BANGKOK 19 May 2019 15:39
swissie

Blood Sugar Alert

Yesterday annual Doctors appointement. Verdict: Blood Sugar borderline. No more sugar in my cup of Coffee (no artificial sweeteners either). No more Beer, as it will be converted to sugar. So far so good, relatively speaking.
- Today, at the Supermarket I started to read the labels. Hard to believe, but most things contain (added) sugar. Even fruit juices that contain natural "Fruit-Sugar" have added sugar!?!?.

How in the h*ll is one to live "Sugar-Free" under these circumstances? As our food seems to be awash with added Sugar, I am starting to believe that my 2 spoons of Sugar in my morning Coffee are not going to make much of a difference. Same goes for my 2 to 3 afternoon Beer's. Right/Wrong?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

a sweetener in yer morning coffee ain't gonna kill ye...and fergit about the sugar, think about starches that can be converted quickly to glucose like rice, noodles, potatoes, and etc...those are the killers, not the occasional snickers chocolate bar...

if you haven't already check yer blood glucose regularly to see how yer body reacts to different foods and then with that knowledge try to control yer diet accordingly...if you are a recently diagnosed diabetic it is imperative to control your blood glucose now to avoid the shit that comes later like erectile dysfunction, peripheral neuropathy, strokes and etc...take it from me who was cavalier about my BG when first diagnosed and then suffered for it later....

Thanks tutsi. Strange, my Glucose reading is high, but not "over the top", as opposed to other "Sugar-Readings".  I may have to educate myself concerning the different "Sugar-Indicators". If rice, noodles, potatoes  are "no go", what would I be eating? Meat only? That would be fine with me.

I just have brandy with coke zero now, no beer and absolutely no cider 😭, can drink, can't get drunk anymore, as to much at once can divert your body from sugar control.

Good things, fish, chicken, egg white, mushrooms, peas, broccolli, lentils, Almond milk /Yoghurt, meiji yogurt 0 fat is quite low sugar. 90% coco dark choc. High fibre cereal (fiber moderates the sugar somewhat), some milk needs checking the label. 

Not so good, French Fries, potatoes, white rice, make them minor proportion of your meal. Orange/ fruit juice (unless drunk with a meal in moderation). Carbohydrate = sugar with a conversion.

Dodgy, most chocolate, almost the whole confectionery and biscuit section. spray whipped cream, soft drinks that are not sugar free, some drinking yoghurt....

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Real coffee lovers never put sugar in coffee; 2 spoons are very much and it means that you drink a syrup coffee; at beginning, it will be strange, but try it, black coffee without sugar is delicious

for rice, of course, brown rice, delicious, too; for the rest, two fruits a day is enough

we need sugar, but just don't take "added sugar "; pasta " al dente " , sport etc...

Edited by Aforek
  • Like 1

I do Keto...  yes, even in Thailand...  (which is tougher, but doable)...

That basically means, no sugar (includes fruit, and most dairy (but cheese ok)), (<20gm) carbs, no processed foods... no beer..  (hard stuff vodka, whisky ok... thai whisky (aka rum) no no)... 

90% of what is in western markets is crap...  but I think it's just as bad in Thailand...  probably most of Thai dishes contain sugar too...

I also do intermittent fasting... aka dont eat from 6p-12noon...

My objective was not weight loss (although it's a nice side benefit)...  Trying to let the body repair the damage from too much insulin spikes...   So far it's working... 

Look it up on youtube (plenty of vids for both keto and intermittent fasting)...

Good luck...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, swissie said:

Thanks tutsi. Strange, my Glucose reading is high, but not "over the top", as opposed to other "Sugar-Readings".  I may have to educate myself concerning the different "Sugar-Indicators". If rice, noodles, potatoes  are "no go", what would I be eating? Meat only? That would be fine with me.

nah...you can eat most anything but you must know what yer body can tolerate that you can measure with yer BG testing device...I eat spuds, noodles and a bit of the local jasmine rice but in quantities that I know are not dangerous...after a lot of BG monitoring things become instinctual...also good to consult the glycemic index tables available on google to get a handle on the foods yer eating...

as a diabetic on medication (metformin and insulin) you can always alter the dose if you are 'naughty' but then things can slide outta control very easily...

the issue here is blood glucose control and what you can do to protect yerself with monitoring, diet, medication, etc...exercise can be very effective as well but that may require a lifestyle change that may not appeal to some folks...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Exercise more, not too many sugary drinks, I stopped fruit juice years ago, I used to drink daily. Get more clued up at what contains high sugar

• Like 1

Yesterday annual Doctors appointement. Verdict: Blood Sugar borderline. No more sugar in my cup of Coffee (no artificial sweeteners either). No more Beer, as it will be converted to sugar. So far so good, relatively speaking.

- Today, at the Supermarket I started to read the labels. Hard to believe, but most things contain (added) sugar. Even fruit juices that contain natural "Fruit-Sugar" have added sugar!?!?.

How in the h*ll is one to live "Sugar-Free" under these circumstances? As our food seems to be awash with added Sugar, I am starting to believe that my 2 spoons of Sugar in my morning Coffee are not going to make much of a difference. Same goes for my 2 to 3 afternoon Beer's. Right/Wrong?

Wrong.

2-3 beers is quite a lot of sugar.

As for your morning coffe try sucralose sweetener (Trusalen) or Stevia.

It is quite podsible to find fruit juices without added sugar or (afded) fructose. But you do eed to read the labels and not rely on "no added sugar" claims. Try the Doi Kam brand. That said, many fruit juices are naturally high in gructose and it is better to stick to fresh fruit. If you must have fruit juice, apple, tomato and guava without added sugar aten't too had.

Generally just avoid processed foods. These wll have added sugar as well as a lit of other unhealrhy things. Stick to fresh foods.

Need to he wary of food prepated by market venders as they also usually have huge amounts of sugar (and unhealthy oils).

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Plenty to eat:

Vegetables
Fresh fruit
Whole grains (brown rice, brown bread, wholewheat pasta).
Meat
Fish
Dairy products milk, chhese, unsweetened yogurt)
Eggs
Beans
Bean curd

Just avoid all the processed foods and alcohol and foods prepared with added sugar.

It is quite easy if you cook at home. Much harder if eating out.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

There is an easy solution: Just enjoy your life and don't care about some number which some doctor found somewhere.

I have been diagnosed with diabetes. After that I didn't drink coke and similar sugar drinks anymore. I also don't drink orange juice anymore for the same reason - even if it is fresh.

I take medication and I guess I will take them until the end of my life. But I still enjoy life. If I knew I would life a year longer if I wouldn't eat any sugar anymore I would continue with that sugar.

Enjoy life!