Real Mashed Potato

DreamRider

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/20/2019 at 9:09 AM, puukao said:

You talked about only ONE potato.

Let us know when they have Mashed Potatoes

I have never had real water.......any idea who has real water?

or real rice?    anyone?   

I presume the OP is a Brit, hence Mashed Potato. 

1 hour ago, Patriot said:

I presume the OP is a Brit, hence Mashed Potato. 

I'm not a Brit, and I've always called them mashed potatoes. I have friends that I visit in the USA, and they call them mashed potatoes. What do you think non-Brits call them? Funny thing is that I thought Brits usually called them "mashed" and omitted the "potatoes" part.  

28 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

I'm not a Brit, and I've always called them mashed potatoes. I have friends that I visit in the USA, and they call them mashed potatoes. What do you think non-Brits call them? Funny thing is that I thought Brits usually called them "mashed" and omitted the "potatoes" part.  

Brits will sometimes shorten to "Mash". Not "Mashed". Otherwise they would use "mashed potato", without the "ES" and thus using it as an uncountable noun.

american-english-there-is-no-such-thing-as-american-english-14734197.png

14 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Actually, no.

"Mashed potato" is an uncountable noun and thus cannot have an "s" or, as in the case of a word ending in "O", an "es".

Ask your self this. When you go to a restaurant would ask for "'a mashed potato" or "some mashed potato"?

If you had finished your meal and wanted more would you ask for "some more mashed potato" or "another mashed potato"?

Brits will sometimes shorten to "Mash". Not "Mashed".

Huh? Since when can I not count potatoes? I can mash some potatoes. I'm certainly VERY WELL aware of countable nouns. Like some other food nouns, potato can be both countable and uncountable. I can have a couple of potatoes, or I can have some potato with my meal. That I am sure of, and I am also VERY sure that I will not get drawn into some silly hyper-pedantic discussion like this any deeper. ????

36 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

Brit here, pedantically, it would depend how many potatoes I used.

If I cut up and made mash with one big potato, that would be mashed potato.

If I only had small potatoes and used three for my mash, that would be mashed potatoes.

Although as a Brit, I would probably just call them 'mash'.

Bangers and mash

For mash get Smash 

etc.

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Brit here, pedantically, it would depend how many potatoes I used.

If I cut up and made mash with one big potato, that would be mashed potato.

If I only had small potatoes and used three for my mash, that would be mashed potatoes.

Although as a Brit, I would probably just call them 'mash'.

Bangers and mash

For mash get Smash 

etc.

We use Spud. Baked spuds, mashed spuds, fried spuds

39 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

British term is Mashed Potato, US and Canadians it’s Mashed Potatoes (as a rule) A further British colloquialism is “mash”. 

Here endeth the lesson!!!!

Just now, Patriot said:

British term is Mashed Potato, US and Canadians it’s Mashed Potatoes (as a rule) A further British colloquialism is “mash”. 

Here endeth the lesson!!!!

twice baked spuds, spud n corn chowder, spud salad, 

3 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

We use Spud. Baked spuds, mashed spuds, fried spuds

Spuds is also a North London football team, their only silverware this century

is winning the "we finished above arsenal"* trophy a couple of times!!

*Not a real trophy but something that means a lot for the poor dears:-)

Speaking of mash, mashed, spuds or whatever, I was in a santa fe place the

other day and had some kind of weird side dish with my pork chop, it took me a while

to realise it was supposed to be mash and gravy!

Damn this thread is making me hungry!

Best mashed potatoes in my book are made those with real cream and lots of butter ....with real bacon (large crispy bits) and chopped green onion or chives in it.  I can eat that until I get sick.  Gotta have a thick rare ribeye to go along with it though.  

2 hours ago, Patriot said:

Spud can also be used as a derogatory term for a Tottenham Hotspurs supporter!!

My brothers mate Murphy , from Ireland , his nickname spud .

He can cook any tape of tatty , i like em with bangers .

On 4/23/2019 at 12:18 PM, MeePeeMai said:

Damn this thread is making me hungry!

Best mashed potatoes in my book are made those with real cream and lots of butter ....with real bacon (large crispy bits) and chopped green onion or chives in it.  I can eat that until I get sick.  Gotta have a thick rare ribeye to go along with it though.  

Totally correct with the following provisos: Idahos. Plus Au Jus. Plus Mushrooms hopefully in shitaake madiera butter reduction

Cut a piece of Rib Eye, pice of shroom, dip in juice, dip in potato, stuff in slobbering gawpingdribboobling mouth, repeat, slurp beer, repeat.........

Archived