Bank documentation for income/cash method

In considering the best method to use after some information from another thread it occurs to me that the income method might be the best option for reducing my contact time with Immigration.

I receive more than 65 per month in Social Security and VA Disability so what kind of documentation would the bank need to provide for me to give to Immigration as I don't update my bank book each month. 

Most months are printed out but there may be a couple missing out of the last 12. 

Edited by marcusarelus

19 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can request a bank statement going back a year at most banks. 

Does Immigration want to see a bank statement or will the bank book with the deposits be OK.  Mine has all the deposits starting the month after my last extension I get 2 per month and for some reason it didn't print one in the first month last year so I have 23 out of 24 deposits printed in my bank book and the totals are correct each month and are printed FTT. 

9 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Does Immigration want to see a bank statement or will the bank book with the deposits be OK.

I am not sure what immigration will want. There is not enough info yet and I am sure it will vary from office to office.

I suspect they may prefer the statement if it defines that the transfer came from abroad better than the code in the bank book.

• Like 2

Not a lot of detailed experiences so far, and with some variability based on the office.

As it stands now, based on my read of a few relevant threads, two separate documents may be required from the bank:

1.) An official statement for the period of at least 1 Jan 2019 through the current month (of application) showing that month's qualifying transfer. So as of today, that would include April's qualifying transfer. Still not sure on the acceptable "age" of this document, be it a few days, or weeks, or if "same-day" is required. Not all branches can provide a 12-month statement, with 6-months seeming like the maximum from a branch, and a 12-month statement might require "a few days" for a request to the Main or HQ bank location. One member did post a photo of this type of letter, it was entirely in Thai, but seemed to show six qualifying transfers. The same member also posted a partial photo of what looked like a detailed bank statement. Another member posted an official "check-list", not sure which office, which mentioned "...Certificate letter from the bank, and bank statement showing the evidence of transferred money from other countries...", which seems more definitive about two separate documents.

2.) An official letter from the bank which certifies your ownership of the account, dated on the day of application, also showing some same-day activity (deposit or withdrawal).

I also plan to have copies of the passbook on hand which show all of the qualifying transfers. I also get a Credit Advice/Receipt each month from my Bangkok Bank branch which details the qualifying foreign transfer, so I'll make copies of those.  

I have not read all the threads on this subject, and my current "view" is based solely on Bangkok Bank and Chaeng Watthana-related threads/posts.

The "Leniency Order" mentioned "...the bank deposit and bank statement from Thai bank showing monthly transfer...", which may or may not seem like a reference to two separate documents? (I think it refers to one document, #1 above in my list. While the same-day ownership letter is a spin-off of the 800K requirement, applied to the income method by Immigration as a secondary-check?)

I think there will be more details going forward.

Edited by mtls2005

16 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Not a lot of detailed experiences so far, and with some variability based on the office.

As it stands now, based on my read of a few relevant threads, two separate documents may be required from the bank:

1.) An official statement for the period of at least 1 Jan 2019 through the current month (of application) showing that month's qualifying transfer. So as of today, that would include April's qualifying transfer. Still not sure on the acceptable "age" of this document, be it a few days, or weeks, or if "same-day" is required. Not all branches can provide a 12-month statement, with 6-months seeming like the maximum from a branch, and a 12-month statement might require "a few days" for a request to the Main or HQ bank location. One member did post a photo of this type of letter, it was entirely in Thai, but seemed to show six qualifying transfers. The same member also posted a partial photo of what looked like a detailed bank statement. Another member posted an official "check-list", not sure which office, which mentioned "...Certificate letter from the bank, and bank statement showing the evidence of transferred money from other countries...", which seems more definitive about two separate documents.

2.) An official letter from the bank which certifies your ownership of the account, dated on the day of application, also showing some same-day activity (deposit or withdrawal).

I also plan to have copies of the passbook on hand which show all of the qualifying transfers. I also get a Credit Advice/Receipt each month from my Bangkok Bank branch which details the qualifying foreign transfer, so I'll make copies of those.  

I have not read all the threads on this subject, and my current "view" is based solely on Bangkok Bank and Chaeng Watthana-related threads/posts.

The "Leniency Order" mentioned "...the bank deposit and bank statement from Thai bank showing monthly transfer...", which may or may not seem like a reference to two separate documents? (I think it refers to one document, #1 above in my list. While the same-day ownership letter is a spin-off of the 800K requirement, applied to the income method by Immigration as a secondary-check?)

I think there will be more details going forward.

What is, " 2.) An official letter from the bank which certifies your ownership of the account, dated on the day of application, also showing some same-day activity (deposit or withdrawal). "

Never seen one.  What is in it and what does it look like?  I have the bank book and assume I can get a statement what would the letter say that is not already obvious?

