What’s the best way to go about getting the yellow tabien bahn book?

11 minutes ago, grahambkk said:

Hi, I am British, have owned my condo 15 years in Bangkok and have a Work Permit. I am now starting the process of getting a Yellow Book and then Pink Card. The first hurdle is that my local District Office want me to attend the British Embassy and get the Embassy to validate my British Passport. I can see no way to contact the Embassy to make an appointment for this. Has anyone else tried to do this with the British Embassy? Any advice on how to move forward would be much appreciated thanks.

You can to it in person by making an appointment or by post.

See: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand#certified-copies-of-british-passports

Thank you for this link. I now have an appointment next week at the British Embassy. The Thailand MOFA to follow it seems, for a Thai translation...

Yes that is correct, I did exactly that then my Amphur started adding on “ extras “ , birth certificate, decree nisi !!

Hopefully you won’t have any more docs to certify and translate , good luck .

Hi again, I read on the British Embassy website that " AFTER YOUR APPOINTMENT4.You may need to get your certified copytranslated into ThaiThe authority that has requested the certified copywill inform you if your affirmation needs to be translatedin to Thai. Go to any translation agency. There are translation services available at the Legalisation Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (see next step 5) "

The next step is just the address of the MOFA at Chaaeng Wattana. I am happy to go there myself since I am free in the next few weeks and will get my lawyer to do the translation beforehand. He wants 4K to go to MOFA... Would you recommend I pay him to go to MOFA or do that part myself? I'm used to standing in queues at the Imiigration Department:)

Edited by grahambkk

Hi again, I read on the British Embassy website that " AFTER YOUR APPOINTMENT4.You may need to get your certified copytranslated into ThaiThe authority that has requested the certified copywill inform you if your affirmation needs to be translatedin to Thai. Go to any translation agency. There are translation services available at the Legalisation Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (see next step 5) "

The next step is just the address of the MOFA at Chaaeng Wattana. I am happy to go there myself since I am free in the next few weeks and will get my lawyer to do the translation beforehand. He wants 4K to go to MOFA... Would you recommend I pay him to go to MOFA or do that part myself? I'm used to standing in queues at the Imiigration Department:)

I did it myself, they can post it on to you by EMS.

But then again I live north of Bangkok ( Ayutthaya ) so after the Embassy I called in at MFA, it was on my way home.

Thanks Andrew. I will have a go myself despite my lawyer suggesting it could take up to 3 visits to get the translation agreed! He would like me to pay 4K for him to handle that part...

Not sure of why 3 visits ?? But it’s almost 2 years when I did mine. 

Was really easy, Embassy appointment which was quick and easy and then off to MFA, left the documents there with a lady at the counter, paid the money and they posted them on.

I don’t remember exactly what copies they requested but we did them at the MFA so probably passport copies etc etc .

EDIT: just had a quick look and the copies were 2 passport copies, boarding card and my gf’s blue book ( not sure if that was required at MFA maybe just in with the other stuff ), recommend you take all the documents with you that you might need.

I just remembered that while we were there my gf called the Amphur with a question and they then said “ oh and we need a certified copy and translation of your birth certificate also “. [emoji35]

Luckily I had an original birth certificate with me and the Amphur said that just a translation would do !! So got one done along with the passport.

I believe the birth certificate is because they want your parents names translated, but not 100% sure .

Looks like it was 1,150 baht at Embassy and 450 baht at MFA .

• 7 months later...

Well, after reading all these comments I realized that I must have been very lucky.
My wife and I went to the local Amphur (Din Daeng) this morning for something unrelated to the yellow Tabian Baan, but as we were there I wanted to check what would be the requirements for this document.
I took a queue, was the 1st one as it was early morning, I was expecting to get a list of documents to bring back later but was actually very surprised when she asked for only:
- My passport
- My parents name (in Thai and English)
- Wedding license
- Wife's Tabian Baan (where we currently live)
- Wife's ID card
- 2 pictures

We had all these docs with us already as it's usual things we bring when we go to this kind of place.
I didn't have any copy of anything but the staff was very nice and started the process, no need for witness, no need for certified copy of anything (I guess the wedding license is enough).

She did the copy of the documents when needed and I just signed them, it took a while (about an hour) as she had to fill out the same informations in 2 or 3 different forms and also on the computer.
At this point I was expecting to be asked to come back later to pick my book, but she actually went to see her boss in the room behind and came back with the yellow book.
She then said that I can take a queue to get a pink ID card with this book, this took about 45 minutes as it was getting crowded, but I got out with my new pink ID card and yellow Tabian baan around 10:30.

Total cost: 60 thb for the ID card
Total time spent: About 2h30

So my understanding is that it really depends on the staff and Amphur, but I was pleasantly impressed by the service we received, everyone was very nice and polite.

• Like 1