Advice on Notebook for child 10k range

Huayrat

At 10,900 baht, this is about as good as you can get right now...

But, you'll have to install the operating system yourself. (Easy to do.)

laptop.png.62751e1a2d3d5eb7841685190618aa50.png

AMD FX-9800P 2.7GHz
Graphics AMD Radeon R7
Display Screen 15.6"
Memory = 8GB DDR4 
Hard drive = 1TB 5400RPM
Optical Disk Drive
VGA Web Camera
Headphone-out & Audio-in Combo Jack
Network    10/100/1000 LAN
Wireless 802.11AC
Bluetooth 4.1
Port    1 x HDMI 
1 x VGA Port (D-Sub) 
1 x USB 2.0 
2 x USB 3.0

22 hours ago, shady86 said:

You might want to spend another 10k to get a decent one. Else do consider used ones around 10k, their specs are much better than new ones at that price range.

Terrible advice. Never buy a used laptop, even if you're on a budget.

The laptop in the above post would be perfect for a child to do her homework on.

Now, get down there and buy it while it's still on sale!

30 minutes ago, killerbeez said:

Terrible advice. Never buy a used laptop, even if you're on a budget.

The laptop in the above post would be perfect for a child to do her homework on.

Now, get down there and buy it while it's still on sale!

A terrible suggestion for a 10k laptop, 5400rpm HDD and 1366x768 display are junk. Laptop with anything less than a Full HD display are junk and not usable at all. SSD and Full HD display is bare minimum for decent experience, anything less that might as well throw your money into drain. I can easily get a laptop with warranty and much better specs with 10k!

Are you sure about notebook?  Students do not normally take out of house here so all in one with much larger screen to watch video might be (much) preferred.  In heavy use in our home for recent college grad and her younger sister uses the laptops.

9 hours ago, shady86 said:

A terrible suggestion for a 10k laptop, 5400rpm HDD and 1366x768 display are junk. Laptop with anything less than a Full HD display are junk and not usable at all. SSD and Full HD display is bare minimum for decent experience, anything less that might as well throw your money into drain. I can easily get a laptop with warranty and much better specs with 10k!

The laptop is intended for a child to help with his/hers homework. Why on earth would the child need a laptop as suggested/intimated by you?

It's not a good thread. Suggestion that second user laptops are bad is just nonsense. Suggestion that anything less than Full HD is junk is also nonsense.

It comes down to the budget and what can be afforded.

So Full HD and SSD are preferable, but for 10k will be difficult to achieve. So compromise is the answer.

Mine would be to find the best machine without an SSD fitted and to fit the SSD myself, since they are relatively cheap and make a world of difference to the performance of any laptop fitted with a mechanical hard drive(HDD).

4 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Mine would be to find the best machine without an SSD fitted and to fit the SSD myself, since they are relatively cheap and make a world of difference to the performance of any laptop fitted with a mechanical hard drive(HDD)

Exactly... and you can still use the 1 TB HDD either in a cheap external box or by replacing the CD /DVD player with an adapter.

The original poster wanted to spend 10,000 baht (or just over) for his child to homework on...

The one I suggested would be perfect.

4 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Suggestion that second user laptops are bad is just nonsense.

With cheap laptops with great specs (and guarantees and warranties, etc,) thinking about buying a used one is crazy. 

Also, really, would you let your child suffer the ignominy of a crappy used machine at school?

1 hour ago, killerbeez said:

With cheap laptops with great specs (and guarantees and warranties, etc,) thinking about buying a used one is crazy. 

Also, really, would you let your child suffer the ignominy of a crappy used machine at school?

Would you expect anyone to take such a 'crappy' loaded question seriously?

I use refurbished laptops almost exclusively and there is no way that anyone would know.

Your picture of a used machine is an old and crappy one. That is not the reality, but simply a picture that you are trying to paint.

An example of a refurbished PC can be one that a customer has returned after a few minutes use....as were most of my devices. Still using them up to ten years later.

So remember that we are mostly adults here. Let's try to have adult discussions.

1 hour ago, killerbeez said:

Exactly... and you can still use the 1 TB HDD either in a cheap external box or by replacing the CD /DVD player with an adapter.

The original poster wanted to spend 10,000 baht (or just over) for his child to homework on...

The one I suggested would be perfect.

I haven't disagreed with your choice....

My suggestion would be to check beforehand as to how easy it would be to swap the drives....and to check that there are no reported issues.

