UK police say total of climate activists arrested passes 750

rooster59

UK police say total of climate activists arrested passes 750

800x800 (14).jpg

Climate change activists attend the Extinction Rebellion protest at Waterloo Bridge in London, Britain April 19, 2019. REUTERS/Simon Dawson

LONDON (Reuters) - More than 750 climate change activists blocking roads at some of London's most famous landmarks have been arrested over the last six days, police said on Saturday, up from a Friday total of 682.

The protests, organised by climate group Extinction Rebellion, have for several days disrupted travel through parts of central London, including at Marble Arch and Waterloo Bridge.

The activists had also blocked the Oxford Circus shopping district, but by 1700 GMT the roads had been cleared by police and traffic was flowing again.

Extinction Rebellion has called for non-violent civil disobedience to force the British government to reduce net greenhouse gas emissions to zero by 2025 and stop what it calls a global climate crisis.

Twenty-eight of those arrested had been charged with offences, London's Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick told BBC News that the protests had caused "miserable disruption".

She said there were now 1,500 police officers, up from 1,000 previously, working to clear the roads.

On Waterloo Bridge, which connects south and central London, a Reuters journalist said police had cleared away banners and obstructions like bales of hay and even a sofa.

But as of 1720 GMT, the area was still packed with activists, who remained good-humoured.

The police reiterated that protests were only allowed to continue at Marble Arch.

"I've got one message for the protesters and that is: Please, go to Marble Arch where you can protest lawfully. Stop your unlawful protest, and if you don't want to go to Marble Arch, then go home," Dick said.

On Friday, well-known actor Emma Thompson joined activists at Oxford Circus, at the heart of one of the capital's most popular shopping districts, to read poetry praising Earth's bounties.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-04-21

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Extinction Rebellion has called for non-violent civil disobedience to force the British government to reduce net greenhouse gas emissions to zero by 2025

Not sure if they want zero CO2 emissions in 6 years time just from the UK, or the whole planet.

Either way, they re barking to even demand such as any with a few brain cells knows it's not going to happen that fast.

42 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not sure if they want zero CO2 emissions in 6 years time just from the UK, or the whole planet.

Either way, they re barking to even demand such as any with a few brain cells knows it's not going to happen that fast.

It's the goal that matters, by trying for zero one could get a large reduction. These protests need to be world wide, only the young can do it, the pillars of society are too entrenched, too corrupt and aren't interested in anything beyond their own profit and comfort. These protests are going to have to get violent before anything changes, radical changes need radical methods, there have been enough warnings and enough talking.

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick 

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Dick said.

Can't have been many female Met' commissioners that could be mistaken for being a bloke when they are being quoted .. 

17 hours ago, soalbundy said:

It's the goal that matters, by trying for zero one could get a large reduction. These protests need to be world wide, only the young can do it, the pillars of society are too entrenched, too corrupt and aren't interested in anything beyond their own profit and comfort. These protests are going to have to get violent before anything changes, radical changes need radical methods, there have been enough warnings and enough talking.

I would be ecstatic if pollution was reduced. A world without pollution would be wonderful- no plastic waste littering Thai beaches, no burning in Chiang Mai province, no cheap air flights so too many tourists can ruin Thai beaches, no garbage ruining Thai islands.

The tragedy is that the means to reduce pollution are already known- reduce population, put a return fee on every container, whatever it is made from, ban non biodegradable plastic, ban private cars in cities and build a proper, affordable public transport system, ban domestic air travel and build a hi speed rail network, build nuclear power plants to replace oil/ gas/ coal plants, ban cheap international air travel, etc. 

The reason it doesn't happen is that the authorities are too gutless to do it because they fear being booted at the next election.

Best way to reduce pollution and save humanity is to reduce the population of the world.

Best way to reduce population is to educate women so they have less children.

Ask all those "environmental warriors" how much THEY are willing to pay out of their own pocket to educate women in poor countries where the population growth is largest. I'll bet the amount raised is about enough to fund one teacher, if that.

17 hours ago, soalbundy said:

These protests need to be world wide, only the young can do it,

LOL. The problem is mainly in countries where people are too busy trying to earn enough to live on to demonstrate, and as for violence, how long do you think they'd last in China, one of the largest polluters in the world?

