advice urgently needed: US Civil Service Retirement payment

myWish

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

In this case it seems he should be talking with BOA on Wireless Road (if that is actually the bank he used) or with the US Branch he was using to confirm payments are not sitting in account.  He might have had a transfer agreement to send to the bank here that expired and not be aware of it?  At any rate Bangkok Bank seems to be out of the picture for the missing payments.

To add to this confusing matter, he happened to move house which I think around the time his payments had stopped. They might not be able to contact him and/or he forgot to let them know.

Thank you again. I'll let him know to contact BoA where he has account set up, hopefully in Bangkok.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 hours ago, myWish said:

Would appreciate your advice re how to resolve this banking madness.

You sister needs to set down with him and get absolute clarity on his banking situation.  Ask some lawyer type questions....yes, get a little tough with the questions.  When I say clarity on this banking situation, I don't mean trying to open a Bangkok Bank account. I mean figuring out which bank his past payments where going to in the US or here in Thailand---maybe the payments are still going there. 

Heck, his payments may be flowing just fine to that bank account right now and for some reason he can't access the funds....maybe the bank was relaying them automatically and stopped for some reason.  You really need to get clarity on this banking situation.  He may have a pile of past payments building-up in this bank account.  You mentioned he was running low on money....maybe it's not because the OPM is not paying the funds it's just his current bank stopped forwarding them....OR, his mind is not as sharp as you think it is.

You said he hadn't been back to the US in 30 years....I guess that means he's been in Thailand for the last 30 years...must had a bank account in Thailand for money to flow into; otherwise, how was he getting money....or maybe he was using a debit card to get money from an ATM.   Why open another Thai bank account if money has been flowing into a Thai bank account?  And I'll just mention I hope he's been getting his retirement extension renewed every year which means he either being using the income affidavit  from the US Embassy (which is no longer available since late last year) or had Bt800K in the bank each year when renewing.  Otherwise he's probably in overstay status which is a bad thing.

OK, if bank clarity can be obtained resolution of the problem may become apparent...quickly fixed...like maybe the OPM payments are still flowing into it.  Or you may find out he did something like cancel/close his bank account before he opened a new one to have his OPM payments go to which caused the OPM payments to be rejected and then they just suspended them pending him contacting them to clear up the situation.

If it's a US bank then to get some money he needs to contact them (definitely call) to have them SWIFT some funds to him.  Even if he does not have any Thai bank account, you can contact Bangkok Bank and they will provide info as to how to SWIFT funds to them...a special account....then he can come in an get them money.  This is really just used when a person has been able to open an account just yet....but needs the money ASAP.   

Get clarity on this current bank situation...his payments may still be going to a bank...he may have money. If so, work to get some of that money withdrawn by/transferred to him.   Then if another/new bank account is needed for his OPM payments then work that issue.   

Get clarity on this current bank situation....for his own good and your sister needs to be lawyer-like in trying to get the complete story from him.  Once getting this clarity it should help to determine what the next step must be.

I have some direct phone numbers for OPM (answered by humans) but I am currently away from home so not with me. In any case I agree first priority is to figure out the banking situation.

STEP 1: clarify what bank account the money was coming into. Bank of America in Thailand or a BoA account in the US? If account in Thailand, how was that money being sent and by whom? And how did he access it (?debit card? Bank withdrawal? Etc). It will not have been a direct international deposit to BoA Thailand of a US govt pension as IDD for that is just starting up. It will have gone through some US bank...unless he was receiving checks.

STEP 2: clarify with the relevant bank whether the funds have continued to arrive. Depending on whether he was receiving the funds into a Thai or US bank account this may involve a trip to the bank or accessing his account online (which may mean helping him set up an online account).

If the funds have continued to arrive, figure out why he hadn't been able to access them. If they stopped arriving find out when and see if the bank has any idea why.

Once all this has been resolved it will be clear whether ir not there is a need to call OPM.

