Toyota have had my car 5 months

gamini

OP

I've given up on my car in a dealership and had to buy a new one.

The other one is still sitting in the dealership. Broken. They don't give any info, just say it's broken, after they replaced half the engine, now they want 200,000thb on top of the original quote to finish fixing it. I've tested it, and it is indeed broken. Or they've 'broken' something to get more money to fix it. 

the car only cost 180k to start with. 

We walked away from it 2 months ago, still not a message from them. Official Dealership.

Thailand. 

Hyundai had my car for months.... no parts. You should have seen the loss of face when I walked in there with the parts.

Honda told a friend they wanted 32,000 B to fix his car. The BS they came out with. If you don't know about cars they will rip you off. We got it fixed at a none Honda garage for 4000 B.

I was told by the manager of my local Axa that on first January this year, the law changed. A "no blame" car owner is entitled by law to be provided with a hire or courtesy car for the duration of repairs, or compensation at a minimum rate of 500baht per day, paid for by the "perps" insurance.

I was the "no blame" victim at the front of a three-vehicle shunt. My Vigo suffered cosmetic damage - a new rear fender and a dent in the tailgate. My insurance is Axa.

The meat in the sandwich was a BMW. Front end and bonnet stove in, rear end and boot lid also stove in, but drivable. Insured by Bangkok Insurance.

The "perp" was an Isuzu pick-up van. It essentially fell apart, steam and puddles everywhere. Insured by Virayah.

The three agents attended and decided Virayah was responsible for all claims, nothing else said. I took the car to an appointed repair shop, the quote was accepted after two weeks, an appointment made to do the repairs, and I was told it would take 7 days, which of course I believed (sarcasm alert). 

I asked Axa about a courtesy car, was told per first para to approach Bangkok Insurance, who told me to approach Virayah and gave me claim numbers etc. - very helpful.

I went to a Virayah office, who blanked me, and eventually said, Go to Head Office. So I did.

Once the message penetrated that I was not going away, they offered me 3500 baht - 500 a day for seven days. I said no way, I could not hire a car for that, and demanded at least 900 per day, with a written agreement to that effect, and approval for extension if the repairs took longer than the expected 7 days. I left with that agreement duly signed and stamped, and was told to bring receipts and rental agreement to claim the money at the end.

I  managed to find a suitable rental for 720 baht, and the repairs took 9 days, mainly because, I think, nothing was done about ordering parts!

At the end, I took the rental papers to Virayah, who faffed about for two hours, wanting my licence, my passport, my bank details, but eventually produced - a cheque! For 9 days at 900 baht! I have no idea how they balanced the ledgers!

I have been here for twelve years and this is the first and only cheque I have ever received!

23 hours ago, gamini said:

Viriyah. The yearly premium is bt23,000. They are a very big company.

I've had very positive experience with them, esp. Mr.Kamon at claim department Viriyah HQ. He speaks English, quite kind and helpful, saved me once from broken wallet. You could pay Viriyah HQ a visit to clear things up. 

But I think they can't push repairer over tech details, if a repairer says the car is repairable, then insurance hardly argue with them. So may need a good lawyer to pressure repairer/insurance anyway. 

What I never understand is why so much STUPID FARANGS on TV want to hire a lawyer if it give a free way to solve this problems very fast. Just visit the consumer protection board and almost everything will run fast and good. This will cost you 0 THB!!!

A lawyer who will be paid from you can be involved all the time but in normal is not needed because the consumer protection board have their own lawyers.

On 4/21/2019 at 7:07 PM, Ctkong said:

Normally in asean countries, once a vehicle was involved in a heavy accident with chassis integrity, the owner would just get rid cheaply the repaired vehicle after receiving it from the insurance company. A bent chassis will not ride well and safely.

Thanks for the good advice. in fact, that is exactly what my wife wants to do. But the car is only one year old. We will lose a lot of money if we sell it. I would think that Toyota would repair the car properly. Whereas the local repairer would patch it all up with piles of fibreglass cement.

Archived