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Never seen one.  What is in it and what does it look like?  I have the bank book and assume I can get a statement what would the letter say that is not already obvious?

It would be the same letter done by the bank when using the 800k baht in the bank option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If required you should also provide proof of the foreign source of your income (eg: to show it originates from abroad and is not money sent round and round each month). A Pension letter, Investment Certificate/interest for example. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sumrit said:

If required you should also provide proof of the foreign source of your income (eg: to show it originates from abroad and is not money sent round and round each month). A Pension letter, Investment Certificate/interest for example. 

I don't recall seeing this listed in any of the relevant police orders and starts to veer into the "income affidavit" territory. Nor do I recall any posts mentioning this requirement, or acceptable documents being mentioned. 

Will I bring supporting documentation showing the sources of my income? Sure? Do I expect they'll be asked for, or understood? Meh. Could they be photo-shopped? Yep. Are they in Thai? Nope. Do the amounts match what I send to Thailand? Nope. Are the amounts in THB? Nope. Would anyone other than an accountant understand these documents? Maybe, if they were in one's native language.

I think (hope?) the bank letter detailing the qualifying foreign transfers will be sufficient. Along with, perhaps, some sort of account certification letter. That's two fairly simple official documents, maybe in Thai, using THB.

• Thanks 1

I was at CW yesterday. The Bangkok Branch in the basement said they could do a letter for Jan to April but for a year you would have to get it from your local branch. My branch at Ekkamai had told me 2 days earlier that to get statements over six months you had to go to Head Office and gave me a form to apply for it. This would not be instantaneous but take a 'few days' to produce.

Although very rarely asked for in the past, Immigration has always had the power to ask for proof of the source of an applicants income. If they suspect an applicants income document is suspect Immigration can ask for proof of its original source.

This may not be the latest copy of the requirements but the option to be asked to supply further evidence is still in force.

income evidence.pdf

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sumrit said:

This may not be the latest copy of the requirements but the option to be asked to supply further evidence is still in force.

The evidence mentioned is the proof of income you show such as bank transfers now or proof of income from you embassy. It does not mean the source of income.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

The evidence mentioned is the proof of income you show such as bank transfers now or proof of income from you embassy. It does not mean the source of income.

Ubonjoe, I know there is a document stating Immigration can request proof of the source of income, it's been in effect for quite a long time and this has been discussed on this forum more than once in the past. I haven't got my hard drive containing all the various documents with me at the moment.

Maybe, with your extensive library and knowledge, you could locate the information I 'm talking about please. 

24 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Ubonjoe, I know there is a document stating Immigration can request proof of the source of income, it's been in effect for quite a long time and this has been discussed on this forum more than once in the past. I haven't got my hard drive containing all the various documents with me at the moment.

There is nothing like that in the police orders for the clause for retirement or marriage.

There is always the caveat that immigration can always ask for additional documents not listed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry2 said:

I was at CW yesterday. The Bangkok Branch in the basement said they could do a letter for Jan to April but for a year you would have to get it from your local branch. My branch at Ekkamai had told me 2 days earlier that to get statements over six months you had to go to Head Office and gave me a form to apply for it. This would not be instantaneous but take a 'few days' to produce.

Was this a fact-finding exercise or were you able to actually get "a letter for Jan to April" at CW, or "Statements" at your Ekamai branch?

Can you share the form mentioned?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Bank of Bangkok uses FTT on the deposit printing in the bank book

If I recall previous threads correctly, your immigration office is the same as mine (Rayong). I myself shall be applying for my next retirement extension there in July on the basis of 65k monthly income transferred into my Bangkok Bank account. Will this be before or after you apply for yours?

FYI I'm currently proceeding on the basis of emulating the OP of the following thread:-

1 hour ago, Harry2 said:

CW Bangkok Bank provided a statement from Jan to April. (cost B100)

I'm guessing you successfully renewed your ext/stay?

Can you share any details re: this statement? Did it detail every transaction? Or just the qualifying foreign transfers? Was that the only bank document you needed to provide?

And did you request a different statement, perhaps for a longer period of time, using the Bangkok Bank form? If so, was that required? And how long did it take to get?

In considering the best method to use after some information from another thread it occurs to me that the income method might be the best option for reducing my contact time with Immigration.

I receive more than 65 per month in Social Security and VA Disability so what kind of documentation would the bank need to provide for me to give to Immigration as I don't update my bank book each month. 

Most months are printed out but there may be a couple missing out of the last 12. 

Best method to use in reducing contact time with immigration is the 800k/400k method.
You already started another thread that you have at least 2 million in bank deposits in Thailand. Why complicate matters?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

My SocSec is about 52,000 baht -- not QUITE enough for the 65,000 baht.  I do wire transfers to myself once or twice a year, more than enough to get to 65,000 monthly BUT Immigration requires that the 65,000 be EACH month, not averaged out.

