Stop trying to bring Western ideals

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I think a lot of Thai personnel departments would want to have a word with you if you ran around calling women "darling" in the workplace as well. Please don't try to dismiss enlightened employment practices as "political correctness."

The personnel department of my local bar doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

25 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The OP has a point. If all the Western customs and mores were to take hold here, I'd have to move somewhere else.

If that ever happened, God forbid, I would probably buy some land!

36 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Mine are worse. I was once prosecuted for 40 motoring offences at one magistrates sitting in the UK. 

Thai driving standards are just my cup of tea, I feel at home here.

Are you anywhere near Chiang Mai? Just asking, forewarned is forearmed.

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Just move to Laos, you hardly see any sidewalks outside of Vientiane, nobody collects the rubbish and they also don't have a law prohibiting smoking at beaches.

Laos! Beaches?

To be serious for a moment I think trying to change some things is alright, with other things not so much.

I.e. it's tradition that sin sod is paid. It does not matter if we like it or not. That won't change anytime soon.

But then there are practical things like i.e. trying to introduce preventive maintenance. Or removing the trash from the garden, or maybe stopping at all red lights, even for pedestrians. I think these are the things we can do and maybe some Thais will discover after a while that these ideas are really not so bad.

But then again when we see how many farangs present "us", running around without shirt and a bottle of beer in one hand and a hooker in the other hand it's not surprising that many Thais don't really see us as role models...

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Just move to Laos, // and they also don't have a law prohibiting smoking at beaches.

They don't need such law; they have no sea, so no beaches :cool:

Edit: Oops, Moonlover posted similar post just 2 minutes before me :wink:

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That's the moment to pat your tilac on her ass below her mini skirt and smile at those backpackers. ???? 

To be fair, the old men with extremely young hookers is a disgusting sight.

As a tourist, it used to bother me - as an expat here, I've 're-programmed' and don't care.  They're both getting what they want ????.

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

stop trying to change another system, if you come here to retire ,to live then stop trying to change things to be politically correct.

Ironically, your trying to police what other expats do and say is exactly what you say they should not do. 

Inception 

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

To be serious for a moment I think trying to change some things is alright, with other things not so much.

I.e. it's tradition that sin sod is paid. It does not matter if we like it or not. That won't change anytime soon.

But then there are practical things like i.e. trying to introduce preventive maintenance. Or removing the trash from the garden, or maybe stopping at all red lights, even for pedestrians. I think these are the things we can do and maybe some Thais will discover after a while that these ideas are really not so bad.

But then again when we see how many farangs present "us", running around without shirt and a bottle of beer in one hand and a hooker in the other hand it's not surprising that many Thais don't really see us as role models...

Nothing we say or think will change anything - it's up to the Thais as to when things change.

21 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

Western countries have become anti-nationalist. So western people come to Thailand with the same attitude. Most Thai's are nationalist however...hence the problem.

Both Brexit and Trump's wall give lie to your statement.

Well what you want and don't want is immaterial to the rest of us who I am sure can make up their own minds about what suits them, and I also doubt we really care about why you moved here. You get first prize for whinger of the week.

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

You've obviously never been to York City F.C. (Kit Kat stadium) visitors end toilets. The worst toilets in the world. No crappers either, just urinals, so guess where people take a crap.

In their pants?

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Stop the even foothpaths, we dont need them,

There is nothing more revolting like a Westerner with a bit of cash like yourself trying to keep the country backwards just because he wants things - especially women to remain cheap.

God forbid a city gets decent footpaths or even something that would make poor and disabled peeople's lives be more comfortable.

I read a rather idiotic blog from a Western sexpat a few years ago in Cambodia who was complaining about foreigners coming to Thailand and ruining his future because everything was getting more expensive. He was against any kind of development and things getting better for the average Cambodian.

Ah yes, OP is in that phase of his Thailand progression.

At the proverbial fork in the road, some take a right turn because, well, ya' just can't overlook the bleedin' obvious anymore.

Some take a hard left and "go native".  The happy go lucky "I bet you don't even speak Thai" farang everyone loves to hate.  Underneath that forced, OTT facade, they are just as miserable as the others, knowing their only way out of the shit hole they're stuck in, is up the chimney of the big pizza oven at the local Wat.  ????

