advice urgently needed: US Civil Service Retirement payment

myWish

2 hours ago, Tony125 said:

U.S. Citizen Services at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok can provide limited assistance with Office of Personnel Management (OPM) issues, including:

1. Submitting an initial inquiry to OPM
  2. Certifying supporting documents to accompany benefits applications
  3. Assisting with Direct Deposit sign up
  4. Reporting missing benefit payments
  5. Submitting changes of address
  6. Reporting the death of a beneficiary

I understand that he went there several times and every time he couldn't talk to anyone. But let's try again. Thanks.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Neocon said:

If your friend is cooperative try to review his other monthly benefits payments, if any. He's "94" and "very slow" as you state so he may struggle with financial details and also have interpersonal trust issues and general comprehension challenges. I would also caution against solely relying on what your friend tells you. If he allows you to accompany him to Bangkok Bank you can hear the unfiltered details for yourself and go from there.

Although he's 94 but his mind is very sharp, his thinking is very clear, only his body that doesn't allow much of what he wants to do. He trusts people very easily, too easy that he was cheated financially several thousand US dollars before we met him. And he still hopes that that 'investment' will return him something after almost 20 years passed without the trace of those people. He's not greedy, I'm telling you.

5 hours ago, myWish said:

Although he's 94 but his mind is very sharp, his thinking is very clear, only his body that doesn't allow much of what he wants to do. He trusts people very easily, too easy that he was cheated financially several thousand US dollars before we met him. And he still hopes that that 'investment' will return him something after almost 20 years passed without the trace of those people. He's not greedy, I'm telling you.

I sent you a PM.

8 hours ago, Tony125 said:

It is not unusual for OPM in Wash D.C. to  take a long time to answer even emai---took them 9 months to get me the forms and info to change some things for me till I got the personal phone number of a clerk who then expedited my requests. Better to take him to the OPM Office  across the street from the US Embassy in BKK 

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/federal-benefits/office-personnel-management/

For everyone's knowledge, please clarify which office you're referring to. You earlier said "hi-rise" across the street from the US Embassy but then twice posted a link to US Citizen Services (ACS). OPM is not listed as a US Agency on the US Embassy (BKK) website. Email/Tel # for said hi-rise OPM office?

6 hours ago, myWish said:

Not being condescending but his mind may not be as sharp as you believe.  The reason I say this as you know US Embassy would not as he said "kick him out " unless he could not make himself understood and as you say he does not use internet he could not have made an online appointment which you must do now to be seen. Years ago you could walk in but no more. There is a phone  outside that you can use to call to be let in for emergencies but I have seen a person waiting for an hour with no answer.

2 hours ago, Neocon said:

For everyone's knowledge, please clarify which office you're referring to. You earlier said "hi-rise" across the street from the US Embassy but then twice posted a link to US Citizen Services (ACS). OPM is not listed as a US Agency on the US Embassy (BKK) website. Email/Tel # for said hi-rise OPM office?

Sorry I don't have a phone number for them now but as you enter the building inside on the right there are 2 elevators ,take 1 to I think the 17th floor. I will try to go down there in next few days and get number or address of the building or if someone is near there  how about some help.

11 hours ago, myWish said:

Thank you for the offer to help with communicating. Funny enough, we're (my sister and I - the guy is my sister's friend) Thais actually ???? so communicating in Thai wouldn't be any problems. Err! not really, very often even when communicate in Thai I still have no idea what's the other person talking about. ????

True hero, thanks for being so generous and kind to this person in need!

You deserve a citizen's award and I hope to see your and your sister on the news when all is said and done.  Thanks!!

Not being condescending but his mind may not be as sharp as you believe.  The reason I say this as you know US Embassy would not as he said "kick him out " unless he could not make himself understood and as you say he does not use internet he could not have made an online appointment which you must do now to be seen. Years ago you could walk in but no more. There is a phone  outside that you can use to call to be let in for emergencies but I have seen a person waiting for an hour with no answer.
I suspect having tried to go without having made an online appointment was at the root of the being "kicked out" of the Embassy. Explain to him that he has to make appointment in future and maybe offer to do it for him since he is not computer literate.

