People flock to marijuana fair in Buri Ram

rooster59

People flock to marijuana fair in Buri Ram

By Pratch Rujivanarom 
The Nation 
Buri Ram

7b5f56bf9ed32d34eb7a9eb602fb23e6-sld.jpeg

Thousands of people showed up at the “Pan Buriram” fair in Buri Ram province on Saturday, as the authorities take the first step towards raising awareness about medical marijuana.

Dr Withid Sarudeechaikul, director of the Buri Ram Provincial Health Office, said nearly 20,000 people attended the event to learn about the use of medical cannabis, while more than 1,000 others registered for legal permission to use cannabinoid medicines.

The fair, which includes a one-stop centre for registration of cannabis users, is being held at the Chang International Circuit in Muang Buri Ram district until Sunday.

“Many experts on cannabinoid medication have joined the fair to educate people on how to safely and effectively use cannabis to sustain good mental and physical health,” Withid said.

He added that officials were also at hand to help those relying on cannabinoid drugs to conveniently obtain legal permission and easily register with Buri Ram Provincial Health Office.

“So many people have shown up to register for using cannabinoid medication legally at the event. On the first day itself, we registered 1,153 patients and expect even more to show up in the remaining two days of the fair,” Withid said.

“Public response is overwhelming. We did not expect so many people to show up to register this time, because before this event, only some 200 people had registered at the provincial health office.”

He added that he expects up to 10,000 patients from across the nation to come to the fair and register for the use of cannabinoid medication.

Those wanting to register are required to bring their national ID, medical certificate and other documents proving that they need to use cannabis for treatment. Those who have already obtained permission can show their permit and receive up to five bottles of cannabis extract at the event.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30368027

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-21

9 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

So many people have shown up to register for using cannabinoid medication legally at the event.

A happy crowd then, not a  chocolate seller in sight,

a missed opportunity to make some cash.

3 hours ago, kwak250 said:

Probably the safest roads in Thailand groups of chilled people checking out traffic lights.

I don't agree. Driving with alcohol in your bloodstream is much more safer (Asians not included).

Never would have believed it.Home of the thai stick.In the early 70’s I would buy 30 thai sticks for 150 baht.baht was 5 cents at the time.How things have 

changed.If Thailand follows the U.S. it might be completely legal in 5-10 years.

10 minutes ago, HaleySabai said:

If they follow Canada it'll be legal tomorrow.

OTOH, if the treatment of the seasteaders is any indication, they may issue arrest warrants for the organizers once word of the fair reaches other entities in the government.

Just 'cause it's okay with the Provincial Health Office, doesn't mean it's okay with the RTP or whatever Thailand has for a DEA...

12 hours ago, kwak250 said:

Probably the safest roads in Thailand groups of chilled people checking out traffic lights.

Yeah dude, I found myself on many an occasion just standing on corners watching traffic go by. My fav is the Motocy packs, like hundreds of them? And then there will be like some dude in a bicycle right in the middel of the pack, and maybe one of those motorized fruit carts? If you find a shady spot, you can buzz out for a while and watch the action, like maybe someone falls off and people start running around yelling, plus the hot chicks side saddle? Legalizing the herb is going to be great for biz, can you imagine hundreds of stoners standing on a corner staring at traffic and cackling insanely...there would be like vendors there.....its a Traffic Festival! Im there!

Damn Im enjoying a Lemon flavoured oil right now and just laughing at imaginary traffic. I need a traffic video!

44 minutes ago, impulse said:

OTOH, if the treatment of the seasteaders is any indication, they may issue arrest warrants for the organizers once word of the fair reaches other entities in the government.

Just 'cause it's okay with the Provincial Health Office, doesn't mean it's okay with the RTP or whatever Thailand has for a DEA...

Ridiculous assumption. This isn’t some farang event started by some stoner, farang, bitcoin millionaire. This whole fair was endorsed/supported by Newin Chidchob (owner of the Buriram United football team and the huge football stadium/ racetrack complex where this event is being held, as well as loads of other properties and businesses) who has a lot of power. His family has a lot of pull in this province and as an ex-politician who’s been shrewd enough to initially side with Thaksin, then dump him, I’d be willing to back Mr. Chidchob. My wife and I were watching TV and he was being interviewed on a show and talking about “the California model” (I.e. lots of tax revenue). 

Money speaks loudest in Thailand and it doesn’t matter what type of “general” is involved (army, navy, or police), if there’s a cut to be made/skimmed, then they’ll be all for it.

