Retirement extension medical

6 hours ago, milwaukeeboy said:

What is required is a "Bai rap rawng paed" which you can get by walking into any clinic where the doctor asks you how you're feeling and checks your pulse.

Here in Bangkok, it usually costs between 80 to 150 baht and takes 3 to 5 minutes.

Is that the same one you get for drivers licence?.

8 hours ago, sirocco said:

Especially do not ask if a medical certificate is required for an OA visa exten

There is no such thing as an O-A visa extension.

IF you reach the point where an extension is required , it would be an extension of stay based on retirement. Visas are not extended and the extension you would get is not a visa.

Edited by Suradit69

7 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

150 baht at the clinic across from K-bank in Nathon in Samui. Speaks good English, takes about 10 minutes.

5 hours ago, Monkeyrobot said:

Is that the same one you get for drivers licence?.

If it is same as driving medical it is easy. My Thai Mrs paid 60 baht and a receptionist at a doctor's high street clinic only needed her ID card. No questions or examinations. Completely pointless. But easy and cheap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

So what happens if you have high blood pressure or a chest infection, maybe cancer is discovered is the extension refused and booted out?

Go live in Pattaya where an extension can be obtained without a medical certificate or with the assistance of an agent, and then join the rest of them coughing on a Bua Khao barstool at 9am. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Saltire said:

I am also in Kanchanaburi and i have needed the medical certificate last 2 years. I go to the local hospital, wait for a few hours and pay 200 Baht, the doc asks me if I am healthy and have any problems - I say yes, and no and he prints and signs and stamps. I get it about the week before my application, which I do about 30 days before expiry incase another new piece of paper arises. I needed it last November.

You should go to the Memorial hospital on the Sangchuto  Road. Only 50 baht. Done in 5 minutes. Next11

Edited by DPKANKAN
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Just give them what they ask for. Simple really. Same with any government office anywhere in the world.

Govt offices in civilized countries don't "make up their own rules" per-each - they follow defined procedures which apply to all in the country.  If they deviate from this, it can be reported, and the report will be acted on, with the necessary corrections made to ensure consistency with the rules defined by the top of the chain - retraining, firings, demotions, etc.

But then, our offices do not operate as fronts for a pyramid-style corruption-money distribution system.

21 hours ago, tgeezer said:

There is no qualifying health standard required to extend permission to stay in Thailand to the end of life so one must ask why it is being asked for. I guess that since Immigration can not act on anything discovered by a medical there must be other reasons for one.

17 hours ago, crazykopite said:

On Samui we have had to provide medical checks for more than 4 years it’s the norm it’s another way of screwing money out of you.

16 hours ago, khunPer said:

Samui Immigration require that health certificate is from a hospital only, and not more than one week old...

Are there "agents" in Samui?  If so, does using an agent avoid the medical?

• Like 2

No problem "giving them what they want", but would like to know beforehand what is required.

What is it exactly? Where can one get it? Does it have to be from a government hospital? How soon before the application can it be dated?

Yes, I had to get a medical certificate for my driver's licenses and renewals. These were done at street-level clinics, and not hospitals, maybe a few weeks before getting the DLs, and involved BP, stethoscope (heart/lungs I guess), a few questions.

Having done six (6) ext/stay ret at Chaeng Watthana, I have never been asked for a health certificate. Nor have I seen this on any of the quasi-official checklists (issued by individual offices) posted here and elsewhere. 

I guess if it becomes a requirement at CW, that some doctors will set up shop in the basement and provide the service?

18 hours ago, khunPer said:

Samui Immigration require that health certificate is from a hospital only, and not more than one week old...

Is that something new? They've never said anything to me about it.

12 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

If it is same as driving medical it is easy. My Thai Mrs paid 60 baht and a receptionist at a doctor's high street clinic only needed her ID card. No questions or examinations. Completely pointless. But easy and cheap.

Exactly the same. Never had an issue with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

That's not true, a lot seem to hang around shopping centres like Big C Extra, probably the same all over Thailand

Well they go there after 10 am when it gets too hot to get the free AC! But that will only be the non-smokers!

On 4/21/2019 at 10:30 AM, milwaukeeboy said:

What is required is a "Bai rap rawng paed" which you can get by walking into any clinic where the doctor asks you how you're feeling and checks your pulse.

Here in Bangkok, it usually costs between 80 to 150 baht and takes 3 to 5 minutes.

Doctor ask you are not death ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Are there "agents" in Samui?  If so, does using an agent avoid the medical?

Don't know about anyone using an agent at Samui for retirement extension – I only know about "agents" for Westerner's business extensions (work permit), and that's often an accountant or lawyer doing that – medical is still a requirement to my knowledge, even if you use an agent.

My girlfriend and I had a Lao housemaid, and used an agent recommended by both tessa ban and amphor offices for work permit, and extensions of stay (migrant workers from neighboring countries get 2-years permits), extended medical checks were required for every application (we had her for 6 years).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

No, that has been a requirement for all about 4 years the medical checks has been needed for extension of stay based on retirement; see the official list in the link, its the same as they hand out in the office. I checked hardly two weeks ago, when I was last time there, and picked up a copy in case of some changes.

If a medical letter from a clinic has been accepted, you've just been lucky, and its not a gurantee that it will work the same next time...????

This is the old Nathon-office (before moved to Maenam) checklist (from my 2016-post), probably the original from when demand for medical checks began...

2016-new-immigration-rule_thumb.jpg.9b4a6dfd13a42f79ae4fbe1e1f1ca932.jpg.2ad121bb1ed85a29b732232e6ab17863.jpg

Edited by khunPer
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

I read it a couple of years ago on the Samui thread, but others posted that the medical check from the government hospital in Nathon was around THB 750, so they had gone to Thai Inter Hospital, Chaweng for THB250.

I followed their advice, and my last two checks were THB250 from Thai Inter. Both accepted without problem at Samui Immigration.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am 75 years old and have NEVER been asked by Immigration to present a medical certificate in 19 years of retirement. I am currently resident in Isaan and renewed my visa only last month. 

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information