Anyone has experience build new home in Thailand but still living abroad during the construction time ?

My wife and I have been property developers for 25 years in Thailand. As a result we know the details of building and have seen most every trick in the book.  As many posters have said don’t do this.  I promise you will regret it.  Even when you are present in Thailand the game is played.  At a distance you are doomed.  The cheating is subtle.  Things like changing the grade of cement, using cheap wire for the electric, different grade and size of pipe for the plumbing etc.  Then you have the normal Thai reluctance to put any thought into the work being done ... expect your tiles and granite to line up, the colors you chose to be used etc ... forget it.  Also even if you have somebody you “trust” (the worst being a relative) does that person know enough about building to even know when you are being cheated?  Will that person really be immune to being offered money to look the other way (no they won’t)?  Wait until you are resident here and plan to buy all materials yourself, be at the work site every day, have a very clear progress payment plan.  Oh, BTW the contractors will lowball to get the job - expecting to make a profit by cheating you.  If they are not happy with the cash flow they just walk away from the job.  Then you find a contractor to puck up the job but guess what, every problem they encounter was the fault of the work fine by the previous company.  It’s endless, don’t do it.

Yep, I'll go with the general consensus, don't do it, it'll only end in tears & you being broke.

I'd just like to comment that I have a friend who works back in the UK, he is having a house built t'up North, he only gets work done on the house while he is here, which is only a couple of months a year, you can get quite a bit done in 8 weeks flat out, the roof is on, the doors and windows installed, so the next stage will all be cosmetic painting outside, inside, light fittings - you get the picture.

Good luck AMichigan ???? 

We built our house while we lived overseas.

The sister-in-law would supervise as she lived around the corner and would send us photos at every stage, footings, cement pouring etc etc, we would return every 3 months for a year until we moved here, the house only had the roof tiles to go on, rendering in and out, fixing of the windows and doors to lock up stage and then the internals would start.

We had a one bedroom bungalow at the back which we extended forward by 3 metres from the external verandah which was 3 metres wide already so its actually a 6 metre wide extension after the roof of the verandah was removed to incorporate the house.

We lived in the bungalow during the final stages of the house which took about another 6 months to complete, so the overall build was a year and a half, it was built by two guys only, they brought in a crew to do the rendering, house is 300 plus square metres over a single level, hence the reason it took so long to complete.

It is doable, but you have to have someone on site at every stage and make sure the builder understands that he will not get a payment if you do not get pics from the person you get to inspect at every stage, and make sure your progress payments do not turn out to forward payments, i.e. stick your progress plan, usually 5 stages, footings, plumbing, electricals, bricklaying, roof frame, lock up, so 20% at a time and your almost there.

All materials were purchased before hand and delivered on site, what needed to be stored undercover was done so in the bungalow.

It also pays to know the builder and his work, e.g. previous homes he has built so you can inspect the quality.

We still employ the same guy to do work on the house he built us as we have been really happy with his quality of work, however I will say this, as the years go by, his quality is starting to slip as he ages and is drinking more heavily, still, his work and prices are better than most around the villages and he does listen when I say, add an extra support beam, even when it doesn't need it.

Make sure your knowledge on pricing is up to scratch, because I have hear of a couple of farangs paying big money to build as their partners or relatives, get a kick back from the builder or hardware, so don't be a mug, just saying.

Happy building ????

First our home is in rural Thailand

We didn't choose to build a mansion, I had already explained to my wife, big house, big clean up every day! Too much wasted effort and time. Thank fully she agreed we would build a small home.

My wife runs our Thai finances so saved any discussion on what we could and could not afford.

When my wife decided finances allowed, it was time to build.

The build was almost a family/village project, most of the workers were family or friends.

I discussed with my wife a few things, kitchen outside, gravity shower, were my two contributions.

When things such as windows, doors etc were to purchase I went with the choice of my wife and friends, in short I just confirmed I was happy with whatever they were doing.

