Drop off point - departures

JaiMaai

Yes just look for the departure sign. There are lots of places to park. Just look for the correct gate your leaving from. They are clearly marked with the air line name.

They will give you some time to park and offload. But if you want to wait a longer time just go to the short term Car park (signed). First hour I believe is free. Tip if you decide to use the S/Term go to a lower level as the top levels are normally full to the brim. You then use the lifts (lots) to the departure level.

9 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Go online to find out the best gate number to drop them based on airline check-in counters. That's better than driving & looking for a sign.

This is the way to do it.... Go online, find out which 'Check In Counter' the Airline uses, then work out which door this is closest to. 

Drop your passenger at the closest door to their check in counter - they will have about 50m max to walk with baggage. 

https://www.bangkokairportonline.com/suvarnabhumi-airport-terminal-map/

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Drop your passenger at the closest door to their check in counter - they will have about 50m max to walk with baggage. 

& then being Thailand, the departure gate will be the one furthest away from where you checked in?

3 hours ago, CGW said:

& then being Thailand, the departure gate will be the one furthest away from where you checked in?

I wouldn't say that Thailand has the monopoly on that situation; airport design is a work in progress as the number of travellers expands exponentially worldwide, so they struggle to keep up. But yes, those interminable walks to the departure gate can be wearying when you're getting on in age, particularly when the moving walkways are 'under maintenance' too.

The online maps of the term are pretty bad.  I dropped into the term via google street view walked to M-N counters then looked back at the doors to see where to best drop - find your airline counters then spin around and see the door number.

Go on line to see where your gate is? Rubbish, as you stop at departures all the gates/doors are clearly marked with BIG signs of what one you need for your airline. As some one said you then have to walk to the gate/door some 10mt. Why make something Difficult/Complicated when it's so easy. 

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is the way to do it.... Go online, find out which 'Check In Counter' the Airline uses, then work out which door this is closest to. 

https://www.bangkokairportonline.com/suvarnabhumi-airport-terminal-map/

Good advice. The check in desks run from A upwards and the doors from 1 to 10, with door 1 being Desk A and door 10 around desk Q. The first desks are domestic with Thai international on desk H.

In the absence of any positive indication, door 8 (Desk N) is a fairly good choice as there wouldn't be far to walk in either direction once inside the terminal.

13 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Go on line to see where your gate is? Rubbish, as you stop at departures all the gates/doors are clearly marked with BIG signs of what one you need for your airline. As some one said you then have to walk to the gate/door some 10mt. Why make something Difficult/Complicated when it's so easy. 

Of course there is never anything obstructing the view.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

Of course there is never anything obstructing the view.

No as the signs are big and some 15 feet off the ground, if you cant see them you will need glasses. And shouldn't be driving there in the first place.

16 hours ago, CGW said:

Have you transited in Dubai? En route last week the departure gate changed twice.

The original gate was right next to the one I arrived at, but had to go through security and 

round in circles for about 15 minutes, up and down lifts, through duty free, only to find

an Emirates employee sending us off to another terminal on the train.

So, I don't think Suvarnabhumi, or Thailand in general has the exclusive rights to frustrating

airports.

44 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

No as the signs are big and some 15 feet off the ground, if you cant see them you will need glasses. And shouldn't be driving there in the first place.

I do wear glasses and always sit in the passenger seat.

Entirely up to you if you want to believe there is never any obstruction.

18 hours ago, peterb17 said:

No - like any airport in the world  - you deposit your passengers and they walk 2 kilometres to departures 

What total nonsense.

You must shop. It's a shopping mall for goodness sake. Sheesh.

18 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

I wouldn't say that Thailand has the monopoly on that situation; airport design is a work in progress as the number of travellers expands exponentially worldwide, so they struggle to keep up. But yes, those interminable walks to the departure gate can be wearying when you're getting on in age, particularly when the moving walkways are 'under maintenance' too.

I find Swampy for international departures and the amount of traffic, works pretty well.'

Archived