only for the specific purpose you asked for and have a time limit - usually 3 months but sometimes 1.
A vehicle agent can arrange everything for 700 baht if you're properly registered with immigration with TM30.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, tcp7 said:

Not really.

Let's assume, you came to Thailand in your early 20's to mid 30's, you got engaged but never got married because afterall, mariage is either against your personal beliefs or simply not your thing all that while having a child with your missus.

At the time you transfered a serious amount of assets here and even acquired a property (either condo or a house), then a few years later down the lane while you're still wanting to live in Thailand, which makes sense since you:

- 1) spent a couple of years here, read: anything between 5 to 10 years.

- 2) had a child with a Thai citizen and you're wanting to take care of your kid.

- 3) have a property at your name/company name in Thailand.

- 4) have invested a lot financially and emtionally in everything you have built here.

However, in the mean time, things went south, you broke up with the first girlfriend, you are now separated from her, you never were married to her to begin with, you still can't legally own a property because you're not Thai and age wise you're either in your early 40's or your mid 40's, either way you're still far too young to even apply for a Retirement visa.

Then what are your options?

Tourists visas of 60 days that you extend for 30 days every time at your local immigration office and subsequent visa runs or the educational visa route which in the end isn't even really any better as you can't apply for a residence permit or the Thai citizenship further down the lane unless you have acquired at least 3 subsequent years of non-immigration O visas.

Really. I'm not trying to gamble the system here or beat the odds or anything, the law is the law and it does apply to everyone, including myself but there are some rare situations and legitimate cases where I feel like "it would make sense" as to why a foreigner on tourists visas who can prove he has "strong ties to the country" would want to apply for either a Yellow Tabian Baan book and the pink ID card while you're at it while holding subsequents Tourists visas.

In my case, showing up at a City Hall or Amphur with a Thai birth certificate for my daughter with my name appearing CLEARLY in all Thai letters, an updated SCB book bank at my name, a Chanut at my Co. Ltd name and the DBD company registration documents, the tax receipts of me paying taxes every year since 2010 all the way to 2019, along with her mother's valid Thai passport, my old passport filled to the brim with 6 differents Thai visas ED, Non-O and TR going all the way back to 2010 and my new passport valid from 2018 to 2028 with already 4 different TR visas on it, should *in my eyes* be enough to prove I have strong ties to the country and have essentially been a part of the Thai society and contributing to it for a decade.

In regards to the law and strictly the law I may be seen or appreciated as a "Tourist visa holder only" as we speak but I don't think you see every tourists in the country walking around strolling down Walking Street or Soi Bukhao carrying all these documents on himself at all times, do we?

Don't judge every book by it's cover.

I arrived in Thailand when I was 30 and built a life, but I didn't create any dependancies until my immigration status was stable.

Anyone that invests money and emotion in a country without having any long term right to stay in that country is naive, selfish, irresponsible and only has themselves to blame if it all goes wrong. Anyone that cannot get a long term renewable permit to stay should not be setting down roots! And even then, in a country like Thailand, you should expect things to change.

The person you describe has a Thai child so should not have a problem getting permission to stay or visit frequently indefinitely. And presumably they are working to fund their life so should be able to get a work permit visa their business or employment, unless they are working illegally.

9 hours ago, macahoom said:

Yes, I know that TIN = Tax Identification Number. But I'm surprised that being granted a yellow book automatically means you have a TIN, without having to apply for one.

Is this definitely the case?

I can't give you a definitive answer as I only have a TIN and not a PIN. This might help; http://www.rd.go.th/publish/21987.0.html

It seems that you can use your PIN (from the yellow book/Pink ID card) to file a tax return, or if you don't have a PIN you need to apply for a TIN.

• Thanks 1

I think you will find most DLTs want a Resident certificate or a yellow book for getting a license or transferring a vehicle etc. Most wont accept just your license to transfer a vehicle (even though they issued it based upon a res cert).
License is 5000 baht. Nothing is required. Yes every thing is required but you don't have to arrange anything by yourself. I don't go to DLTs or Immigration office to ask what they need. I go to agents and they tell me don't need anything. But they prefer if I am properly registered with Immigration like with a TM30.

1 hour ago, onera1961 said:

A vehicle agent can arrange everything for 700 baht if you're properly registered with immigration with TM30.

