RE: 90 day report after 3-week trip out of country

My 90-day report is due May 15th and I will be travelling to the UK departing May 19th. Since I won't have to do a 90-day report for 90 days after my arrival back into Thailand I am wondering if I need not do my 90-day report due May 15th. Since we supposedly can be late up to a week for the report and that week extends past my departure date  thought I might not need to do the May 15th  report. Or better safe than sorry.

This topic has been debated to death on this forum -- but it keeps on rising from the dead!

The general consensus seems to be that it is better to be safe than sorry.

The 7-day grace period is for people who are remaining in the country. If you leave on day 95 without reporting, there is the possibility that on your next visit to Immigration the IO will notice that you did not report and fine you. Remember: this is Thailand. There are no firm rules where IOs are concerned.

• Like 1

7 day grace period but really 5 being workdays. So no if you have other things going. And for reentry back in and then your next 90 day check in, they will only look at your stamp date back in. As for fishtank's reply, that doesn't make any sense. Essentially you have faced off with an IO upon exit. BTW. 20th is a holiday here too.

9 hours ago, Goethe said:

This topic has been debated to death on this forum -- but it keeps on rising from the dead!

The general consensus seems to be that it is better to be safe than sorry.

The 7-day grace period is for people who are remaining in the country. If you leave on day 95 without reporting, there is the possibility that on your next visit to Immigration the IO will notice that you did not report and fine you. Remember: this is Thailand. There are no firm rules where IOs are concerned.

9 hours ago, fishtank said:

Yes you do need to do your 90 days report.

The 7 days is for people staying in the country. Not leaving.

There is no 7 day 'grace' period; it's a 7 day time limit.

The need to report doesn't start until day 91 and -- by law -- should be made as soon as possible (without delay). As that is not time specific immigration set a 7 day limit. And because 7 days is not long they allow people to report up to 2 weeks early, giving a three week window. 

A report does not become late until after day 97. Fines, by law, are only levied on someone that reports late. In order to be fined you must stay longer than 97 days AND get caught or report late. Once that fine becomes due there is no 'grace period', and once the fine is issued they can charge an extra 200 baht for every day it remains unpaid.

There have been several reports from members over the years who have asked immigration if a report is required and have been told no. Immigration are not interested in the address of someone that is leaving the country.

You cannot be retrospectively fined because leaving on day 95 means you did not stay long enough for the report to become late and a fine to become due. 

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Leaving on day 95 and not reporting means that he will not have reported as required.

He could well get a 2,000 Baht fine when he next reports.

He still had 2 days to meet the requirement, but because he left the country the requirement ends.

Show me the law or regulation/rule that allows immigration to fine someone that only stays in the country 95 days without reporting.

Show me a report from a member that has been retrospectively fined.

Here's a report from a member that sought confirmation from their immigration office. https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1011972-consequences-of-leaving-thailand-5-days-after-90-day-report-due/?do=findComment&comment=12467002

13 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Show me the law or regulation/rule that allows immigration to fine someone that only stays in the country 95 days without reporting.

This is what the immigration website states. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/sv_90day

"If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying the Immigration Bureau or notifying the Immigration Bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000.- Baht will be collected."

No mention of leaving the country after the 90 days being the same as a report.

I always suggest a person should always do the report if at all possible if leaving within the 7 days allowed. There is a certainly a risk of a officious officer imposing the 2000 baht fine when the report is done 90 days after enter the country.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, elviajero said:

He still had 2 days to meet the requirement, but because he left the country the requirement ends.

Show me a report from a member that has been retrospectively fined.

Here's a report from a member that sought confirmation from their immigration office. https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1011972-consequences-of-leaving-thailand-5-days-after-90-day-report-due/?do=findComment&comment=12467002

This is a direct quote from a Thai Embassy website:

"If you are a foreigner staying in Thailand for a period longer than 90 consecutive days holding a Non-Immigrant Visa or Extension of Stay, you are required by Thai Immigration to report your current address every 90 days.

You must file this report within 15 days before, or 7 days after, your 90-day period expires. However, if you leave Thailand anytime during the 90-day period, then the day count will restart from 1 upon your re-entry into Thailand."

Thus: your day count will continue, in theory, and you could easily be subject to a fine. Thai IOs can also read the rules.

1 hour ago, fishtank said:

No, but Immigration are.

No offense, but I think you need to learn a bit more about Thailand and the processes. Immigration are finicky temperamental people, but not that retentive for the most part for a 90 day check in as the person has left with in the given allotted window of time. It just rolls over from new fresh start after the person comes back. Now go to say 8 or 9 days and he or she might haver a problem but more than likely not.