Laptop Repairs.

NoshowJones

Maybe mention the brand and the problem/repair. Generic repairs, software, ram, hardrive etc could be done by anyone. Specific brand components may need to go to a dealer or authorised repair shop.

15 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Maybe mention the brand and the problem/repair. Generic repairs, software, ram, hardrive etc could be done by anyone. Specific brand components may need to go to a dealer or authorised repair shop.

he might try do a system restore and get laptop working again!!!

9 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

It's an Asus EeeBook X20STA. problems with keyboard and wifi.

The WiFi can most likely be fixed by using a dongle. 

The one built into your netbook may not be broken, just incompatible with recent versions of Windows 10.

(Good Netgear brand dual band dongles are cheap as chips.)

As for the keyboard... this may be a loose connection inside the computer and be a pretty easy fix.

If it isn't a small USB keyboard may be the answer... at least till you get a replacement.

This is a low powered device that wasn't 'built to last'.

It may be a good time to think about replacing it as repairs can sometimes be a money pit.

Don't write off the use of a restore point, device manager removal of drivers (with instant reset on reboot) or a reset (restore windows  but retain files option after Ctrl/Alt/Del).  It really depends on the problem.

Both the keyboard and the wifi could just be driver problems.

Have you tried troubleshoot, both network and keyboard.  There are many things to try before going to a shop.  I suggest a google search with each problem searched individually and as precisely as possible.

Is the keyboard problem just the same key(s) sticking, wrong characters, wrong language or what.

Some more details may help especially the operating system and version currently installed.  PM if you want specifics.

20 hours ago, possum1931 said:

It's an Asus EeeBook X20STA. problems with keyboard and wifi.

It's an ASUS EeeBook X205TA and I have already showed you how to fix the issue. No need to leave your device at the mercy of the locals.

48 minutes ago, killerbeez said:

The WiFi can most likely be fixed by using a dongle. 

The one built into your netbook may not be broken, just incompatible with recent versions of Windows 10.

(Good Netgear brand dual band dongles are cheap as chips.)

As for the keyboard... this may be a loose connection inside the computer and be a pretty easy fix.

If it isn't a small USB keyboard may be the answer... at least till you get a replacement.

This is a low powered device that wasn't 'built to last'.

It may be a good time to think about replacing it as repairs can sometimes be a money pit.

I have already had the laptop checked by Nick at FortuneTown, he told me about the keyboard and wifi and quoted me over 1000 Bt to fix it, I have no problem with that, but he needed me to leave it with him for a day or two, but I had arrangements to go home the following day.

I am just thinking now if I should wait till the next time I go to Bangkok, or just take it to a repair shop in Nakhon Sawan which is a two hour motorbike trip from my home.

19 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

It's an ASUS EeeBook X205TA and I have already showed you how to fix the issue. No need to leave your device at the mercy of the locals.

Thanks but I am not enough technically minded to fix anything never mind a computer.

44 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Don't write off the use of a restore point, device manager removal of drivers (with instant reset on reboot) or a reset (restore windows  but retain files option after Ctrl/Alt/Del).  It really depends on the problem.

Both the keyboard and the wifi could just be driver problems.

Have you tried troubleshoot, both network and keyboard.  There are many things to try before going to a shop.  I suggest a google search with each problem searched individually and as precisely as possible.

Is the keyboard problem just the same key(s) sticking, wrong characters, wrong language or what.

Some more details may help especially the operating system and version currently installed.  PM if you want specifics.

Thanks, please read my answer to Killerbeez on #1.

8 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

or just take it to a repair shop in Nakhon Sawan which is a two hour motorbike trip from my home.

If you that far from Nakhon Sawan perhaps there is a closer alternative - try using Google Maps to find a closer computer shop.  I lived 2 years in Takhli many moons ago so was thinking you closer than that.

I obviously should read member data better.

phichit

https://goo.gl/maps/6Cn3i5snHVQLWYP79

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

If you that far from Nakhon Sawan perhaps there is a closer alternative - try using Google Maps to find a closer computer shop.  I lived 2 years in Takhli many moons ago so was thinking you closer than that.

There are computer shops near me in Bangmunnak but not repairers. I have never heard of Takhli, it is not near me, but thanks for the map of Nakhon Sawan.

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Thanks but I am not enough technically minded to fix anything never mind a computer.

Don't write yourself off. You just have to follow a guide, step by step. You'll do it better than any local Tech, as you'll install clean software with no dodgy shortcuts.

Did you have a local tech mess it up in the first place?

The guide to which I linked is what you need. Anything else is doomed to failure.

Easy job, done in under an hour. But you are far away..

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

There are computer shops near me in Bangmunnak but not repairers. I have never heard of Takhli, it is not near me, but thanks for the map of Nakhon Sawan.

Have added map of your area and seems there may be more computer repair places than you know.  

14 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have already had the laptop checked by Nick at FortuneTown, he told me about the keyboard and wifi and quoted me over 1000 Bt to fix it, I have no problem with that, but he needed me to leave it with him for a day or two, but I had arrangements to go home the following day.

I am just thinking now if I should wait till the next time I go to Bangkok, or just take it to a repair shop in Nakhon Sawan which is a two hour motorbike trip from my home.

It's nonsense. It's a one hour job. Thais paying themselves 1,000 baht an hour? Nice work if you can get it.

It just needs a clean install, with a little preparation taken beforehand.

Nick fixed mine some years back, he's ok.  However, I have a HP Compaq 326 ... it stopped working ... had to replace the video graphics processor .... got it back after one month .. now the sound is messed up in the IDT high definition audoi Codec .. makes a promanent hissing sound unless I mute it ... and the notebook shuts down and reboots 5 times a day at random.

I am pissed off but I don't wan't to take it back to the same guy. He fixed and f&^%k it .

Try 390/44 Moo 9, Sawan Withi Road, Tambon Nakhon Sawan Tok, Amphoe Mueang, Nakhon Sawan, 60000, Phone: 082 393 8848

And some others ...

image.png.4ca8d24df3cb9326a2d5cd3bfe13807f.png

9 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I have always found "advice" computer centres very good. There is one in Phitsanoluk

Thanks Charlie, but I haven't any plans to go to Phitsanlok just now, Nakhon Sawan is much easier.

Once again;

Go to; https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 to create the installation media. You'll need an 8 GB USB thumb drive.

Then; https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10?d2784474-fdb0-4e9d-9e47-5e88c0e053ec=True

Using the tool to create installation media:

1. Select Download tool now, and select Run. You need to be an administrator to run this tool.
  2. If you agree to the license terms, select Accept.
  3. On the What do you want to do? page, select Create installation media for another PC, and then select Next.
  4. Select the language, edition, and architecture (32-bit) for Windows 10. This table will help you decide which edition of Windows 10 you’ll choose:

5. Select which media you want to use:
  6. USB flash drive. Attach a blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space. Any content on the flash drive will be deleted.

Once created;

https://github.com/lopaka/instructions/blob/master/windows10-install-asus-x205ta.md

It is very easy.

Just take it step by step and ask questions along the way.

Archived