But if indeed OPM has an office in Bangkok I'd try them first rather than Embassy consular services.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Sorry I don't have a phone number for them now but as you enter the building inside on the right there are 2 elevators ,take 1 to I think the 17th floor. I will try to go down there in next few days and get number or address of the building or if someone is near there  how about some help.

I greatly appreciate the offer but it's not necessary for you to go out of your way. You're already certainly helping with the info you've provided. Thanks.

2 hours ago, LungKen said:

Try this No# Consul General's office: Consular Section, 02-205-4760 or

Mobile No# 065-521-0497,  Thai operator speaks English pretty good. 

I have various contact #s but what's useful to know is the specific office name when I ask Peggy for the office tel #. I'm going to inquire tomorrow. Thanks.

51 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I suspect having tried to go without having made an online appointment was at the root of the being "kicked out" of the Embassy. Explain to him that he has to make appointment in future and maybe offer to do it for him since he is not computer literate.

But if indeed OPM has an office in Bangkok I'd try them first rather than Embassy consular services.

I'm in contact with the OP by PM. He's being a true friend. We'll get this sorted.

Constructive inputs continue to be welcomed and appreciated from everyone. Thank you Sheryl.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:26 PM, Tony125 said:

ACS-BKK confirmed today there is no local US OPM office or a differently named local US office that offers the same or similar assistance function (other than the basic federal benefits assistance provided by ACS).

Were you possibly confusing OPM with USCIS? USCIS is in the Sindhorn Building (Tower 2, 15th Floor).

6 hours ago, Neocon said:

ACS-BKK confirmed today there is no local US OPM office or a differently named local US office that offers the same or similar assistance function (other than the basic federal benefits assistance provided by ACS).

Were you possibly confusing OPM with USCIS? USCIS is in the Sindhorn Building (Tower 2, 15th Floor).

That's where I went today (photo below) as i went there before to check on OPM related matter. Didn't have an appointment but that was like 3 years ago. I was there at 4PM today and then went across the street and explained to the Thai girl at the Embassy bulletproof entrance about his story ,she was going to call up to see if someone could help me but I told her I didn't have his info so she gave me the form and said to have him  make an appointment.

58374641_845575485789851_513498430119608320_n.jpg

001.jpg

9 hours ago, Tony125 said:

That's where I went today (photo below) as i went there before to check on OPM related matter. Didn't have an appointment but that was like 3 years ago. I was there at 4PM today and then went across the street and explained to the Thai girl at the Embassy bulletproof entrance about his story ,she was going to call up to see if someone could help me but I told her I didn't have his info so she gave me the form and said to have him  make an appointment.

58374641_845575485789851_513498430119608320_n.jpg

001.jpg

I don't doubt you received assistance with an OPM matter but an actionable office name and tel # (different from ACS) would be great.

ACS staff is aware of the gentleman's OPM pay issue, and like everyone here, ACS hopes he can successfully resolve his pay issue as quickly as possible. I don't see a need for him to visit ACS. I would directly help him make an appt and accompany him if needed, and if he requested.

I've been corresponding with the OP by PM. I leave it up to the OP to provide an update if he feels it's appropriate to do so at this time.

Generally, with any missing payments issue in a situation like this, the first step is to rule out a bank direct deposit issue. Sorting a direct deposit issue is typically quick and easy, especially if one uses Bangkok Bank (same time zone). It's payments via US Treasury (UST) check that take far more time to troubleshoot and resolve. Thankfully, very few local beneficiaries still receive a UST check for monthly benefits.

Contrary to general belief, Treasury did not mandate conversion to direct deposit (or the Debit Express Card) for beneficiaries residing outside of the US. There are still some hold-out beneficiaries that love the look and feel of a paper check (that they can show their family and friends). Others are less trusting of electronic banking or don't want banking fees deducted, even when those fees are minimal.

Thank you everyone for your kindness.

I've been exchanging emails with the OPM Retirement Services. I think I should share the info for those who interested and for future references in case there will be someone has the same problems. I'll start with the earliest messages until recently this morning.

