Blood Sugar Alert

swissie

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:22 PM, Saddic said:

Grains (of any type): most have been GMO'ed (genetically modified) and are hard on the body as well as being mostly carbs... 

Not in Europe. EU law prevents the growing of GM crops. Also, any food containing GM produce must be clearly labelled as such which, in practice, means that very little GM produce appears on supermarket shelves as people won't buy it.

The only grains that, generally, make it into the food chain in Europe, are those fed to animals. These are imported from the Americas. Initially, these too were banned, but, after immense pressure from the US government, including a trade war, were eventually allowed. This is due to the fact that the growing of GM grains is the norm in the US.

Currently, this is causing some controversy in Europe, resulting in a number of companies being exposed for feeding GM grains to livestock that is used in their meat products. McDonalds being the prime culprit.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of good (and some bad!) advice here. I have been a big fan of keto for 2 years now.

I was diagnosed Type 2 diabetic 10 years ago but did not take it seriously as i had no symptoms - until 3 years ago. By then I was 95 Kg (at 170 cm tall) = obese. Then I got tingling in my left foot (neuropathy) and had been put on statins and metformin. 

Since starting keto I am down 20 Kg, walk 4/5 miles a day, came off the meds and feel better than I have in a long time. My morning readings are stable, and I know what I can't eat (fruit for 1). I can't shift the neuropathy which means I have to take extra care of my feet now. I have since realised I am for real a sugar addict. I have no cravings for carbohydrate but always had a sweet tooth. Fighting that is the same as alcoholism, one day at a time avoiding chocolate, ice cream etc. I still have the occasional Chang but will never return to drinking 50 cent beers in vast quantities like I did when i lived the previous 5 years in Cambodia. Gin and tonic for me nowadays.

Eating out can be a challenge but there's nothing I really miss. Besides there are no western restaurants in a 3 hour radius so not such a problem, as I cook every meal keto by myself. Thai restaurants just pile in the sugar. The highest by far reading I have had was after a Pad Thai. Off the scale.

Good luck and for reference check these out. They have helped me immensely.

www.dietdoctor.com and www.diabetes.co.uk

48 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Lots of good (and some bad!) advice here. I have been a big fan of keto for 2 years now.

I was diagnosed Type 2 diabetic 10 years ago but did not take it seriously as i had no symptoms - until 3 years ago. By then I was 95 Kg (at 170 cm tall) = obese. Then I got tingling in my left foot (neuropathy) and had been put on statins and metformin. 

Since starting keto I am down 20 Kg, walk 4/5 miles a day, came off the meds and feel better than I have in a long time. My morning readings are stable, and I know what I can't eat (fruit for 1). I can't shift the neuropathy which means I have to take extra care of my feet now. I have since realised I am for real a sugar addict. I have no cravings for carbohydrate but always had a sweet tooth. Fighting that is the same as alcoholism, one day at a time avoiding chocolate, ice cream etc. I still have the occasional Chang but will never return to drinking 50 cent beers in vast quantities like I did when i lived the previous 5 years in Cambodia. Gin and tonic for me nowadays.

Eating out can be a challenge but there's nothing I really miss. Besides there are no western restaurants in a 3 hour radius so not such a problem, as I cook every meal keto by myself. Thai restaurants just pile in the sugar. The highest by far reading I have had was after a Pad Thai. Off the scale.

Good luck and for reference check these out. They have helped me immensely.

www.dietdoctor.com and www.diabetes.co.uk

Congratulations!
The web is awash with stories like yours; people who have put their diabetes into remission and discontinued their meds by going low carb/keto. I hope some of the diabetics and pre-diabetics on this forum can do what you have done.

On 4/21/2019 at 9:47 AM, attrayant said:

I've gotten into the habit of taking my bottle of liquid stevia sweetener (pictured below) to the smoothie vendor.  Instead of two big scoops of sugar syrup that she usually ladles into the smoothies, I need only a single scoop of this and an hour later I don't have a sugar crash.  At home I use a single spoonful of sucralose in my iced tea to get the same sweetness I used to get from 3-4 spoons full of sugar.

IMG_8672.JPG.14017a7d08730065144f4b50ba1575f0.JPG

I'm neither diabetic nor have any signs, but I figure if it's just as tasty then why not reduce added sugar?  I certainly don't need the extra caloric energy at my age (mid 50s).

[edit] One more thing I love about the granulated sucralose is that, because it has no calories, ants have absolutely no interest in it.  I keep it in the "sugar" bowl in the kitchen and don't have to worry about an insect invasion.

