advice urgently needed: US Civil Service Retirement payment

myWish

Hello

I hope to get advice on behalf of my friend who is a US citizen, ages 94 years old, and has not received his pension for 11 months now. He tried unsuccessfully to contact relevant personnel at both the USA and US embassy. From what I understand his pension had been sent to wrong bank account in Thailand for nearly a year now thus he cannot withdraw any cash. I don't know the whole story but he almost runs out of fund to live on, to the point that he said he would commit suicide if he exhausts his savings.

I understand that he was in the US army but retired in Thailand for 40+ years. There wasn't any problems before. He wouldn't ask for help for almost a year but tried to solve problems himself by sending letters to personnel services in the US which sadly no one heard him. He doesn't know how to make phone calls or using internet or email the authorities, just snail mails. He let me know his CSA, SS and claim numbers.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, joealx said:

retire@opm.gov  

You may have to wait a while for a reply. What you wrote doesn't sound too promising. Place his civil service ID in the subject. Be sure to explain everything.

what do you mean by 'What you wrote doesn't sound too promising.'?

The reason I asked because I will prepare it better.  I don't know anything about the US pension systems hence don't know how to craft the story. But thanks anyway and I'll try that.

OPM weblink below.  There is also a missing payment weblink.   But it sounds like the payment is going to a bank account number the person gave before....another account he has that may not be located close to him....probably a Bangkok Bank special Direct Deposit account which requires the person to physically visit "any" Bangkok Bank branch to get money....does not have to be the branch he opened the account at.

https://www.servicesonline.opm.gov/

Manila Social Security Office weblink below.  The Manila office is responsible for this part of the world (including Thailand).

https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/

American Citizens Services...US Embassy in Thailand.   But regarding missing pension payments they are going to refer the person to the specific agency....like to the Social Security Agency.  But they may offer some advice/assistance.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/

image.png

Thank you so much. Really appreciate your help.

I remember he said something like visiting both the embassy and bangkok bank several times and every time he (to use his word) got 'kicked out'.

With the embassy he said they refused to talk to him and the bank just plainly had no idea what the issues were. Maybe the language barrier.

He really has no one to turn to. poor man.

12 minutes ago, NokNokJoke said:

You may have to figure out which pension he is missing.   Actual Civil Service,  Army,  Social Security, or 2, or 3 of the above.

Now I know that it is a Civil Service Retirement payment.

He had in the past received money in US currency.

12 minutes ago, myWish said:

Now I know that it is a Civil Service Retirement payment.

He had in the past received money in US currency.

That would be OPM but AFAIK the only option for some years has been direct deposit to a US bank account or transfer using Bangkok Bank New York to a direct deposit account here - suspect he means payment receipt would be in USD rather than receiving USD in Thailand.  And receipts are no longer issued AFAIK - you have to go online these days.  I would make a search of an old Bangkok Bank account book or go with him to bank to check (you could spell his name out and help explain passbook missing).  With that method he has to visit bank with book/passport each time he wants to withdraw money (and his passport may be different than on record - so may need to also take old one).

Would add it probably best to visit Bangkok Bank main office on Silom Road in Bangkok as this is a special system to deposit into Thailand using New York branch routing and no other banks offer this method.  They should understand when you mention direct deposit of US Government retirement payments.  Although account may be with a branch; the branch may not have a clue.

As for any military retirement pension or Department of Veterans Affairs disability pensions, you should contact the nearest Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) post service officer.  They can offer free assistance in helping veterans with problems getting their checks.  There are VFW posts in Bangkok, Ban chang, Udon, Chiang Mai, Korat, and Pattaya.  You can type into google VFW and one of the above cities to find a VFW website for that area.  Make contact and ask to be put in touch with the post service officer for assistance.  There is also an American Legion post in Ubon that can also be googled for assistance.  If you need help finding one of the above VFW posts, PM me.  

16 hours ago, joealx said:

[email protected]  

You may have to wait a while for a reply. What you wrote doesn't sound too promising. Place his civil service ID in the subject. Be sure to explain everything.

Like I wrote before, email the above address. If you don't want to write too much, just make sure his ID {CSA number)i is the subject and that he hasn't received a payment in 11 months. That will get their attention.

4 hours ago, NokNokJoke said:

You may have to figure out which pension he is missing.   Actual Civil Service,  Army,  Social Security, or 2, or 3 of the above.

exactly. Retired military is not same as Civil Service and the opm email given above might not apply.

Date: Fri, Apr 19, 2019, 08:04
Subject: Message for U.S. Federal Benefits Recipients
To: 

Seal with white background

Message for U.S. Federal Benefits Recipients:

The United States Department of the Treasury now offers direct deposit of federal benefit payments, including Social Security Administration (SSA), Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), and Office of Personnel Management (OPM), to banks in Thailand.  The payments are automatically converted to Thai Baht (THB) at the international exchange rate before they are deposited in the account.  U.S. dollar payments are not available.  The United States Department of the Treasury does not charge fees to make the deposits.  However, Thai banks may charge fees.  