I take it you're in Bangkok or Pattaya?  Things can different in other areas and in any case, we don't even have visa agents in Pak Chong, let alone a vehicle agent.

50 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

License is 5000 baht. Nothing is required.

Again, I think you're believing that things apply evenly across geographical areas.  I had to provide a long term visa, a confirmation of address letter and a medical certificate when applying for my driving licence. I've heard though, that in Pattaya a licence can be obtained on a tourist visa.

There are no agents in Pak Chong for example, who can assist with obtaining a driving licence and I'd guess this applies to many other areas.

Overall, I would never disuade anyone from obtaining a yellow Tabien Bahn, they can be very usefull in many ways.

Edited by KhaoYai

Again, I think you're believing that things apply evenly across geographical areas.  I had to provide a long term visa, a confirmation of address letter and a medical certificate when applying for my driving licence. I've heard though, that in Pattaya a licence can be obtained on a tourist visa.

There are no agents in Pak Chong for example, who can assist with obtaining a driving licence and I'd guess this applies to many other areas.

Overall, I would never disuade anyone from obtaining a yellow Tabien Bahn, they can be very usefull in many ways.
I am sure it is available in Pak Chong. I think you did not look around and not ready to pay 5000 extra. Again my question is, if I get a license which is very easy for me to get for 5000, is the yellow book has any usefulness?

14 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Again my question is, if I get a license which is very easy for me to get for 5000, is the yellow book has any usefulness?

Potentially, yes. A driving licence cannot be used as proof of address, while a yellow book usually can (although apparently not in all cases and in all areas, based on reports on here). 

21 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I was told quite clearly that I needed an O visa, retirement visa or a b visa with work permit.  At the time I held an O visa but still couldn't get the yellow book as the 'housemaster' wasn't available.  I have since divorced and have been told that I will not be issued with a yellow book whilst I'm on a tourist visa.

Also, in the scenario you write above, if you have a Thai child I believe you can obtain an O visa on that basis.

I was told it can be obtained with any visas that are for ONE year regardless of it's type, either Non-Immigration or Education are accepted, what matters is the duration/validity, not the visa type.

In fact, if Tourists Visas for one year existed, I'm sure it would be accepted, what matters is the length of the visa, not the type.

And sadly no, I can't obtain an O visa as the father of a Thai child because:

- I cannot go to the immigration office with the mother of the child, we broke up and are in very bad terms.

- I don't have the mother's ID card, let alone your signature on a copy of her ID. (I tried with her passport that I have in my possesion, they gave me a no-go).

- I don't have the Thai child custody, I must go through court to obtain 50% of the child's custody.

- I don't have 400.000 in a Thai bank.

Hence why I'm here on TR visas and visa runs and extensions and visa exemptions, etc... I'm playing the clock until I'm 50 years old, 7 years to go...

20 hours ago, elviajero said:

Anyone that invests money and emotion in a country without having any long term right to stay in that country is naive, selfish, irresponsible and only has themselves to blame if it all goes wrong. Anyone that cannot get a long term renewable permit to stay should not be setting down roots! And even then, in a country like Thailand, you should expect things to change.

The person you describe has a Thai child so should not have a problem getting permission to stay or visit frequently indefinitely. And presumably they are working to fund their life so should be able to get a work permit visa their business or employment, unless they are working illegally.

What a nice friendly guy you are, truly.

Edited by Guest

16 hours ago, onera1961 said:

I am sure it is available in Pak Chong. I think you did not look around and not ready to pay 5000 extra. Again my question is, if I get a license which is very easy for me to get for 5000, is the yellow book has any usefulness?

As you should know, the requirements for obtaining anything in Thailand vary depending on which office you apply to - and can even vary according to which officer/staff member handles your case - a driving licence is not always accepted as proof of address.  I had a driving licence before I had a bank account but was still required to obtain proof of address to open that account.

As for agents in Pak Chong, I've lived there 5 years (part time), I know people that have lived there much longer, we know of no agents that can assist with anything.  Fortunately, probably because there are quite a lot of Westerners and Australians living in the area, most things, including yellow Tabien Baan's are available reasonably easily but you will need a confirmation of address to get one. Why would I want to pay 5000 in any case?

