Stop trying to bring Western ideals

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'd say that many things have changed in Thailand in the 25 years I've been here, the same as many other countries have. So I can't agree with you on that.

Maybe the rate of change for the individual versus the nation has been different then?

These national changes you speak of. They would be mostly superficial and solely cosmetic no?

But on your original comment, I have to agree that having a good wife or partner here does make it much more tenable. I know I put up with a lot more of the increasingly annoying consequences of living in a culturally moribund and morally bankrupt kleptocracy because of my wife. Sometimes I despair that she cannot have some of the same choices I have.

That and getting out of the country 3 or 4 times a year for weeks on end.

On 4/21/2019 at 9:22 AM, Dmaxdan said:

The day anything changes here just because a bunch of Farangs whine about it will be the day that a flock of flying pigs will be spotted doing loop the loops over Pattaya's now (presumably) lovely clean beaches. Nobody really cares what we think which is why our only option is to vent our frustrations on TVF, in a politically correct manner of course.

Finally someone spelled Whine correctly 

whether you like it or not, what is sure pattaya, the whole thailand in fact... will become more and more westernized as long as western tourists keep pouring in. ask people who visited pattaya for 20, 30 years ago, they could tell...or just check some videos on youtube from the seventies during the vietnam war..

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:47 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

I'd say that many things have changed in Thailand in the 25 years I've been here, the same as many other countries have. So I can't agree with you on that.

Agreed. Thailand in few ways resembles the country I fell in love with. The girls are fatter, everyone smiles less, the beaches are ruined from flashpacker hotels and too much jungle has been cut down. 

Pattaya no longer resembles a cheap and cheerful place to have fun.

16 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

whether you like it or not, what is sure pattaya, the whole thailand in fact... will become more and more westernized as long as western tourists keep pouring in. ask people who visited pattaya for 20, 30 years ago, they could tell...or just check some videos on youtube from the seventies during the vietnam war..

Less western tourists in Pattaya now than in the 90s, IMO. Unless one thinks Russians are western. 

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:46 PM, NanLaew said:

These national changes you speak of. They would be mostly superficial and solely cosmetic no?

LOL. Only if one considers the vast amounts of fat that many Thai girls now sport to be superficial or cosmetic.

Back in the 90s or before, Thais didn't have mobile phones grafted to their hands.

36 minutes ago, connda said:

My favorite whinger are the whingers who whinge about whinging expats.  :whistling:

How's that shoe fit? 

good unless you considered you just whinged about the whingers who whing about whinging expats.

Then again I just whinged about your whing about the whingers who whing about whinging expats....

And so it goes....

Well said . These retirees seem to expect Thailand to be like their home countries . Makes me sick . i was in Thailand 30 years ago before all the mass tourist package tours to places like Samui and Pattaya .Then Thailand was great . Nowadays its full of these whingers complaining after they just stepped off the plane from Luton . Most of them have never even travelled and dont know their <deleted> from their elbows , so please guys , go back to Torremolinos which is more suited to you . Your just here for the sunshine and cheap living anyway .

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agreed. Thailand in few ways resembles the country I fell in love with. The girls are fatter, everyone smiles less, the beaches are ruined from flashpacker hotels and too much jungle has been cut down. 

Pattaya no longer resembles a cheap and cheerful place to have fun.

"Pattaya no longer resembles a cheap and cheerful place to have fun"

50 baht beers, a thousand restaurants, food courts at 40 baht a dish and a zillion girls from 700 baht beach rd up to what you want to pay

If you cant find fun in pattaya then your way to jaded and need a western world attitude adjustment

15 hours ago, madmen said:

"Pattaya no longer resembles a cheap and cheerful place to have fun"

50 baht beers, a thousand restaurants, food courts at 40 baht a dish and a zillion girls from 700 baht beach rd up to what you want to pay

If you cant find fun in pattaya then your way to jaded and need a western world attitude adjustment

If you'd been in Pattaya 30 years ago you'd understand what I'm talking about. 300 baht a night hotels, way more barbeers full of happy chappies and BGs ( no sodding smart phones to spend all night looking at ), no shadeless walkway, no decrepit marina, no huge derelict building in front of the lookout, few cons, lovely slim girls. I could go on, but would be getting into verboten territory. 

Archived