BANGKOK 19 May 2019 15:47
gamini

Toyota have had my car 5 months

Unless repairs total more than 750k they wont write it off...but they should at least provide a courtesy car

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, See Will said:

It might be time for a Lawyer.. Then the Insurance starts getting active.

At least by my stolen bike they did.

At the Insurance office they told me in the face that the case could need 1 year to get my money back.

Our Lawyer shortened it to 4 Weeks..

That's good info even better with the cost for the lawyer many people are thinking costs are very expensive involving a lawyer.

• Like 1

Did you check if your insurance contract contains any clause which might say something about that you are entitled to get a replacement car while your car is being repaired, or maybe that they have to repair your car within a certain time frame?

Posted (edited)

Insurance companies will only write off a car if the cost of repair is more than the value of the car. Write offs are rare in Thailand as labour is cheap.

At the amount you are talking about this is a heavy accident. If the chassis got bent it may not drive straight when finished.

Try the lawyer? They already spent too much on repairs and won't want to write it off but you can put pressure on them by saying you want cash as they have failed to repair it.

Edited by DaRoadrunner

17 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

If the chassis got bent it may not drive straight when finished.

Bent chassis? Do modern day cars have chassis? I thought that was eliminated some years ago and replaced with unibody construction.

I would first try OCPB to see where you stand with this. 

Not sure about Thailand , but in Oz they use to have a rule if damage cost over 70-80% of the value , they write it off

• Like 1

11 hours ago, See Will said:

Our Lawyer shortened it to 4 Weeks.. 

You have an effective Thai lawyer that moves that fast? Send me his contact details will ya? Thanks!

Dunno about dealership & heavy damage, but had experience with insurance contracted garage, those are usually unmotivated and slowish... 

In 2017 my car front ended badly,  insurance company sent her to a contracted garage nearby. They let car sit 3 months and rust. They did zero repair and took zero care to her. 

In the end i sourced parts and did all repairs at home myself, even upgraded FMIC, boost control etc. Insurance company happily paid me fully because even with heavy upgrades and imported parts I still quote less than that do-nothing contract garage... 

• Like 1

Get a lawyer consultation but of course not a half ass one upcountry. Take the time to go to Bangkok and speak to a large firm that has English speaking one's. 

Most likely if not in Thailand based on damages indicated this vehicle might not even be road worthy in a Western country. 

14 hours ago, whiteman said:

whats the name of the insurance company

Viriyah. The yearly premium is bt23,000. They are a very big company.