Where in Thailand does this gentleman live? As one if the Americans on this forum might be willing to go meet him. An in.person discussion between US citizens might get to the bottom of things much more quickly.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, Pib said:

You said he hadn't been back to the US in 30 years....I guess that means he's been in Thailand for the last 30 years...must had a bank account in Thailand for money to flow into; otherwise, how was he getting money....or maybe he was using a debit card to get money from an ATM.   Why open another Thai bank account if money has been flowing into a Thai bank account?  And I'll just mention I hope he's been getting his retirement extension renewed every year which means he either being using the income affidavit  from the US Embassy (which is no longer available since late last year) or had Bt800K in the bank each year when renewing.  Otherwise he's probably in overstay status which is a bad thing.

He has a bangkok bank account. As far as we know he's been using his American Express credit card to pay for most purchases. When he needs cash my sister will usually drive him to the bank but waits outside as to give him privacy.

He has Thai residency status, not overstay.

The more important thing I just learnt from my sister, at one stage he sent late his annual statement, you know what it is called. This may hold the key to all problems I reckon. He will have to fix this when he goes to the US embassy next week.

Get clarity on this current bank situation....for his own good and your sister needs to be lawyer-like in trying to get the complete story from him.  Once getting this clarity it should help to determine what the next step must be.

This is almost impossible as he is very independent and very considerate person. You can tell he wouldn't ask for help unless he really really has to. Also my sister wouldn't ask too much and too detailed questions either.

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

STEP 1: clarify what bank account the money was coming into. Bank of America in Thailand or a BoA account in the US? If account in Thailand, how was that money being sent and by whom? And how did he access it (?debit card? Bank withdrawal? Etc).

He has a bangkok bank account. As far as we know he's been using his American Express credit card to pay for most purchases.

STEP 2: clarify with the relevant bank whether the funds have continued to arrive.

Not possible. The bank will not talking to non-account holders.

An in.person discussion between US citizens might get to the bottom of things much more quickly.

I don't think it's whether or not Americans or Thais, It's his personality that doesn't want to get other people troubles by any means. I even believe that he trusts us more than anyone else. That's why he asked us for help. Sure, Americans will get to the bottom of this mess much quicker because you come from the same background but personal trust will take preference, I believe.

I am confused by the reference to an annual statement.

Are the missing payments a government pension (which would go through OPM) or is it Social Security (which comes from the SSA and had nothing to do with OPM? ) These are entirely different things (and why I suggested having him talk to anothet American...because they'd know that sort of thing and be able to ask questions that would quickly determine what these payments are.).

There is no annual statement for government pension that I know of (and I receive one). With Social Security there is a letter sent every year to verify that ypu are still alive and at the same address and this has to he acknowledged. Could this be what he meant?

Up to now we have all been assuming what was involved was a government pension. If it is Social Security that is a whole other matter and he needs to contact not OPM in the US but the SS office in Manila.

If it is SS payments, they might have been suspended because they did not receive his acknowledgement to the annual letter. In which case he will get all the back payments once it is received.

Pleade clarify this so we can advise further.

Also I don't understand if he had a BB account why did he say the money came from BoA? Does he have a US BoA account that he transferred from?

And why the discussion of opening a BB account if he already has one? Was it an issue of his current BB account not being a direct deposit account?

For a civil service (OPM) pension there is no annual statement/form to send back....like where they send you a form each year for you to sign and send back which confirms you are still alive and kicking.

However, if he's drawing a social security pension the Social Security Agency (SSA) does send a form annually in May/Jun which American expats jokingly refer to as the "Are You Dead or Alive Letter" from SSA.  The pensioner must complete that form and mail it back within approx 60 days..  If SSA don't get it back they will send a followup request a few months later.  If no response to that 2nd request in January they send the pensioner a notice saying his social security payment will be suspended effective for the January benefit which is paid early Feb...or said another way the pensioner will not get a early Feb payment nor any following payments until he contacts the SSA to prove he's still alive and kicking which is done by completing and sending back the Are Your Dead or Alive Letter. 

