Police open door to no death penalty charge over Phuket seastead case

rooster59

13 hours ago, chang1 said:

If it is floating, why is it not treated the same as a boat that has dropped anchor, which are everywhere?

This was my thought.   Says the seasted has 6 -200W solar panels and has a "water maker" that can produce 60 liters an hour.  https://ocean.builders/the-worlds-first-seastead-is-in-the-water/

From the Ocean Builders website:  https://ocean.builders/blog/

The April 15th sale of seasteads is to be postponed until we can get everything straightened out and figure out the best path forward for everyone.

Update:
Some reports indicate that the XLII seastead has not been demolished and is awaiting such a task. We hope that we can work with the Thai government on a beneficial resolution to this whole situation. Our hope was always to donate the platform to a University for marine research

It has been reported that the first seastead, XLII, has been or is in the process of being demolished by the Thai navy. It is also being reported that our first residents, Chad Elwartowski and Nadia Summergirl are being held responsible for building the seastead and putting it in its current location.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Chad and Nadia were volunteers excited about the prospect of living free. They took pictures and videos of the whole process and posted it on social media. They spent a few weeks on the seastead and documented their adventure.
They were in no way involved in the design,

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

This was my thought.   Says the seasted has 6 -200W solar panels and has a "water maker" that can produce 60 liters an hour.  https://ocean.builders/the-worlds-first-seastead-is-in-the-water/

From the Ocean Builders website:  https://ocean.builders/blog/

The April 15th sale of seasteads is to be postponed until we can get everything straightened out and figure out the best path forward for everyone.

Update:
Some reports indicate that the XLII seastead has not been demolished and is awaiting such a task. We hope that we can work with the Thai government on a beneficial resolution to this whole situation. Our hope was always to donate the platform to a University for marine research

It has been reported that the first seastead, XLII, has been or is in the process of being demolished by the Thai navy. It is also being reported that our first residents, Chad Elwartowski and Nadia Summergirl are being held responsible for building the seastead and putting it in its current location.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Chad and Nadia were volunteers excited about the prospect of living free. They took pictures and videos of the whole process and posted it on social media. They spent a few weeks on the seastead and documented their adventure.
They were in no way involved in the design,

This could have been written by Chad himself, not implying that it was but it is a possibility.

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

The following is from a report by the Associated Press:

"In online statements, both Mr Elwartowski and Ocean Builders said the couple merely promoted and lived on the structure, and did not fund, design, build or set the location for it."

And yet, there are constant statements to the effect that it was Elwartowski's $150,000 of bitcoins that financed the structure, and endless videos posted of him directly involved in the erecting and finishing of the structure. Further, many statements regarding his consultation with Thai attorneys regarding the location of the structure. Elwartowski and the Thai government - a match made in heaven.

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

More xenophobic nonsense from the Thai authorities.

How can a platform built in international waters be a national security issue?

Why issue warrants to arrest two people that stayed a few weeks in it and had nothing to do with it's construction?

I think the American and the construction company are very much one and the same . He’s just trying to be a smart ass from what I have read . He’s trying the old bulls%it baffles brains theory. It’s not really the country to play games . 

11 hours ago, observer90210 said:

As said before, why not start rather to hunt down those who agreed to build the structure  ?

Why not let the Court clarify the juridical sovereignty prior to talk about different sentences and to remove the object … ????

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

More xenophobic nonsense from the Thai authorities.

How can a platform built in international waters be a national security issue?

Why issue warrants to arrest two people that stayed a few weeks in it and had nothing to do with it's construction?

While I would agree with you I think one has to remember that the country is still, for the most part, under junta rule. I am not suggesting it is the case but a (paranoid) junta government might even see it as being a platform for a 'spying' activities. 

So over-the-top.  Simply tow the structure to shore, impound it, and issue a warning, perhaps a fine, demand a wai.  The couple are out 150k USD.  That's a message then some.

But no - instead - "Life in prison or death!!!"  

Eventually this issue will show up in International court as it must.  But given Thailand's initial "Death to Seasteaders" stance, I doubt that the seasteading couple has any desire to be apprehended a then given a show trial for breaking a law that was dredged up for the occasion - especially when the couple thought they were not breaking any law at all as they were in international waters.  So, no intent.  Doubt that will matter when TPTB are screaming for foreigner's blood.