This is a decent choice if you don't mind a slower pentium processor.

https://www.itcityonline.com/products/CO6-006769

https://pages.lazada.co.th/wow/i/th/marketing/mkt_lp?trigger_item=234336580&campaign_id=0&venture=th&sku_id=359337331&wh_skucount=1&ef_id=CjwKCAjw7_rlBRBaEiwAc23rhnk0L7Eh1NstweBAOEZas_oO2k9JI0VW-Yb9c-Kgb0jWDPUEInP7oxoCb7sQAvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3152!3!286179630377!!!u!371446507838!&exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1498579383!58089999096!!!pla-371446507838!m!371446507838!359337331!120267597&gclid=CjwKCAjw7_rlBRBaEiwAc23rhnk0L7Eh1NstweBAOEZas_oO2k9JI0VW-Yb9c-Kgb0jWDPUEInP7oxoCb7sQAvD_BwE

It comes with 128GB SSD and Full HD display which is bare minimum spec I would want to use as laptop today. I don't think ram is upgradable because ultrabooks come with soldered ram.

I'm still surprised people are still happy with 1366x768 HD display, it's junk. Even a 5k B Xiaomi phone comes with Full HD display at 6 inches.

No offence on those cheap laptops owners but I wouldnt want to torture my eyes with low resolution display and wait 1 min for Windows to boot up.

4 hours ago, shady86 said:

This is a decent choice if you don't mind a slower pentium processor.

https://www.itcityonline.com/products/CO6-006769

https://pages.lazada.co.th/wow/i/th/marketing/mkt_lp?trigger_item=234336580&campaign_id=0&venture=th&sku_id=359337331&wh_skucount=1&ef_id=CjwKCAjw7_rlBRBaEiwAc23rhnk0L7Eh1NstweBAOEZas_oO2k9JI0VW-Yb9c-Kgb0jWDPUEInP7oxoCb7sQAvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3152!3!286179630377!!!u!371446507838!&exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1498579383!58089999096!!!pla-371446507838!m!371446507838!359337331!120267597&gclid=CjwKCAjw7_rlBRBaEiwAc23rhnk0L7Eh1NstweBAOEZas_oO2k9JI0VW-Yb9c-Kgb0jWDPUEInP7oxoCb7sQAvD_BwE

It comes with 128GB SSD and Full HD display which is bare minimum spec I would want to use as laptop today. I don't think ram is upgradable because ultrabooks come with soldered ram.

I'm still surprised people are still happy with 1366x768 HD display, it's junk. Even a 5k B Xiaomi phone comes with Full HD display at 6 inches.

No offence on those cheap laptops owners but I wouldnt want to torture my eyes with low resolution display and wait 1 min for Windows to boot up.

Unfortunately, some of what you write is wrong.

The processor on that device is relatively poor and a Full HD spec on a small screen actually makes the font smaller and therefore more of a strain on the eyes.

I certainly prefer Full HD, but then I have large screen laptops. Full HD IPS, even better.

Saying that, the colour, weight and spec may suit the girl, though of course it is over budget.

4 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

I agree with the first poster. You will probably end up saving money and headaches in the long run. 20k is a minimum as far as I would advise. Something like this or similar: https://www.bnn.in.th/notebooks/gaming-notebook/acer-gaming-notebook/4713883668682

Nonsense...

for homework?

Looking to buy a Norebook for a child to do her homework....

Try to be helpful.

10k is the budget. shady86 posted one for 13k that would do the job and is portable. 

Unless her homework includes 3D modelling, you are way off the mark.

22 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Nonsense...

for homework?

Try to be helpful.

10k is the budget. shady86 posted one for 13k that would do the job and is portable. 

Unless her homework includes 3D modelling, you are way off the mark.

It does not matter what electronics you buy, phone camera whatever, you will go beyond the limits of your initial assessment. Every single time. 

This concept is not difficult to understand. If you buy a pair of shoes for 100 baht, vs a pair for 300, but the 300 baht pair lasts five times as long... you are actually saving money. And in this case with the laptops you can potentially save money and have a nicer device. 

Look guy, this is a forum about opinions. Just state your opinion and be done with it. I am not sure why that is so difficult for some? 

All you do when you say things like "nonsense" is make yourself look like an egomaniac... someone who has to be right at all costs. Nobody listens to people like that, so just chill out, state your opinion and be done with it. 

16 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

It does not matter what electronics you buy, phone camera whatever, you will go beyond the limits of your initial assessment. Every single time. 

This concept is not difficult to understand. If you buy a pair of shoes for 100 baht, vs a pair for 300, but the 300 baht pair lasts five times as long... you are actually saving money. And in this case with the laptops you can potentially save money and have a nicer device. 