Given that the confirmation of address requires a visit to Korat Immigration - a 2 hour round trip and costs 500 each time then yes, I think a yellow Tabien Baan is a very useful thing to have.

Edited by KhaoYai

37 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I think a yellow Tabien Baan is a very useful thing to have.

100% Agree. You nailed it.

It might not be the Tabian Baan itself that is helpful or useful to have but whenever dealing with Thai officials such as police agents, immigration officers, hospital staff, City Halls clerks and so on, shoving a Tabian Baan, Thai pink ID card, driver license or a residence permit along your passport sends their way a clear message: "This farang knows the game, he's no tourist, he's a regular, no scambaiting".

It helps keeping the Thais in their place.

Right now all I've got is the regular blue Tabian Baan in my possession, it usually has good effects of immigration officers and hospital staffers (re; the other threads about farangs leaving the country without checking out their bills).

Edited by Guest

As you should know, the requirements for obtaining anything in Thailand vary depending on which office you apply to - and can even vary according to which officer/staff member handles your case - a driving licence is not always accepted as proof of address.  I had a driving licence before I had a bank account but was still required to obtain proof of address to open that account.

As for agents in Pak Chong, I've lived there 5 years (part time), I know people that have lived there much longer, we know of no agents that can assist with anything.  Fortunately, probably because there are quite a lot of Westerners and Australians living in the area, most things, including yellow Tabien Baan's are available reasonably easily but you will need a confirmation of address to get one. Why would I want to pay 5000 in any case?

Given that the confirmation of address requires a visit to Korat Immigration - a 2 hour round trip and costs 500 each time then yes, I think a yellow Tabien Baan is a very useful thing to have.
Ok. Got it. So Driver's license is no panacea for address proof. If I get a yellow tabian ban, does the owner have to report TM30 Everytime I come back from Thailand. Right now my agent does. I sent her pic of my arrival card and arrival stamp and she does it and sends me the receipts. I can bother my GF for a yellow tabian ban but don't want to bother her for TM30 Everytime I come back.

Potentially, yes. A driving licence cannot be used as proof of address, while a yellow book usually can (although apparently not in all cases and in all areas, based on reports on here). 
My problem is I don't live where I can get a yellow book. I live in a rented condo and the agent keeps up to date info about TM30. Based in that I can get a Driver's license easily with a bit of money. Getting a yellow book in my GF 's house address in Pattaya or her condo address in Bangkok will be 1. Lying because I don't live in those addresses 2. Also will it require my GF to file TM 3O everytime I come from oversees?

57 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Ok. Got it. So Driver's license is no panacea for address proof. If I get a yellow tabian ban, does the owner have to report TM30 Everytime I come back from Thailand. Right now my agent does. I sent her pic of my arrival card and arrival stamp and she does it and sends me the receipts. I can bother my GF for a yellow tabian ban but don't want to bother her for TM30 Everytime I come back.

A yellow tabian baan does not negate any of the address reporting requirements. So if a TM.30 is required it will be required even if you're registered at the address. 

A yellow tabian baan does not negate any of the address reporting requirements. So if a TM.30 is required it will be required even if you're registered at the address. 
But won't that be wrong? TM 30 is where I live. I may not live where I am registered in yellow tabian ban

1 minute ago, onera1961 said:

But won't that be wrong? TM 30 is where I live. I may not live where I am registered in yellow tabian ban

Immigration will not be interested in your Tabian Baan unless you’re using it as proof of address.

If the address you give to immigration doesn’t match that in your TB it’s pointless showing it to them.

The address in your TB is supposed to be where you live too. It’s pretty much the whole point in having one.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Agent for a TM30?  Do it online - I do.

Whether you have a Tabien Baan or not, you still have to report your address.

Your address history seems a little complicated so maybe a yellow Tabien Baan isn't for you? However, if you want to register a motor vehicle, open a bank account and many other things and don't have a problem using the same address for all those things, a Tabien Baan could be very useful.

Edited by KhaoYai

Agent for a TM30?  Do it online - I do.

Whether you have a Tabien Baan or not, you still have to report your address.
Why I will work when my agent can do that effortlessly. I don't know what issue I will encounter when doing it myself. Now only I have to send my agent two pics a d she takes care everything and puts the receipt in my mailbox