Khao Phansa Day Candle Festival

AlexCanada

I'll be up in Ubon Ratchathani for the Candle Festival parade that takes place on Khao Phansa Day July 17.  Looking at hotels and would like to know which street(s) the candle parade runs and what time the candle parade begins.  Any help would be appreciated.

The main attraction point will be around the park area ( Thung si Mueang ). The floats will be around town all week, but the the last three days will be the parades, where as the last day will be the highlight. Huge parade finishing at the park. Stay anywhere near the park and you'll be in the center of the event.

I'd recommend the Phadaeng Hotel or Yuu Hotel. If they are fully booked, there are quite a few hotels between the park and river. Eco Inn may be a good option as well. All well within walking distance of the park.

Here's some more Ubon hotels which off the top of my head are the ones within say 10 minutes walk of Tung Si Meuang (candle park) not already named above.

Sri Isaan* 800b inc b/fast

Ubon (nk)

Rachabutr Hostel 400b*

Ratchathani 650b

Bordin Hostel (nk)

Nap at Mun (nk)

Tokyo 600b

Pandinthong* 400b

T3 House* 650b

Future Place* 600b

Chatsuree Mansion 550b*

Natsiri Residence 900b*

The 'b numbers' following the hotel name are what I would estimate as being the normal price per night. You have to pay a lot more during candle festival - at least 2-3 times I believe. Most of these hotels in the centre are in the range of hostel thru budget to budget plus. Nothing I have listed is above what is commonly known as 3 star (though Natsiri comes close) - that's because there aren't many hotels in Ubon in the above budget plus category anyway but those there are happen not to fall in my 10 minute walk zone (# see note below).

* = hotels I would recommend as OK to good in relation to their quality versus price. As an example, you might find Pandinthong (400 baht) too basic and the bed a bit hard, but it's still good value in its class and very well located IMO

inc b/fast = includes a breakfast buffet. If not mentioned assume the tariff is room only (T3 House has a cafe, most/(all?) others you would have to look outside

nk = not known ie I've never stayed there. Bordin and Nap at Mun are very new (both hostels I think). I have stayed at most Ubon central hotels within the last 8 years.

Good luck. So the story goes you have to book a year ahead to get a room in Ubon over candle festival. That's probably an exaggeration, as I believe that some hotels whack their prices up so high there will still be some rooms left, but not many. There are loads more hotels within 5km of Candle Park but not within 10 minutes walk - and that doubles up if looking 5-10km. Ubon is very well provided with budget and mid range properties many of which are modern/clean and offer very good value (normally).

#  Thosang City Hotel and Laithong Hotel are 15 minutes walk (10 at a fast march), which are 4 star and normally 1,000 to 1,300 including breakfast and both in my 'OK to good' class.

Archived