Jump to content
BANGKOK 22 May 2019 06:28
Huayrat

Advice on Notebook for child 10k range

Recommended Posts

Looking to buy a Norebook for a child to do her homework on must be a decent speed and around 10k or a little bit more.. 

Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might want to spend another 10k to get a decent one. Else do consider used ones around 10k, their specs are much better than new ones at that price range.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At 10,900 baht, this is about as good as you can get right now...

But, you'll have to install the operating system yourself. (Easy to do.)

laptop.png.62751e1a2d3d5eb7841685190618aa50.png

AMD FX-9800P 2.7GHz
Graphics AMD Radeon R7
Display Screen 15.6"
Memory = 8GB DDR4 
Hard drive = 1TB 5400RPM
Optical Disk Drive
VGA Web Camera
Headphone-out & Audio-in Combo Jack
Network    10/100/1000 LAN
Wireless 802.11AC
Bluetooth 4.1
Port    1 x HDMI 
1 x VGA Port (D-Sub) 
1 x USB 2.0 
2 x USB 3.0
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, shady86 said:

You might want to spend another 10k to get a decent one. Else do consider used ones around 10k, their specs are much better than new ones at that price range.

Terrible advice. Never buy a used laptop, even if you're on a budget.

The laptop in the above post would be perfect for a child to do her homework on.

Now, get down there and buy it while it's still on sale!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, killerbeez said:

Terrible advice. Never buy a used laptop, even if you're on a budget.

The laptop in the above post would be perfect for a child to do her homework on.

Now, get down there and buy it while it's still on sale!

A terrible suggestion for a 10k laptop, 5400rpm HDD and 1366x768 display are junk. Laptop with anything less than a Full HD display are junk and not usable at all. SSD and Full HD display is bare minimum for decent experience, anything less that might as well throw your money into drain. I can easily get a laptop with warranty and much better specs with 10k!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you sure about notebook?  Students do not normally take out of house here so all in one with much larger screen to watch video might be (much) preferred.  In heavy use in our home for recent college grad and her younger sister uses the laptops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The laptop above looks fine apart from the addition of an old mechanical HDD. Don't buy a laptop that doesn't make it easy to swap an HDD for an SSD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, shady86 said:

terrible suggestion for a 10k laptop, 5400rpm HDD and 1366x768 display are junk. Laptop with anything less than a Full HD display are junk and not usable at all.

Er, right! Not useable at all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, shady86 said:

A terrible suggestion for a 10k laptop, 5400rpm HDD and 1366x768 display are junk. Laptop with anything less than a Full HD display are junk and not usable at all. SSD and Full HD display is bare minimum for decent experience, anything less that might as well throw your money into drain. I can easily get a laptop with warranty and much better specs with 10k!

The laptop is intended for a child to help with his/hers homework. Why on earth would the child need a laptop as suggested/intimated by you?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not a good thread. Suggestion that second user laptops are bad is just nonsense. Suggestion that anything less than Full HD is junk is also nonsense.

 

It comes down to the budget and what can be afforded.

 

So Full HD and SSD are preferable, but for 10k will be difficult to achieve. So compromise is the answer.

 

Mine would be to find the best machine without an SSD fitted and to fit the SSD myself, since they are relatively cheap and make a world of difference to the performance of any laptop fitted with a mechanical hard drive(HDD).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Mine would be to find the best machine without an SSD fitted and to fit the SSD myself, since they are relatively cheap and make a world of difference to the performance of any laptop fitted with a mechanical hard drive(HDD)

Exactly... and you can still use the 1 TB HDD either in a cheap external box or by replacing the CD /DVD player with an adapter.

 

The original poster wanted to spend 10,000 baht (or just over) for his child to homework on...

The one I suggested would be perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Suggestion that second user laptops are bad is just nonsense.

With cheap laptops with great specs (and guarantees and warranties, etc,) thinking about buying a used one is crazy. 

Also, really, would you let your child suffer the ignominy of a crappy used machine at school?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, killerbeez said:

With cheap laptops with great specs (and guarantees and warranties, etc,) thinking about buying a used one is crazy. 

Also, really, would you let your child suffer the ignominy of a crappy used machine at school?

 

Would you expect anyone to take such a 'crappy' loaded question seriously?

 

I use refurbished laptops almost exclusively and there is no way that anyone would know.

 

Your picture of a used machine is an old and crappy one. That is not the reality, but simply a picture that you are trying to paint.

 

An example of a refurbished PC can be one that a customer has returned after a few minutes use....as were most of my devices. Still using them up to ten years later.

 

So remember that we are mostly adults here. Let's try to have adult discussions.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, killerbeez said:

Exactly... and you can still use the 1 TB HDD either in a cheap external box or by replacing the CD /DVD player with an adapter.

 

The original poster wanted to spend 10,000 baht (or just over) for his child to homework on...

The one I suggested would be perfect.

 

 

I haven't disagreed with your choice....

 

My suggestion would be to check beforehand as to how easy it would be to swap the drives....and to check that there are no reported issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a decent choice if you don't mind a slower pentium processor.

 

https://www.itcityonline.com/products/CO6-006769

 

https://pages.lazada.co.th/wow/i/th/marketing/mkt_lp?trigger_item=234336580&campaign_id=0&venture=th&sku_id=359337331&wh_skucount=1&ef_id=CjwKCAjw7_rlBRBaEiwAc23rhnk0L7Eh1NstweBAOEZas_oO2k9JI0VW-Yb9c-Kgb0jWDPUEInP7oxoCb7sQAvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3152!3!286179630377!!!u!371446507838!&exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1498579383!58089999096!!!pla-371446507838!m!371446507838!359337331!120267597&gclid=CjwKCAjw7_rlBRBaEiwAc23rhnk0L7Eh1NstweBAOEZas_oO2k9JI0VW-Yb9c-Kgb0jWDPUEInP7oxoCb7sQAvD_BwE

 

It comes with 128GB SSD and Full HD display which is bare minimum spec I would want to use as laptop today. I don't think ram is upgradable because ultrabooks come with soldered ram.

 

I'm still surprised people are still happy with 1366x768 HD display, it's junk. Even a 5k B Xiaomi phone comes with Full HD display at 6 inches.

 

No offence on those cheap laptops owners but I wouldnt want to torture my eyes with low resolution display and wait 1 min for Windows to boot up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...