Two questions:

(1) If I deposit a U.S. check in my Thai bank account will it appear with the necessary "TTF" code (or whatever) when it finally clears?

(2) It is easy for me to transfer the extra 15,000+ baht monthly BUT I have to pay a $25 fee to my U.S. bank each time.  I'd rather avoid those $300 in total annual fees.  Any ideas about a method or bank that would charge much less than $25 per transaction?

29 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Best method to use in reducing contact time with immigration is the 800k/400k method.
You already started another thread that you have at least 2 million in bank deposits in Thailand. Why complicate matters?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Using the monthly income method, there is no 3 month post-extension seasoning, and no 400k hold limit on the account.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, singburisam said:

My SocSec is about 52,000 baht -- not QUITE enough for the 65,000 baht.  I do wire transfers to myself once or twice a year, more than enough to get to 65,000 monthly BUT Immigration requires that the 65,000 be EACH month, not averaged out.

Two questions:

(1) If I deposit a U.S. check in my Thai bank account will it appear with the necessary "TTF" code (or whatever) when it finally clears?

(2) It is easy for me to transfer the extra 15,000+ baht monthly BUT I have to pay a $25 fee to my U.S. bank each time.  I'd rather avoid those $300 in total annual fees.  Any ideas about a method or bank that would charge much less than $25 per transaction?

You are going to run into problems if each and every month does not have 65k... You should use the combo method (if allowed by your local IO)... If your SS is 52k x 12 = 624k... You will need a bank balance of ~200k 3 months before you go in for extension and then that balance must be maintained permanently... Also watch out for exchange rate fluctuations- The total of your Thai monthly deposits plus the bank balance must never fall below 800k...

7 hours ago, Harry2 said:

Upon asking at Central Festival Bangkok Bank Branch, I was told that for 6 months, they could print out. For a one year statement, it would come from Bangkok and be 200 baht.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is always the caveat that immigration can always ask for additional documents not listed.

That's basically what I was talking about, Immigration have always been able to ask for proof of the origin of a person's income.

20 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Does Immigration want to see a bank statement or will the bank book with the deposits be OK.  Mine has all the deposits starting the month after my last extension I get 2 per month and for some reason it didn't print one in the first month last year so I have 23 out of 24 deposits printed in my bank book and the totals are correct each month and are printed FTT. 

Just did my extension at Rayong immigration a couple of weeks ago, for the income method they said you have to have 12 months of 65,000 or over no month under, no leinency on the new rules, so had to use the 800,000, and  yes I am an American so no income letter available, will wait and see what will happen next year

• Like 2

6 hours ago, OJAS said:

If I recall previous threads correctly, your immigration office is the same as mine (Rayong). I myself shall be applying for my next retirement extension there in July on the basis of 65k monthly income transferred into my Bangkok Bank account. Will this be before or after you apply for yours?

FYI I'm currently proceeding on the basis of emulating the OP of the following thread:-

Just did mine two weeks ago, they told me you can use the 65,000 but have to show 12 months of transfers, so I had to use the 800,000 which was my backup method, hopefully next year i can use the 65,000

• Like 1

21 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

They want to see 12 months bank statements, Then a letter from the bank stating where the money comes from. It must come direct from pension supplier to your bank not from your rich mom.. In my case my government pension went first to city bank in Bangkok then on to Bangkok bank. The bank would not give me the required letter as the money did not come from overseas. I had to go to city bank and get anther 12 monthly statements saying the money came from my pension payments. Lucky I had time to get this all together in time. City Bank is only in Bangkok and need a thousand baht by bank check first. Very strict on proof of where it comes from. Good luck

6 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I'm guessing you successfully renewed your ext/stay?

Can you share any details re: this statement? Did it detail every transaction? Or just the qualifying foreign transfers? Was that the only bank document you needed to provide?

And did you request a different statement, perhaps for a longer period of time, using the Bangkok Bank form? If so, was that required? And how long did it take to get?

They would not accept 6 months of statements from me so I had to order full 12 month pack. Bangkok bank gets this from head office ,takes about 4 days. The bank  can then go through them and pick out direct deposits and then issue a letter with the total for the year.

15 minutes ago, johnmcc6 said:

They want to see 12 months bank statements, Then a letter from the bank stating where the money comes from. It must come direct from pension supplier to your bank not from your rich mom..

that seems to be at odds with what others are saying here - while the bank letter has to show the transaction is from overseas, there is no stated requirement that you show that they come direct from a pension fund, though yes the authorities always have the option of requiring more information about the source ...