--------------------------------------

On 23 Apr 2019 3:09 a.m., "OPM Retirement Services" <[email protected]> wrote:

Thank you for your email inquiry:

OPM accepts International Direct Deposit changes from annuitants residing in the following locations: 

Please use corresponding IDD form:

Anguilla

OP1

Antigua and Barbuda

OP2

Australia

OP3

Austria

AS

Bahama Islands

OP4

Barbados

OP5

Belgium

OP6

Belize

OP36

British Virgin Islands

OP7

Canada

CN

Cayman Islands

OP8

Cyprus

OP9

Denmark

DN

Dominica

OP42

Dominican Republic

SP–OP1

Egypt

OP33

Estonia

ES

Finland

OP10

France

FR

Germany

GE

Greece

GR

Greece, English version

GR-OP1

Grenada

OP11

Haiti

HC

Hong Kong

OP12

Hungary

HU

Hungary, English version

HU-OP1

Iceland

OP28

India

IN

Ireland

OP13

Israel

OP14

Italy

IT

Jamaica

OP15

Japan

JA

Luxembourg

OP29

Malta

OP16

Mexico

MX-OP2-SP

Netherlands

OP17

New Zealand

OP19

Norway

OP20

Panama

OP21

Poland

PO

Poland, English version

PO-OP1

Portugal

PE

Samoa

OP30

Singapore

OP35

Sint Maarten

OP18

Slovakia

OP31

Slovenia

OP32

South Africa

OP22

South Korea

OP39

Spain

SP

St. Kitts and Nevis

OP23

St. Lucia

OP24

St. Vincent and the Grenadines

OP25

Sweden

SW

Switzerland

SZ

Trinidad and Tobago

OP26

Turkey

OP27

United Kingdom

UK

Complete and mail to:

OPM-ROC
PO Box 45
Boyers, PA 16017

If we can assist you in any other way please contact our office.

Sincerely,

Retirement Operations
Office of Personnel Management
1-888-767-6738

----------------------------------------------------------

Date: 04/22/2019 08:03 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Claim No. CSA

Hi
Thailand is not on the list for international direct deposits.

Please provide an alternative method for people living in Thailand. If you have read my message you will find that this is critical and need to resolve very soon. He is very stressed ........

Cheers

-------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, 24 April 2019 2:17 AM

Thank you for your e-mail inquiry.

Unfortunately, we cannot process your request because we do not accept direct deposit information via e-mail.

You may make this change by:

Calling: 1-888-767-6738

• Faxing: 1-724-794-6633

• Writing to:  Office of Personnel Management, PO Box 45, Boyers, PA 16017.

Your direct deposit request needs to include: 

• Your retirement claim number and/or Social Security number

• Financial institution’s 9-digit routing number (also known as an ABA number)

• Account type (savings or checking)

• Account number

• Your signature (required for written requests)

We recommend you verify the direct deposit information with your financial institution.

You may call our toll-free number 1 (888) 767-6738, fax the information to (724) 794-6633 or write to us at Office of Personnel Management, PO Box 45, Boyers, PA 16017.  Please supply your retirement claim number, the account type (savings or checking), account number, and the financial institution’s 9-digit routing number (also known as an ABA number). We recommend you verify this information with your financial institution.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

Sincerely,

Retirement Operations
Office of Personnel Management
1-888-767-6738

----------------------------------

we're currently assess the situations and hopefully will sort things out very soon.

Thanks again.

OPM does indeed provide direct deposit service to Bangkok Bank - they've been using International ACH (IAT) through Bangkok Bank's NY branch. Although not yet published by OPM, Thailand is reportedly also now on OPM's International Direct Deposit (IDD) service list:

"The United States Department of the Treasury now offers direct deposit of federal benefit payments, including Social Security Administration (SSA), Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), and Office of Personnel Management (OPM), to banks in Thailand.  The payments are automatically converted to Thai Baht (THB) at the international exchange rate before they are deposited in the account.  U.S. dollar payments are not available.  The United States Department of the Treasury does not charge fees to make the deposits.  However, Thai banks may charge fees." (US Embassy, Bangkok; 04/18/2019)

In layman's terms, IDD is a different transmittal method than IAT. OPM is one of 95 current US direct deposit sources to Bangkok Bank. I encourage you to phone the Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit section (Global Payments Services) at 02-230-1323 to confirm availabilty. HQ Bangkok Bank can easily help your friend complete the correct SF-1199A to sign-up for OPM direct deposit.

