Hi and thanks to everyone who helped with the previous query.
Here's a new question- I will be renting a brand new apartment in Bangkok. The owner is Taiwanese and lives in Taipei.
I am renting the unit through an agent in Bangkok.
1. How can the owner complete a TM.30 form from overseas and submit it to Thai Immigration?
2. Will Thai Immigration accept a TM.30 submitted by a proxy of the owner in Thailand or the agent?
3. Is it acceptable to Thai Immigration for a TM.30 to be sent from Taipei with the owner's home Taiwanese address?

Thanks for all useful comments and information!

47 minutes ago, orientfan said:

1. How can the owner complete a TM.30 form from overseas and submit it to Thai Immigration?

Download it off the internet and post it to you or the agent. Anyone can hand it in to immigration.

2. Will Thai Immigration accept a TM.30 submitted by a proxy of the owner in Thailand or the agent?

Probably. The owner (maybe their proxy), house-master (probably isn't one), or possessor (you as the tenant) should be able to submit the TM.30 notifying your arrival/stay at the property.

However, some offices insist that a TM.30 -- completed by the owner -- is on file or submitted when you apply for an extension of stay.

3. Is it acceptable to Thai Immigration for a TM.30 to be sent from Taipei with the owner's home Taiwanese address?

Yes. They have no way of knowing it's been sent/returned from Taipei.

You would never meet the 24 hour deadline by having it sent from Taiwan.  I would not consider that a viable option.

It is my personal experience that anyone (other than the rightful owner of the property) who submits a TM30 to Immigration must also produce a signed P.O.A. (Power of Attorney form), a signed copy of the owner's Thai ID card (or passport for a foreigner) and a signed copy of the owner's housebook.  

I also had to submit a copy of my 1 year lease agreement (the first time).

The owner's agent should be familiar with filing the TM30 and should be able to legally take care of it for you (hopefully).

NOTE:  Your mileage may vary according to location, date, weather, mood, attire, personal appearance, attitude, personnel, color of pen used, current moon phase etc.

34 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

i was under the impression that the renter (possessor) can file the tm.30 by mail within 24 hours of arrival.

No that is not correct.  Your landlord (or his agent) must fill out and sign the form (in Thai).

It is the landlord's responsibility (by law) to file the TM30 within 24 hours after the foreigner arrives to stay in his house or apt/condo etc.  If this is not done, you could have problems completing your next 90 day report and/or filing for your next extension of stay and someone (either you or your landlord) might have to pay a fine (for filing a late TM30 report).

Again:  Your mileage may vary according to location, date, weather, mood, attire, personal appearance, attitude, personnel, color of pen used, current moon phase etc.

Edited by MeePeeMai

4 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

i got this here thread bookmarked, see page 8 post #107:

I read his post.  He is dealing with CW in BKK and it appears that they have only recently started requiring the TM30's.  Every Immigration Office has their own rules but I am surprised that he succeeded in getting his TM30 done in that manner (good for him though).

If I was in your shoes, I would talk to the owner's agent first and see if he is familiar with, and will assist you with the TM30.  If you have a problem going that route, then I would go to the nearest Imm Office and explain your situation and ask them what they want you to do.  Or better yet, wait for ubonjoe to reply or send him a pm and reference this thread.

57 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

No that is not correct.  Your landlord (or his agent) must fill out and sign the form (in Thai).

It is the landlord's responsibility (by law) to file the TM30 within 24 hours after the foreigner arrives to stay in his house or apt/condo etc.  If this is not done, you could have problems completing your next 90 day report and/or filing for your next extension of stay and someone (either you or your landlord) might have to pay a fine (for filing a late TM30 report).

Mostly wrong.

Anyone that is either the owner, house-master, or possessor — by law — can submit a TM.30 in English or Thai.

The law was, almost certainly, not written so that the foreigner report them-self, but as the law was written 40 years ago it didn’t take foreign ownership or tenancies in to account.

Some offices will accept a TM.30 from the foreigner.

It gets messy because offices sometimes use the TM.30 as proof of address for extension applications and insist, whenever possible, that it’s completed by a qualifying third party and sometimes insist it’s only the owner.

1 hour ago, ChouDoufu said:

i was under the impression that the renter (possessor) can file the tm.30 by mail within 24 hours of arrival.

Depends on the office you report to. Most offices don’t seem to enforce the 24 hour rule and will allow the foreigner to report them-self. It’s a fairly meaningless report. They are often stricter about who completes the TM.30 prior to agreeing an extension of stay.

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Depends on the office you report to. Most offices don’t seem to enforce the 24 hour rule and will allow the foreigner to report them-self. It’s a fairly meaningless report. They are often stricter about who completes the TM.30 prior to agreeing an extension of stay.

I wish it were that easy here in Loei.

