BANGKOK 19 May 2019 15:26
myWish

advice urgently needed: US Civil Service Retirement payment

Hello

I hope to get advice on behalf of my friend who is a US citizen, ages 94 years old, and has not received his pension for 11 months now. He tried unsuccessfully to contact relevant personnel at both the USA and US embassy. From what I understand his pension had been sent to wrong bank account in Thailand for nearly a year now thus he cannot withdraw any cash. I don't know the whole story but he almost runs out of fund to live on, to the point that he said he would commit suicide if he exhausts his savings.

I understand that he was in the US army but retired in Thailand for 40+ years. There wasn't any problems before. He wouldn't ask for help for almost a year but tried to solve problems himself by sending letters to personnel services in the US which sadly no one heard him. He doesn't know how to make phone calls or using internet or email the authorities, just snail mails. He let me know his CSA, SS and claim numbers.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

• Like 1

retire@opm.gov  

You may have to wait a while for a reply. What you wrote doesn't sound too promising. Place his civil service ID in the subject. Be sure to explain everything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, joealx said:

retire@opm.gov  

You may have to wait a while for a reply. What you wrote doesn't sound too promising. Place his civil service ID in the subject. Be sure to explain everything.

what do you mean by 'What you wrote doesn't sound too promising.'?

The reason I asked because I will prepare it better.  I don't know anything about the US pension systems hence don't know how to craft the story. But thanks anyway and I'll try that.

Posted (edited)

Thank you so much. Really appreciate your help.

I remember he said something like visiting both the embassy and bangkok bank several times and every time he (to use his word) got 'kicked out'.

With the embassy he said they refused to talk to him and the bank just plainly had no idea what the issues were. Maybe the language barrier.

He really has no one to turn to. poor man.

Edited by myWish
  • Like 1

Oh! that might be the good start.

Are there any paid services for this kind of problem? I'm sure he's willing to pay for if it can help him to get his pension back. He is very old and very slow.

Thanks so much.

12 minutes ago, NokNokJoke said:

You may have to figure out which pension he is missing.   Actual Civil Service,  Army,  Social Security, or 2, or 3 of the above.

Now I know that it is a Civil Service Retirement payment.

He had in the past received money in US currency.

12 minutes ago, myWish said:

Now I know that it is a Civil Service Retirement payment.

He had in the past received money in US currency.

That would be OPM but AFAIK the only option for some years has been direct deposit to a US bank account or transfer using Bangkok Bank New York to a direct deposit account here - suspect he means payment receipt would be in USD rather than receiving USD in Thailand.  And receipts are no longer issued AFAIK - you have to go online these days.  I would make a search of an old Bangkok Bank account book or go with him to bank to check (you could spell his name out and help explain passbook missing).  With that method he has to visit bank with book/passport each time he wants to withdraw money (and his passport may be different than on record - so may need to also take old one).

• Thanks 1

Would add it probably best to visit Bangkok Bank main office on Silom Road in Bangkok as this is a special system to deposit into Thailand using New York branch routing and no other banks offer this method.  They should understand when you mention direct deposit of US Government retirement payments.  Although account may be with a branch; the branch may not have a clue.

• Thanks 1

Good advice. It's worth traveling a few more kilometers. Thank you. :jap:

Thank you. He lives in BKK.

I don't think he has disability in anyway. But the retirement pension should also be considered. I'll ask him anyway if he's in receiving a military pension.

16 hours ago, joealx said:

retire@opm.gov  

Like I wrote before, email the above address. If you don't want to write too much, just make sure his ID {CSA number)i is the subject and that he hasn't received a payment in 11 months. That will get their attention.

• Like 1