Look guy, this is a forum about opinions. Just state your opinion and be done with it. I am not sure why that is so difficult for some? 

All you do when you say things like "nonsense" is make yourself look like an egomaniac... someone who has to be right at all costs. Nobody listens to people like that, so just chill out, state your opinion and be done with it. 

The OP asked for suggestion for a laptop for school homework for around 10k. Anything you post outside that is just useless noise.

Even the person with whom you state you are in agreement has revised his opinion and recommended a new device for 13k.

Whereas your suggestion of a gaming device for homework is simply ridiculous and your analogy even more so.

I paid the now equivalent of 10000 baht for a laptop nine years ago and I am still using it, albeit upgraded with more RAM and SSD fitted.

Are you suggesting that someone paying 20000 baht should expect eighteen years of usage out of theirs since I so far have had nine out of mine?

So I'm sorry but both your analogy and suggestions for a laptop are nonsensical and I have explained why.

Nobody listens to me? You certainly have replied.

Perhaps no one should take any notice of you. 

Unfortunately, some of what you write is wrong.

The processor on that device is relatively poor and a Full HD spec on a small screen actually makes the font smaller and therefore more of a strain on the eyes.

I certainly prefer Full HD, but then I have large screen laptops. Full HD IPS, even better.

Saying that, the colour, weight and spec may suit the girl, though of course it is over budget.

Do you there is display scaling feature if everything looks small? I guess you are not using a high resolution display...

My surface book comes with 3000x2000 resolution on a 13 inch display and I'm using 4K reso on 27inch monitor. I need to use 150% scaling to make size confortable but everything still looks sharp.

Full HD is bare minimum, anything less than looks pixelated, not usable and affects productivity. IPS is better but most manufacturers use cheap TN panels to get more profit on low budget laptops.

For 10k, only a used laptop with decent spec can be considered.

Any cpu which comes with at least dual core from the past five years are still good enough, most important is 8GB RAM and SSD to keep things snappy.

Even and i3 4th gen CPU which comes out in 2014 is still good enough for today considering Intel has not been innovating enough for the past few years other than adding more cores since the 8th gen cpus.

I agree with the first poster. You will probably end up saving money and headaches in the long run. 20k is a minimum as far as I would advise. Something like this or similar: https://www.bnn.in.th/notebooks/gaming-notebook/acer-gaming-notebook/4713883668682

Ryzen is a good choice. I wish more manufactures release Budget laptops as AMD is generally cheaper than Intel. Latest gen Ryzens can easily match 8th gen Intel and comes with superior graphics. I have a Ryzen 8 cores 16 threads on my desktop and it smokes my 2 yrs only Intel i5 with 4 times more threads to play with.

You are correct with investing on good laptop. Ultrabooks and thin laptops comes with soldered ram so there is no room for any upgrades unlike desktop so it's good idea to get something with decent spec or regret later.

7 hours ago, shady86 said:

Do you there is display scaling feature if everything looks small? I guess you are not using a high resolution display...

My surface book comes with 3000x2000 resolution on a 13 inch display and I'm using 4K reso on 27inch monitor. I need to use 150% scaling to make size confortable but everything still looks sharp.

Full HD is bare minimum, anything less than looks pixelated, not usable and affects productivity. IPS is better but most manufacturers use cheap TN panels to get more profit on low budget laptops.

For 10k, only a used laptop with decent spec can be considered.

Any cpu which comes with at least dual core from the past five years are still good enough, most important is 8GB RAM and SSD to keep things snappy.

Even and i3 4th gen CPU which comes out in 2014 is still good enough for today considering Intel has not been innovating enough for the past few years other than adding more cores since the 8th gen cpus.

Sorry, but you are still just writing nonsense.

People's eyes haven't improved over the years, so Full HD is not a necessity. I am currently using a twelve year old laptop to post here and it does everything that I need.

killerbeez has at least stuck to the topic and the laptop he has posted will most certainly do the job and more. With an SSD fitted, it will be much snappier than the 13k device that you have recommended.

I don't imagine that the girl will be whining that it doesn't have a Full HD screen. But she might prefer it's size and portability.

The laptop you posted at 13k may also suit, as it is light and portable. But you are letting yourself down with nerdy, esoteric arguments.

The OP doesn't ask for the best possible laptop at any price, they asked for laptop recommendations for 10k and around.

If you don't have any suggestions around that price point, then perhaps you should give the floor to someone who does, instead of swamping the thread with irrelevancies.