Took a month or so to complete, met our requirements for a home.

For the cost, I was very impressed.

The beauty is we are happy making minor additions as we go - the kitchen is now enclosed but an addition to rather than part of the main house so no smells leaking into the living area, still retain the outside BBQ/Thai cooking area. Where there were some Thai style slats originally, we have replaced with windows. An enjoyable on going project

My brother in law, my wife and I sealed the concrete and painted the house outside and in, any additional work is done by my brother in law and his wife, (the sister of my wife) and their son 300 baht an hour and we buy the materials ???? Excepting electrics an electrician every time.

I guess it all boils down to level of expectation, and that only too rare personality trait displayed in Farang, the ability to go with the flow.

I didn't expect a show house, I expected a modest functional home, as it turns out blends into the Thai landscape, does not scream out 'Farang lives here' - happy happy happy ????

Enjoy spending a little to gain a lot of satisfaction1239976977_Smallhouse21March2015.jpg.3d9173ae36c76d3d40a05bc617a8ff60.jpg

This is such a true post it should be pinned: "My wife and I have been property developers for 25 years in Thailand. As a result we know the details of building and have seen most every trick in the book.  As many posters have said don’t do this.  I promise you will regret it.  Even when you are present in Thailand the game is played.  At a distance you are doomed.  The cheating is subtle.  Things like changing the grade of cement, using cheap wire for the electric, different grade and size of pipe for the plumbing etc.  Then you have the normal Thai reluctance to put any thought into the work being done ... expect your tiles and granite to line up, the colors you chose to be used etc ... forget it.  Also even if you have somebody you “trust” (the worst being a relative) does that person know enough about building to even know when you are being cheated?  Will that person really be immune to being offered money to look the other way (no they won’t)?  Wait until you are resident here and plan to buy all materials yourself, be at the work site every day, have a very clear progress payment plan.  Oh, BTW the contractors will lowball to get the job - expecting to make a profit by cheating you.  If they are not happy with the cash flow they just walk away from the job.  Then you find a contractor to puck up the job but guess what, every problem they encounter was the fault of the work fine by the previous company.  It’s endless, don’t do it."

Don't do it! You can give the builder clear instructions written in Thai, provide them with drawings - anything you like, they will do what they want.  You'll end up a nervous wreck. Either be there of employ a good western project manager - you might not like the cost but you will actually save money in the long run and you'll get things done how you want. Where do you intend building? I may be able to recommend someone.

I do have experience of a friend that was having a house built whilst he was in the US. His girlfriend was overseeing the works but before too much progress was made he unfortunately passed away.

The builder, who we both knew said they couldn't finish the house to the size and spec that was wanted, so they offered to build a smaller , lower spec unit on the same plot from the "advance" they got for his girlfriend.

Not sure the builder made any money out of it but they did the right thing.

For your specific issue I would not recommend it. Spend your time for now getting the design complete and figuring out the type of finishes you want. I would wait until you are on site 100% of the time before construction starts. It helps with any build issues the builder might have too. ie you can direct them the way that you want the problem fixed and not their interpretation of what will do. I'd also want to get at least 3 quotes. To take the risk out of getting done on finishes, get the quotes for labour and supply / install bulk material installation , with labour included for installing the finishes which you would supply free issue to the contractor by you, based on his material take off. Be very clear on what's in his scope and what's in yours.

For the price of a house build its worth renting somewhere for 6 months just to be on site during the build. 

20 hours ago, villagefarang said:

We were onsite everyday when we built and there were things which needed to be handled nearly daily.

Yes, you need to supervise every minute of every day. If they can steal tools or supplies, if they can do deals with suppliers to overcharge you & pocket the difference, they will.

I had my house built 11 years ago before I moved here absolutely no problems. 

3 bedroom detached 2 floors

Basically it's all down to trust.

I paid nothing until I saw the build after 4 months.

The rest upon completion. 

