Stop trying to bring Western ideals

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That's the moment to pat your tilac on her ass below her mini skirt and smile at those backpackers. ???? 

Or get your mini-skirted tilac to part her thighs a little so 'her' meat and two veg becomes apparent.

I've always said ... take away western toilets, toilet paper, air conditioning, bread, western food and fancy supermarkets, the internet then double the prices for fe/male companionship  -- 80% will be gone in 90 days.

It amazes me how even the most skint farang manage to live in a bubble since 2000.

2 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

I've always said ... take away western toilets, toilet paper, air conditioning, bread, western food and fancy supermarkets, the internet then double the prices for fe/male companionship  -- 80% will be gone in 90 days.

It amazes me how even the most skint farang manage to live in a bubble since 2000.

Thais prefer western toilets (with bum gun), air con, the internet (Thais would die without Line) and fancy supermarkets. My wife also likes bread and western food. If they doubled the price for female companionship, I'd moan but still could afford it.

I really don't see the point you're trying to make.

18 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I don't dispute your stats, my post was a bit sarcastic, and based on what we read on Thai news.

In European countries "hits and runs" are more rare, because of the density of the population, among other factors.

I think in European hits and runs are more common compared with Thailand,

here it is just called 'nothing to see, save your phone battery, and move on

and  'get as far away from the guilt-pointing-finger' .

9 minutes ago, donim said:

I think in European hits and runs are more common compared with Thailand,

here it is just called 'nothing to see, save your phone battery, and move on

and  'get as far away from the guilt-pointing-finger' .

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but my perception, at least in my country, is that hit and runs are extremely rare.

4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

stop trying to change another system, if you come here to retire ,to live then stop trying to change things to be politically correct.

I wished to stopped flying certain white guys into this country.

2 hours ago, neeray said:

On my first visit to Thailand, I found the foot paths, with contingent liabilities galore, abhorrent. Immediately, I commented to my new Thai gf about our 5' wide, unobstructed, smooth, wheel chair friendly sidewalks in Canada. But as soon as I said it, I realized that I was sounding too much like the immigrants that were aplenty in my youth. How well I remember them saying "how much better things were in the old country." To that I used to think "then why are you here".

Those sidewalks (paths) no longer bother me, nor do many other Thai traits. TIT is now how I view our differences. Seldom ever do I voice my opinion about "the old country". I just adapt and be happy.

I find that whilst I have adapted to Thai 'conditions' in the main, though I still complain about stupid traffic light delays and no roundabouts, it is my Thai wife who has visited the UK on 5/6 occasions who now hates everything about Thailand and says how much better things are in England! 

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

Mine are worse. I was once prosecuted for 40 motoring offences at one magistrates sitting in the UK. 

Thai driving standards are just my cup of tea, I feel at home here.

Bet your insurance company loves the premiums they can charge you

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Totally agree, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a sprained ankle or falling down an uncovered drain. People will complain about anything.

You forgot about the electrical cables on the uneven footpath, with exposed ends>>>>>>

10 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Bet your insurance company loves the premiums they can charge you

All of my convictions were long spent and I enjoyed a full no clams bonus before I left the UK.

In Thailand, I found car insurance to be slightly cheaper if I transferred the car ownership into my wife's name. Thai logic as she has managed to bend the car, not me.

1 hour ago, RobMuir said:

I find driving here much more pleasurable than back in the nanny state where you are constantly distracted looking at your speedo because if you do 4kms over you will either get pulled over by  a rotten copper or a speed camera will get you. 

It is ridiculous. Pure revenue raising. 

I travel the pattaya motorway often. There is one of the best stretches of road there outbound from Pattaya starting about 500 meters from the regents School overpass.

Four lanes, excellent surface slightly downhill. Flattens out for a bit and then downhill again for a bit. Closest bit of road I have found to the Nurburgring. When it is clear I can absolutely fang it down there and actually get to use my v8 power going over well over 200 Kmh. It is about 5kms of pure driving pleasure.

If I did that in the nanny state they would impound my car. There are always highway patrol on that motorway but they never pull me over, they only pull over trucks with dodgy looking loads.

Rules in Thailand are pretty much only suggestions. People disregard the stupid helmet rules. Sometimes you should wear a helmet, but if you are just popping up to the shops, why make yourself all sweaty for no other reason other than “ you must obey the law”.

In the nanny state you have to wear a silly helmet now on a bloody pushbike. Soft as. As kids we all rode are BMXs on the roads, over jumps and none of us died. And now they are developing helmets for people in cars to wear.

I hear a lot of expats moaning and whining when people on motorbikes drive on the wrong side of the road for short trips. Often because it is more practical and safer than crossing a busy road and doing two u-turns to get to where you are going. It is no big deal when done safely. The Thais all do it, so know to keep a look out for this.

Instead of complaining about it, I embrace the freedom.

51560E5C-25A5-4BB4-8572-490EF0D47C8E.png

Having spent 3 months on life support because of a speeding intoxicate driver, and undergone too many surgical procedures, and several months in rehab learning to read, write and walk again, it changes your perspective on driving standards

Thailand has the second highest road traffic fatality rate in the world at 36.2 per 100 000 with an annual estimate of over 24 000 deaths or 66 deaths every day.