Full HD may be desirable, but it is not the bare minimum, that is just silly. I have at least four devices that are more than nine years old and the girl will no doubt be able to complete her homework assignments on any and all(ok, not the ten year old ACER Netbook)

You should cut your cloth according to your means. If you have a link to a second hand device with Full HD screen and SSD for around 10k, then do publish.

But the brief is laptop to do homework for 10k. 

The fact is that you are making it all about you, instead of sticking to the brief. So just try to find the best laptop within the OP's budget, since you have already told us what you consider to be the bare minimum....but it is not for you.

7 hours ago, shady86 said:

Ryzen is a good choice. I wish more manufactures release Budget laptops as AMD is generally cheaper than Intel. Latest gen Ryzens can easily match 8th gen Intel and comes with superior graphics. I have a Ryzen 8 cores 16 threads on my desktop and it smokes my 2 yrs only Intel i5 with 4 times more threads to play with.

You are correct with investing on good laptop. Ultrabooks and thin laptops comes with soldered ram so there is no room for any upgrades unlike desktop so it's good idea to get something with decent spec or regret later.

Who asked for an Ultrabook or thin laptop??  It's just becoming more ridiculous.

You two are just getting carried away. Might I suggest you two take it to PMs and leave the thread to people who actually wish to help the OP?

Laptop. 10k. Homework.

I have no regrets on any of my old devices that are still up and running. The most I have paid for any device was £300 and that is the twelve year old device which I am using now.

Every other device cost £250 or less. 

So this thread does not concern esoterica. We aren't arguing over the benefits of purchasing a laptop that supports PCI SSD as opposed to SATA 3, as that would be the next argument when it comes to future proofing.

The OP has 10k and wants the best they can get for that. So try to curb your excitement and find the best quality and upgradeable device you can for the OP. A device that is not user upgradeable probably isn't that useful.

I have been able to upgrade all of my devices and that is why they are still in use nine to twelve years later.

No one should feel embarrassed or pressured to spend more than they can afford. So go lightly on the hyperbole.

The 13k Swift 1 at least is not an outlandish proposition, nor is the option of going for second user.

These were a super bargain when they still had A Grade available; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Latitude-E7240-Ultrabook-i5-4300U-4GB-128GB-SSD-Touchscreen-Laptop/232902237137

Of course it helps if you have a friend in that location.

Sorry, but you are still just writing nonsense.

People's eyes haven't improved over the years, so Full HD is not a necessity. I am currently using a twelve year old laptop to post here and it does everything that I need.

killerbeez has at least stuck to the topic and the laptop he has posted will most certainly do the job and more. With an SSD fitted, it will be much snappier than the 13k device that you have recommended.

I don't imagine that the girl will be whining that it doesn't have a Full HD screen. But she might prefer it's size and portability.

The laptop you posted at 13k may also suit, as it is light and portable. But you are letting yourself down with nerdy, esoteric arguments.

The OP doesn't ask for the best possible laptop at any price, they asked for laptop recommendations for 10k and around.

If you don't have any suggestions around that price point, then perhaps you should give the floor to someone who does, instead of swamping the thread with irrelevancies.

Full HD may be desirable, but it is not the bare minimum, that is just silly. I have at least four devices that are more than nine years old and the girl will no doubt be able to complete her homework assignments on any and all(ok, not the ten year old ACER Netbook)

You should cut your cloth according to your means. If you have a link to a second hand device with Full HD screen and SSD for around 10k, then do publish.

But the brief is laptop to do homework for 10k. 

The fact is that you are making it all about you, instead of sticking to the brief. So just try to find the best laptop within the OP's budget, since you have already told us what you consider to be the bare minimum....but it is not for you.

I feel sorry for you for using a laptop more than 10 yrs old. Maybe that period full HD was a luxury. Maybe you could find some money to get the latest ones to know the difference.

2 minutes ago, shady86 said:

I feel sorry for you for using a laptop more than 10 yrs old. Maybe that period full HD was a luxury. Maybe you could find some money to get the latest ones to know the difference.

Maybe you can stop your childish Trolling. It's not about how much money you or I may have at our disposal and it's not about you.

The OP has a budget. We are here to help, not for you to make a fool of yourself with such posts as above.

I also have a DELL laptop with a full aluminium body, 17" inch IPS Touchscreen, NVIDIA GeForce 845M dedicated graphics, 1 TB Samsung EVO 860 SSD....

But totally irrelevant when someone is asking about a laptop for school homework on a 10k budget.

Maybe you are still a teenager. In this case we can excuse your over-excitement.

Archived