You have to be lucky to have a partner who you can leave instructions to and get them carried out.

Can be done...BUT my very capable, educated and trusted GF lived onsite nearly the entire 3 months. She also designed the house, ordered all the materials, doled out the money and cracked the whip. She was The Boss. She even had to fire...at my behest...our appointed foreman. When she wasn't there, she was constantly on the phone with the new foreman. If you do not have someone trusted and extremely capable, I would say...NO. Not a chance. Impossible. Below is her exterior design and the near finished result. (the interior is also exactly as she designed)

My biggest worry (after completion) was water leaks and/or roof leaks. Earlier this month we had a MONSTER wind and rain storm that lasted for a couple hours. I was home alone and kept going from room to room looking for water. Happy to report...not a drop of water anywhere. The very next day another, not quite so severe thunderstorm. Again, not a drop of water. :thumbsup:

1533599698735.jpg.45906f1d74f4da722e773f1e22120dcb.jpg

PSX_20190125_080228.thumb.jpg.0466f2003cccca96e508b568d1e4a2cf.jpg

PSX_20190125_080325.thumb.jpg.4df2ff7fb65beca69cde62f8d5d3136d.jpg

Thank you everyone for your replies. I'm very appreciated it.

How about if we hire a local company to build ? I myself is a native Phatthalung (the south of Thailand) woman. But I live in Michigan with my husband  and a son. Has anyone have experience to hire a builder company who build houses where we can check references ?? Does the company hire labor men/women by themselves ? Can they give us quote and guarantee price, time frame and quality of the house? Do those companies exist in Thailand? I really want to build this home because my parents are getting older and I want them to be able to live comfortably and for us to spend time with them and live comfortably while visiting.

Thank you.

AJ

We bought our house 2005. You picked the spot you wanted on the Mobaan map and they started really building it up once you paid the deposit, then you had some stage payments and the final bit when finished.

We have a very good friend who is a former Chief Planning Officer. He looked round various Mobaan's with us and helped picked a good one. He was able to "drop buy" regularly and the executives of the building company and site management all new who he was. That helps a lot if you know someone like this.

My wife had taught at a private school just down the road and one of her former colleagues and her husband also used to drop by regularly.

It's really useful if you have friends like this.

43 minutes ago, AMichigan said:

How about if we hire a local company to build ? I myself is a native Phatthalung (the south of Thailand) woman. But I live in Michigan with my husband  and a son. Has anyone have experience to hire a builder company who build houses where we can check references ?? Does the company hire labor men/women by themselves ? Can they give us quote and guarantee price, time frame and quality of the house? Do those companies exist in Thailand? I really want to build this home because my parents are getting older and I want them to be able to live comfortably and for us to spend time with them and live comfortably while visiting.

Thank you.

AJ

If you have land and want to build a house on it, rather than buying in a Mobaan development, then you need to choose carefully.

We have one local builder to us who we use for all are extensions, alterations and general work. Excellent Master Builder with a first rate small team that never changes. We've used him now for over 12 years. You need to find someone like this. To be fair, was the same in the UK. Very good ones about but also some right numpties and cowboys. 

Choose carefully; check reputation and references and remember if it looks to cheap, there's usually a reason!

7 hours ago, worrab said:

No way. Far too big a risk. Even with good builders there are things that can go wrong. When I had mine built even with very good drawings, twice I had to pick them up on misreading them. Would have been a massive problem if I had not been there. Too big a gamble for you even with the best will in the world. Go with the majority of posters on this subject. Don't do it!!! 

... even with very good drawings, twice I had to pick them up on misreading them. ...

