What's the chance of meatless meats being adopted in thailand

Hal65

Sorry but whilst certain commercial enterprises might make money from individuals, there is no such thing as meatless meat. It's a con.

By definition  "Meat is animal flesh that is eaten as food"

If it isn't animal flesh then it isn't meat. It is just an advertiser's gimmick.

Had a meal in a restaurant in Beiging once, colleague was vegetarian and wanted me to try this place. Cant remember what the dish was actually called but the taste/flavour and texture was almost identical to the real thing and I thoroughly enjoyed it. never had anything even close to that experience again.

For me, whatever it actually is, would be honestly described as a "meat substitute" not some promo gimmick of meatless meat, either its meat or its a substitute for it. (IMHO)

Be a vegan.

Tell everyone you meet within 3.4 seconds how superior you are.

Dream of burgers, steaks and other meat without meat.

Why don't they just enjoy their own crap when they are so superior? 

4 hours ago, Hal65 said:

(you can buy them at the grocer)?

We go to a restaurant in Sukhothai opened good few years back, I call it the plant shop, we go there when my Mrs is on her meat free Buddha time thingy, looks like meat taste like meat but everything on the plate is from plants. 

I reckon it will take off.

Those stands with hotdogs and Luuk chin that is supposed to meat, but is really mainly flour are very popular.

i too have tried that lefty, tree hugging fake meat in vegan shops.

And was very impressed. It was like eating meat without any gristle or veiny bits. Actually better than the real meat.

6 hours ago, AtoZ said:

Be a vegan.

It's like riding a baht bus or motosai, an option for every type of person.

One doesn't have to broadcast his "status" with every action ????

I know of a natural foods restaurant in BKK that serves some entrees with a "mock meat" that I gather is mainly made from ground nuts, seasonings, etc. I've had it as a taco salad, and it's pretty tasty.

On the other hand, I just tried the supposed beef filling that Taco Bell Thailand has recently made available at their two outlets in BKK, and there's no way in the world anyone eating it would believe or think or taste that they were eating beef. Rather, some kind of foreign mystery "meat".

Between the two, I'd take the 'mock meat" from the BKK health foods restaurant every day of the week!!!

well, the Thais are getting more open for new things otherwise they wouldn't getting so fat.

Mc Vomit, Slobwhey and Kill Fuc*ing Cololel are also been adopted in a record time.

But vegetarian stuff has still worldwide a hard time.

Most living the Philosophy: My food pi**es on your food and see themselves at the begin of the Food Chain.

What's not in five seconds escaped in a tree, flies away or has four legs is considered edible.

I personally would end up in depressions knowing my bacon at breakfast is no bacon and my steak has never been bleeding.

If you are planning to go into business that way be prepared there is not a new trend coming. 

The best way contact Tops, chose a or a few few shops where you want to see your products, pay your security deposit (its if you kill somebody with the food) I think it was 10-15 grand baht and wait and see..

Oh, if it hasn't the required FDA Code they will not sell it.

ALL external produced Products need the FDA Code Number. You will find this Number on every pack.

Tofu is a standard ingredient in pad Thai. So are prawns, I prefer both in my pad Thai. Had a tofu burger once and wouldn't thank you for another. Meat is meat, tofu is tofu, and long may they remain so.

13 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Had a meal in a restaurant in Beiging once, colleague was vegetarian and wanted me to try this place. Cant remember what the dish was actually called but the taste/flavour and texture was almost identical to the real thing and I thoroughly enjoyed it. never had anything even close to that experience again.

For me, whatever it actually is, would be honestly described as a "meat substitute" not some promo gimmick of meatless meat, either its meat or its a substitute for it. (IMHO)

Took a client to China and babysat her for a couple of days and she was a veggie. Everything went ok, but I had to go back to Hong Kong so left her in the capable hands of my assistant who was a mainlander.

Checked up a couple of days later. How’s it going etc? Ok says he. You do remember she is vegetarian? Yeah, no problem sir... I just order what I want and pick out the meat, then give the rest of the dish to her.