I tried to have my wife file the TM30 report for me (the 1st time here in Loei) as she was at that time the sole tenant listed on the rental agreement for our house.  We filled out the TM30, took copies of my passport pages / TM6 / Visa Ext stamp / rental agreement etc. and headed off to Chiang Khan IO to get it done (3 hour drive round trip).

Nope, "house owner must come in to do the report".  "Falang name MUST be on the rental contract". 

When we explained that the landlord (owner) lives far away and works everyday as a schoolteacher / farmer and was unable to come in to do the TM30 we were told to come back with a signed copy of his ID card, signed copy of his tabian ban, TM30 filled out and signed by him, new rental agreement listing my name on it AND a signed power of attorney form naming my wife as the "landlord's grantee" so that she could turn in the TM30 on the landlord's behalf. 

Not to mention we had to go somewhere else and buy some government stamps to put on the rental contract so they would accept it.

Now we have to go through this nonsense every time I need to do a TM30.  The POA form is only good for one visit too.

So like I said, others mileage may vary depending on ......

I tried to have my wife file the TM30 report for me (the 1st time here in Loei) as she was at that time the sole tenant listed on the rental agreement for our house.  We filled out the TM30, took copies of my passport pages / TM6 / Visa Ext stamp / rental agreement etc. and headed off to Chiang Khan IO to get it done (3 hour drive round trip).

Nope, "house owner must come in to do the report".  "Falang name MUST be on the rental contract". 

When we explained that the landlord (owner) lives far away and works everyday as a schoolteacher / farmer and was unable to come in to do the TM30 we were told to come back with a signed copy of his ID card, signed copy of his tabian ban, TM30 filled out and signed by him, new rental agreement listing my name on it AND a signed power of attorney form naming my wife as the "landlord's grantee" so that she could turn in the TM30 on the landlord's behalf. 

Not to mention we had to go somewhere else and buy some government stamps to put on the rental contract so they would accept it.

Now we have to go through this nonsense every time I need to do a TM30.  The POA form is only good for one visit too.

This is why many people don’t bother.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

Have you tried signing up for the online ? Its pretty easy nowadays and not only for hotels. here https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/

The register button, fill in details, attach a copy of blue book, a week or so later they send you a login and password.

you could register on behalf of thai owner or tell a little white lie and put yourself as owner.

8 hours ago, JaiLai said:

This is why many people don’t bother.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well in Loei, you cannot do your 90 day reports unless you have the current TM30 paper stapled in your passport.  I tried that one too.  You go in for a 90 day report and the 1st thing they do is check their computer and say you are missing your TM30.

Can't do anything online either as they don't allow online reports there it seems.

At least they have never fined me or tried to fine my landlord yet.  I do appreciate that.

7 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Have you tried signing up for the online ? Its pretty easy nowadays and not only for hotels. here https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/

The register button, fill in details, attach a copy of blue book, a week or so later they send you a login and password.

you could register on behalf of thai owner or tell a little white lie and put yourself as owner.

My wife tried that a while back but was unsuccessful.  I will have her try again and see if we can get it to work.   

We asked about having "our landlord" do the TM30 online and we were told "cannot".  It seems that they do not encourage (or allow) anything to be done online there for some reason.

15 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

I read his post.  He is dealing with CW in BKK and it appears that they have only recently started requiring the TM30's.  Every Immigration Office has their own rules but I am surprised that he succeeded in getting his TM30 done in that manner (good for him though).

If I was in your shoes, I would talk to the owner's agent first and see if he is familiar with, and will assist you with the TM30.  If you have a problem going that route, then I would go to the nearest Imm Office and explain your situation and ask them what they want you to do.  Or better yet, wait for ubonjoe to reply or send him a pm and reference this thread.

yes, OP (and I) will be reporting to CW in BKK as well.

i'll be returning to bangkok for the summer, rental contract in GF's name, so she'll do the reporting.  i'll post an update when i get a confirmation letter (or not).

will only be in bkk for the summer, retirement extension good until october.  will apply for renewal early september prior to leaving for another 8-10 months.  (no 90 day reports)

if they want to deny my extension, fine.  really not worth the trouble anymore, as there are other places to settle down.

• 1 year later...
29 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

I have never done a Tm-30 since they started... silly I know. Anyway, does anyone know how much in the way of fines I might face when I go into local immigration office?

IO told wifey and i it was 2K Bht if the guilty party was a farang, 800 Bht for Thai, wifey was guilty so i paid 800Bht and he laughed...... 

Edited by Pumpuynarak

5 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

IO told wifey and i it was 2K Bht if the guilty party was a farang, 800 Bht for Thai, wifey was guilty so i paid 800Bht and he laughed...... 

so just a ‘one off’ fine, not on how many times I’ve not filled out TM 30 forms... that’s a relief... thanks