11 minutes ago, Hank Gunn said:

Ridiculous assumption. This isn’t some farang event started by some stoner, farang, bitcoin millionaire. This whole fair was endorsed/supported by Newin Chidchob (owner of the Buriram United football team and the huge football stadium/ racetrack complex where this event is being held, as well as loads of other properties and businesses) who has a lot of power. His family has a lot of pull in this province and as an ex-politician who’s been shrewd enough to initially side with Thaksin, then dump him, I’d be willing to back Mr. Chidchob. My wife and I were watching TV and he was being interviewed on a show and talking about “the California model” (I.e. lots of tax revenue). 

Money speaks loudest in Thailand and it doesn’t matter what type of “general” is involved (army, navy, or police), if there’s a cut to be made/skimmed, then they’ll be all for it.

And there is a ton of money to be made in weed. Lookie, a gram of oil in the US is $55. It lasts a dedicated smoker two weeks. Lets say it sells for $20 or 600 baht in Thailand. Lets say that 300,000 two weeker tourists buy a gram. That just pumped 180,000,000 tourist baht into someones pocket. And thats just a tip of the weed bud. 

6 hours ago, Hank Gunn said:

Everyone of high status has political enemies and business rivals, even Newin Chidchob.  Someone high enough decides they want him out of the way, he's toast.   It's happened to people with a lot more stroke than he has.  This would be the perfect pretense.

Legalizing weed also goes against the breweries and Big Pharma- not to mention the insidious Yaba trade (and we all know how deep that corruption goes).  Hard to imagine they'll be sitting by with their thumbs up their butts while they lose $$$ billions a year to legalized weed. 

As I recall, there was another powerful, influential billionaire on the dock last week for something fairly benign that he did years ago.  No problem at all.... Until they needed an excuse to get him out of the way.  Just like dozens of other powerful people over the past 5 years that have been hauled in and prosecuted for stuff they did over a decade ago.

5 hours ago, impulse said:

Everyone of high status has political enemies and business rivals, even Newin Chidchob.  Someone high enough decides they want him out of the way, he's toast.   It's happened to people with a lot more stroke than he has.  This would be the perfect pretense.

Legalizing weed also goes against the breweries and Big Pharma- not to mention the insidious Yaba trade (and we all know how deep that corruption goes).  Hard to imagine they'll be sitting by with their thumbs up their butts while they lose $$$ billions a year to legalized weed. 

As I recall, there was another powerful, influential billionaire on the dock last week for something fairly benign that he did years ago.  No problem at all.... Until they needed an excuse to get him out of the way.  Just like dozens of other powerful people over the past 5 years that have been hauled in and prosecuted for stuff they did over a decade ago.

Well, if you read my full post you’ recall that I said he’s now out of politics and presents no real threat to anyone’s political or power base. I only mentioned his brief backing of Thaksin, and just as importantly his abandonment of him, to demonstrate his shrewdness in dealing with political power.

But most important is your statement “Legalizing weed goes against...”. In case you weren’t aware, weed is already legal for medical purposes. He (Newin) and the provincial health officials were registering those people who had already been using weed medicinally, according to current government regs.

With regards to the ganja trade eating into the liquor and ya baa trade, again you need to do some more research and be a little more observant of what’s going on here.

First, ya baa is methamphetamine or “speed”, a stimulant that’s used either recreationally by those who enjoy that type of teeth-grinding, paranoiac high, or occupationally as a way to get through shift work (e.g. truck drivers). Put simply, pot smokers ain’t into that at all and will not be eating into the ya baa trade.

Second, if you’d remember what happened when ganja was first being legalized, the first thing the authorities did was to lock out any non-Thai/foreign company from being able to enter the market here with their weed-based products. The only people who influence laws and regulations here are the generals’ bosses; the top, corporate oligarchs. They’ve seen a new revenue stream and you can be sure they’ll use the same financial mechanisms to incentivize their servants/workers (armed forces and police).

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Enough of all this intellectual, I'm so well informed crap. Are foreigners aka farang going to be allowed this Med Ganja??? That is the important question.

Who will the first farang be?????

I don’t know if I’ll be the first, but I am seriously considering getting a medical prescription/card when I travel back to California in a couple months. I’d then have a starting point for applying for a prescription here. But who knows.

44 minutes ago, Hank Gunn said:

I don’t know if I’ll be the first, but I am seriously considering getting a medical prescription/card when I travel back to California in a couple months. I’d then have a starting point for applying for a prescription here. But who knows.

I got one of those. As easy as walking in to the dispensary, talking to a "Doctor" on the phone and wha-la, you got it. Cost like $35. Not sure if that will help here.

On 4/22/2019 at 11:58 AM, EVENKEEL said:

I got one of those. As easy as walking in to the dispensary, talking to a "Doctor" on the phone and wha-la, you got it. Cost like $35. Not sure if that will help here.

Just out of curiosity, was that in N. California? My friend got a card a few years ago and it was a little more complicated than what you described, although still relatively easy. (He actually had a face to face conference with a doctor but still got his card.)

You can PM me the details if you wish.

Archived