Perfectly acceptable in his eyes. Oh how I laughed.

• "what's the chance?"  would be a rhetorical question with no answer, 
  • but, re: follow up postings: seems to me, most popular Meat  in Northern LOS is  pork , far and away, not sure if that remains true down in Songkhla
  • re: Vege Meat as a replacement,   every year  there is  a Buddhist Vege Week , a "lent" ,  where you can try  a  good Thai dish without  Meat.
  • SEA still retains some of it's Vedic traditions, I submit it is bad form to promote beef eating in LOS if your a guest.  Ignoring the Buddhist ethical concerns.
  • Younger generation may be more planet conscious, as they will have to try to live on it longer ....... 
  • all protein farming is rife  with toxicity  for both any town near the Shrimp farms or abbatoirs and any consumer trying to avoid its dubious feed and chemicals in it's modern production, even for the free-range stuff .....
  • ( maybe one could ask another un-answerable,  e.g. is Monsanto  linked food  worse  than  eating  Thai produced  pork , etc
    • the poison cartel :
  • times have changed

I wonder how many of the people who eat something that tastes like meat but is not meat know exactly what they are eating.

Do you care?

Is it ok as long as it's not real meat?

Some time ago I read the book Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal (2001) from the investigative journalist Eric Schlosser. Wow, that was an eye opener.

Basically anything can be made to taste like something else. The food industry designs for you what you want.

But is this what you want?

Personally I eat food which I can clearly identify at what it is. Vegetable, eggs, meat, whatever. Humans are used to that since thousands of years.

A fringe percentage of the Twatterati, same as in the west. If you don't want to eat meat, why are you creating an 'artificial' meat? Just stop eating the damned stuff and leave more for those of us who do. Plenty of Thais don't eat meat because they are Buddhist, or at least refrain from doing so occasionally. I don't think they have the substitution mentality - a tofu burger is tofu, not a burger.

OneMoreFarang said: "Personally I eat food which I can clearly identify at what it is. Vegetable, eggs, meat, whatever. Humans are used to that since thousands of years."

I agree - in Thailand, mechanically recovered meat is so widespread, because of the general high degree of tolerance to offal and so on, that I basically only eat meat here now where I can see actual meat / muscle fibre.

I've been hassling this outfit to import to Thailand.  They say they're not ready yet as they're still a relatively small company.  They are in parts of Asia though, and widespread in USA.  If enough people show demand then maybe they'll re-orient ('scuse pun) their target market to 'meat' consumer demand:

https://impossiblefoods.com/

It's not Quorn/Tofu or anything like that.  It's textured just like meat, and apparently in taste tests is the preferred option (I've never got to try it, so don't know - though I'd love the chance to).

There is a veggie restaurant in Pattaya near the South Pattaya road, 3rd road junction on South. I sells all kinds of stuff made with soy to resemble meat and fish. I don't use it as I don't want my food to look or taste like meat or fish.

On 4/20/2019 at 12:09 PM, Kwasaki said:

We go to a restaurant in Sukhothai opened good few years back, I call it the plant shop, we go there when my Mrs is on her meat free Buddha time thingy, looks like meat taste like meat but everything on the plate is from plants. 

You would be horrified from what the stuff has been made from apart from tofu. It is full of chemicals or how would you achieve taste  texture and color?

On 4/20/2019 at 12:06 PM, AtoZ said:

Be a vegan.

Really pathetic.

3 hours ago, Letseng said:

You would be horrified from what the stuff has been made from apart from tofu. It is full of chemicals or how would you achieve taste  texture and color?

OK don't just say I would be horrified, from what the stuff would I be horrified of, I know you can clean the toilet with Coca-cola but I still drink it.

I ate a Beyond Meat burger at A&W in Canada and an Impossible Burger in Hong Kong. Both were really tasty, if overpriced, and were very 'burger'. Of course, I should say no meat has passed my lips since 1966!

Vietnam has lots of veggie restaurants and Happy Cow posts listings for everywhere on the planet. Have to be careful the not-meat isn't loaded up with MSG, though. 

Archived