And since he's using an American Express Credit card which sounds like it probably a US issue credit card, how is he paying his monthly credit card bill?   Must have money in some bank account to pay that...maybe not in full each month but paying something.  And if it's a Thai bank issued American Express credit card, ditto for needing a bank account to be paying from.

Good luck....hope the situation gets fixed soonest.   

Please take the individual along with all the information about his account, to a branch of the bank. Tell the bank what the issue is. Best to have a Thai friend with you because many bank workers really don't know much English as you may think. I trust they will help you as much as they can. I am sorry for thinking the money going to a bank in Thailand.  If not, taking him to the bank is out of realm.  Maybe he was an ATM card to withdraw from an account in the USA. 

If no success at the bank, take the person to the American Embassy with all account information, as well as CSA and SSA. You will need an appointment first.  That can be made online. No matter what the situation is, without an appointment, you will not be seen.

As far as the opm.gov website, you can see the many online services they provide.  If you are not the assigned legal guardian of the individual, don't register and sign in on that site, very serious offense.

I trust you will be successful if you try what i have suggested.  God bless you and the individual you are helping. 

14 minutes ago, Pib said:

For a civil service (OPM) pension there is no annual statement/form to send back....like where they send you a form each year for you to sign and send back which confirms you are still alive and kicking.

However, if he's drawing a social security pension the Social Security Agency (SSA) does send a form annually in May/Jun which American expats jokingly refer to as the "Are You Dead or Alive Letter" from SSA.  The pensioner must complete that form and mail it back within approx 60 days..  If SSA don't get it back they will send a followup request a few months later.  If no response to that 2nd request in January they send the pensioner a notice saying his social security payment will be suspended effective for the January benefit which is paid early Feb...or said another way the pensioner will not get a early Feb payment nor any following payments until he contacts the SSA to prove he's still alive and kicking which is done by completing and sending back the Are Your Dead or Alive Letter. 

And since he's using an American Express Credit card which sounds like it probably a US issue credit card, how is he paying his monthly credit card bill?   Must have money in some bank account to pay that...maybe not in full each month but paying something.  And if it's a Thai bank issued American Express credit card, ditto for needing a bank account to be paying from.

Good luck....hope the situation gets fixed soonest.   

That puzzles me as I never get one. I'm former foreign service, rather than civil service,  but pension comes through OPM as well.  It's been for a few years now and never got such a letter.

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

That puzzles me as I never get one. I'm former foreign service, rather than civil service,  but pension comes through OPM as well.  It's been for a few years now and never got such a letter.

Believe you misread Pib post - OPM no letter (first para) - SS annual letter (second para).

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

There is no annual statement for government pension that I know of (and I receive one). With Social Security there is a letter sent every year to verify that ypu are still alive and at the same address and this has to he acknowledged. Could this be what he meant?

Yes, the letter to verify that the recipient is still living that they send out annually. Sorry for the confusion.

Up to now we have all been assuming what was involved was a government pension. If it is Social Security that is a whole other matter and he needs to contact not OPM in the US but the SS office in Manila.

Pleade clarify this so we can advise further.

I can confirm this is about OPM and not SS. I've seen his US govt entitlement card and details.

Also I don't understand if he had a BB account why did he say the money came from BoA? Does he have a US BoA account that he transferred from?

And why the discussion of opening a BB account if he already has one? Was it an issue of his current BB account not being a direct deposit account?

That's correct. His D/D account is not being established yet. He only has a saving account.

If I haven't answered any of your questions, it only means that I don't have answers, at least not now.

He has D/D paperwork set up and has an appointment with the embassy next week. Then we plan to fax through his banking details, a request of OPM payments to OPM in the States.

Trust I can announce good news next week.

Thank you everyone. This is way beyond my expectation.

13 minutes ago, myWish said:

I can confirm this is about OPM and not SS. I've seen his US govt entitlement card and details.

As we have said OPM does not send any are you alive letter.  That part has to be about Social Security (he may indeed get both).

Your US friend informed OPM by letter that he wants his OPM annuity to go to his Bangkok Bank account. As you reported, signing up for a Bangkok Bank direct deposit account is now being worked. Excellent.