1 hour ago, fishtank said:

How about the Thai driving standards?

Should we not criticise those either?

I find driving here much more pleasurable than back in the nanny state where you are constantly distracted looking at your speedo because if you do 4kms over you will either get pulled over by  a rotten copper or a speed camera will get you. 

It is ridiculous. Pure revenue raising. 

I travel the pattaya motorway often. There is one of the best stretches of road there outbound from Pattaya starting about 500 meters from the regents School overpass.

Four lanes, excellent surface slightly downhill. Flattens out for a bit and then downhill again for a bit. Closest bit of road I have found to the Nurburgring. When it is clear I can absolutely fang it down there and actually get to use my v8 power going over well over 200 Kmh. It is about 5kms of pure driving pleasure.

If I did that in the nanny state they would impound my car. There are always highway patrol on that motorway but they never pull me over, they only pull over trucks with dodgy looking loads.

Rules in Thailand are pretty much only suggestions. People disregard the stupid helmet rules. Sometimes you should wear a helmet, but if you are just popping up to the shops, why make yourself all sweaty for no other reason other than “ you must obey the law”.

In the nanny state you have to wear a silly helmet now on a bloody pushbike. Soft as. As kids we all rode are BMXs on the roads, over jumps and none of us died. And now they are developing helmets for people in cars to wear.

I hear a lot of expats moaning and whining when people on motorbikes drive on the wrong side of the road for short trips. Often because it is more practical and safer than crossing a busy road and doing two u-turns to get to where you are going. It is no big deal when done safely. The Thais all do it, so know to keep a look out for this.

Instead of complaining about it, I embrace the freedom.

51560E5C-25A5-4BB4-8572-490EF0D47C8E.png

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Some even try to grab your private parts. Disgusting!

The regular squirrel grips from the ladies I get walking about town is a highlight of living in Thailand for me.

Not so keen when the ladyboys do it. But you gotta go with the flow.

5 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

I find driving here much more pleasurable than back in the nanny state where you are constantly distracted looking at your speedo because if you do 4kms over you will either get pulled over by  a rotten copper or a speed camera will get you. 

It is ridiculous. Pure revenue raising. 

I travel the pattaya motorway often. There is one of the best stretches of road there outbound from Pattaya starting about 500 meters from the regents School overpass.

Four lanes, excellent surface slightly downhill. Flattens out for a bit and then downhill again for a bit. Closest bit of road I have found to the Nurburgring. When it is clear I can absolutely fang it down there and actually get to use my v8 power going over well over 200 Kmh. It is about 5kms of pure driving pleasure.

If I did that in the nanny state they would impound my car. There are always highway patrol on that motorway but they never pull me over, they only pull over trucks with dodgy looking loads.

Rules in Thailand are pretty much only suggestions. People disregard the stupid helmet rules. Sometimes you should wear a helmet, but if you are just popping up to the shops, why make yourself all sweaty for no other reason other than “ you must obey the law”.

In the nanny state you have to wear a silly helmet now on a bloody pushbike. Soft as. As kids we all rode are BMXs on the roads, over jumps and none of us died. And now they are developing helmets for people in cars to wear.

I hear a lot of expats moaning and whining when people on motorbikes drive on the wrong side of the road for short trips. Often because it is more practical and safer than crossing a busy road and doing two u-turns to get to where you are going. It is no big deal when done safely. The Thais all do it, so know to keep a look out for this.

Instead of complaining about it, I embrace the freedom.

51560E5C-25A5-4BB4-8572-490EF0D47C8E.png

Off to the Guinness book of sheer idiocy...

50 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I like the Western tradition to stop and help when someone causes an accident.

April 26, 2018)- More than one hit-and-run crash occurs every minute on U.S. roads, according to new research from the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety. These resulted in 2,049 deaths in 2016 – the highest number on record and a 60 percent increase since 2009.

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

April 26, 2018)- More than one hit-and-run crash occurs every minute on U.S. roads, according to new research from the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety. These resulted in 2,049 deaths in 2016 – the highest number on record and a 60 percent increase since 2009.

I don't dispute your stats, my post was a bit sarcastic, and based on what we read on Thai news.

In European countries "hits and runs" are more rare, because of the density of the population, among other factors.

Archived