Direct deposit is the safest, most convenient and reliable method of receiving your benefits.  The payment is electronically transmitted to your bank account and you have immediate access to your funds by the payment date.  There are no delays, including missing and stolen checks.

You do not have to do anything if you are currently enrolled in direct deposit.  Your payments will continue to be sent to your current bank.

If you wish to sign up for direct deposit or switch your direct deposit arrangement to another bank in Thailand, please contact the agency listed below.

Social Security Administration

U.S. Embassy Manila

1201 Roxas Boulevard

Ermita 0930

Manila, Philippines

Email:             [email protected]

Phone No.:      +63 2 301 2000 ext. 9 (from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Manila Time, Tuesdays and Thursdays except Philippine and U.S. Holidays)

Department of Veterans Affairs

Email:             [email protected]

Phone:             +1 (918) 781-7550 (from 9:00am to 5:30pm, Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday)

Office of Personnel Management

Retirement Operations Center

PO Box 45

Boyers, PA 16017 U.S.A.

Email:              [email protected]

Phone:             +1-888-767-6738 (from 7:40 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time)

Thank you everyone. I think I kind of know something about this US systems ???? after reading several advice.

I attached copies of one of his letter to the personnel since November last year and a replacement card sent by them. The address was from US Office of Personnel Management. So I guess the contact would be the OPM. But why they didn't answer his queries that had been sent several times over the period of 11 months? God only knows.

36024+.jpg

36022+.jpg

That letter indicates he has not received any payment and OPM would not have had a clue with mention of Bangkok Bank as they did not send direct to Thailand.  Sounds as if he may have closed an account somewhere and just sent a letter to OPM asking them to send money to Bangkok Bank.

1.  He needed to have a direct deposit account with account number and supply that to OPM.

2.  Ne needed to provide the New York Bangkok Bank ACH routing to OPM

If he never set up perhaps best to try the new direct deposit in Baht into an account here using the contact information is post above.  It is sounding as if he never set up the Bangkok Bank account via New York

He really needs to call OPM to discuss the problem.  So many questions come to my mind such as:

(1) has he even provided this Bangkok Bank routing number and account number info to OPM

(2) if he did, how did he provide it....maybe the way he provided it it was not accepted by OPM....OPM thought it could be someone trying to redirect/scam the pensioner and didn't make any account change

(3) appears he was getting payments based on his story....why did the payments stop...or did they really stop....maybe they are still going to his other bank account he talked about...that is, going to the wrong account....is that wrong account his account or someone else's account,

(4) maybe OPM has stopped the payments for some reason such as non-response to some letter they sent him and needing him to provide back some verification,

(5) maybe Bangkok Bank did initially receive his pension payments but he was having them made to a  "regular" Bangkok Bank account which is a big no-no for US govt payments as Bangkok Bank will reject the payments back to the sender....but they will first notify the pensioner by letter that he needs to come to the bank to open a direct deposit account within approx 2 weeks or the payments will be sent back....try to bore down more on the bank accounts he's talking about/using.   But if Bangkok Bank did reject any payments that would have occurred when if first started using a regular savings account...not just 11 months ago...unless he switched to a regular account 11 months ago.

A call should bring the issues to full light in one call...an email may not....and obviously snail mail is not working.  Keep in mind the time zone difference between Thailand and US east coast time right now....like when it's 7:40am there it will be 6:40pm here.

Oh! that might answer the whole problems here. I know it was something about his banking but didn't figure it out what.

Thank you so so much.

you people have saved one life. he's a very proud man and rejected my offers to help him (to connect with the modern world) several times until now.

myWish - You've received some good information so far. Here's my input.

I see two issues. There are missing payments and a possible direct deposit misfire to a Bangkok Bank account. Start by accompanying your friend to Headquarters Bangkok Bank (Direct Deposit section; Tel 02-230-1323) on Silom Road. Staff can immediately tell him if there's an issue on the bank's end of the process. You can hear the details for yourself and also help with asking questions.

To use Bangkok Bank's direct deposit receiving service Bangkok Bank will help with the direct deposit sign-up paperwork. Your friend would need to bring his current valid (non-expired) US passport and his OPM benefits award letter (or other proof from OPM that he's receiving annuitant benefits). Bangkok Bank may also ask which bank branch your friend prefers to use (if there's more than one branch in his bank record). Direct deposit accounts are numbered and managed differently than traditional savings accounts. Call ahead to ask if further info is required and if they are willing to make an appointment. Your friend needs to spend as little time outside as possible in this heat.