It’s not unusual for a local Bangkok Bank branch (or any named bank branch) to not be overly familiar with established rules. I earlier alluded to local branch challenges which is why it’s typically best to visit HQ Bangkok Bank first (when possible). Your friend did that. The advice I also gave was that your friend would need to bring his US passport AND the OPM benefits award letter (or other proof from OPM that he's receiving annuitant benefits). I also recommended to phone ahead and ask if further information is required. Unsurprisingly, when he subsequently visited his local branch, staff confusion reigned.

Was an appropriate OPM document one of the "tonnes of relevant documents"? You haven’t definitively said if bank branch staff accepted one of those documents BUT ALSO wants an additional letter (affidavit) notarized by the US embassy? Also, what precise information does branch staff require to be in an affidavit? It’s clearly not fair for a bank branch to make someone guess the requirement. Of course, if your friend doesn’t possess an OPM document that they’ll accept then he most certainly would need to comply with one of the other criteria in paragraph 2, like an affidavit.

Due to the 1 April 2019 NACHA rules change governing direct deposit to Bangkok Bank (and certain other overseas banks), if paragraph 3 in your attached requirements list is being enforced by the local bank branch, I would also ask what address proof that branch is willing to accept. Sometimes a local branch will accept a rental/lease agreement copy or a TM.30 Address Notification that’s stapled in the passport (if one was done). Again, ask. And, don’t hesitate to highlight your friend’s age and reduced mobility when seeking bank staff cooperation. I’ll take a compassionate response any day that helps ease the process.

The Bangkok Bank website about their direct deposit service is poorly worded and misleading. Bangkok Bank direct deposit accounts are numbered differently than traditional savings accounts. A traditional savings account cannot be “converted” to a direct deposit account. In other words, in the bank’s internal system an existing account cannot simply be recoded from one type to another. Again, a direct deposit account uses a different numbering convention.

Being that direct deposit signup with Bangkok Bank is now being worked and Bangkok Bank has seemingly been ruled out as a possible root cause for pay non-receipt, as others have reiterated, start peeling back the onion layers. For example, failure to submit an address change is indeed a leading cause of a bank blocking account access and/or benefits pay suspension. Your friend may possibly have separate issues to sort with BoA and OPM. With that said, does the partial OPM document you posted earlier contain your friend’s present correspondence address? Is local mail delivery service to his address reliable?

Keep in mind that IF your friend does phone OPM, phone wait times next week may be longer around the 1 May pay date. It’s also best to phone when OPM first opens before people in the other US time zones start waking up and also phone. It’s acceptable for an assistant to also be on the phone line with an annuitant when a benefits agency is called. As Sheryl stated, your friend would first need to answer a few security-related questions asked by OPM. I’ve been on the phone with annuitants numerous times. Once an annuitant correctly answers security questions posed by the benefits agency, reps have always been engaging and helpful. The same with banks.

Your US friend is trying to navigate a foreign bureaucracy that oftentimes requires multiple visits, involves plenty of confusion, and calls for maximum patience. If your friend changes his mind about letting others help him my initial offer of free assistance still stands. Reliable monthly cash flow needs to be restarted as quickly as possible. It sounds like you're on the right path.

Was an appropriate OPM document one of the "tonnes of relevant documents"? You haven’t definitively said if bank branch staff accepted one of those documents BUT ALSO wants an additional letter (affidavit) notarized by the US embassy? Also, what precise information does branch staff require to be in an affidavit?

Yes, an OPM doc was one of those 'tonnes of relevant documents'.

Yes, the bank requires an affidavit from the embassy to confirm he is a US citizen.

I would also ask what address proof that branch is willing to accept.

He is a long time customer of this branch. probably 30 + years. So it's been established long time ago.

The Bangkok Bank website about their direct deposit service is poorly worded and misleading. Bangkok Bank direct deposit accounts are numbered differently than traditional savings accounts. A traditional savings account cannot be “converted” to a direct deposit account.