Once again: So over-the-top.  Simply tow the structure to shore, impound it, and issue a warning, perhaps a fine, demand a wai.  The couple are out 150k USD.  The message has been sent.

So, why the histrionics?  dry.gif&key=22f655d0c3f1a16c0bc1ba04ceebaa857af0cf25c77c462134740a4cd34cacff

Which person in what position of authority has threatened “ Death to Seastanders”? A bit of overactive drama queen imagination showing through there.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

A sensible statement from this guy. It’s his case to investigate and decide if charges are warranted. So far he thinks no security threat.

Sense at last.. investigate, look at the evidence.. who built it, why was it built, who invested in it, who owns it, were any permissions granted to locate its mooring position etc etc.. 
not catch him hang him !!

This seastead raises more questions than answers. So you are 22miles from the nearest shore which means you have to travel back to land (in this case Phuket) to re-supply with both food and fresh water and fuel. So you are still bound by the immigration rules of the country you are having to re-supply from. Sounds like an absolute and complete pain in the arse and a horrible waste of money. I recon a week out there and you would be climbing up the walls with cabin fever. With monsoon season about to start I reckon it would simply be a few weeks of that to naturally put the idea dead in the water so to speak.

To make something like this work in international waters you would truly need to be situated in the middle of the high seas with a flotilla of enormous resupply ships coming to you. Rather just live permanently on cruise ship and obtain the same status.

I'm a bit worried now, my dog is a foreigner and she claims a corner on the couch as her sovereign rightful piece of property! I don't know what to do to protect her, but she packs a mighty bite when challenged over it! All 5kg of her!

4 hours ago, peterb17 said:

I can sort of see where you are going - but I can’t imagine there is anywhere in the world these days that you can express a pioneer spirit- there are always tribal wars , corruption, constant surveillance.

There is nowhere to go. 

But if this guy really wanted to escape - can you imagine he would be totally off grid? Not getting his quadruple skinny latte - not being able to see his bitcoin fortune crumble .

I seem to remember a cruise liner that toured the world - so billionaires would have no home country- maybe he should join them?

The Wild West does not exist anymore 

Fair enough. There does seem to be a trade-off between "places you can go for that pioneer spirit" and a general sense of lawlessness. I've found it interesting how political observers have chronicled the rise of "anocracies," or countries that are real s***-shows, but not total anarchy. Usually there's some form of warlord-driven dictatorship. There really isn't much law. Some of the nuttier libertarians point to these places as paradise, and I laugh.

It's just like the high seas: someone can come along and take your stuff, or worse.

Yeah, then there's cutting yourself off from the lattes and the social fabric.

But I am with them when it comes to pushing back on the overreach of the state. Thailand is going to be an adventure for me. I've committed myself to being a "respectful guest," and accepting that the political struggles there are not my fight. I've enjoyed my time there in the past, love the people, and have sort of come to accept that they (by and large) didn't really choose this path. In that respect, it makes it easier to get through the day than living in TrumpWorld, etc.

5 hours ago, jgarbo said:

From video it looks anchored - no movement. No warning lights. If it's run over at night by a vessel? another PIA American in trouble. But a hotel.

So is it a boat or not? It floats and has one or more anchors (although may not be a normal design). 

This could be a good defense if he could prove it was movable in some way like a barge. The legal teams could waste a lot of time and money defining what it is.

Would he have had the same problem if it was a normal boat anchored with a normal anchor?

Or if he had just called it a boat and not mentioned seastead at all.

Such incredible generosity. Such compassion. Such big men. The death penalty for being outside Thai international waters? What on earth were they thinking? This is so typical of the small politicians that attempt to lead and guide this rudderless nation. They make thoughtless declarations, then 48 hours later, after the planet has roundly condemned them for their utter recklessness, they backtrack. Anything to save face. What about thinking before you talk? What about considering the ramifications of a ridiculous criminal charge, before you level that charge? What about demonstrating a tiny bit of vision? Would that be so difficult? 

21 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Now making news internationally.

Officialdom making threats to use the death penalty against foreigners for relatively minor or perceived offences is again putting Thailand in a bad light with the rest of the world. 

Where do these uniformed fools come from?

Thailand?

• 6 months later...

Archived