If it's a bank issue your friend will know immediately (like tomorrow if he immediately acts), and he then can take appropriate follow-up steps such as properly signing up for a direct deposit account. Once the correctly completed direct deposit sign-up paperwork is received by OPM, give it a few pay dates for his missing payments to be received. Direct deposit itself should start within one or two pay dates (June or July). The May pay date may be too close in time to process. Establish a direct deposit account first and then tackle the missing payments.

OPM

How do I report a missing annuity payment?

Please report it here: https://rsreporting.opm.gov/MissingPayment. If you are unable to use the website, you can report it by contacting OPM’s Retirement Office at 1-888-767-6738 or [email protected]. The phone lines are open from 7:40 am to 5:00 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).

Also, the US Embassy has an official non-public email address for the OPM help desk that embassy staff may use to assist your friend. I'm guessing your friend was unable to clearly explain his situation to Bangkok Bank or embassy staff. Contrary to naysayers, the embassy and bank are willing to assist individuals provided they are given all the necessary details (and when assistance is not prohibited by policy or law).

If your friend is cooperative try to review his other monthly benefits payments, if any. He's "94" and "very slow" as you state so he may struggle with financial details and also have interpersonal trust issues and general comprehension challenges. I would also caution against solely relying on what your friend tells you. If he allows you to accompany him to Bangkok Bank you can hear the unfiltered details for yourself and go from there.

Please keep us updated. If there are additional pay issues from other agencies, please report back for further information. You may also PM me if you wish. I commend you for helping out!

myWish,

With all of the above assistance, I do hope you can work matters out. In the event that you are having difficulty communicating with Bangkok Bank staff, please let me know. One of my Thai staff is fluent in English, and often assists me with banking. Despite the bank staff's English and my Thai language skills, it can still prove to be frustrating, and miscommunication is not uncommon. Having a native Thai speaker assisting, the bank staff seems much happier.

3 hours ago, Rocking Robert said:

At 94 he may have to show he’s still alive

This OPM Office is located across the street from the US Embassy on the top floor of this hi-rise building. Take him there with passport CSA number and maybe any bank books showing previous payments. They may have stopped his payments because he did not contact them to prove he was still alive and not just payments going to an account no one was using.  I went there before 3 years ago and no appointment was necessary, unlike the Embassy.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/federal-benefits/office-personnel-management/

Office of Personnel Management

Home | U.S. Citizen Services | Federal Benefits | Office of Personnel Management

U.S. Citizen Services at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok can provide limited assistance with Office of Personnel Management (OPM) issues, including:

1. Submitting an initial inquiry to OPM
  2. Certifying supporting documents to accompany benefits applications
  3. Assisting with Direct Deposit sign up
  4. Reporting missing benefit payments
  5. Submitting changes of address
  6. Reporting the death of a beneficiary

U.S. Citizen Services at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok ([email protected])
OPM Retirement (https://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/contact-retirement/)

13 hours ago, myWish said:

Thank you everyone. I think I kind of know something about this US systems ???? after reading several advice.

I attached copies of one of his letter to the personnel since November last year and a replacement card sent by them. The address was from US Office of Personnel Management. So I guess the contact would be the OPM. But why they didn't answer his queries that had been sent several times over the period of 11 months? God only knows.

36024+.jpg

36022+.jpg

It is not unusual for OPM in Wash D.C. to  take a long time to answer even emai---took them 9 months to get me the forms and info to change some things for me till I got the personal phone number of a clerk who then expedited my requests. Better to take him to the OPM Office  across the street from the US Embassy in BKK 

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/federal-benefits/office-personnel-management/

11 hours ago, BTempleman said:

Where dies this person live? I will refer him to the closest Civilian Liaison Volunteer who can work things out on his behalf. Also,  there are Service Officers in the American Legion and VFW that can help. 

Thanks for the offer. He lives in Pravet area BKK. I'll ask him his contact number and will send PM if he agrees.

11 hours ago, Neocon said:

myWish - You've received some good information so far. Here's my input.

I see two issues.

Please keep us updated. If there are additional pay issues from other agencies, please report back for further information. You may also PM me if you wish. I commend you for helping out!

Thanks so much for very detailed info. Given the numbers of help/advice on this thread I'll surely report back the result.

8 hours ago, timendres said:

myWish,

With all of the above assistance, I do hope you can work matters out. In the event that you are having difficulty communicating with Bangkok Bank staff, please let me know. One of my Thai staff is fluent in English, and often assists me with banking. Despite the bank staff's English and my Thai language skills, it can still prove to be frustrating, and miscommunication is not uncommon. Having a native Thai speaker assisting, the bank staff seems much happier.

Thank you for the offer to help with communicating. Funny enough, we're (my sister and I - the guy is my sister's friend) Thais actually ???? so communicating in Thai wouldn't be any problems. Err! not really, very often even when communicate in Thai I still have no idea what's the other person talking about. ????

Archived