I think that's ok because he is going to open D/D account anyway.

With that said, does the partial OPM document you posted earlier contain your friend’s present correspondence address?

It only say his entitlement and name, no address.

IF your friend does phone OPM, phone wait times next week may be longer around the 1 May pay date.

Thanks for a heads up. However I don't think he will make phone call.

If your friend changes his mind about letting others help him my initial offer of free assistance still stands.

Thank you. I'll keep that in mind.

It is still unclear how he was previously teceiving this money and why it stopped. Without thay info srtting up a nrw DD may not work.

He wsd not previoysly getting it as a direct deposit into his Thai BB acvount because that did not exist until this month. So he must have either:

1. Been getting it directly feposited into a US bank acvount and having monthly SWIFT transfers done from it. OR

2. Having it directly deposited to Bangkok Bank in NY from whete it was trsnsferted to his Thai BB account via ACH transfer. This should not have been allowed with a regular savings account but possible the branch made a mistake and allowed it. In which case they may have started to tefuse the transfer when they tealuzed the error. OR

3. He wad getting checks and quite possible that option stopped and he failed to sign up for DD

Makes a difference which it was as different implications for what became of his funds. He needs to not only get the payments resumed but also get the back funds. If #3 was the case then simply enrolling in DD (opening bank acct & sending the necessary paperwork to OPM) might suffice. But if #2 OPM may have suspended his payments for security reasond and it may be necessary for him to call them to re-establish.

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

3. He wad getting checks and quite possible that option stopped and he failed to sign up for DD

Makes a difference which it was as different implications for what became of his funds. He needs to not only get the payments resumed but also get the back funds. If #3 was the case then simply enrolling in DD (opening bank acct & sending the necessary paperwork to OPM) might suffice. But if #2 OPM may have suspended his payments for security reasond and it may be necessary for him to call them to re-establish.

I think this is the most likely cause of troubles. He said he was getting payments through Bank of America. Don't know how the fund got transferred (if it ever got transferred) to his BB. He used to show us a few years ago his 'paper' US gov payments, I presumed this was a cheque as it wasn't banknote. He pays for most purchases with his American Express credit card. He goes to Bangkok Bank to withdraw cash. That's all we know about his finance. We very hesitate to ask, there are lines not to cross when it comes to friendships.

The best method I can think of is to make suggestions to him to write down before he appears at the embassy next week the finance trails starts from how the payments (OPM and SS) went to which institutions (Bank of America? in Thailand or US?) and how this fund got transferred into BB. So he needs to explain to the embassy (and I hope they will help him rectify the issues) what happened and how to re-establish and get back the payments.

I am heartened to see the assistance from so many people offered to this person attempting to assist an older person.

Sheryl and so many others have given detailed responses to complex questions, to assist the OP.

Congratulations to you all

I hope this has a good resolution

As I understand it, the local bank branch accepted the US passport and OPM evidence, didn’t misapply the proof of address rules, and added "confirmation of US citizenship" as a requirement.

“Yes, the bank requires an affidavit from the embassy to confirm he is a US citizen.”

Thinking this through a bit further, I recommend asking local branch staff to confirm with their HQ if “confirming US citizenship” is actually  a bank-wide requirement to open a direct deposit account. It’s possible they may have misinterpreted the rules (or imposed their own rule).

If the local branch still requires citizenship confirmation, ask them what specific evidence they require. Is the branch requiring a “Certified True Copy of a US Passport” but don’t know its correct name? Or will they accept a sworn affidavit (written by your friend) notarized by a consular officer? The embassy does not provide any type of standard-issue “confirmation of US citizenship” letter. Your friend will need the answer to properly prepare for his ACS appointment.

13 hours ago, myWish said:

I think this is the most likely cause of troubles. He said he was getting payments through Bank of America. Don't know how the fund got transferred (if it ever got transferred) to his BB. He used to show us a few years ago his 'paper' US gov payments, I presumed this was a cheque as it wasn't banknote. He pays for most purchases with his American Express credit card. He goes to Bangkok Bank to withdraw cash. That's all we know about his finance. We very hesitate to ask, there are lines not to cross when it comes to friendships.