It's only in the west where people get paid to do nothing that protests like that can happen.

These protests are going to have to get violent before anything changes,

Wonder if you'll still support that if YOUR car gets burnt by rioters.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Best way to reduce pollution and save humanity is to reduce the population of the world.

Best way to reduce population is to educate women so they have less children.

Ask all those "environmental warriors" how much THEY are willing to pay out of their own pocket to educate women in poor countries where the population growth is largest. I'll bet the amount raised is about enough to fund one teacher, if that.

As a generalization most people supporting environmental issues are politically left of center.

It is not the political left who are opposed to reproductive health education, contraception, access to abortion and those other known means to reduce birth rates, universal welfare and universal health care.

To find the people opposing these proven means of reducing population growth you need to look at the political right wing.

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

To find the people opposing these proven means of reducing population growth you need to look at the political right wing.

That's true in the US, but as the other poster pointed out, it is the developing world where the effort needs to be focused.

According to the UN, population growth in the US is 0.71% annually, ranking 131st in the world, and a pittance compared with countries such as Bahrain (4.26), Oman (4.08), Niger (3.81) .... and even the big ones like Congo (3.22), Nigeria (2.58), Cameroon (2.56), Pakistan (1.91) and Egypt (1.87).

It seems from the science that there is a strong inverse correlation between how much education a woman receives and how many children she has, but I expect it's a tough problem bringing education for females into some of those countries.

Political left v political right isn't the problem - or the solution.

7 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

That's true in the US, but as the other poster pointed out, it is the developing world where the effort needs to be focused.

According to the UN, population growth in the US is 0.71% annually, ranking 131st in the world, and a pittance compared with countries such as Bahrain (4.26), Oman (4.08), Niger (3.81) .... and even the big ones like Congo (3.22), Nigeria (2.58), Cameroon (2.56), Pakistan (1.91) and Egypt (1.87).

It seems from the science that there is a strong inverse correlation between how much education a woman receives and how many children she has, but I expect it's a tough problem bringing education for females into some of those countries.

Political left v political right isn't the problem - or the solution.

Have a read up on the amount of money being cut from international aid for these education programs.

Take a look at the calls to cut international aid to health and education programs and also the arguments made (that you have just used) that education and health care is an essential means of reducing population growth and poverty.

It’s not just cutting cash out of international aid, the reduction in aid also reduces the political influence to encourage receiving nations themselves promoting education and health care as a means to reduce population growth.

When i was born there were 3 billion people now 7 billion by 2050 12 billion,go figure thats the problem,and thats why the animals are dying out we need the space they live in.
I remember driving from London home on the new motorway another car every 10 seconds or more ,now jams miles long

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

As a generalization most people supporting environmental issues are politically left of center.

It is not the political left who are opposed to reproductive health education, contraception, access to abortion and those other known means to reduce birth rates, universal welfare and universal health care.

You completely deflected my post. I was talking about paying to educate women in poor countries, not right wing policies.

If you want to talk about right wing policies, don't quote my post.

I have to say watching these so called activist reminds me as a young man/boy, serving at Grenham Comman. Getting bags of crap thrown at you, getting spat at through the fence and a bunch of 'lay abouts' who seemed to stay weeks on end shouting abuse at you. How could they afford it was my question.  I see some of them are now politicians. Says it all really.

I wonder how many have mobile phones. Wouldn't that be a better and more objective demonstration against global warming and the lengths companies go, to stop using them. I guess it is selective.

2 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I wonder how many have mobile phones. Wouldn't that be a better and more objective demonstration against global warming and the lengths companies go, to stop using them. I guess it is selective.

Yes, but objectivity, rationality and self-awareness are notably absent in these activist groups.

To them, it's all about their feelings. If it feels right, then it must be right, facts notwithstanding.

On 4/21/2019 at 10:36 AM, soalbundy said:

Sure, theyre  all  gonna  junk their cars laptops  electricity use, cheap food  clothes, air  travel, it aint gonna  happen, thankfully.

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You completely deflected my post. I was talking about paying to educate women in poor countries, not right wing policies.

If you want to talk about right wing policies, don't quote my post.

The poster was correct in raising current right wing politics which lean heavily to reducing foreign aid, thereby reducing health education and services in aid recipient countries.

Archived