My son bought land and house in a new moo bann, buyers had the option to, increase the overall size etc.,  as long as it was within proper building standards. My son increased the overall size. moved walls to that he could have a big internal western style kitchen. Eventually the builder said he was concerned he misunderstood the drawings, extra 3 phase wiring, many extra power points, 2 points for water and drainage;  he asked 'this is for a kitchen; it's way too big, waste of space' etc. Son had to insist that it be built to his drawings. Months after the building was completed a kitchen company completed the white cabinets black marble tops and installed  a black glass hob, exhaust fan, oven, double ink, big fridge, big micro-wave etc. The original builder looked at all of this and took numerous photos. His brochures for his next moo baan featured the same photos and (from some feedback) was a strong selling feature.  

24 minutes ago, scorecard said:

... even with very good drawings, twice I had to pick them up on misreading them. ...

My son bought land and house in a new moo bann, buyers had the option to, increase the overall size etc.,  as long as it was within proper building standards. My son increased the overall size. moved walls to that he could have a big internal western style kitchen. Eventually the builder said he was concerned he misunderstood the drawings, extra 3 phase wiring, many extra power points, 2 points for water and drainage;  he asked 'this is for a kitchen; it's way too big, waste of space' etc. Son had to insist that it be built to his drawings. Months after the building was completed a kitchen company completed the white cabinets black marble tops and installed  a black glass hob, exhaust fan, oven, double ink, big fridge, big micro-wave etc. The original builder looked at all of this and took numerous photos. His brochures for his next moo baan featured the same photos and (from some feedback) was a strong selling feature.  

Yes, one of the problems that arises regularly is simple ignorance of how a 'Western' house looks and functions.

For example, If you have builders or workmen who have only ever washed themselves by crouching down with a hose in the out-back dunny, then you may get the problem of leaks around a 'Western' shower because they haven't understood that a falang stands up to shower so water travels much further. I encountered that living in The Trendy building in BKK a few years ago on the 9th or so floor, where the shower was over the bath ... but no provision for the water spilt around the bath to run into the bath rather than across the bathroom floor.

Similarly, little understanding of the need for so many electric power points in the kitchen, or indeed anywhere. And they often end up in strange places (like near the ceiling).

Then there's the weird logic problem. Took 3 goes in our kitchen to get the marble bench top at the right height. Never occurred to the workers that, to accommodate the dishwasher, they could always lower the (concrete) floor under the dishwasher, rather than make the  bench so high it was unusable by a small Thai and difficult to use by a falang.

Having done what you are thinking of doing I probably would err on side of caution for all the comments mentioned above... but it's not impossible. Ideally you should be on site but that wasn't possible for me given the circumstances and it was a trade off between waiting 3 years or living with the extra costs for having the project delivered. Life is rarely ideal. I got detailed plans done for everything from the building side and to be fair all the various builders and contractors have done a 95% job, which is pretty good in my experience. If you get the build and electrical work right then for things such as kitchens and bedroom fitouts then get top suppliers and fitters. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to give recommendations but after absolute frustration with some of the big stores, and by pure chance, I stumbled upon DKBB who have offices/design centre in Bangkok and Udon. Absolutely brilliant in every way, quality, design, patience with me, not just selling units. Fitters are exceptional. In truth they were so good it removed from my mind all the other hundreds of frustrations of the rest of the project that had to be dealt with.

As others have said you need someone daily who is tenacious and qualified, if you are only available now and then. What ever their rate is double it as a bonus at the end of the project(or 3 months after moving in) if it is done correctly. It's worth every satang if it takes the pain away.

Trust No one in Thailand. 

Think long and hard before you commit to building.

Ask architect for BOQ. Specify desired product quality. 

Architect can help you prepare construction contract. 

Before paying anything, Ask Architect to inspect and approve each stage of construction. 

Personally I wouldn't live in the same location as my thai partner's relatives including in-laws 

Read thaivisa, DON'T SPEND MORE THAN YOU ARE WILLING TO WALK AWAY FROM. 

Nothing Last Forever. 