ACS (US Embassy) has direct email contact to OPM's International Desk (Idesk). With your internet assistance to your friend, ACS could email to OPM's International Desk a scanned copy of the completed SF-1199A along with a scanned letter written by your friend detailing his missing payments issue and request expedited processing due to his age and financial hardship. He/you may certainly use the other OPM contact info you posted above. If your friend prefers to use snail mail, the OPM International Desk address is:

U.S. Office of Personnel Management
Idesk
Attention: Nonreceipt Room 2347
1900 E Street NW
Washington, DC 20415

Subject heading: Nonreceipt

Telephone: 202-606-0933
FAX: 202-606-2339

Inform OPM of:

(1) Name and current address of the beneficiary;

(2) Annuitants claim number;

(3) Date of the payment(s) not received (For example: January 2, 2007); and

(4) Type of annuity (CSRS (Civil Service Retirement System), FERS (Federal Employee Retirement System)).

I sent you a PM.

1 hour ago, Neocon said:

If your friend prefers to use snail mail, the OPM International Desk address is:

The other options were phone call (which could be expensive and very confusing) or fax.  Believe the fax option might be the best if not using ACS and could be done from any computer or take to a shop to do.  

fax the information to (724) 794-6633

I had some OPM issues a couple if years back and resolved them through phone call. Email was useless but phone call worked.

In OP case it is not only a matter of re-establishing direct deposit but getting the back payments.

Hve him call OPM ia my advice. You won't be able to do it for him as he will have to answer a series if security questions.

I think I should update although technically there's nothing to update. ????

My sister took the guy to the HQ Bangkok Bank yesterday. Talking at great length to the staff who appeared to be understanding the issues. She suggested my friend to open a bank account at the branch closes to home in case he can't come to withdraw money at Silom there will be services to bring cash to elderly customers to their homes. She gave them her phone number in case there were any problems we could ring her for help. Sounds great! (I have to say that even though they communicated in both Thai and English there were still some misunderstanding in what they actually meant. So if anyone needs to contact them it's safer to have a Thai accompany you to help to explain. Don't presume that they will give you clear information because they themselves don't have a full understanding either. Read on and you will understand why I get frustrated).

So, today they went to the branch close to his home. Brought along tonnes of relevant documents and had full expectations to open a new account. Staff at the branch said they couldn't accept his 'valid', 'current' US passport.  He said the US passport alone can't use to open a bank account unless accompanying with some other proof such as a letter from the US embassy confirming his US citizenship or work permit which at 94 years of age can't be expected to have a work permit. (read attached) He also said he would accept a letter from his Thai wife as a proof ???? He was a divorcee for more than 20 years now. So can't supply that either. They tried for several times to contact the woman at the HQ who offered to help if needed, she simply didn't answer the phones.

I asked (telephoned-in) what he wanted as a proof from the US embassy. He said he would give a list of what required to open this specific bank account for recipients of US government payments. I thought that would be okay, we understood each other, I hung up the phone. As it turned out, he gave a general information on how to open bank accounts, nothing says anywhere that this is a special account that we're after. We only realised that after they left the bank.

Two days, poor old man is exhausted and frustrated. He has appointment with the US embassy next week. Really hope that a letter from the embassy will be sufficient to open this bank account so that he can have all banking details to submit to OPM.

36466.jpg

That letter is now often required - it will cost $50 on a credit card or cash or about 1600 baht from ACS.  He must sign it when there in front of Consular Officer.  You can download blank form

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/affidavit/

Not sure of any proper format but I did one last month as below and Consular Officer signed it. Probably do not need the address and more sure do not need the USA address but trying to cover all possibilities.  

I, JOHN B. DOE, a USA Citizen born on xx xxx xxxx at CITY, STATE, USA and the bearer of USA passport number 123456789 issued at US Department of State on xx xxx xxxx which expires on xx xxx xxxx affirm that I reside at FULL LOCAL ADDRESS and my US address is US ADDRESS.