The best method I can think of is to make suggestions to him to write down before he appears at the embassy next week the finance trails starts from how the payments (OPM and SS) went to which institutions (Bank of America? in Thailand or US?) and how this fund got transferred into BB. So he needs to explain to the embassy (and I hope they will help him rectify the issues) what happened and how to re-establish and get back the payments.

ACS staff is unable to fully sort your friend’s pay and personal banking issues. That’s not a provided service. However, ACS may ask your friend if he would like assistance from a Civilian Liaison Volunteer (CLV). If yes, ACS will ask the area CLVs if one would assist. Hopefully, one would agree to help. To properly assist, your friend would need to be fully forthcoming with all known, relevant case information.

If the local bank branch insists on a “letter” from the US Embassy, ACS-BKK reiterated this morning for the gentleman to use a Blank Affidavit to write a statement: https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/blank-affidavit-bangkok-january-2019.pdf

Unless the bank branch has specific information requirements, the suggested information in Post #50 by Lopburi3 is excellent (I concur that a US address isn't necessary to include).

OP - It would be ideal if your sister could type it up for the US gentleman and remind him that he has to sign in front of a consular officer at ACS, and not beforehand. I personally always bring a back-up second copy of an affidavit in case the first one is mishandled (it's happened). ACS has blank affidavits if your friend wishes to hand write it at ACS.

19 hours ago, Neocon said:

If the local branch still requires citizenship confirmation, ask them what specific evidence they require. Is the branch requiring a “Certified True Copy of a US Passport” but don’t know its correct name? Or will they accept a sworn affidavit (written by your friend) notarized by a consular officer? The embassy does not provide any type of standard-issue “confirmation of US citizenship” letter. Your friend will need the answer to properly prepare for his ACS appointment.

I actually talked to the BB staff and he insisted to have a document from the embassy confirming his citizenship.

On 4/26/2019 at 7:06 PM, lopburi3 said:

That letter is now often required - it will cost $50 on a credit card or cash or about 1600 baht from ACS.  He must sign it when there in front of Consular Officer.  You can download blank form

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/affidavit/

Not sure of any proper format but I did one last month as below and Consular Officer signed it. Probably do not need the address and more sure do not need the USA address but trying to cover all possibilities.  

I, JOHN B. DOE, a USA Citizen born on xx xxx xxxx at CITY, STATE, USA and the bearer of USA passport number 123456789 issued at US Department of State on xx xxx xxxx which expires on xx xxx xxxx affirm that I reside at FULL LOCAL ADDRESS and my US address is US ADDRESS.

Did the embassy come up with above wording....print it on the affidavit...or did you think-up that wording and hand write it on the affidavit?     I've always been told when going to the embassy and asking for a letter needed to open a Thai bank account they know exactly what to give you.  

5 hours ago, Neocon said:

If the local bank branch insists on a “letter” from the US Embassy, ACS-BKK reiterated this morning for the gentleman to use a Blank Affidavit to write a statement: https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/blank-affidavit-bangkok-january-2019.pdf

Unless the bank branch has specific information requirements, the suggested information in Post #50 by Lopburi3 is excellent (I concur that a US address isn't necessary to include).

I have downloaded the form last week and copied what Lopburi3 had suggested every word except the US address. Thanks Lopburi3, really grateful.

10 minutes ago, Pib said:

Did the embassy come up with above wording....print it on the affidavit...or did you think-up that wording and hand write it on the affidavit?     I've always been told when going to the embassy and asking for a letter needed to open a Thai bank account they know exactly what to give you.  

I downloaded form and used my normal Foxit Reader PDF software (believe typed out in Notepad and pasted rather than using typewriter however).  Tried to use wording as was normal for income letters and add additional information that I have seen requested by various bank offices.  Was asked by consul what I intended to use for and said bank account opening and she seemed to accept it would work.  

