Patong police, taxi drivers meet to discuss service, behaviour

rooster59

Patong police, taxi drivers meet to discuss service, behaviour

By Waranya Prompinpiras

1555735786_1.jpg

"We want public transport drivers in Patong area to be good and welcoming hosts for tourists,” Col Anotai said following the meeting. Photo: Patong Police

PHUKET: Patong Police and officials from relevant government offices held their first meeting with taxi drivers to talk about drivers’ behaviour and find ways to improve service quality in order to “make tourists more impressed”.

Chaired by Patong Police Chief Col Anotai Jindamanee, the meeting was held yesterday (April 19) at Patong Police Station. Present for the meeting were officials from various government offices as well as representatives of taxi, tuk-tuk and motorcycle taxi drivers. Local scion and head of Patong Development Foundation Preechavude ‘Prab’ Keesin was among the attendees as well.

Talking to The Phuket News today (April 20), Col Anotai explained that the aim of the meeting was that was to discuss service issues with the drivers and let them share their opinions in turn. Another meeting has already been scheduled to take place at Phuket Graceland Resort & Spa on May 8.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/patong-police-taxi-drivers-meet-to-discuss-service-behaviour-71157.php#37kQBO86Goo9avs2.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-04-20

5 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Patong Police and officials from relevant government offices held their first meeting with taxi drivers to talk about drivers’ behaviour and find ways to improve service quality in order to “make tourists more impressed

Eh .! So what are the taxi boys calling the shots here .. Is it not part of the granting of a license by the authorities to be a taxi driver that they abide by the rules laid down for the licence and if they don't the license is then removed and they lose their living .. 

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Present for the meeting were officials from various government offices as well as representatives of taxi, tuk-tuk and motorcycle taxi drivers. Local scion and head of Patong Development Foundation Preechavude ‘Prab’ Keesin was among the attendees as well

Any foreigners at that meeting? No, they don't understand tourism.????

12 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Any foreigners at that meeting? No, they don't understand tourism.????

Do you speak fluent Thai? 

Does your country invite foreigners who can’t speak the local language for advice at local government meetings? 

I doubt it. There wouldn’t be much point would there?

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

PHUKET: Patong Police and officials from relevant government offices held their first meeting with taxi drivers to talk about drivers’ behaviour and find ways to improve service quality in order to “make tourists more impressed”.

First meeting!  I can recall that the taxi drivers didn't listen at the numerous previous meetings, so why bother with another time-wasting exercise!

5 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Does your country invite foreigners who can’t speak the local language for advice at local government meetings? 

"Does your country invite foreigners who can’t speak the local language for advice at local government meetings? Yes, California (Not a country, only 39 Million population), does at many levels of government for Spanish speakers. When the customer base is diverse, the wise think out of the box. That is the point????.

The issue of speaking fluent Thai is miopic. Merchants seem quite adept at learning enough English, Russian, Chinese, etc., in order to "make the sale". Why not local Thai Government? Afterall aren't they trying to "sell" Amazing Thailand?

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

How many times do we have to read this repeat trash !

I have lived & worked in Thailand more than 14 years ( now retired) . Maybe I was young & naive when I first visited Phuket back in 1982. Back then even Karen beach was not developed. Now ( after four additional visits to Phuket since then) I will never go back to this overly commercialized island full of unfriendly Thais, traffic, and worse of all , dicking around with the tuk tuk & taxi drivers - they’re rude and hot heads. Not worth the flight and hassle. The police words will not change a thing with these locals from South Thailand. ( different culture) I now have other beaches to go to spend my money.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 4/20/2019 at 2:44 PM, RobMuir said:

In my experience taxi drivers understand enough English, otherwise they wouldn't be able to do their job. But the point by RotBenz is very valid, actually: how can they discuss how to make "tourists more impressed", if they don't ask the tourists? If needed, finding a translator should not be much of a trouble, it's done routinely at international meetings all over the world.

One can deduce that in fact they didn't think that they need the tourist input. 

I've had very bad experiences with Phuket taxi drivers.

Unbelievably arrogant, abusive, and dishonest. All about extorting the maximum amount of money.

On top of that they dont know how to drive and have very punchable faces.

Of course this meeting is useless. They will just pretend to listen and everything will be forgotten the next day. 

Archived