Earlier in this thread in the handwritten note to OPM he said he had an account with Bangkok Bank.  "If he does" and it's at a branch close to him, then the branch could just convert that account to a direct deposit account (if it not already a direct deposit account).    See below snapshot from the Bangkok Bank website regarding receipt of US govt payments/direct deposit account.   There would be no need to open another account, however, when doing this he would lose the debit card associated with the account as a direct deposit account can not have a debit card and and already known a person must appear in person to withdraw/transfer funds.   The direct deposit account also couldn't be used to make ibanking bill payments.

image.png.82f00c46224bbc9f7e4f0c7b936a2d9e.png

The letter from the US Embassy (the embassy knows what letter is needed) will cost $50.

Additionally, since he hasn't rec'd a payment for 11 months and assuming he been living in Thailand for longer than that and also receiving his OPM payments up till 11 months ago, my question is:  Why did the payments stop? 

OPM would not have stopped them unless the bank started rejecting them.   Bangkok Bank would do that if not being sent to a direct deposit account but they would have spotted that within a month of two of the payment first going to a regular bank account.  Say he had been receiving the payments for 10 years here in Thailand....Bangkok Bank would have started rejecting the OPM/US govt payments long ago if the payments were going to a regular account....no going to a direct deposit account.  And the bank would have sent him a letter telling him such and asking him to come in with a couple of weeks to switch his account to a direct deposit account or the payment would be sent back to OPM. 

Just seems we may be getting the cart before the horse until it determined "why his payments stopped....until he talks to OPM."

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

That letter is now often required - it will cost $50 on a credit card or cash or about 1600 baht from ACS.  He must sign it when there in front of Consular Officer.  You can download blank form

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/affidavit/

Not sure of any proper format but I did one last month as below and Consular Officer signed it. Probably do not need the address and more sure do not need the USA address but trying to cover all possibilities.  

I, JOHN B. DOE, a USA Citizen born on xx xxx xxxx at CITY, STATE, USA and the bearer of USA passport number 123456789 issued at US Department of State on xx xxx xxxx which expires on xx xxx xxxx affirm that I reside at FULL LOCAL ADDRESS and my US address is US ADDRESS.

Thank you. I don't think he has a US address any more. Never went back in the past 30 more years. As you suggest, local address should be sufficient.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Earlier in this thread in the handwritten note to OPM he said he had an account with Bangkok Bank.  "If he does" and it's at a branch close to him, then the branch could just convert that account to a direct deposit account (if it not already a direct deposit account).    See below snapshot from the Bangkok Bank website regarding receipt of US govt payments/direct deposit account.   There would be no need to open another account, however, when doing this he would lose the debit card associated with the account as a direct deposit account can not have a debit card and and already known a person must appear in person to withdraw/transfer funds.   The direct deposit account also couldn't be used to make ibanking bill payments.

image.png.82f00c46224bbc9f7e4f0c7b936a2d9e.png

Would you able to give me a link to this website? Why didn't they say anything about this?

1 hour ago, Pib said:

OPM would not have stopped them unless the bank started rejecting them.   Bangkok Bank would do that if not being sent to a direct deposit account but they would have spotted that within a month of two of the payment first going to a regular bank account.  Say he had been receiving the payments for 10 years here in Thailand....Bangkok Bank would have started rejecting the OPM/US govt payments long ago if the payments were going to a regular account....no going to a direct deposit account.  And the bank would have sent him a letter telling him such and asking him to come in with a couple of weeks to switch his account to a direct deposit account or the payment would be sent back to OPM. 

Not sure if I understand this but I'll copy for him to read.

Just seems we may be getting the cart before the horse until it determined "why his payments stopped....until he talks to OPM."

For unknown reason, despite telling him several times to ring them up, he didn't follow through. Maybe he's afraid of troubling to be transferred to many people,  I don't really know. One thing I do know for sure is he sometimes has troubles making phone calls from mobile phone. Some things like forget to hang up the phone when finish talking.

53 minutes ago, myWish said:

I have only myself to blame for not doing enough research on the matter.

The details of the banking with the Bangkok Bank New York branch is fully explained here.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-US-to-Thailand-via-Bangkok-Bank-NewYork-branch

But not as simple as it may seem as New York will not accept payment in normal ACH format soon (likely June 30) so agency paying must use the International ACH format.  With only his foreign address on file OPM, hopefully, would do so but it seems to be subject to maybe from SS in the past.  Just make sure he points out to use International ACH format for transfers if using the Bangkok Bank New York method (they see New York and assume domestic).  To add to confusion a new direct payment not using New York should be going into operation, already started for Social Security which pays directly in baht to a Thai bank account.  Sorry to add factors but even those with good knowledge are at a loss for specifics right now - and that includes the banks and government agencies.  For now the New York method should work fine.