OK...thanks.  I'm sure many people go to the embassy to get a "to open a Thai bank account" letter and I would think the embassy would provide the necessary wording either pre-printed on an affidavit or they tell you to hand write in words so-and-so....then they add their magic $50 seal.   But going in with your own words works fine....the embassy still get their $50.  

This whole thing where Thai banks ask for a letter from your home country embassy is probably focused towards preventing farangs from opening bank accounts who are just passing thru Thailand, coming for short/periodic vacations, seem suspicious, etc., and then letting the account go dormant with only a few baht in it.  Sure it might help a little to stop people with fake passports but if told you need to make an appointment at the embassy which would probably be a week or so down the road and then pay $50 for a simple letter that's usually enough to make most people just forget about opening a bank account unless they really need the account.   So far I've never needed to provide an embassy letter to open a Thai bank account....and I've opened probably around 10 over the last decade....some regular savings accounts I still have....some fixed savings accounts that matured that I later closed.   During those accounts opening several bank reps started down the road of, Well, you need a work permit..or an embassy letter.....but once I showed them my Yellow Book they said fine....continued to open the account.  Now it's been around 2 years since I opened my last regular savings account at Bangkok Bank (no embassy letter requested)...a joint account with the wife, so maybe Bangkok Bank is "now" more hardline in requiring an embassy letter although we still see plenty of posts in related banking topic where people open accounts with no embassy letter required.  All depends on the branch and how the planets are aligned I guess....TIT....preaching to the choir I know.

Edit: didn't myWish say earlier the gentleman had Permanent Residency? If so, he don't need an embassy letter...pretty much treated like a Thai citizen for opening a bank account.  Would hate to see him fork out $50 for a letter requested just to feed the bank bureaucracy. 

image.png.cc29c6ca2e411a7f5984a90718d2db61.png

3 hours ago, Pib said:

Edit: didn't myWish say earlier the gentleman had Permanent Residency? If so, he don't need an embassy letter...pretty much treated like a Thai citizen for opening a bank account.  Would hate to see him fork out $50 for a letter requested just to feed the bank bureaucracy. 

image.png.cc29c6ca2e411a7f5984a90718d2db61.png

Correct. He has a Thailand residency status. He has well established bank account for, I guess, three decades with this same branch. Everyone knows him, even the guy who demanded to see an Embassy confirmation knew him as soon as he stepped his foot in. And even my friend showed documents related to the US pension payments from US government and US passport, still not satisfied.

What can I say? ????

19 hours ago, myWish said:

Correct. He has a Thailand residency status. He has well established bank account for, I guess, three decades with this same branch. Everyone knows him, even the guy who demanded to see an Embassy confirmation knew him as soon as he stepped his foot in. And even my friend showed documents related to the US pension payments from US government and US passport, still not satisfied.

What can I say? ????

They may want the letter from US Embassy because he is requesting a direct deposit account for a US citizen and therefore want the confirmation from US Embassy.  He needs to disclose his BofA info such as account number, location(US or Bangkok) routing number ect. I aslo have BofA account in USA and had half of my pension from OPM direct deposited there and half my pension deposited as a savings allotment deposited to Bangkok Bank thru their NY office.  He may have been getting paid by both Social Security and OPM. BofA may have stopped sending his payments if he had no online or personal contact with him after a while because of his age (wanting to know if he was still alive). He needs to check with BofA and find out what the status of that account is. If his money is there (past payments) they can wire his funds to his Bangkok Bank here and then can make arrangements to do monthly transfers from OPM or SS. He still needs to check if he is getting both SS and OPM. Some older retired Gov/Military get both.  Another thing not mentioned could these people that MyWish said scammed him out of cash 20 years ago or similar person gotten his banking info and had his payments redirected to their account? All these scenarios need be checked, I know complicated situation but first need to know why BofA stopped payments and if he is supposed to receive SS and OPM and where they are going. Can PM me if need any other info or need any personal help. My wife will be back in BKK Thursday and she speaks perfect English and I am sure she would go with me to meet up with him and your sister or another TV member to assist him.

Archived