While globally 49% of road traffic deaths are among vulnerable road users (pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists), it is 83% in Thailand including 73% among motorcyclists or 48 per day. Additionally Thailand loses 3 to 5 % of its GDP due to road traffic crashes.

13 minutes ago, gmac said:

I find that whilst I have adapted to Thai 'conditions' in the main, though I still complain about stupid traffic light delays and no roundabouts, it is my Thai wife who has visited the UK on 5/6 occasions who now hates everything about Thailand and says how much better things are in England! 

Mine too.  I often joke that when it's time to leave Thailand, she'd probably beat me to the airport.  Although we've lived here full-time 6 1/2 years now, she's definitely 'settled in' again, and her English has deteriorated noticeably. 

Its fair to say that in my first couple of years as an expat I was as bad as anyone could have been. You're out of your depth, you have zero control over most things and even though I had my hand held at home and in work I still expected things to be just like home. What? They don't sell cheese?? Barbarians.

Eventually though you look for the advantages and there are many and you assimilate to things you like and ignore the things you don't.

If you read the gripes on TV, and you would all agree there are many, they all have the underlying current that the OP names, it's not like home. 

It's not. Live with it. Adapt or live in a fug of discontent until you die.

I couldn't have the lifestyle I have now in the UK. End of story.

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

Having spent 3 months on life support because of a speeding intoxicate driver, and undergone too many surgical procedures, and several months in rehab learning to read, write and walk again, it changes your perspective on driving standards

Thailand has the second highest road traffic fatality rate in the world at 36.2 per 100 000 with an annual estimate of over 24 000 deaths or 66 deaths every day.

While globally 49% of road traffic deaths are among vulnerable road users (pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists), it is 83% in Thailand including 73% among motorcyclists or 48 per day. Additionally Thailand loses 3 to 5 % of its GDP due to road traffic crashes.

Yes, a salutary lesson for all. Cars are much safer than bikes in Thailand. After spending my first 8 weeks in Thailand on a bike, I decided to buy a car. Never ridden a bike since.

32 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

It is a reaction to anti-nationalism, it doesn't mean anti-nationalism will stop.

Many Western countries are currently seeing an upturn in right wing nationalism. A major backward step for civilisation IMO.

8 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Many Western countries are currently seeing an upturn in right wing nationalism. A major backward step for civilisation IMO.

I view it as the only way forward.

Let's put white folk first for a change, after all, we invented modern civilisation and almost everything in it.

The fundamental flaw in this thread is in the the title of this thread... 

Ideals....  they're ideal for a reason. Thai's not being an alien species also find ideal things ideal !... 

It's tantamount to starting a thread suggesting we stop wishing for aspects of Thailand to improve !

2 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic,

Yes it was.

2 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

but my perception, at least in my country, is that hit and runs are extremely rare.

Finland?

Anyway I went and did some research just after my post, my interrest of knowing the numbers was triggered. Looked on countries statistics pages and did found some links and reports.

For Thailand, I couldn't find numbers of hit-n-runs yet, but found the numbers of accidents and fatalities.

The statistics of Thailand can be found on ThaiRSC they offer 'live' information of collisions and numbers.

For European I found the following hit-and-runs percentages

hitrunstat.jpg.67394f7c8d60d886d9e7e37fb39e3be5.jpg

4 minutes ago, donim said:

Yes it was.

Finland?

Anyway I went and did some research just after my post, my interrest of knowing the numbers was triggered. Looked on countries statistics pages and did found some links and reports.

For Thailand, I couldn't find numbers of hit-n-runs yet, but found the numbers of accidents and fatalities.

The statistics of Thailand can be found on ThaiRSC they offer 'live' information of collisions and numbers.

For European I found the following hit-and-runs percentages

hitrunstat.jpg.67394f7c8d60d886d9e7e37fb39e3be5.jpg

I like the quotation marked "LIVE" , wonder if they get the irony of that??

Picking up trash...something I have always done...even to this day...has more to do with keeping the places we humans visit clean than political correctness...

I once was visiting a Thai family out in the boonies when I witnessed two school aged children throwing drink cans and candy wrappers out in the front yard...when asked why the lady of the house tolerated this behavior...she replied that she tried to get members of family to use garbage cans conveniently located and was told to bugger off as this is the way people in this village have lived for generations...

Can't argue with Thai logic!...apparently living among garbage appeals to some people...????

4 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Picking up trash...something I have always done...even to this day...has more to do with keeping the places we humans visit clean than political correctness...

I once was visiting a Thai family out in the boonies when I witnessed two school aged children throwing drink cans and candy wrappers out in the front yard...when asked why the lady of the house tolerated this behavior...she replied that she tried to get members of family to use garbage cans conveniently located and was told to bugger off as this is the way people in this village have lived for generations...

Can't argue with Thai logic!...apparently living among garbage appeals to some people...????

And not only in Thailand unfortunately and not only external to the dwelling 

Archived