11 hours ago, myWish said:

For unknown reason, despite telling him several times to ring them up, he didn't follow through. Maybe he's afraid of troubling to be transferred to many people,  I don't really know. One thing I do know for sure is he sometimes has troubles making phone calls from mobile phone. Some things like forget to hang up the phone when finish talking.

Something just sounds missing from the gentleman's story since he was receiving payments up to about 11 months ago....or is he is still receiving payments but it going to another bank account he has.   

I really think it would be best to try to get it absolutely clear with him "what bank account was his OPM payments going to before they stopped?"   Was it another Bangkok Bank account?  Probably not a US bank since he don't seem capable of using computer ibanking and doing monthly transfers from that bank to Thailand bank which would have probably been Bangkok Bank.  

I think it's important to get clarity on which bank his payments were going to before they stopped---if they really stopped....maybe the payments are still going to that other bank account.  This may add clarity to his real situation.  It may turn out he never had the payments going to a bank account....maybe he was getting a check....maybe he has the payments being direct deposited to a "Direct Express" account where he would be using a Direct Express debit card to get money at an ATM.  But a Direct Express account is an expensive way to get funds outside of the US...fine for use within US because it's not expensive to use....but expensive to use outside the US.  Direct Express is a US Treasury program when any type of federal benefit (civil service, military, social security, veteran administration, etc.,) can be sent to a Direct Express account where the beneficiary can then use the debit card to get funds.   Direct Express is primarily used by "unbanked" people....people who just can't get a US bank account for some reason or just don't like using a bank. 

See below Direct Express website for more info.  Please note the costs for use outside the US--expensive....$3 flat fee plus 3% of withdrawal amount...and no reimbursement of Thai bank ATM Bt220 fee.  Example:  If he did a withdrawal say of Bt20K it would cost him in fee Bt220 + Bt600 (the 3%) + $3 (approx Bt96) for a total of Bt916 (approx $28.62)....that works out to approx 4.6% in fees.    But if he used the Direct Express debit card in a US ATM the first withdrawal each month is free...and subsequent withdrawals like 85 cents excluding in ATM use fees.  Yeap....cheap to use in US ATM....but expensive to use in non-US ATM like Thai ATMs.  Not recommended except as a last resort for an unbanked person

Direct Express website/info

https://www.usdirectexpress.com/faq.html

22 minutes ago, Pib said:

I really think it would be best to try to get it absolutely clear with him "what bank account was his OPM payments going to before they stopped?"   Was it another Bangkok Bank account?  Probably not a US bank since he don't seem capable of using computer ibanking and doing monthly transfers from that bank to Thailand bank which would have probably been Bangkok Bank.  

....maybe he was getting a check...

He says he's got his pension from the Bank of America.

He used to show us his kind of paper from the US government payments . I didn't pay much attention then.

Sorry, couldn't be clearer. Honestly, I don't have direct contacts with him, everything passes along through my sister. This is because I live overseas, not in Thailand.

OK...I understand now. Sounds like his OPM payments may be going (or use to go) to BoA and maybe he had an automatic transfer set up with BoA to send a certain amount each month...but for some reason that flow of funds from his US bank has stopped. If so maybe his payments are still going to his US bank but he can no longer access the funds for some reason.

Hope he works thru all of this soon.

8 minutes ago, Pib said:

OK...I understand now. Sounds like his OPM payments may be going (or use to go) to BoA and maybe he had an automatic transfer set up with BoA to send a certain amount each month...but for some reason that flow of funds from his US bank has stopped. If so maybe his payments are still going to his US bank but he can no longer access the funds for some reason.

Hope he works thru all of this soon.

Would appreciate your advice re how to resolve this banking madness.

In this case it seems he should be talking with BOA on Wireless Road (if that is actually the bank he used) or with the US Branch he was using to confirm payments are not sitting in account.  He might have had a transfer agreement to send to the bank here that expired and not be aware of it?  At any rate Bangkok Bank seems to be out of the picture for the missing payments.

Archived