On 4/21/2019 at 10:04 AM, Kenny202 said:

Word to the wise. As someone else stated be very careful about what they do with your water supply. They have no clue here at all. Last home I was involved in had indoor waterfalls coming up from the slab when they first connected the water. Not only is that cheap blue plastic pipe not pressure rated they do not clean any of the joints before glueing. It will fail within 2 years and thats only if you are lucky. The blue pipe is ok for crappy mains pressure and if run around outside of the house as they used to do. These days they are running it under slabs etc and will not sustain the pressure from a pump for any length of time.

You really should get your facts right before dishing out misinformation.

The blue pipe comes in 3 pressure ratings, 5 bar, 8.5 bar and 13 bar. It is like any other line of work, wrong materials and poor workmanship will lead to premature failure. Do the job properly and there will be little problem.

On 4/21/2019 at 7:03 AM, AMichigan said:

Thank you.

AJ

My wife is also from Phatthalung. Early in our marriage she had a small one room bungalow with a bathroom built in the back of her parents' house for us to use when we visited them. She was onsite during the entire 3 month process. Her brother is educated in construction and he reviewed the builders' work every evening. The workers were local family and friends being that the location is in a small village about 15 km from downtown Phatthalung. My wife selected and purchased all of the materials. It turned out well enough for such a small job. I do remember him having to tell them that they put the roof tiles on wrong and that they needed to redo the roof.

I don't know if there are any local companies that can build a house in Phatthalung. I don't remember seeing any moo bans built by a single construction company there. That may have changed recently. My brother-in-law now works for the local government department responsible for reviewing and approving building plans. I can have my wife ask him if there are local building companies there and if he would recommend any if they exist.

I’m not recommending a remote build but there,s a thread from last year by a chap who was working NY NY with just occasional visits.

He got a successful result, but he was very experienced, worked on hgh rises, was smart , had a smart wife, and worked out a system of communication and photo feedback which were essential to the success.

He also paid more than necessary knowingly as he was earning good money and it helped avoid any corners cutting. You may not wish to do that.

His name was Sirineou if u wish to search.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 4/30/2019 at 8:49 AM, AMichigan said:

Thanks donx for your information. I'm from Khuan Khanun (about 17 kms from Phatthalung downtown). Which moo ban is your wife from ? 

AJ

My wife is from T. NaNote in A. Mueang.

I had our house build while I was not there for the most part , and with some minor difficulties we had no problems. 

But I would not recommend it for everyone. 

I had several advantages that worked in my favor.

First , I am a construction professional, working for a large High Rise construction  company in NY. My specialty is concrete forms, and I am proficient in cad.

I was lucky to have found a builder who was also a construction egghead , also proficient in CAD , and we were able to collaborate fine design points via sketchup on a daily basis. Our agreement was that he would take detailed pictures of every step ,send them to me via Line, I would review them , Make comments, and if needed make CAD corrections so he can see , exactly what I need done.

Also my wife was there every day, also took pictures every day, But we also communicated live via Line and I was able to see what was done and react in a timely manner. 

The Builder TC House Khon Kaen was as professional as one can hope for in Thailand .

I had an issue with the kitchen window opening  placement

image.png.a2f0c59215c37a97709d6c696ed82ff0.png

if the window was that close to the wall the wall cabinets would had being sticking in front of the window, So I replies with this and some other sketches that showed them where the window opening should be .

image.png.7bb1866c8b567c8834fe04274f947b6b.png

We also had changed the length of the house to make the balcony 1m wider. They had made a small miscalculation that made the stair opening smaller than desired. I responded with the following suggestion removing the angle of the inside of the columns to make the opening bigger

image.png.d5496621c42424a79344521bc0be59da.png

My wife chose all the finishing material, such as doors , cabinets tiles etc, and except for the front doors that after a year cracked because the people that made the doors did not use properly cured wood, everything worked out perfect.

So in conclusion, if you are proficient in the building  process and communications, have a builder who is professional and  with whom you can communicate, and a supportive wife, I can be done. Pm me with any questions.

Archived