Congrats to your post! I use Kontrol since some time after I was diagnosed with having very high FBS about 13 years ago.. For some time I ordered it straight from the manufacturer but since quite a long time I buy it at Tesco-Lotus and Big C, 64 Baht a bottle, it is readily available. I sweeten literally everything with Kontrol and it has absolutely no after taste at all! My wife makes mound watering blueberry cheese cakes, I use it mainly for coffee, sometimes I make cinnamon rolls (the Swiss love them!) or apple sauce. My FBS is now between 90-126 average, borderline, under control. Occasionally I have more, but only after I have sinned, like eating Nutella. Right now is mango time, so I indulge in eating Naam Dokmai mangoes every day right now. I forgot to mention that I eat 3 dates every day (very healthy) and still love a few cookies with my afternoon coffee. No need to copy me, except or the Kontrol.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everybloody, I am the OP. Must once more return to this topic.

Went stricty by Doctors orders: No more Sugar, no more Carbohydrates, massive reduction of alcohol intake. All "cold Turkey", following Doctors orders. That was almost a month ago.

- How come I never felt worse in all my life? I am physically and mentally "sluggish". Among other things, no more regular bowel-movements and I am walking around like a "Zombie", likely to get run over by a truck sooner or later. It's like all bodily and mental functions have gone into some form of "hybernation". Some form of physical and mental overall "reduction", compared to "before". (sorry, can't describe it in any other way).
Just thingking: Should I have gradually changed diet and livestyle? If that would have been of relevance, surey Doctor would have advised accordingly. (did not).

- I am hesitant to go and take an onother series of medical "tests". It would be like taking 77 "Brexit"- Votes.
Or worse: Doctors will tell me that going into physical and mental Hybernation is a good thing. It worked for Bears for thousands of years.

It's just that most Bears that I know never had to cross 2nd street in Pattaya during rush-hour while in a state of Hybernation.

Sounds like your body is moving into ketosis (running on fat rather than carbs). You do feel crap during the switch (took me 3 weeks), but then you feel great with greatly increased energy. Make sure you are eating plenty of healthy fats.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Are you sure he said no more carbohydrates? like pasta potato rice

Of course he said that if there is a blood sugar problem. Carbs cause it and once you are too far gone you can't eat anymore carbs. Better to cut carbs a bit before you are at that point. So you can still enjoy your carbs but in smaller portions and maybe healthier choices then to be forced to totally drop them.

What exactly do you mean by "no more carbohydrates"?

I cannot believe any doctor gave that advice and it is very unhealthy. You need to avoid refined sugars, processed carbs and then limit your overall carb intake. Which is very, very different from a "no carb" diet.

You should eat no  more processed carbohydrates (white rice, white bread, pasta etc). You should eat whole wheat grains in moderate amounts and you definitely should eat vegetables (other than potato and tubers) which of course contain carbohydrates, but in complex form. Certain low-glycemic fruits like apples, oranges, berries  and guava are also OK.

It very much sounds like you are not getting enough fiber. And you may be missing some important vitamins and minerals as well.

I suggest you immediately start eating 1 large serving of oatmeal daily, rolled oats rather than instant are best. You can add stevia or sucralose sweetener, some cinnamon if you like, a little milk or plain unsweetened yogurt if desired, apple, berries etc. This will greatly help your bowels. That and start eating salads and cooked vegetables. And add a slice of whole wheat bread or small portion of brown rice to each meal. (Slice single and "small" on the rice)

The normal diabetic diet for a man would be 1800 - 2000 calories a day (depending on whether you need to lose weight) with up to half of that coming from carbohydrates which translates to about 200 - 250 gm of carbohydrate a day.   Now, a single piece of cake with icing will exceed that as will most other junk food snacks and desserts, so those truly are no-nos. . But you can fit quite a lot of vegetables, some whole grains and dairy products within that carb allowance.

Are you also on medication such as metformin? If so the combination of an excessively rigid diet plus meds may be making you hypoglycemic.

You should get a home glucose monitoring kit and monitor your blood sugar at home, this will also give you quick feedback on your diet. Pharmacies sell these and will usually teach you how to use.

On 4/20/2019 at 10:53 PM, FracturedRabbit said:

I have a friend who eats nothing but meat; it's known as the carnivore diet; and he is flourishing. 

I'm surprised by how few eat for their blood type - genetic type, worth looking into, I would bet the above mentioned chap is type O?

Archived